[Q] Modified Note 3? Won't let me update :(

Search This thread

gooseprince7

Feb 3, 2011
Chicago
Hey, everyone! I tried googling this for hours and I still haven't found a solution, so here goes:
A couple days ago, I deleted an important image from my T-Mobile Note 3 and I was freaking out, searching high and low for a solution. I read on Yahoo! answers to download DiskDigger, but the device must be rooted in order to install it. So, I tried to root my device with KINGO Root, which totally failed and then my device just went into bootloop and I thought I messed up my device for good. Luckily, on a different thread someone suggested to use the Youtube video GalaxyNote2Root made to unbrick my Note 3. (Even though it was for Note 2, it was the same concept and I did find the stock firmware on samsung-updates for my Note 3.) It ended up working successfully and then I continued to try root my Note 3 using Odin and the video instructions on xda forum (which I should have just done in the first place) and that worked successfully, too.
Now, my problem is, is when I went to update my Note 3 under settings, it says "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available." I tried using Triangle Away (I don't know if I did it correctly) and also 1-click unrooting my device in SuperSU. I'm a huge noob at this rooting stuff, but what I gathered from all the research I did on Google, I apparently tripped "Knox". When I go into download mode it reads:
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official
Knox Kernel Lock: 0x0
Knox Warranty Void: 0x1
So, a couple questions I have are, how do I "unmodify" my Note 3 so I can get updates? Is there a way to reset my Warranty Void back to 0x0? Will this always happen if I want to root my Note 3? Thanks in advance!

mdiaz33685

Feb 20, 2009
Tampa, FL
you can not revert knox back to 0x0, no method so far for this....

so you can receive updates, just flash through ODIN, the firmware ... I believe all Samsung phones and tablets will tell you about being modified for updates, if you rooted the phone.

jdidtht

Sep 23, 2012
minneapolis
Hey, everyone! I tried googling this for hours and I still haven't found a solution, so here goes:
A couple days ago, I deleted an important image from my T-Mobile Note 3 and I was freaking out, searching high and low for a solution. I read on Yahoo! answers to download DiskDigger, but the device must be rooted in order to install it. So, I tried to root my device with KINGO Root, which totally failed and then my device just went into bootloop and I thought I messed up my device for good. Luckily, on a different thread someone suggested to use the Youtube video GalaxyNote2Root made to unbrick my Note 3. (Even though it was for Note 2, it was the same concept and I did find the stock firmware on samsung-updates for my Note 3.) It ended up working successfully and then I continued to try root my Note 3 using Odin and the video instructions on xda forum (which I should have just done in the first place) and that worked successfully, too.
Now, my problem is, is when I went to update my Note 3 under settings, it says "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available." I tried using Triangle Away (I don't know if I did it correctly) and also 1-click unrooting my device in SuperSU. I'm a huge noob at this rooting stuff, but what I gathered from all the research I did on Google, I apparently tripped "Knox". When I go into download mode it reads:
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official
Knox Kernel Lock: 0x0
Knox Warranty Void: 0x1
So, a couple questions I have are, how do I "unmodify" my Note 3 so I can get updates? Is there a way to reset my Warranty Void back to 0x0? Will this always happen if I want to root my Note 3? Thanks in advance!
well, you can just reodin a stock unrooted firmware, and then otas will work again, but Knox is basically always tripped.

atlzonly89

Dec 24, 2013
Atlanta GA
why even use odin when you have SAMSUNG KIES. put your phone in download mode first, load KIES on your computer, then go to tools>firmware upgrade and intialisation and then follow the step by step direction.

if this helped just press the thanks button!

gooseprince7

Feb 3, 2011
Chicago
you can not revert knox back to 0x0, no method so far for this....

so you can receive updates, just flash through ODIN, the firmware ... I believe all Samsung phones and tablets will tell you about being modified for updates, if you rooted the phone.

I tried unrooting the phone and it was still not letting me update because it was still "modified". I thought this was because I tripped Knox, but maybe I didn't unroot correctly??

jdidtht

Sep 23, 2012
minneapolis
Can you link me to an unrooted firmware? And when I flash my device with the unrooted firmware, do I uninstall root first or will this just take care of the whole thing?
when u flash the stock firmware in Odin it will overwrite root, so no worries. just follow the first part of this guide. obviously don't flash root, or custom recovery. just follow the first part of this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2765014
or, you could also go to a website called sammobile and download the latest ne6 firmware. The link I provided is also the latest ne6 firmware guide, and like I said just follow the guide up to the the root part and you will be good. it will over write root, and whatever else. good to go.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

I tried unrooting the phone and it was still not letting me update because it was still "modified". I thought this was because I tripped Knox, but maybe I didn't unroot correctly??
yea, you must of done something incorrect. now, you won't have any updates after following the ne6 guide, as you will be on the latest firmware. but if you continue to stay on it you will indeed be able to grab otas when they come. personally I would just root, stay rooted, and keep up to date with roms, and kernels, and all that crap.