[Tool][Windows] Control a device with a broken screen. Now with touchscreen support!!

Search This thread

enklast

Aug 22, 2011
Can't get hooked up to my broken phone with VYSOR now. It requires hitting the OK on the USB debugging authorization on the phone. To get this or any other software that requires hitting that OK, you have to use one *before* breaking the screen so that the phone stores the authorization for the computer.

So for extra insurance, get VYSOR and use it *before* your phone gets broken. Use it on *all* your computers. If you do anything to revoke authorizations on your phone, connect again to all your computers. Same for if you have to reinstall the OS on a computer. Maintain that lifeline to get your stuff off the phone.

If you don't have the same computer, reinstall its OS, revoke USB debugging authorization on the phone then break the screen - you're SOL. Samsung Kies can pull everything from a Samsung phone *without USB debugging* so why can't some free, open source, 3rd party software? Unlike Kies, Samsung Smart Switch *will* move many apps and for many of them their data, from another Android phone to a Samsung Android phone. It can also port data like contacts, logs, text messages, etc from iPhone and others to a Samsung phone. But still useless if your screen is broken.

I've been playing around with VYSOR, and on the surface this seems like the most complete and easiest way to control your phone without any need of screen interaction.

But this is not an option, at least if you are on a Samsung Galaxy note 3 (n9005) and the screen is dead/black).

Background: having 3 dead note 3's and one alive I'm able to setup the broken phone's if I'd transfer the motherboard to the working digitizer. So, on three different roms, with vysor setup and it works like a charm. However soon as I return the motherboard back to the broken digitizer(screen). And boot the phone, vysor launches as it should and I can see the screen as I could before. But the viewing resolution is about 64x64 or so. The Rom seem like it cannot adapt to the crazy low resolution and this causing it to only mirror one of the screens top corner. I can, however interact with what is displayed(mirrored) for me. Though, this render the phone quite useless.

This is NOT a VYSOR-bug.
This is also happening when using teamviewer. Anyone knows how to trick the phone into believing that it has got a screen connected, with a normal resolution to follow?

This is NOT a ROM specific bug.
Tested three different roms in three different phone's.

This is NOT a faulty setup of vysor.
Mirroring is fine until it's mirrored from a dead display. (VYSOR and TEAMVIEWER)

Debugging > simulate external display.
won't do any good

Vysor settings > change resolution.
doesn't do anything when mirroring from a dead display

Someone else have had this error and got a work around?

cheers
e.

Hypexed

Sep 30, 2017
Melbourne
Unlike Kies, Samsung Smart Switch *will* move many apps and for many of them their data, from another Android phone to a Samsung Android phone. It can also port data like contacts, logs, text messages, etc from iPhone and others to a Samsung phone. But still useless if your screen is broken.

Actually it's not full useless. I broke a Samsung G360G screen and damaged display controller so no hope to get another screen working without SMD skills and parts I don't have. That's also a rare unsupported phone. Apart from CF-AutoRoot nothing else is ported to it. Anyway I logged into Play store from my laptop. From there I was able to install Switch remotely onto the phone. I installed Switch to Windows as well. I opened up Switch on the laptop. I connected my phone over USB. It was able to connect to it and get data off. Oh yes, USB debugging was certainly not enabled. This would have been a done deal, except certain app data like game progress wasn't extracted nor passwords and what ever else. But it is a good start. It can be of help. :)

LucasBS1

May 6, 2015
I drag the gesture window on top of the screen and choose the resolution, but when attempting a gesture, all it does is drag the picture behind

Also, how to use this tool via wireless, so I can put a mouse on the USB ?

Xperia Z3. Broken everything

Fukel

May 25, 2016
wow thanks for heads up on VYSOR, it works awesome. my galaxy s5 has no screen at all but thankfully had lineage installed with usb debugging enabled before it broke. VYSOR wouldnt work at first asking me to click enable usb debugging on screen which I obviously couldnt do. I opened that droidAtScreen program next thing it all started working and I could the give usb permission through VYSOR wtf

Reactions: jaliscojorge

jaliscojorge

Nov 18, 2008
Same thing with my Nexus 6P. Vysor was asking for the authorization. I opened this app and typed in my pin and the screen popped up on the vysor app. Guess it was just this app being opened in general.

jorkata785

Mar 26, 2014
Hello. I have samsung A5 ( sm-a500fu) with broken display , and i want to extract my music and documents. I try 2000 time , and i get in download mode , but now i cant enable usb debug. I install Minimal Adb and fastbook , but when i open and type adb shell i recieve error :
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: no devices/emulators found

