[Q] Empty CIFS-mounted directories

Search This thread

tdido

Feb 1, 2012
I'm currently running an OMNI build for everest, which is working delightfully well. The only thing I can't seem to achieve is to mount a CIFS directory. Actually, it can be mounted, but its contents are only visible to root.

While doing some research I found this thread. For what the description says, I assume this fix has been applied in CM, since I was able to mount CIFS (outside of /storage) before switching from CM to OMNI.

Would these patches be applicable for OMNI? If so, I would try to ask the everest ROM creator to apply them, or even try myself. But I'm afraid I may be lacking the knowledge to judge whether it'd just be a waste of time.

Thanks in advance for any tips on this matter.

slano

Feb 4, 2011
Any update on the topic? I've tried Omni on my Nexus 10 and it runs perfectly well but this is the last thing that stops me from using the ROM. After mounting the data from my CIFS or NFS share the data is only available from the app performing the mount. The patches in the link from the previous post seems to work around this issue, is there any chance it could be applied to OmniROM?

DualJoe

Oct 12, 2011
de
Try to mount your folders manually (or by GScript) with Superusers --mount-master switch to make the mounts available to all processes. Something like this.

The su binary now also has a "--mount-master" option that connects you to a su session in the main mount namespace. Mount commands in this session should affect all processes. This is still a bit experimental, and getting it working requires a reboot after upgrading the binaries from a pre-1.93 version. This feature has been asked for a lot by devs, and it escapes the need to hijack system services to affect system-wide mounts, which is becoming more complicated with every Android release. A new version of StickMount will be released in a few days as well, taking advantage of this feature, and thus avoiding a number of issues some are seeing.
https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/hLKytCwUm6k

Alternatively, there is still the possibility to hijack a system service (like SSH one) to point to a script instead that will bring up your mounts. I'm personally using this so i haven't checked the SU method yet.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: slano

slano

Feb 4, 2011
Try to mount your folders manually (or by GScript) with Superusers --mount-master switch to make the mounts available to all processes. Something like this.

Alternatively, there is still the possibility to hijack a system service (like SSH one) to point to a script instead that will bring up your mounts. I'm personally using this so i haven't checked the SU method yet.

Good Luck!

Thanks, --mount-master works like a charm!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The su binary now also has a "--mount-master" option that connects you to a su session in the main mount namespace. Mount commands in this session should affect all processes. This is still a bit experimental, and getting it working requires a reboot after upgrading the binaries from a pre-1.93 version. This feature has been asked for a lot by devs, and it escapes the need to hijack system services to affect system-wide mounts, which is becoming more complicated with every Android release. A new version of StickMount will be released in a few days as well, taking advantage of this feature, and thus avoiding a number of issues some are seeing.
    https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/hLKytCwUm6k

Good Luck!