[TOOL][APK ROOT]SparkyRoot Apk root method

Search This thread

vadimo

Aug 28, 2011
London
im getting this tablet tomorrow and would like to root it, there are so many threads regarding this process, can someone summarize: dos and donts? also can the tablet be unrooted after?

Thank you

Restorer

Dec 14, 2007
im getting this tablet tomorrow and would like to root it, there are so many threads regarding this process, can someone summarize: dos and donts? also can the tablet be unrooted after?

Thank you

Unfortunately, the forum has become a bit confusing for newcomers. To summarise for you:

1. If your device comes to you still with ICS then the method described in the OP of this thread should get you rooted.

2. You will lose root again if you update to Jelly Bean. Protecting root with Voodoo Rootkeeper left many of us with only partial root after upgrade but we had success getting full root back using the method HERE.

3. If your tablet has already been upgraded to Jelly Bean then the only way to root at this time is to unlock the bootloader using the official Asus tool, flash a new Recovery and then install an already rooted custom ROM. The unlock process is irreversible.

vadimo

Aug 28, 2011
London
Unfortunately, the forum has become a bit confusing for newcomers. To summarise for you:

1. If your device comes to you still with ICS then the method described in the OP of this thread should get you rooted.

2. You will lose root again if you update to Jelly Bean. Protecting root with Voodoo Rootkeeper left many of us with only partial root after upgrade but we had success getting full root back using the method HERE.

3. If your tablet has already been upgraded to Jelly Bean then the only way to root at this time is to unlock the bootloader using the official Asus tool, flash a new Recovery and then install an already rooted custom ROM. The unlock process is irreversible.

Hi Restorer, thats a lot better. The tablet just arrived and on charge i cant turn it on yet. Regarding warranty, does method 1 and 3 void it? I heard that it does but if Asus have released toll to do that then surely its not?

Thanks, we have same phone :)

Restorer

Dec 14, 2007
Hi Restorer, thats a lot better. The tablet just arrived and on charge i cant turn it on yet. Regarding warranty, does method 1 and 3 void it? I heard that it does but if Asus have released toll to do that then surely its not?

Thanks, we have same phone :)

Strictly I suppose both methods void warranty though you should be able to get away easily enough with the root only method if you get rid of all traces of SU, busybox and Superuser apps and then do a factory reset for good measure.

Using the Unlock Tool is trickier since it makes you agree to a new EULA and also a secondary agreement. Both state that use of the tool voids the warranty so not much wiggle room there though I understand many people with hardware trouble did still manage to get repairs carried out FOC.

If you have to go the unlock route make sure to do all the relevant reading from the Roll-up Stickies since it seems the Prime is a lot easier to brick than your Desire HD :eek:.

My advice would be to wait a month or two if you can to see if someone comes up with a root method for Jelly Bean.

Last edited:
Reactions: vadimo

zedhed

Jun 10, 2009
Okay so no one has yet to come up with away to Root Jelly Bean yet. I have been searching to try to find out. I am unlocked but lost my root and somehow lost SD out the side of the prime to. Dont know what to do I guess I am going to sit and wait for exploit I don't want a custom rom at the moment.

vadimo

Aug 28, 2011
London
Strictly I suppose both methods void warranty though you should be able to get away easily enough with the root only method if you get rid of all traces of SU, busybox and Superuser apps and then do a factory reset for good measure.

Using the Unlock Tool is trickier since it makes you agree to a new EULA and also a secondary agreement. Both state that use of the tool voids the warranty so not much wiggle room there though I understand many people with hardware trouble did still manage to get repairs carried out FOC.

If you have to go the unlock route make sure to do all the relevant reading from the Roll-up Stickies since it seems the Prime is a lot easier to brick than your Desire HD :eek:.

My advice would be to wait a month or two if you can to see if someone comes up with a root method for Jelly Bean.

Thanks for your advise, i will wait im happy with JB for now

Cappurnikus

May 13, 2011

Thanks, I've been looking for this specific information but none of the stickies clearly stated that you would be rooted after installing a custom rom.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

4Freedom

Jul 9, 2013
help

This APK root method is currently based on the busybox exploit that rhcp0112345 found, so thanks to him. I currently do not have a donation link in the app for him, but I will add one if he sends me the link and anybody can jump over to his original post if they would like.

This is an interim step of this app as I have been trying to finish a more complicated root method, since this one is most likely to get patched shortly. Also, in future updates I will be adding an unroot method as well as possible rootkeeper type functionality and depending on feedback I may add a quick install for the unlock tool.

The steps are similar to the PC version except it only requires a button press to perform the step.
1. Install this app (SparkyRoot)
2. Click step 1, Exploit (will move the files around and replace the busybox file)
3. Click step 2, Open up the ASUS App Backup tool and backup an app (you can use this one, its small)
4. Return to this app and Click step 3 Install SuperUser (will install the SuperUser app)
5. Click step 4, Cleanup (will cleanup all of the temporary files and revert the busybox file)
6. Profit???

i will lose my data and my app?
the app is simailar at Framaroot?
will work on 4.1.2?
permanent or temporaly root?
unroot??

maximebr77

Jul 28, 2012
Hi everybody, does he know if someone is sparkyroot compatible with tf201 in Android 4.1.1
Thank you

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Restorer

Dec 14, 2007
Hi everybody, does he know if someone is sparkyroot compatible with tf201 in Android 4.1.1
Thank you

No it is not. This method was only for ICS.

For JellyBean, if you want only to root then you can use the motochopper method described here.

This will allow you to install apps and mods requiring root but not any custom ROMs. Find out what you can do with root only in this thread..

If you are new to flashing ROMs you should maybe start with this simple rooting.

