Guide Wifi Ad Hoc Working Samsung 10.1v

Search This thread

brucedbr

Mar 13, 2011
Worked Beautifully

I got this thing to work eventually, everything you need to know is in this thread but there is a lot of stuff you don't need to know too so I hope to get this right first time. This is, I hope the definitive how to create ad hoc capability on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 without any noob confusion. There is some cut and paste from the thread here so thanks to the original authors.
Follow all these steps.

You will need;

1. a rooted SGT 10.1 - Do this by searching the forum for instructions. Do this first, then come back here and continue. [I do not know if or how it works on other devices - DON'T ASK]

2. ES File Explorer from the android Market

3. Download hacked the wpa_supplicant from this post to your SGT. [If you visit the page with your SGT, the file will download to 'home>download' on your device, if not, put it there yourself so it can be found later]

ONCE YOU HAVE ALL THOSE THINGS, CONTINUE...

4. Open ES File Explorer and in settings menu select Root options. - menu>settings> tick root explorer and mount file system - say yes to popup.

5. Click the home button to get to your SGT home screen, tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to on. [You can reboot here, it won't hurt]

6. Make sure airplane mode is on then using ES File Explorer on your SGT, navigate to 'system/bin to find the file called wpa_supplicant, do a long press on this file and select rename, keep the name but add .bak or.old to it so it is now called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old

7. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate to home>download and find the wpa_supplicant_wifi_adhoc folder, click it once to open it, long press on the file called wpa_supplicant and select copy.

8. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate back to system/bin then long press on an empty part of the screen and select paste. You should now have two wpa_supplicant files, one called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old and one called wpa_supplicant which is now the hacked version.

9. The wpa_supplicant needs to have the correct permissions to work properly so tap it twice, [don't open it] then with the file highlighted tap the file menu [3 lines at the bottom of the screen] select operations>properties>change, there are 9 boxes, make sure there is a green tick in all of the read column, all of the write column and the top line in the execute column. Like this

X X X
X X
X X

Click OK twice. [You can reboot here]

10. From the SGT home screen tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to off. Turn on your phone's wifi sharing and hopefully your SGT will find it.

That's it. This is how I did it and it works with my Nokia N8 using Joikuspot premium, it should work with the free version too. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks so much for this! Worked perfectly for me!! I'm on a Retail Galaxy Tab 10.1 and a Samsung Charge! I'd click a "thanks" but for the life of me, I can't find one!

davidwicht

Sep 17, 2011
I want to thank you for correcting the misleading and confusing info on the net on replacing the wpa_supplicant. Wanting to use my Xperia to tether to the 10.1 , I duly rooted my 10.1 and replaced the file (before I found your post) and screwed up my wifi ("error"). I subsequently added your push commands using a terminal emulator and wifi started working again (but not before I did a hard reset in desperation and lost all my prior downloads - aarghh!). However, the wifi connection was VERY unstable and kept dropping in and out, so I have reinstated the original file (plus your push commands again) and it seems to be back to a stable connection. After nearly 3 lost days trying to get this to work I am back to square one. Do you know why the WPA file might be so unstable? Are there additional push commands missing? Is there a more stable wpa_supplicant replacement file out there? Thanks for your help.

lmcarminatti

Sep 25, 2011
ADB

Excuse me, my device is rooted, and i went through all these steps, except the very last one...

when you say i should have ADB installed, what is that? what do i have to do?

sorry if its a stupid question, i couldnt get through the command prompt steps...

thank you very much!

isimobile

Aug 8, 2011
Centurion
Excuse me, my device is rooted, and i went through all these steps, except the very last one...

sorry if its a stupid question, i couldnt get through the command prompt steps...

thank you very much!

Adb is part of android sdk. So did you install that?

Send from my GT-P7100

abstrusius

Dec 19, 2010
Rio de Janeiro

thank you very much!

I replaced the original wpa_supplicant using Root Explorer alone. Root Explorer is able to do everything ADB does with much less effort, IMO: mount the directory in read/write mode, and change permissions and ownership. Thanks OP!!!

jchorton4

Aug 6, 2011
blicht10069, thank you. I was going crazy with the constant disconnects. Everything is great with the correct wpa_supplicant file.

ronkeller8

Jan 15, 2011
Working...

....on my rooted SGT 8.9. Replaced wpa_supplicant, changed permissions, rebooted and all was well. Able to connect via MyWi on my iPhone.
Thanks!

mrfrink

Nov 4, 2011
I followed the guide and now, i can access the internet via wifi-tethering through my Nexus One.

However, there is an issue when I set up an ad-hoc network via Ubuntu: When I try to connect to the ad-hoc network, my Galaxy Tab enters a loop: Obtaining IP address -> disconnect -> obtaining IP address ...
I tried it with both, an encrypted and an unencrypted ad hoc network.
Does anybody know a solution?

mservilla

Nov 12, 2011
Hi there....

