[ROOT] How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

Search This thread

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
[ROOT] How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux/MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

This is a simple Step-by-Step guide on How To: How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux or Mac - Noob (Simple) Version. The main group steps are outlined with A, B, C while the sub-group steps are outlined with 1, 2, 3.

Prerequisites:

1. Software: Linux (tested on Linux Ubuntu Quantal Quetzal 32-bit and 64-bit) or Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later (32-bit and 64-bit)
2. Hardware: Free USB 2.0 or Greater Port
3. Software: Linux GNU C Library (glibc) 2.7 or later is required, On Ubuntu Linux, version 8.04 or later is required,
64-bit distributions must be capable of running 32-bit applications.
4. Hardware: Kindle Fire HD 7" or Kindle Fire 2 7"

icon4.gif
Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

It is important that you use our Software since we use the latest versions of Superuser.apk and the su binary.

A) First we will install the needed software, then move on to Rooting the Kindle through the ADB Service.

Unplug the Kindle from USB. Go to your Kindle, navigate to the pull down options bar, choose More > Security

Be sure to Enable ADB by clicking On

Next Go to your Kindle, navigate to the pull down options bar, choose More > Device

Be sure to Allow Installation of Applications by clicking On

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 1: Go to your Mac or Linux workstation, download and unzip Root MANY ANDROID! there are 3 different versions, we have taken steps to optimized for each specific platform, please select the correct one matching your platform. If you are having trouble determining which one to download post the question inside this thread. Pay close attention to the path where you unzipped the download.

Linux 32-bit Version 18.5.1: Linux32.zip
Linux 64-bit Version 18.5.1: Linux64.zip
Mac 64-bit Version 18.5.1: Apple64.zip

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 2: Plug the Kindle into the free USB 2.0 Port. Wait for the driver to install
about 2 minutes. Mac OS X and Linux do not require any special drivers, the default driver built into these platforms will be
sufficient.

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 3: Open up a Browser, go to Oracle Java, Download and Install Java Platform (JDK) 7u13 - Please reboot after the install:

Linux 32-bit JDK 7.13 Install Notes: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/linux/linux-jdk.html
Linux 64-bit JDK 7.13 Install Notes: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/linux/linux-jdk.html
Mac 64-bit JDK 7.13 Install Notes: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/mac/mac-jdk.html

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 4: Open up a Terminal, at the Terminal window ($ command prompt) type:

Code:
su -
Enter your Root Password if requested to do so. You should now see a # at the command prompt. Ubuntu Users would use:

Code:
sudo before each command (Ignore su-)
Root Kindle Fire HD Step 5: Next go back to the open command prompt at the /RootPackage32or64Folder/# enter:

Code:
chmod 777 RunMe.sh
sh RunMe.sh

OR

./RunMe.sh
Ubuntu Users would use:

Code:
sudo chmod 777 RunMe.sh
sudo sh ./RunMe.sh
Choose option 1, Run Normal Method and ignore errors. Pay attention, you will need to answer "Restore" a dialogue box on the Kindle. Click on Restore. When the program has completed, the Kindle will Reboot.

If you receive 'can not execute items in the stuff folder', please check to make sure you downloaded the correct package for your platform. The Linux 64-bit package will not work on a 32-bit computer. If you have verified your download and you are still seeing the 'can not execute items in the stuff folder' message, please post a screen shot in this thread.

Code:
exit
Root Kindle Fire HD Step 6: Finally go back to the Kindle, navigate to the /Apps tab, click on Device, next find and click on Superuser.apk initialize the Superuser daemon.

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 7: Finally, using a Web Browser Download suchecker.apk to the /RootPackage32or64Folder/#: suchecker.apk. After the download has completed, open a command prompt at the /RootPackage32or64Folder/# enter:

Code:
./stuff/adb kill-server
./stuff/adb start-server
./stuff/adb devices
./stuff/adb install [URL="https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/suchecker.apk"]suchecker.apk[/URL]
./stuff/adb reboot
Root Kindle Fire HD Step 8: When the install has finished, go to your Apps. Launch Root Checker Basic When you check Root you will be presented with a "Allow" dialog box, be sure to Allow Root Checker. You should now see that Superuser.apk is working. Here is a screen shot of Root Checker Pro:

2013.02.09-21.19.38.jpeg

You should now have root AND if this is true your ADB communication is also functional!