But to go the full way and install a custom ROM you will need to unlock the bootloader using the Unlocker Tool from the Asus support site and install the custom recovery TWRP. There is a guide for that here..

You should then go through the process to enable NVFlash access on your prime and generate the backup files so you can unbrick the device if you make a bad mistake. The instructions for doing this are in this thread.

Finally, you can go ahead and pick a nice smooth fast ROM like HairyBean 2.31 :good: and follow the instructions in the relevant thread.

maximebr77

Jul 28, 2012
OK thank you

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

No it is not. This method was only for ICS.

For JellyBean, if you want only to root then you can use the motochopper method described here.

This will allow you to install apps and mods requiring root but not any custom ROMs. Find out what you can do with root only in this thread..

If you are new to flashing ROMs you should maybe start with this simple rooting.

But to go the full way and install a custom ROM you will need to unlock the bootloader using the Unlocker Tool from the Asus support site and install the custom recovery TWRP. There is a guide for that here..

You should then go through the process to enable NVFlash access on your prime and generate the backup files so you can unbrick the device if you make a bad mistake. The instructions for doing this are in this thread.

Finally, you can go ahead and pick a nice smooth fast ROM like HairyBean 2.31 :good: and follow the instructions in the relevant thread.

You do not have a tutorial for unlock bootloader ?

Restorer

Dec 14, 2007
OK thank you

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

You do not have a tutorial for unlock bootloader ?

No tutorial needed. Just download the tool, run it and accept all the warnings. Do be aware though there is no going back to locked after you have done this. And before you start you should read all of the threads I linked you to and ask questions there if there is something you don't understand. This is not a quick thing to do and you need to make sure you understand all of the instructions before you start and then follow them very carefully.

If you are unsure try the motochopper root method first.

maximebr77

Jul 28, 2012
I is not for jelly bean is only for ics

maximebr77

Jul 28, 2012
OK thank you very much

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

One last question
Unlock_device_appv6 it work on you 4.1

Restorer

Dec 14, 2007
OK thank you very much

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

One last question
Unlock_device_appv6 it work on you 4.1

Yes, that's the one.

maximebr77

Jul 28, 2012
OK
Thanks ,good evening

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

I understand to install a ROM must rooter, unlock bootloader, install recovery and then flash the rom

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This APK root method is currently based on the busybox exploit that rhcp0112345 found, so thanks to him. I currently do not have a donation link in the app for him, but I will add one if he sends me the link and anybody can jump over to his original post if they would like.

This is an interim step of this app as I have been trying to finish a more complicated root method, since this one is most likely to get patched shortly. Also, in future updates I will be adding an unroot method as well as possible rootkeeper type functionality and depending on feedback I may add a quick install for the unlock tool.

The steps are similar to the PC version except it only requires a button press to perform the step.
    1. Install this app (SparkyRoot)
    2. Click step 1, Exploit (will move the files around and replace the busybox file)
    3. Click step 2, Open up the ASUS App Backup tool and backup an app (you can use this one, its small)
    4. Return to this app and Click step 3 Install SuperUser (will install the SuperUser app)
    5. Click step 4, Cleanup (will cleanup all of the temporary files and revert the busybox file)
    6. Profit???

UPDATE: 3/3/2012 - v1.1 - enhancements
    Added a button for opening the backup app.
    Updated SuperUser app to the latest version (you would have gotten a market update anyway)
    Added indicators for if the su binary is there and if it has the proper read/execute permissions
    Added indicator for if the SuperUser app is installed

UPDATE: 3/5/2012 - v1.2 - minor update
    Added donation link for rhcp0112345
    He also requested that I put his link in this thread so here are those
    (TF101) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1515470
    (TF201) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1518429

UPDATE: 3/18/2012 - v1.3 – enhancement/fix
    Fixed issue where if you have never opened the app backup tool before the rooting would fail due to not accepting the terms of service
    Added an unroot option (the current method requires superuser installed so that it can grant this app permission to unroot)
    From comments below, it appears that there may be an issue with checking you root access in correlation to Root Checker and BusyBox. I have never installed either of these apps on my device and have never seen the issue. To help clear some of this up I have added a check into my app that will tell you if the files are all set up properly, with proper permissions.

Also, make sure the SuperUser app is running in the background so that it can give root access to apps that you specify (if it is not running, your device will appear to not be rooted).

If you are having any issues, and you are using these apps, I would recommend that you uninstall them prior to rooting and then reinstall them after you have finished running the app to root the device and then reboot the device.

FYI
    This root app has been confirmed working on certain versions of the ASUS Transformer (TF101), Transformer Prime (TF201), Transformer (TF300) Devices.
    This includes
    v9.4.2.15 for the TF201
    v9.2.1.11 for the TF101
    v9.4.3.17 for the TF300

This method (as it is currently implemented) no longer works with:
    v9.4.2.21 for the TF201
    v9.2.1.17 for the TF101
    v9.4.3.26 for the TF300

To root on one of these non-supported ROM versions, please use this new root tool I have created.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1706588
    I receive "Parse error" and it display "There is a problem parsing the package".

I already shut down my laptop, try downloading again and if you still have issues let me know and I will reupload it once I make it home.
    The problem is that every one who could have found an exploit is already unlocked.

I wouldn't say everyone, and one can still find exploits if one is unlocked since one still has access to the code and OS updates.

I am not unlocked, since I am still waiting to RMA mine for a screen defect and though that should not be affected by unlocking (since it is a hardware defect) I don't plan on taking that chance, and I am currently looking for a new exploit (I released the first root method for the TP201 on ICS). But, I am not finding too much time to work on it around spending time with my family.

Thank you