I have recently purchased a SGT 10.1 WiFi only and rooted it with no problems. I have followed this thread and using root explorer placed the hacked WPA_supplicant file in the system/bin folder, and set the permissions. I use a Droid Bionic with Open Garden WiFi Tether (also tried Barnacle) to set up my access point. I too end up in an endless loop: Obtaining IP address -> disconnect -> obtaining IP address ...and no connection.

A few questions are:

Can someone point me to the correct WPA_supplicant hacked file? I see there have been several posted (I have tried 3 from this thread).

I have noticed that there are two different posts for 755 permissions: one with only the top box checked for write, and all checked for execute; and the other with all the boxes checked for write, and only the top for execute. Which permissions is the correct one (I also have tried both and have the same response, so this is a mute point so far)?

Lastly, a philosophical question, why do the tabs not already come stock allowing ad hoc networks?

Thanks!

Last edited:

phoophan

Sep 8, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm a noob, and proud of it, so here is a noob question;

1. I have a brand new AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Smartphone with a 2gb Data plan.
2. I also have a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Tablet WiFi ONLY.
3. I want to use the the Tablet out in the field by tethering off of my Galaxy S II Smartphone with the Data plan.

Is this what's described above? It appears to me to be the other way around. If it is does anyone know a thread or App that let's me tether my Tablet off of my Smartphone?

Thanks...

Notios1981

Jul 3, 2009
Another Solution

Hi All,

I have another solution if your phone/tablet supports wi-fi tethering you can act as a hotspot and connect your pc to your mobile device.
I have tested this and managed to perform a vnc connection from my SGSII to my Windows XP Laptop. There was no other connection between the devices.

If you turn on the wi-fi tethering and search for wireless network from your laptop/desktop you should see your Android Network. Finally, I haven't tested if i can share cable connected internet (Via LAN) or if more than one devices can connect to my android wi-fi network.

Be carefull!!! Close any 3G Internet connection in your phone/tablet or you'll be charged by your mobile Carrier.

Hope Helped,
Notios

tigreguy

Feb 27, 2009
Ad-Hoc on Galaxy Tab 10.1

I have a Verizon HDMA TP2 (Touch Pro 2) windows mobile phone. I have been wanting to teather it with my Galaxy Tab 10.1 which does not recognize Ad-Hoc. I have not had any luck thus far. My tab is rooted. I have WMWifi Router installed on this phone but it uses Ad-Hoc.........See my problem....
I have noticed many postings and directions on how to do this but wonder if they are referring to using an Android Phone connecting to an Android tab.

If anybody out there knows of a way to make this happen I am willing to listen.

Thank you,
Tony

Beav5755

Dec 9, 2011
Thank you, this is perfect and it worked first time with my retail Galaxy Tab 10.1 wifi only and my Sprint ET4G.

I couldn't get full file access with ES File Explorer but Root Explorer did the trick.

Thanks again.

hanyhon2004

Jun 8, 2008
Is there any way ( app or bug fix) to make the web browsing using 3g connection in full resolution like browsing using wifi ?

art461

Mar 17, 2012
help!

I got this thing to work eventually, everything you need to know is in this thread but there is a lot of stuff you don't need to know too so I hope to get this right first time. This is, I hope the definitive how to create ad hoc capability on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 without any noob confusion. There is some cut and paste from the thread here so thanks to the original authors.
Follow all these steps.

You will need;

1. a rooted SGT 10.1 - Do this by searching the forum for instructions. Do this first, then come back here and continue. [I do not know if or how it works on other devices - DON'T ASK]

3. Download hacked the wpa_supplicant from this post to your SGT. [If you visit the page with your SGT, the file will download to 'home>download' on your device, if not, put it there yourself so it can be found later]

4. Open ES File Explorer and in settings menu select Root options. - menu>settings> tick root explorer and mount file system - say yes to popup.

5. Click the home button to get to your SGT home screen, tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to on. [You can reboot here, it won't hurt]

6. Make sure airplane mode is on then using ES File Explorer on your SGT, navigate to 'system/bin to find the file called wpa_supplicant, do a long press on this file and select rename, keep the name but add .bak or.old to it so it is now called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old

7. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate to home>download and find the wpa_supplicant_wifi_adhoc folder, click it once to open it, long press on the file called wpa_supplicant and select copy.

8. Using ES File Explorer on your SGT 10.1 navigate back to system/bin then long press on an empty part of the screen and select paste. You should now have two wpa_supplicant files, one called wpa_supplicant.bak or wpa_supplicant.old and one called wpa_supplicant which is now the hacked version.

9. The wpa_supplicant needs to have the correct permissions to work properly so tap it twice, [don't open it] then with the file highlighted tap the file menu [3 lines at the bottom of the screen] select operations>properties>change, there are 9 boxes, make sure there is a green tick in all of the read column, all of the write column and the top line in the execute column. Like this

X X X
X X
X X

10. From the SGT home screen tap the battery/wifi indicator at the bottom right of the home screen, select settings>wireless and networks and tick flight mode to off. Turn on your phone's wifi sharing and hopefully your SGT will find it.