B) Finally, let's disable the Amazon OTA (Over The Air) Updates so your hard work is not destroyed.

OTA Step 1: [HOW TO] Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob (Simple) Version

OTA Step 2: Reboot the Kindle.

Note: You may still install the updates manually after you have read the install notes and know what to expect. The updates and manual install instructions can be found on Amazon Support here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201016350

Next, move onto our How to: Install Google Play Step-by-Step Thread.

If this was helpful and you would like to support our work, please send us a donation using this link:
http://xdaforums.com/dona....php?u=4435645

Attachments

• Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,044
  • suchecker.apk
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,851
Last edited:

los911

Dec 28, 2012
Thanks great tutorial, many have been waiting for this and I am sure this is easy to follow like your other NOOB tutorials.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD with Linux or MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

Thanks great tutorial, many have been waiting for this and I am sure this is easy to follow like your other NOOB tutorials.

Thank you for the feedback, we did receive a number of requests. We are truly honored

to be a part of the XDA Community and we have a passion around upgrading/tweaking

tablets.

rwil

Dec 23, 2012
Permission denied on /data/local.prop

Thanks for posting this. I'm stuck at this step:

shell@android:/ $ echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop
/system/bin/sh: cannot create /data/local.prop: Permission denied

I did the earlier step of removing /data/local/tmp and symlinking /data/.

The data directory is owned by the system user:

130|shell@android:/ $ ll
drwxr-xr-x root root 2012-12-31 22:59 acct
drwxrwx--- system cache 2012-12-22 01:17 cache
dr-x------ root root 2012-12-31 22:59 config
lrwxrwxrwx root root 2012-12-31 22:59 d -> /sys/kernel/debug
drwxrwx--x system system 2012-09-28 11:57 data

I tried chown and chmod, but apparently those commands aren't available in the android shell.

Any suggestions?

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux or MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

I tried chown and chmod, but apparently those commands aren't available in the android shell.

Any suggestions?

What version of Linux are you using? This is normally a permissions issue on the workstation.

Sometimes Ubuntu requires sudo before the adb statement. I am a bit concerned with the $ prompt

the prompt should be # but if you are on Ubuntu, sudo will solve your issue.

rwil

Dec 23, 2012
What version of Linux are you using? This is normally a permissions issue on the workstation.

Sometimes Ubuntu requires sudo before the adb statement. I am a bit concerned with the $ prompt

Kubuntu 12.10.

I've tried running the 'adb shell' command using sudo and after switching to root with su -. Either way I end up at the shell@android $ prompt.

I also tried adb kill-server and adb start-server with sudo and su, but no change.

It sounds like I should be seeing "shell@android #" ?

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Root and Google Play for Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD Software Version 7.2.3

I've tried running the 'adb shell' command using sudo and after switching to root with su -. Either way I end up at the shell@android $ prompt.

I also tried adb kill-server and adb start-server with sudo and su, but no change.

It sounds like I should be seeing "shell@android #" ?

No, you are OK. Is the Kindle a Kindle Fire 2 7" or a Kindle Fire HD 7"

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Follow Up - Feedback

Any suggestions?

rwil,

Did the new steps allow you to successfully Root the Kindle? We do offer free phone support

if you have not been able to achieve Root. Let me know what happened and how we can

improve this How to:

rwil

Dec 23, 2012
Yes, I was able to finally get it rooted. One thing I had to do was use the adb executable you posted instead of the one from Bin4ry. That one stalled at the intial stage saying it was waiting for the device.

Drewski35

Jan 2, 2013
binary file issue

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 4: Open up a Terminal, at the Terminal window ($ command prompt) type:

Code:
su -
Enter your Root Password if requested to do so. You should now see a # at the command prompt.

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 5: Download Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 6: Unzip Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip to Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 7: Copy the entire contents of Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed to /Android/android-sdk/platform-tools/ (Step 1 install path).

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 7.1: Next go back to the open command prompt, at the /Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v17/# enter:

Code:
chmod 777 RunMe.sh
sh RunMe.sh
Choose option 1, Run Normal Method and ignore errors. Pay attention, you will need to answer "Restore" a dialogue box on the Kindle. Click on Restore. When the program has completed, the Kindle will Reboot.