Can you help me ? Thanks !

ethan_hines

Jun 19, 2012
Google Glass
Samsung Galaxy S21
Hello. I have samsung A5 ( sm-a500fu) with broken display , and i want to extract my music and documents. I try 2000 time , and i get in download mode , but now i cant enable usb debug. I install Minimal Adb and fastbook , but when i open and type adb shell i recieve error :
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

How "broken" is the screen if it is black you might have a problem but if it is just cracked use a OTG mouse to move the "cursor" on the screen
as per this link https://www.androidphonesoft.com/resources/enable-usb-debugging-android-broken-screen.html

jorkata785

Mar 26, 2014

Hypexed

Sep 30, 2017
Melbourne

As you can tell you will need to have USB debugging enabled and your machine authorised. Even in recovery mode or download mode a Samsung doesn't allow any ADB access. You have two main options I think.

1. Install a custom recovery such as TWRP which allows it. Your device is supported. Just need to make sure it does activate USB debugging. And has an image you can flash using Odin. Since you will need to use Odin to flash a recovery image with the phone in download mode.
https://xdaforums.com/samsung-a-series/general/to-port-twrp-to-galaxy-a5-a500fu-t3150843

2. Modify a rooting-kit to enable ADB. Slightly more technical. But it can work. This is only necessary if a custom recovery fails to work. It would follow what I have performed here:
https://xdaforums.com/android/help/...oot-kit-to-t3725596/post74968339#post74968339

Last edited:

jorkata785

Mar 26, 2014
I try with 1 method , but when i load the TWRP file in Odin , give me error :
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Binary Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> MD5 hash value is invalid
<OSM> TWRP_2.8.7.0_A500FU_ODIN.tar.md5 is invalid.
<OSM> End...

I try to flash other phone with odin , to sure odin is work , no problem . I havent linux , but if necessary i will install linux and try . if it possible another solution without install linux ? Thanks !

As you can tell you will need to have USB debugging enabled and your machine authorised. Even in recovery mode or download mode a Samsung doesn't allow any ADB access. You have two main options I think.

1. Install a custom recovery such as TWRP which allows it. Your device is supported. Just need to make sure it does activate USB debugging. And has an image you can flash using Odin. Since you will need to use Odin to flash a recovery image with the phone in download mode.
https://xdaforums.com/samsung-a-series/general/to-port-twrp-to-galaxy-a5-a500fu-t3150843

2. Modify a rooting-kit to enable ADB. Slightly more technical. But it can work. This is only necessary if a custom recovery fails to work. It would follow what I have performed here:
https://xdaforums.com/android/help/...oot-kit-to-t3725596/post74968339#post74968339

Hypexed

Sep 30, 2017
Melbourne
I try with 1 method , but when i load the TWRP file in Odin , give me error :

Did you use the PDA (or AP) slot? It should be fine there. The only other thing is the need to blindly put your phone in download mode. Just to isolate my instructions from the other post and use as a blind guide. Pull the battery from your phone. Give it a few seconds then put the battery back in and click the back cover on. Now hold down volume down, then home key, and finally hold down power. Wait for the vibration. Then release power after a few moments. Finally release the other keys. At this point press volume up briefly. You should have just put your phone blindly into download mode. I've done this numerous times.

If the image fails to upload in Odin there isn't much point going to other avenues yet as any image needs to be uploaded from Odin. So best make sure any images tried aren't corrupted. I've only had trouble with images I created myself. Or rather corrupted myself.

You could test this. Rooting it won't exactly help. Since it won't activate ADB. But it should pass the Odin check.
https://download.chainfire.eu/699/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-a5ulte-a5ultexx-sma500fu.zip

jorkata785

Mar 26, 2014
Did you use the PDA (or AP) slot? It should be fine there. The only other thing is the need to blindly put your phone in download mode. Just to isolate my instructions from the other post and use as a blind guide. Pull the battery from your phone. Give it a few seconds then put the battery back in and click the back cover on. Now hold down volume down, then home key, and finally hold down power. Wait for the vibration. Then release power after a few moments. Finally release the other keys. At this point press volume up briefly. You should have just put your phone blindly into download mode. I've done this numerous times.

If the image fails to upload in Odin there isn't much point going to other avenues yet as any image needs to be uploaded from Odin. So best make sure any images tried aren't corrupted. I've only had trouble with images I created myself. Or rather corrupted myself.

