[How-To] Root and unlock the bootloader of the Nexus 4/5 without wiping data

Search This thread

mihahn

May 26, 2012
This is a tutorial on how to root and unlock the bootloader of the nexus 4 without wiping any data!

Note: I'm not responsible for any damage on your phone! You choose to do these modifications and you are responsible for any problems!

I tested this on Android 4.4.3, but you may try it on other android versions, too. Please report if it works :)

Devices you can root using this app:
- Nexus 4: 4.4.3, 4.4.4
- Nexus 5, 4.4.3

1. Install the towelroot app (xda thread) from the project site! Please thank geohot, he made this possible!

2. Open the app and click on "make it ra1n"

3. Wait 15 seconds and the phone will reboot!

Congratulations! Your phone is rooted now!

4. Install either SuperSu or Superuser

a) In the app update your binary the "normal way" (without a custom recovery)

b)
1. Install BootUnlocker for nexus devices to unlock your bootloader! In the app, click "unlock" to unlock it!

2. Now you are able to install a custom recovery like TWRP or cwm

3. Boot up your system again, open SuperSu or Superuser and update the binary (using "TWRP/CWM")

This is it! You're rooted now and you can easily unlock/relock your bootloader using the BootUnlocker app without wiping any data ;)

Note: This was not my work! I just wrote down some steps to root and unlock :)

How to unroot:

1. Reflash the stock recovery image/stock kernel/etc (only necessary if you are running a custom kernel/recovery/etc)

2. Open BootUnlocker and lock the bootloader. Now you are able to uninstall the app!

3. Open SuperSu -> Settings -> Full unroot. This will unroot your phone and the app will automatically be uninstalled.

4. Reboot and done ;)

Attachments

• BootUnlocker.png
    BootUnlocker.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 2,613
  • towelroot.png
    towelroot.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,420
Last edited:

salxtai

Feb 28, 2011
noob clarifications

Hey, came across your post in another post where you mentioned this method would prevent the posibility of the phone being wiped when unlocked + rooted via "traditional" methods using a PC w SDK etc. Phone at present is locked, unrooted stock Nexus 4 kitkat 4.4.4 stock.

Just wanted to clarify a few points since this is the first time I've come across a method where the phone is rooted and unlocked from within itself (I've rooted and unlocked a HTC desire back in my heydays).

--- Do I need to unlock the phone if I just want to change the kernel from stock to the Matr1x kernel? (I had taken unlocking as a given as it was the first step in every guide - there is no mention of steps on how to actually install the kernel but I was going to research that process once root and unlock was done successfully)

--- Any chance you can give steps on updating the binary the 'normal' way? (never done this before)

--- How do you install CWM using your method? Again, I have only seen it being installed via command lines from the PC

Apologies in advance for the dumb questions but searched and couldn't find any clear answers for those steps that I'm not understanding :confused:

mihahn

May 26, 2012
Hey, came across your post in another post where you mentioned this method would prevent the posibility of the phone being wiped when unlocked + rooted via "traditional" methods using a PC w SDK etc. Phone at present is locked, unrooted stock Nexus 4 kitkat 4.4.4 stock.

Just wanted to clarify a few points since this is the first time I've come across a method where the phone is rooted and unlocked from within itself (I've rooted and unlocked a HTC desire back in my heydays).

--- Do I need to unlock the phone if I just want to change the kernel from stock to the Matr1x kernel? (I had taken unlocking as a given as it was the first step in every guide - there is no mention of steps on how to actually install the kernel but I was going to research that process once root and unlock was done successfully)

--- Any chance you can give steps on updating the binary the 'normal' way? (never done this before)

--- How do you install CWM using your method? Again, I have only seen it being installed via command lines from the PC

Apologies in advance for the dumb questions but searched and couldn't find any clear answers for those steps that I'm not understanding :confused:
1. To flash a kernel you have to unlock your bootloader, that's right. You just flash it using your PC and fastboot, there are many guides on how to do that ;)

2. If your phone is rooted and you have SuperSU installed there'll be a popup and it'll tell you to update the binary before using the app. You are able to select the "normal" way then without a recovery :)

3. You can install CWM/TWRP using your PC in fastboot mode! ;)

No problem, just ask :good:

PGvossman

Nov 7, 2013
I think I'll give it a try then (assuming there's no risk of bricking my phone or doing irreversible damage). On that subject, is there an easy way to lock the bootloader and unroot?