The forum notes can be found here: Root MANY ANDROID! Forum.

OK... I am having trouble running the above code "chmod 777 RunMe.sh" and "sh RunMe.sh". The terminal file begins, I select option 1, and nothing happens on my Kindle Fire HD 7. I do not get a "restore" option on the KFHD7. In the terminal window I get many errors stating "cannot execute binary file" the script runs to the end with several cannot execute binary file errors. Also, while in su (root#) in terminal, I ran ./adb devices and the device does show. I am obviously missing something....

Thanks for any assistance....

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
ADB Communication Issues

Code:
su -
Enter your Root Password if requested to do so. You should now see a # at the command prompt.

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 5: Download Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 6: Unzip Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip to Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 7: Copy the entire contents of Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed to /Android/android-sdk/platform-tools/ (Step 1 install path).

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 7.1: Next go back to the open command prompt, at the /Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v17/# enter:

Code:
chmod 777 RunMe.sh
sh RunMe.sh

The forum notes can be found here: Root MANY ANDROID! Forum.

OK... I am having trouble running the above code "chmod 777 RunMe.sh" and "sh RunMe.sh". The terminal file begins, I select option 1, and nothing happens on my Kindle Fire HD 7. I do not get a "restore" option on the KFHD7. In the terminal window I get many errors stating "cannot execute binary file" the script runs to the end with several cannot execute binary file errors. Also, while in su (root#) in terminal, I ran ./adb devices and the device does show. I am obviously missing something....

Thanks for any assistance....

Drewski35,

You did obtain the software from us, correct? We found a bug in the older version of the adb binary. The new

download includes updates that may solve your problem. Please go back and download Root MANY ANDROID!

The date and time on the new Binary is 01/02/2013 1:33 PM.

The problem with a Linux tutorial is there are many variables between platforms. An example is

to obtain Superuser on SuSe Linux, it is a simple su -, then you will be at the # (Root) command

prompt. In Ubuntu Linux you need to type sudo before every command that requires Superuser

Permissions. Having said this, these utilities need to run at Root or Superuser. Have you tried

sudo before every command? First update, then try again.

Update.

dannyben

May 9, 2011
This work on a Mac? & 7.2.3?
Ive been unsuccessful until now with either Mac or Win.
Thanks

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
ADB Communication Issues

This work on a Mac? & 7.2.3?
Ive been unsuccessful until now with either Mac or Win.
Thanks

dannyben,

Have you tried out tutorial? We just posted new ADB Drivers with the tutorial, the links

are below. Try our steps again with the new driver, if you continue to have trouble, send

us a PM, we will call you and give you free phone support. We are usually able to resolve

the problem in less than a 30 minute call. Yes, this will work on MAC. Just make

sure you download the latest Android SDK included in the tutorial.

josephcagle

Jan 5, 2013
I'm having this same exact error. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04. I downloaded the latest version of everything and followed the latest instructions. It's Jan 4, 2013 now. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong.

I am using the sudo command each time.

But I get to this and get stuck...

I noticed the other person who had this problem finally got it working. It's a failure for me.

Would like some help here.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Root and Google Play for Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD Software Version 7.2.3

I'm having this same exact error. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04. I downloaded the latest version of everything and followed the latest instructions. It's Jan 4, 2013 now. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong.

I am using the sudo command each time.

But I get to this and get stuck...

I noticed the other person who had this problem finally got it working. It's a failure for me.

Would like some help here.

josephcagle,

When you run Root MANY ANDROID! Does the Kindle ask to be Restored? Do you click on

restore and let the software reboot the Kindle? I am turning in for the night, I have been working

for over 16 hours now. Let's connect tomorrow AM, will you be around about 11am PST GMT -8?

If yes, let's connect then, if that time does not work, what time works?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is a simple Step-by-Step guide on How To: How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD or 2 with Linux or Mac - Noob (Simple) Version. The main group steps are outlined with A, B, C while the sub-group steps are outlined with 1, 2, 3.