You could test this. Rooting it won't exactly help. Since it won't activate ADB. But it should pass the Odin check.
https://download.chainfire.eu/699/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-a5ulte-a5ultexx-sma500fu.zip

Yes i put the file in AP slot , and give me this error . Yes , i'm in download mode , but cannot remove battery , because this model first to get out the display , and then battery . But i'm sure to get in download mode , because i have a Pattern lock ,and with 1 program i remove patern , but still usb debug is off . This is problem , i want only to safe my documents .

Hypexed

Sep 30, 2017
Melbourne
Don't know what happened but my post was missing. So got it back. :-?

Yes i put the file in AP slot , and give me this error . Yes , i'm in download mode , but cannot remove battery , because this model first to get out the display , and then battery . But i'm sure to get in download mode , because i have a Pattern lock ,and with 1 program i remove patern , but still usb debug is off . This is problem , i want only to safe my documents .

Okay one of those. Yes I my J5 Prime has non-removable battery. Once when using browsing it just completely froze. Wouldn't power down. Didn't know of any other way to force power off. It had half charge so ended up leaving it for five hours until it ran down. Was kind of funny. Screen was on the whole time and it didn't even get hot. Funny how the power only lasts when you don't want it to. :)

With download mode there will be no pattern lock. At least to my knowledge. Since it enters it directly from boot up. And the phone needs to be off before you can get into it. By forcing it off or waiting until the battery dies down. Then it needs power again.

Unless the A5 is different I found my Samsung couldn't be shut down by holding down power. It just causes the screen to light up and goes down after a while. No prompt for power down. But I read there is a force power down by holding volume down and power at the same time for seven seconds.
http://www.samsung.com/au/support/skp/faq/1075042

If you didn't get the prompt when plugging into computer thanks to Google then this would be as easy as plugging it into a USB port and saving the files off. So your files are on the internal flash?

Depending on where your app data is stored, there may be another simpler way. Have you tried Samsung Switch? Try logging into your Google account from a computer in the web browser from the Play store. Install it to your phone from there. It needs to be on normally of course. It will then install. After this install it to on Windows. And do a recovery/backup. I've done this and it could get some data back.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.easyMover
http://www.samsung.com/smartswitch

(Skiddz)

Jun 8, 2015
Hopefully this is in the right area and someone can help me. My Galaxy S5 (Verizon, stock Android 6.x) fell out of my pocket and the screen broke and the digitizer seems to be down as well. All I have is a black screen and no way to control it. It still appears to be working as I'm getting incoming text messages, a couple calls and some haptic response if I plug in a mouse w/OTG cable and click.

Trying to get the Android Control and Droid@Screen working, but it appears as is USB debugging got turned off somehow. ADB reports the device is "unauthorized" and Droid@Screen shows "Rejected" as a status for the device. I found a thread here that appears to show the commands to turn on USB Debugging via ADB Shell but can't get anywhere with that.

I've tried deleting the adbkey and adbkey.pub files from /~user/.android with no effect. That nets me a message from ADB telling me my device is unauthorized and to check the confirmation dialogue. I've been blindly clicking away with the OTG/Mouse combo for hours trying to get lucky.

I also read I could install an ADB enabled recovery but I can't seem to get into download mode to do so. I also can't seem to get into Recovery mode, but this particular device has been a PITA to get into that mode since new. (Cable unplugged, Volume Up/Home/Power until I feel the "buzz", then release power for a few seconds, then release the other buttons)

All I would really like to do at this point is get the USB options off "Charge" and to "File Transfer" so I can pull the last few day's pics off
and retrieve some confidential files I hadn't moved to my PC yet. I tried to blindly enable that as well, but have been unsuccessful thus far.

Can anyone help, or point to me to somewhere I can find a solution? I've literally been on this forum for almost 12 hours looking for an answer. Surely I'm not the only person with a completely jacked screen and USB debugging off? :)

(Skiddz)

Jun 8, 2015
Quick update. It appears the phone *IS* going into recovery mode or at least appears to. If I do the button press sequence to enter that mode, I can wait 10 seconds or so, run the "cursor" up and down (Keeping track in my mind of what options are what) and then back to "Reboot device", the phone will restart if I press the power button briefly. Assuming it IS getting into recovery, any idea why ADB can't "see" it?

I've uninstalled the Samsung USB drivers, cleaned out the registry, deleted all the folders and reinstalled the drivers and still seem to be "stuck".

[EDIT] Just got my new phone. Got Droid@Screen working with a regular startup. Tried it in recovery and my PC can't "see" the phone. ADB tells me "error: device not found"

Executing adb shell getprop I see [ro.adb.secure]: [1] and [ro.debuggable]: [0] so I guess I'm SOL for ADB access via recovery. I guess I need to figure out a way to flash a new recovery.

