[Q] rooting SGH-T999 with Skipsoft

Search This thread

fdecker

Mar 22, 2014
I've read as much as I can and I just need a little more help. I want to be able to root my T-Mobile Galaxy S3, SGH-T999.

1. Is there any other way to pull files from /data/data without rooting?
2. Can I just do a simple root and then later root with CWM or TWRP using another option?
3. I thought rooted was rooted, what is the need for "insecure boot"? Is that the only way to get a file image backup of my partitions?
4. None of the rooting options in the Skipsoft Android Toolkit wipe the device, correct?
5. Is the only way to be able to "recover" back to stock by installing a "custom recovery"?

All of the options include "custom recovery". What if I just want to root the device and install a custom recovery later? Or it custom recovery included in all the options so I can get back to stock if I mess up? Thanks!

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
I am not sure why you'd need to go to such extent.

By your question on Insecure Kernel, I assume, you have Stock 4.3 update. If so, please flash SuperSU Zip via Custom Recovery. You can Also flash Root66 of 4.3 (UVUEMJC ) to get Root as well. None of these methods are destructive and make you loose your data.

As to your other questions, /data/data should be accessible read only to Good File explorers such as ES File Explorer. My Backup Pro should be able to backup those files too. Insecure boot is needed to root as SELINUX Enforcing will not let you have Stable Root. Best Flash ATT Insecure Kernel Posted on this sub forum. I don't understand what you mean by "Recover to Stock".

fdecker

Mar 22, 2014
can't do anything without root

I tried ES File explorer and 2 others, they show /data/data as blank. Most everywhere I've looked says you have to have root

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
In that case please post your Current Android version and what you see under Baseband. What step we take next depends on this information.

fdecker

Mar 22, 2014
Thanks!

Root 66 Will not work you will need Auto Root, CWM/TWRP and Update SuperSU for a complete root.

CF-Auto-Root-d2tmo-d2tmo-sght999.tar
openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-d2tmo
UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93
DE-SAMSUNGNIZER_KNOX_REMOVAL_SCRIPT_V1.0

For a suceed root and Knox remove.

Thanks, this is great. I rooted the same model phone that was on OS 4.1.2 by uploading root66 with Odin and it worked in one step. I see now that root66 is not the way to go on the 4.3 phone just yet. I will follow your tips. I see too that I have to get rid of Knox and make sure the recovery partition does not get reset. Think I should put busybox out there too, or with TWRP and SuperSU do I have all I need?

Thank you very much for your help!

jmberumenb

Dec 31, 2007
El Paso
Thanks, this is great. I rooted the same model phone that was on OS 4.1.2 by uploading root66 with Odin and it worked in one step. I see now that root66 is not the way to go on the 4.3 phone just yet. I will follow your tips. I see too that I have to get rid of Knox and make sure the recovery partition does not get reset. Think I should put busybox out there too, or with TWRP and SuperSU do I have all I need?

I used the TWRP and SuperSU method no problems so far.

Reactions: fdecker

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I used the TWRP and SuperSU method no problems so far.