Titanium Backup safestrap-flashable app restores

Search This thread
I've been a loyal Titanium Backup user for years... but only recently have I tried some of the more "advanced" features.

Among those advanced features is the option to create a flashable zip file from all of your backups, such that you can restore several apps in recovery (safestrap, in our case).

Unfortunately... this feature isn't working for me. When I choose to sign the update.zip file with ZipSigner, the process reaches 99% (and the update.zip file size around 3.2GB), and the final item being added is Titanium Backup. It will sit here indefinitely, until I touch the notification and open Titanium Backup. It will immediately finish, and the update.zip file will shrink to around 1.6kb. (I read the troubleshooting guide on Titanium Backup's website, and I do have the latest zipsigner installed).

If I do not sign the zip during creation... the operation will finish without intervention, and the file size will stay around 3.2GB. However, the file cannot be flashed in recovery.

If I try to sign the zip in the ZipSigner app... it will create the update-signed.zip file, but it remains only about 1.6kb in size.

Is this an issue with Titanium Backup (including the update.zip file created)... or a problem with ZipSigner?

DrawnToLife

Jun 2, 2013
Toronto
I've been a loyal Titanium Backup user for years... but only recently have I tried some of the more "advanced" features.

Among those advanced features is the option to create a flashable zip file from all of your backups, such that you can restore several apps in recovery (safestrap, in our case).

Unfortunately... this feature isn't working for me. When I choose to sign the update.zip file with ZipSigner, the process reaches 99% (and the update.zip file size around 3.2GB), and the final item being added is Titanium Backup. It will sit here indefinitely, until I touch the notification and open Titanium Backup. It will immediately finish, and the update.zip file will shrink to around 1.6kb. (I read the troubleshooting guide on Titanium Backup's website, and I do have the latest zipsigner installed).

If I do not sign the zip during creation... the operation will finish without intervention, and the file size will stay around 3.2GB. However, the file cannot be flashed in recovery.

If I try to sign the zip in the ZipSigner app... it will create the update-signed.zip file, but it remains only about 1.6kb in size.

Is this an issue with Titanium Backup (including the update.zip file created)... or a problem with ZipSigner?

I'm fairly certain that the update.zip file is only meant to allow you to reflash an unsigned version of Titanium Backup in recovery so that you don't have to sign into Google Play to restore your apps (which you do through your back ups after your rom is installed).

I'm fairly certain that the update.zip file is only meant to allow you to reflash an unsigned version of Titanium Backup in recovery so that you don't have to sign into Google Play to restore your apps (which you do through your back ups after your rom is installed).

Well, you're not wrong. I'm aware of this option, and I have used it successfully to create and sign a zip file that will install TiB in a recovery environment. However, I'm not talking about this option. I'm 100% sure we're talking about different things, since I'm creating files upwards of 3GB, and not just a titanium backup installer.

If you go into the batch actions menu, near the bottom after the various backup/restore/etc batch operations... there is a lone option under the "Recovery Mode" heading for "Create update.zip from app+data backups" Using this operation, you can select individual apps (including system apps) from among your backups (filters help a lot) to create an update.zip file that will supposedly sideload the selected apps into your ROM when flashed in recovery.

Please see the changelog for TiB v. 5.7.0. (link)

[PRO] Added the ability to create an “update.zip” containing apps+data, apps only or data only. Both user & system apps are supported, encrypted backups are supported, and the resulting file can optionally be signed with ZipSigner.

I want to be able to use this option, since I have to spend a few hours restoring everything every time I flash a new ROM or new version. The time it takes is due in part to other issues I have with Titanium Backup, including an issue where it will get stuck on certain items until I install them via the Play Store before it will restore the data and continue to the next item. When this happens on stuff that is no longer in the Play Store, I have to force-close TiB, open it again, restore the item that it got stuck on, and then start the batch operation again. It's a real PITA.

Any help?

DrawnToLife

Jun 2, 2013
Toronto
Well, you're not wrong. I'm aware of this option, and I have used it successfully to create and sign a zip file that will install TiB in a recovery environment. However, I'm not talking about this option. I'm 100% sure we're talking about different things, since I'm creating files upwards of 3GB, and not just a titanium backup installer.

If you go into the batch actions menu, near the bottom after the various backup/restore/etc batch operations... there is a lone option under the "Recovery Mode" heading for "Create update.zip from app+data backups" Using this operation, you can select individual apps (including system apps) from among your backups (filters help a lot) to create an update.zip file that will supposedly sideload the selected apps into your ROM when flashed in recovery.

Please see the changelog for TiB v. 5.7.0. (link)

I want to be able to use this option, since I have to spend a few hours restoring everything every time I flash a new ROM or new version. The time it takes is due in part to other issues I have with Titanium Backup, including an issue where it will get stuck on certain items until I install them via the Play Store before it will restore the data and continue to the next item. When this happens on stuff that is no longer in the Play Store, I have to force-close TiB, open it again, restore the item that it got stuck on, and then start the batch operation again. It's a real PITA.

Any help?

Interesting, I didn't even know that option existed. I'll try and see if I can get it working on my Nexus 7 (because flashing AOSP roms takes like 1/4th of the time), but I don't know when I'll be able to flash. Have you tried messaging the Tibu team directly?

Have you tried messaging the Tibu team directly?

I might as well write my question/issue on a piece of toilet paper, and flush it down the nearest toilet.

They never answer any of my messages, their knowledgebase just has a bunch of FAQs so most of the issues I come across have not been addressed (and can't be), and I'm not aware of a forum with user-submitted material (like xda) that is dedicated to TiB support, where I can ask questions and other users can answer them.