Last edited:

Hypexed

Sep 30, 2017
Melbourne
Trying to get the Android Control and Droid@Screen working, but it appears as is USB debugging got turned off somehow. ADB reports the device is "unauthorized" and Droid@Screen shows "Rejected" as a status for the device. I found a thread here that appears to show the commands to turn on USB Debugging via ADB Shell but can't get anywhere with that.

If you are getting unauthorized that means you do actually have USB debugging enabled. You just need the adb key to be inside your phone. Did you enable USB debugging and authorize any computer? You are half way there.

Can anyone help, or point to me to somewhere I can find a solution? I've literally been on this forum for almost 12 hours looking for an answer. Surely I'm not the only person with a completely jacked screen and USB debugging off? :)

Apps can help here. Try logging into your Google account from another computer and use the Play site to install Samsung Switch on your phone. Then you just need a PC to run the desktop Switch on. If it works it should grab your media. If that fails it's time to get technical. :D

(Skiddz)

Jun 8, 2015
If you are getting unauthorized that means you do actually have USB debugging enabled. You just need the adb key to be inside your phone. Did you enable USB debugging and authorize any computer? You are half way there.

It's possible I do have USB debugging on, but I can't be certain. I was entertaining the thought of rooting that phone a couple months ago, but got busy with a few other things and "back-burnered" it. I know I had ODIN talking to that phone and during my "I think I'm going to root this thing" moment(s) I'm pretty sure I had some other tools talking to it, but I don't recall if I went back in the turned debugging off.

If I could get an ADB shell up, I can turn on USB debugging *and* copy my key to the phone, but I've got no ADB ability in recovery mode.

My new phone connected right up to Android Control/Droid@Screen once I enabled USB debugging with no input required on the phone. I have a new laptop that I know doesn't have any Samsung drivers on it. I may load those up and try from there. Might get lucky with a new key getting exchanged between the notebook and the phone.

Apps can help here. Try logging into your Google account from another computer and use the Play site to install Samsung Switch on your phone. Then you just need a PC to run the desktop Switch on. If it works it should grab your media. If that fails it's time to get technical. :D

Smart Switch is already installed, but I can't access the confirmation dialogue(s). If I can get the thing talking to the PC, I'm golden. I can pull my data and then do a factory reset.

I can the phone recognized by ODIN and wouldn't mind attempting to flash something if it'll help. At this point, I'm considering this pretty much a lost cause so if something gets jacked, I don't care.

Installing tools on my notebook. Fingers crossed.

[edit]

Nope. Still getting rejected with Android Control and ADB says "unauthorized". Wondering if it's possible to retrieve an old adbkey.pub file from a restore point... Definitely adding the .android folder to my nightly backups from now on...

Last edited:

(Skiddz)

Jun 8, 2015
Was able to recover an ADB key file pair from Saturday afternoon's initial attempt to get in to the phone. Still no joy. However! I *was* able to drive through the settings menus with a keyboard. USB debugging IS on and I was able to revoke USB debugging Authorizations (Thinking it'd make new keys or at least give me a dialogue to try and click with the mouse/keyboard to get it working. ADB is still telling me the device is unauthorized so it's likely a key issue.

Am I on the right track with revoking authorizations? Any way to make the phone think I've never "touched" it with ADB? Again, the new phone connected right up with no input required from me.

[edit]

Feeling this conversation doesn't belong here any longer, so I'll be continuing my efforts and providing info/requesting assistance here: https://xdaforums.com/verizon-galax...-mhl-mouse-t3747753/post75531185#post75531185

Thx!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would like to present you my little program written in Visual Basic.
    This tool lets you use your device through your Windows pc even if your touchscreen doesn't work or you can't see anything.
    It uses droid@Screen, which wasn't made by me.

UPDATE!!! Full touchscreen support!
    You need to have usb debugging enabled.
    Enable usb debugging via recovery:
    Code:
    Adb shell
    echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >>/system/build.prop
    echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >>/system/build.prop
    echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mass_storage,adb" >>/system/build.prop"
    reboot

for people who dont have adb enabled, i suggest you contact a kernel developer to automatically enable it in the default.prop and sideload the kernel in recovery!
    i broke my S3 on stock so nothing was enabled.
    i enabled adb via the default.prop and compiled the kernel and flashed in recovery(sideload).
    now i have full control over the device.

