[MOD][Wi-Fi Tether] WiFi Tether on Stock ROM

Search This thread

damastah

Jun 29, 2009
Desert Hot Springs
Screenshot_2012-12-15-13-43-13_zps86152520.png

You don't really need this rom to use wifi tether. Just do what I say, and you'll be fine. Google search and download WifiTether_TrevE_Mod_11_22_2012.apk. After you download it, you need to change settings as following otherwise it won't work(rest of other settings are up to you)

Device Profile: Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)
Setup Method: Netd-NDC (master)
Send Netd Max Client Cmd: Check
Wifi-driver reload: Check
Wifi-driver reload 2: Check
Keep Alive - Connection Checking: Check
Routing fix: Check.

I went ahead and made a video for this. Thanks a million. Works on the AT&T Note II as well

How to Install WiFi Tethering on the Galaxy Note II

jpleez

Oct 12, 2009
This may be a silly question but why should I do this versus using the mobile hot spot feature. Is there any additional benefit? Also someone said, a few posts back,to leave out some of the settings that were initially told to set. Is this true or not?

Sent from my stock, rooted. SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

bond32

Jun 26, 2010
Franklin
This may be a silly question but why should I do this versus using the mobile hot spot feature. Is there any additional benefit?

Sent from my stock, rooted. SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

The benefit is that the tether app doesn't drop data connection due to the phone + verizon failing to assign new ip addresses. Data will drop completely when connecting the hot spot to computers, laptops, etc. This is just speculation but it appears to be a problem with JB because my gf's Droid dna did the same and she pays for the hot spot fee.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Diversion

Mar 2, 2010
The benefit is that the tether app doesn't drop data connection due to the phone + verizon failing to assign new ip addresses. Data will drop completely when connecting the hot spot to computers, laptops, etc. This is just speculation but it appears to be a problem with JB because my gf's Droid dna did the same and she pays for the hot spot fee.

I've seen the Trev-E app do the same where 4g drops over and over until you toggle off and on again. .Sometimes that doesn't even help.. I've seen it where i've had to battle this issue for about 30 minutes of rebooting the phone and toggling hotspot over and over until it decides to stop dropping.

guitarist5122

May 25, 2010
Delaware

Strange. I never get a data drop when connecting other devices with mobile hotspot. I often use hotspot too, for school.

Sent From My Gargantuan Note 2

andrewjt19

I have used this App before with my Droid X, HTC Incredible, Droid Charge... It works well and is open source (I believe) so it always gets updated. If I recall correctly, it might even be in the Market now... not sure. Anyways with my Galaxy Nexus (which my wife is using now), the native app always worked the best, so sometimes its just the hardware/software problematics. Will give the app a try though before the system change option. Thanks

spetzuu

May 1, 2012
Sioux Falls
Having recently come from several moto phones where it was a 3 second fix with sql lite to enable wifi tethering, I figured it should be about as easy on my new Note... false.

Haven't seen anything related yet, so I found a way to get stock/native WiFi tethering working on the GNII, on the stock rom, without the use of any market apps. Based off other methods I saw for doing the same thing on the GSIII by modifying /system/framework/framework-res.apk to not call the entitlement check app when you fire up wifi tethering.

Directions:

1. Be on stock ROM build JRO03C.I605VRALJB .. if you are not, it will likely hose your phone
  2. Be rooted..
  3. Backup /system/app/SPG.apk .. then delete it
  4. Backup /system/framework/framework-res.apk DO NOT DELETE IT!!
    [*]Download modified framework-res.apk I have created, and copy to internal storage ( /sdcard )
    [*]Run these commands with ADB:
    Code:
    adb shell
    shell@android:/ $ su
    shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock4 /system
    shell@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/framework-res.apk of=/system/framework/framework-res.apk
    [*]Phone will freeze/lockup/hangup because you just overwrote a open file.. so reboot it or pull battery to reset
    [*]Profit :D

I don't do this stuff everyday, so I take no responsibility if you jack your phone up, but I did this on mine, and works great.. and best part is you can stay stock without messing with crappy WiFi tether apps out there. Also worth noting is any OTA's that come down wire and that are blindly applied will ruin your day as well, so before you apply any OTA, reverse the above directions to put the stock framework-res.apk file back so that everything works.