Soymicmic

May 1, 2012
I tested this on Android 4.4.3, but you may try it on other android versions, too. Please report if it works :)

I tested this on Android 4.4.4... it works fine! ;)

Note: with TowelRoot v3 it isn't necessary reboot, but when I've tried to update SuperSu it fails so reboot and that's all

Thanks so much!

PGvossman

Nov 7, 2013
I apologize for asking so many questions but what exactly is "updating the binaries". Is that just for the app itself or does it do something to the phone?

dodgebizkit

This is a tutorial on how to root and unlock the bootloader of the nexus 4 without wiping any data!

Note: I'm not responsible for any damage on your phone! You choose to do these modifications and you are responsible for any problems!

1. Install the towelroot app (xda thread) from the project site! Please thank geohot, he made this possible!

F

b)
1. Install BootUnlocker for nexus devices to unlock your bootloader! In the app, click "unlock" to unlock it!

3. Boot up your system again, open SuperSu or Superuser and update the binary (using "TWRP/CWM")

This is it! You're rooted now and you can easily unlock/relock your bootloader using the BootUnlocker app without wiping any data ;)

How to unroot:

1. Reflash the stock recovery image/stock kernel/etc (only necessary if you are running a custom kernel/recovery/etc)

2. Open BootUnlocker and lock the bootloader. Now you are able to uninstall the app!

3. Open SuperSu -> Settings -> Full unroot. This will unroot your phone and the app will automatically be uninstalled.

4. Reboot and done ;)
Thanks, for the average user who doesn't use custom roms or anything really crazy, is super su or Superuser a better option? Or is it the same more or less? Thanks

mihahn

May 26, 2012

Messpelled

Dec 9, 2011
That was easy

Of course I don't see this thread unitl after I spent the last hour setting everything up in Ubuntu to root the old fashioned way! Used this and was rooted in no time.

Oct 25, 2012
ota updates affected or not?

does using this towelroot will affect the ota updates i.e. if any ota update comes will i able to install as in the stock rom...?? please clarify this...

marculin

Jul 29, 2014
b)

Hi, I have rooted Nexus 4 4.4.4 with towelroot app (and I have SuperSu app).
Now, If I install custom recovery, I will lost data? With custom recovery, I will get OTA update?
Thank you

nexusfans

Jul 29, 2014
blank nexus 4 without ROM :(

hi

i tried to install android L, forgot to backup the old ROM , unable to flash the new android L and i cant even restore the old ROM because i forgot to backup the ROM. Tried to do ADB SIDELOAD also....it says cannot read the (file)...tried so many times
i am unable to install a ROM in my nexus 4....only thing i can see in my phone is recovery mode....:(
Kindly please help.........anyone please reply to this post....and help me...... :(

pincher65

Oct 19, 2013
nizniy novgorod
Realme C25
hi

i tried to install android L, forgot to backup the old ROM , unable to flash the new android L and i cant even restore the old ROM because i forgot to backup the ROM. Tried to do ADB SIDELOAD also....it says cannot read the (file)...tried so many times
i am unable to install a ROM in my nexus 4....only thing i can see in my phone is recovery mode....:(
Kindly please help.........anyone please reply to this post....and help me...... :(
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/how-to-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2010312

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Devices you can root using this app:
    - Nexus 4: 4.4.3, 4.4.4
    - Nexus 5, 4.4.3

b)

How to unroot:

4. Reboot and done ;)
    Yes, I have updated my Nexus 4 to Lollipop, and I've lost my root!!
    Is there any solution to root or unlock BT without wiping ?:mad:
    Any news on rooting Lollipop without losing data?? :confused: :confused:

No, not that I know of. Sorry..