HmKqklH.png

gakavu1.png

Links:
    Source code: http://goo.gl/fgLHWx use the github link
    GitHub: https://github.com/kjanku1/WindowsApplication1
    The tool itself: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5...=sharing&resourcekey=0--HHg4Q8nZqze3N1TYZ1irA
    Mirror 1: http://www.4shared.com/file/-QVlYf0tba/Android_Control.html - old version
    Mirror 2: http://d-h.st/iJO

PREMIUM (donation) version with vnc support (TightVNC and VNC server)

http://goo.gl/XWYpEy

Linux port by ternes3

Source Code:
    reBT-SOFT: https://git.rebtsoft.de/open-source/touchcontrol-for-android/tree/master
    GitHub: https://github.com/ternes3/TouchControl-for-Android

Binary:
    MEGA: https://mega.co.nz/#!0051URJA!O7RF_JNQcZ0-s13lEEJtCd3_Tv4pAznX9duy97Ru6aQ

WINDOWS XP version!!! thanks to Senior Member smogf
    https://mega.co.nz/#!xJJQjTLR!S29tJrWxrtmxc2DNTm1cZrGkV-jdtxAqCBJco9dhQSg

Youtube video

**to do:
    Swipe to unlock for more screen resolutions (currently only 764x1280) Done, Please update
    Pattern unlock Done
    Caps Lock
    More swipe gestures
    Full touchscreen support Done

No installation needed.

FAQ

Enable USB debugging
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=66731042&postcount=260 thanks to @Msmtx

Secure ADB ("unclickable" pop-up)workaround
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=66731042&postcount=260 thanks to @Msmtx

File missing errors
    Just close it and open it again.

Swipe option not working?
    Download the latest version or post the resolution of your phone.

Other issues
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=65891140&postcount=255 thanks to @Scooby00

If you have any problem, ask me anything.
    This is a quote from @Msmtx who has accomplished, what seemed impossible for some, however he's not allowed to post here yet, I'm posting it so more people can profit from this.

Msmtx said:
    To activate USB debugging AND workaround Secure ADB on Android versions 4.2+:
    1. Boot to recovery through hardware buttons
    2. Run adb shell
    3. Mount system and data partitions (in my case, on TWRP: twrp mount system && twrp mount data)
    4. Input into adb shell:
      Code:
      echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> default.prop 
      echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> default.prop
      echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> default.prop
      echo "persist.service.adb.enable=1" >> /system/build.prop 
      echo "persist.service.debuggable=1" >> /system/build.prop
      echo "persist.sys.usb.config=mtp,adb" >> /system/build.prop
    5. On Windows, go to "%USERPROFILE%/.android", open adbkey.pub with Notepad or your text editor of preference and copy all of the file's content (CTRL+A and CTRL+C from Notepad and standard editors)
    6. Back to adb shell:
      Code:
      echo "<paste key here>" >> /data/misc/adb/adb_keys
      reboot
      -- on standard CMD you can paste by right-clicking the title bar> Edit> Paste, or just right-clicking if you have "Quick Edit mode" enabled in CMD's properties.
    for people who dont have adb enabled, i suggest you contact a kernel developer to automatically enable it in the default.prop and sideload the kernel in recovery!
    i broke my S3 on stock so nothing was enabled.
    i enabled adb via the default.prop and compiled the kernel and flashed in recovery(sideload).
    now i have full control over the device.
    thanks for the tool mate! i hope to see it cross compiled for linux soon aswell :)
    Good ! I'm try it.
    Hi all,

Thanks for this thread this helped me a lot.
    Device is a samsung S4 t-mobile variant.

The only trick is that on recovery, i'm using latest twrp, i needed to mount system in order to see the build.prop file.

notice. Device screen is totally broken, doesnt turn on. i was able to accomplish this without it.

HTML:
    adb shell
    mount system

after this then i proceeded with whats on the OP.

Thanks again.

Update: it works but i get the Unauthorized device on adb shell, not i need to find out how to enable this since i can use the touch screen.
    Update2: I was able to get an rsa key from another samsung s4 that was connected to the same computer, "adb_keys" is located in /data/misc/adb/
    1. you must be rooted to take the adb_keys file from the phone that works. With es explorer "enabled root explorer" and i was able to see this file.
    2. once you get a copy of adb_keys, reboot the phone with broken screen into recovery, adb recovery should work. im using twrp.
    3.adb push <location of file>rsa_keys /data/misc/adb/
    4. adb reboot and once the phone bots up voila! adb shell should be able to see the phone now.

i hope this helps someone like it did to me.