CREDITS:

If you guys need free wifi tether without the modding and rooting, just search in Google "foxfi apk" download it and then find a file "foxfi key" and you get free wifi tether without any modding or rooting.

:)

Sent from my ♥RUSSIAN♥ SCH-I605 ? jelly beans build 10

runandhide05

Apr 3, 2011
took the liberty to get this setup on RALL4, and in a flashable zip.
this will take care of everything for you.
will rename SPG.apk to SPG.bak ( backup for save keeping )
and will flash the modified framework-res

NOTE

if you have any other framework-res mods this will undo them, because this is base off stock de-odex framework

Note2_RALL4_tether.zip - 21.82 MB

GoBears

Nov 1, 2011

You don't really need this rom to use wifi tether. Just do what I say, and you'll be fine. Google search and download WifiTether_TrevE_Mod_11_22_2012.apk. After you download it, you need to change settings as following otherwise it won't work(rest of other settings are up to you)

I was having trouble tethering my Nexus 10 and my Nexus 7 to my GNote2. This apk with these settings has worked perfect. Thank You!

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
Routing fix: Check.!

FYI, it's more stable for me setting the device type to Galaxy S3 versus Generic ICS/JB.

AspenMan

Jun 25, 2007
Denver
This works perfectly! Thanks for the info! Much easier than modding files, ADB, etc... Thanks!!!

cnotes2019

Nov 6, 2012
After downloading the trev wifi tether app I get "there was a problem parsing the package" any ideas how to get this to work ? I'm on beans v7. Thanks

jeffreynew23

Sep 11, 2007

NOTE

if you have any other framework-res mods this will undo them, because this is base off stock de-odex framework

This was working until I did the 4.12 update. Is there a fix to this?

larry_thagr81

Dec 30, 2012

Does it matter if the stock ROM is odex or deodex?

stewwmann

Feb 2, 2013
San Diego
Thanks, but

Foxfi will work if you enable a pin lock screen and let it install a certificate. Then blow your pin 5 times in a row. It will ask you for your gmail account info. That removes the pin lock and keeps foxfi working.

Umm...thanks,but it just keeps telling me to try again in 15 secs after each 5 tries....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have trie fatten hotspot toggle. Fail. Wireless tether. Fail. Built in factory tether starts and stuff connect but consta tly drops out 4g while in use so fail. Even tried ttreve mod from gs3 forum and fail. So what in beans build works? What are you using because I cant get any of them to work and not wanting to do this mod.

Having recently come from several moto phones where it was a 3 second fix with sql lite to enable wifi tethering, I figured it should be about as easy on my new Note... false.

Haven't seen anything related yet, so I found a way to get stock/native WiFi tethering working on the GNII, on the stock rom, without the use of any market apps. Based off other methods I saw for doing the same thing on the GSIII by modifying /system/framework/framework-res.apk to not call the entitlement check app when you fire up wifi tethering.

Directions:

1. Be on stock ROM build JRO03C.I605VRALJB .. if you are not, it will likely hose your phone
    2. Be rooted..
    3. Backup /system/app/SPG.apk .. then delete it
    4. Backup /system/framework/framework-res.apk DO NOT DELETE IT!!
      [*]Download modified framework-res.apk I have created, and copy to internal storage ( /sdcard )
      [*]Run these commands with ADB:
      Code:
      adb shell
      shell@android:/ $ su
      shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock4 /system
      shell@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/framework-res.apk of=/system/framework/framework-res.apk
      [*]Phone will freeze/lockup/hangup because you just overwrote a open file.. so reboot it or pull battery to reset
      [*]Profit :D

I don't do this stuff everyday, so I take no responsibility if you jack your phone up, but I did this on mine, and works great.. and best part is you can stay stock without messing with crappy WiFi tether apps out there. Also worth noting is any OTA's that come down wire and that are blindly applied will ruin your day as well, so before you apply any OTA, reverse the above directions to put the stock framework-res.apk file back so that everything works.

CREDITS:

NOTE

This worked perfectly, this has been the best tether method I've used. It doesn't drop signal like other methods I've tried. Thanks for this!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
    I think data drops sue to VZW throttling the phone. I remember someone made a hack for the rezound to remove the throttling on the 4g, I think we need that here.

No.