Prerequisites:

1. Software: Linux (tested on Linux Ubuntu Quantal Quetzal 32-bit and 64-bit) or Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later (32-bit and 64-bit)
    2. Hardware: Free USB 2.0 or Greater Port
    3. Software: Linux GNU C Library (glibc) 2.7 or later is required, On Ubuntu Linux, version 8.04 or later is required,
    64-bit distributions must be capable of running 32-bit applications.
    4. Hardware: Kindle Fire HD 7" or Kindle Fire 2 7"

icon4.gif
    Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

It is important that you use our Software since we use the latest versions of Superuser.apk and the su binary.

A) First we will install the needed software, then move on to Rooting the Kindle through the ADB Service.

Unplug the Kindle from USB. Go to your Kindle, navigate to the pull down options bar, choose More > Security

Be sure to Enable ADB by clicking On

Next Go to your Kindle, navigate to the pull down options bar, choose More > Device

Be sure to Allow Installation of Applications by clicking On

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 1: Go to your Mac or Linux workstation, download and unzip Root MANY ANDROID! there are 3 different versions, we have taken steps to optimized for each specific platform, please select the correct one matching your platform. If you are having trouble determining which one to download post the question inside this thread. Pay close attention to the path where you unzipped the download.

Linux 32-bit Version 18.5.1: Linux32.zip
    Linux 64-bit Version 18.5.1: Linux64.zip
    Mac 64-bit Version 18.5.1: Apple64.zip

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 2: Plug the Kindle into the free USB 2.0 Port. Wait for the driver to install
    about 2 minutes. Mac OS X and Linux do not require any special drivers, the default driver built into these platforms will be
    sufficient.

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 3: Open up a Browser, go to Oracle Java, Download and Install Java Platform (JDK) 7u13 - Please reboot after the install:

Linux 32-bit JDK 7.13 Install Notes: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/linux/linux-jdk.html
    Linux 64-bit JDK 7.13 Install Notes: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/linux/linux-jdk.html
    Mac 64-bit JDK 7.13 Install Notes: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/mac/mac-jdk.html

Code:
    su -
    Enter your Root Password if requested to do so. You should now see a # at the command prompt. Ubuntu Users would use:

Code:
    sudo before each command (Ignore su-)
    Root Kindle Fire HD Step 5: Next go back to the open command prompt at the /RootPackage32or64Folder/# enter:

Code:
    chmod 777 RunMe.sh
    sh RunMe.sh

OR

./RunMe.sh
    Ubuntu Users would use:

Code:
    sudo chmod 777 RunMe.sh
    sudo sh ./RunMe.sh

If you receive 'can not execute items in the stuff folder', please check to make sure you downloaded the correct package for your platform. The Linux 64-bit package will not work on a 32-bit computer. If you have verified your download and you are still seeing the 'can not execute items in the stuff folder' message, please post a screen shot in this thread.

Code:
    exit
    Root Kindle Fire HD Step 6: Finally go back to the Kindle, navigate to the /Apps tab, click on Device, next find and click on Superuser.apk initialize the Superuser daemon.

Root Kindle Fire HD Step 7: Finally, using a Web Browser Download suchecker.apk to the /RootPackage32or64Folder/#: suchecker.apk. After the download has completed, open a command prompt at the /RootPackage32or64Folder/# enter:

Code:
    ./stuff/adb kill-server
    ./stuff/adb start-server
    ./stuff/adb devices
    ./stuff/adb install [URL="https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54456659/suchecker.apk"]suchecker.apk[/URL]
    ./stuff/adb reboot
    Root Kindle Fire HD Step 8: When the install has finished, go to your Apps. Launch Root Checker Basic When you check Root you will be presented with a "Allow" dialog box, be sure to Allow Root Checker. You should now see that Superuser.apk is working. Here is a screen shot of Root Checker Pro:

2013.02.09-21.19.38.jpeg

You should now have root AND if this is true your ADB communication is also functional!

B) Finally, let's disable the Amazon OTA (Over The Air) Updates so your hard work is not destroyed.

OTA Step 1: [HOW TO] Disable Amazon OTA (Over The Air) System Updates Noob (Simple) Version

OTA Step 2: Reboot the Kindle.

Note: You may still install the updates manually after you have read the install notes and know what to expect. The updates and manual install instructions can be found on Amazon Support here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201016350

Next, move onto our How to: Install Google Play Step-by-Step Thread.