That's it. This is how I did it and it works with my Nokia N8 using Joikuspot premium, it should work with the free version too. GOOD LUCK!

OK, I followed all the steps, but probably at step 9 I ticked something wrong, now I don't have wifi at all..... .
I cannot remove, replace or change the file! (Read: yes; writ: no; hidden: no).

I also can't reset the GT P7510, Android 3.2, to the factory settings: network failure!

Who can help??

RevKBA

Apr 1, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Cyanogenmod 9

FYI:

I've flashed the Cyanogenmod 9 ROM to my GT10.1.

This method does not work for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think so. After the hack, wifi will not turn on at all for me. Is anyone else having this trouble?

brebete

Oct 27, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
I followed the guide and now, i can access the internet via wifi-tethering through my Nexus One.

However, there is an issue when I set up an ad-hoc network via Ubuntu: When I try to connect to the ad-hoc network, my Galaxy Tab enters a loop: Obtaining IP address -> disconnect -> obtaining IP address ...
I tried it with both, an encrypted and an unencrypted ad hoc network.
Does anybody know a solution?

Hi, you need to use a DHCP server in your Ubuntu to provide an IP for you tablet. Or you can set a static IP.
Because, when your tablet connect in your adhoc network, it start to ask for an IP, so, if your Ubuntu does not
have a dhcp server, your tablet will never find an IP.

Sorry for my bad english

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,

I have just gotten Wifi Ad Hoc connection working in the Samsung 10.1v (don't see why it won't work on the 10.1 either)

You need to have adb installed and your Tablet needs to be rooted.

I used 2 threads as reference for making this work:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1069569

and
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1033314

As a newbie to this i will show you what i did, maybe someone can clean up the process with a simple approach:

You need to turn on Airplane mode to disable wifi, or you will get an error when trying to copy the wpa_supplicant file later on in the instructions...

I had trouble with the adb push command (shown in the above threads) so I did this instead.
    Unzip and copy wpa_supplicant file (attached) to Tablet (I used downloads directory)

Get ES File Explorer from Market
    Open ES File Explorer and in settings menu select Root options.
    Set Root Explorer and use HiAPK
    Then Tick Mount File System, then exit menu and navigate to /system/bin and copy wpa_supplicant to somewhere safe (I made backup directory in storage/ sd memory)
    Now copy new wpa_supplicant file from where you saved it (downloads directory) to /system/bin

Now in windows command box type:
    adb shell
    # su
    # mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    # chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    # chown system.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
    # exit

Now reboot and turn off airplane mode and enjoy.

Usual conditions if you follow this and something bad happens please don't blame me i used the above method (with trial and error) which worked for me (but maybe i just got lucky)
    Also I want to acknowledge the hard working devs that pioneered the process and created the file - great work!!

Good luck...
    Tidy up

Follow all these steps.

You will need;

X X X
    X X
    X X

I used adb and it worked "MAKE SURE THAT YOU LOCK THE PERMISSION with CHMOD 755 or it will not work"

put the tablet in airplane mode
    I download the file put into C:\ of desk top
    I had backup my original by using adb pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    these are commands and responses

>adb shell
    root@android:/ # su
    su
    root@android:/ # mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system
    chmod 777 /system
    root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system/bin
    chmod 777 /system/bin
    root@android:/ # chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    chmod 777 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    root@android:/ # exit
    exit
    exit

>adb push c:\wpa_supplicant /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    1267 KB/s (295964 bytes in 0.228s)

>adb shell
    root@android:/ # su
    su
    root@android:/ # mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
    root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system/bin
    chmod 755 /system/bin
    root@android:/ # chmod 755 /system
    chmod 755 /system
    exit
    exit
    Hi All,

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15096858&postcount=9

Well, I was looking in the wrong place. For people with 10.1 (non V) and WIFI only this link above links to the appropriate wpa_supplicant file to use for replacement. This works stabily on my tab.

Ben
    Dear, i am a noob here, maybe you guys could help me, i got a Galaxy Tab 10.1 but does not have 3G, i just want it to recognize AC-HOC WIFI... I allready rooted my Tab and copied the new wpa_supplicant on System/bin.. but the simple thing that i do not understand.. where do i write those commands?? Where is the windows box?? There is no box or file or command box that i can write those commands.. if you can do a video and upload it in youtube, i will be glad.. Thanks Very Much..

Buy Root Explorer from Market.
    Copy wpa_supplicant into your Tab root.
    Unplug your tab and turn the wifi off
    Run Root Explorer.
    Open sdcard folder. Find the wpa_supplicant where you put it.
    Press and hold the wpa_supplicant file then copy it.
    Hit Go back arrow then open system folder and open bin folder.
    Hit Mount R/W on the top. Then hit Paste button at the bottom
    Then hold the wpa_supplicant file to set permission 755 (open link below before set permission)
    then hit Mount R/W again
    reboot
    Turn the wifi on
    enjoy

File Permissions Calculator:
    http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.uk/resources/whatchmod.html