If this was helpful and you would like to support our work, please send us a donation using this link:
    http://xdaforums.com/dona....php?u=4435645
    How To: Root the Kindle Fire 7" HD with Linux or MAC - Noob (Simple) Version

Thank you for the feedback, we did receive a number of requests. We are truly honored

to be a part of the XDA Community and we have a passion around upgrading/tweaking

tablets.
    Root and Google Play for Amazon Kindle Fire HD & 2 on a MAC

OK, I am clearly not doing this stage right, as when I try to run it says no such file exists.
    I am totally clueless when it comes to this, so how, exactly, do I copy the contents to Android/android-sdk/platform-tools/ ?
    Thanks for any help.

frackamazon,

You would drag and drop the Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v17 folder contents into

Android/android-sdk/platform-tools/ - the process is either copy and move or drag

and drop. The following is a tutorial:

Moving files and folders consists of deleting the item from its original location and placing it in a new location.

Drag and Drop

To move items using the Drag and Drop method, click the item you wish to move and drag it to its destination folder. The item will automatically be deleted from its original location. Dragging and dropping an item to an external drive or mounted disk will not delete the original item but rather will simply copy it. If you wish to move a file or folder to an external drive, hold down the Command key before you release the mouse button. The item will then be deleted from the original location.

Copy and Move Items Here

Note that while the Copy and Paste commands work with copying a file or folder, there is not the familiar Cut and Paste commands when moving files and folders that one finds in most Mac applications. The feature does exist – it is just hidden. To move a file or folder from one location to another, choose Edit > Copy from the menu or use the keystroke combinations: Command + C. Then, switch to the location to where you want to move the time. Click Edit on the menu and then hold down the Alt or Option key to display the hidden menu item Move Item Here. You can also press the Command + Option + V keystroke combination.
    Selecting Move Item Here (or pressing the Command + Option + V keystroke combination) will delete the item from its original location and move it to the new location. If you copied three items, the hidden menu item would read Move 3 Items Here.

To Move a File or a Folder using the Copy and Move Item Here Commands

1. Select the item you wish to copy.
    2. Select Edit > Copy from the menu.
    3. Open the folder into which you want to place a copy of the item.
    4. Press the Command + Option + V keystroke combination
      Or
      Select Edit on the menu, hold down the Alt or Option key on your keyboard and choose Move Item Here from the menu.
    Ok, I know we're supposed to look and look and look until we find the answer, being noobs and too stupid to be allowed to speak and all (thanks, lovely mean video they make you watch before you sign up...), but I'm tired of looking and I just don't get it. Sorry. Can somebody please help me?

Please keep in mind: I'm not a programmer, I don't know how to use Unix and enter command prompt, i'm just a lowly nursing student who can't afford to pay for all the apps I bought on Google Play again so I can use them through Amazon, and would like to be able to just use this as an android tablet with Google. I'm basically following this like a recipe, only there's too much in here that's not explained and is not obvious to those of us who aren't programmers, or to me, anyway.
    Trying to root my Kindle Fire HD 8.9: System Version 8.4.3, using a Macbook Pro with OS X Lion 10.7.5

My questions:
    1) is it even possible to root this version based on these instructions? These are for 7.3 something, and I can't seem to find a conclusive answer to this question.

2) If I did root this device successfully, would the 4G data option still work? Can't seem to find a clear answer to this either. (but this is not my priority right now, I don't really NEED the 4g, to be honest, just seems a shame to not have the option since the tech is there).

3) I'm stuck on stage 5, entering the command prompt to run the RunMe.sh file. (unless I misunderstood some of the previous steps, in which case I'm stuck there).

What I did so far:
    1) I downloaded the Apple64.zip file to my computer's desktop. (Didn't run any of the files inside the Apple64 folder after unzipping them, but later in step 5, it seems like I was supposed to somehow).
    2) Connected the Kindle. Nothing happened except what usually happend which is that the Android File Transfer window opens. What drivers was I supposed to wait to be installed???? I assumed the drivers to be installed were so I can browse my android folders from the computer via this program. Is this wrong?
    3) Downloaded and installed the JDK, the one available at this time was: Java SE 7u25
    4) Opened a terminal on my mac, got through the su - and password thing to get the # at the command prompt

Now comes this:
    "Root Kindle Fire HD Step 5: Next go back to the open command prompt at the /RootPackage32or64Folder/# enter:
    Code:

chmod 777 RunMe.sh
    sh RunMe.sh

OR

./RunMe.sh"

Here's what I don't understand about this part: What command prompt do I enter this in? Are you talking about the Apple64 folder on my desktop? Because all that happens when I try to double click on the RunMe.sh file is it opens in TextEdit. I tried to see if I can open it with anything else, and so far no luck. I can type until I'm blue on the face in TextEdit, and it will do nothing.
    I then tried to run it from the terminal window with the # prompt, but that won't work either, I don't know how to type in the path to the file, correctly, I guess. Don't speak linux. What am I missing? Please help me get this!

I've rooted android phones in the past with no major problems, but it's been several years since I've done that last time and I just don't remember how I did it to know what's different now.

Thanks! I would really appreciate any help you can offer.
    K.
    Okay,

Technically, there are no "drivers" that need to be installed on a Mac. When you plug the Kindle in, the Mac will (should) automatically detect that a storage device has been connected to the USB. The only portion of the 2nd generation Kindle's storage that is accessible by default, is part of the userdata partition which has been mounted as the "sdcard". On 2nd generation devices, like the one you have, you will probably only have access to the DCIM folder, which is used to store images, like those taken by the camera. Unix is able to do this by default without any additional "drivers" or packages installed. There's a little more to it than that (like the fact that Macs don't have MTP functionality by default), but that should do for now.

On the other hand, in order for the Mac to communicate with the device via the ADB (Android Debug Bridge), as would be the case when attempting to "root" the device, a certain file and folder needs to be in place and properly configured for it to work. The folder is named ".android", and it should be located in your Home directory. A dot ( . ) in front of a directory or file name in systems like Unix, Mac or Linux, indicates that file or folder is hidden from view. The file is named "adb_usb.ini" and should be located within the ".android" folder mentioned previously. Unless you have your Mac set to show hidden files and folders, this needs to be checked by using the Terminal (command prompt).

As for the Terminal...the Terminal is a teletype console emulator used to communicate with the system's shell. For the purposes of this explanation, it is basically the same as Windows' Command Prompt window (although much more powerful). Here you will enter the commands needed to perform your various tasks. Using the Terminal, you are able do anything you would normally be able to do using the mouse and the graphical user interface. You can create, copy, cut, paste and delete files and folders, change directories, edit file and folder permissions, and a great number of other things that cannot be done using the graphical user interface alone. When you click on, and drag a file to another directory or "Finder" window, the Graphical User Interface (GUI) has to communicate with the shell in order to accomplish what you want done. It's simply doing what you would be doing in the Terminal by entering commands, but by giving you a visual representation of what's happening.

In order to use Terminal effectively, you need to learn the basics of navigation and file & folder creation/manipulation. The following link is a good start for new users and it's pretty easy to understand:

http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/introduction-to-the-mac-os-x-command-line

Once you have that figured out, you can check that your computer is configured properly to communicate via the ADB using the following commands:

Code:
    cd ~
    ls -la
    cat ./.android/adb_usb.ini
    1)The first command makes sure you are in your home directory where the .android folder should be located
    2)The second command lists the contents of your home directory, including hidden folders, so you can make sure that the .android folder exists
    3)The last command makes sure the "adb_usb.ini" file exists and has the correct information (this should return 0x1949)

If the commands listed previously confirm that everything is in place and configured properly, you can continue with rooting your device using the script/tool you downloaded, which should do everything in a Terminal (command prompt) environment anyway. And yes, you can root your device with it's particular software version.

As for having 4G enabled, it should work without problem on the stock software, assuming you have a data plan. However, if you install a custom ROM, the 4G will not work for the time being. The developer of the 2nd generation Kindle Fires' custom kernel is still working to add this issue, I believe.
    Not Rooting :(

Bin4ry root is failing for me (kf hd 7 11.3.2.4) :(
    there is an idea which a might root

you may be able to use the first aide tool to install a backup of a rooted kindle fire and use that but there are none online (at least i haven't found one)

If anyone has a rooted kindle fire can they please log out of their fire and send me a full backup?

Or send me a link to one online

p.s. if you have one please share with all of us not just me