And Fairphone?

Search This thread

MicroDroidXDA

Dec 4, 2012
microdroid.wordpress.com
I already ordered a FairPhone. But I'm not so interested in Firefox OS, rather in porting the FairPhone OS (which will be based on Android but with some modifications) to other devices and porting some Custom ROMs (I'm thinking of RootBox and SuperNexus cause they're my favorites) to FairPhone. And I'll make lots of videos about it on YouTube (Unboxing, tests, comparisons with other phones and so on...)

Reactions: yataro79 and timeit

TheKamakaZi

Aug 5, 2008
Props to Fairphone

I just read about the Fairphone for the first time, and I'm absolutely gutted. I was hoping that HTC would've heard our pleas and given us The Next HD2 (in my mind called the HDX in homage to XDA's fierce reverence of the HD2).

Props to Fairphone for giving us what we've been salivating about for years, but the name could definitely have used some more thought...

Reactions: DozerD

padlockedtight

Apr 28, 2013
Bristol
Firefox Browser not so good on phone :(
Its a shame because it's always my first choice when doing a clean install on pc.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Thanks for the interesting link on fair phone though :) It's a great philosophy.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

DozerD

Mar 2, 2013
Fairphone = adding necessary value(s)

What about the FairPhone project? Anyone interested?

I find the FairPhone initiative higly symathetic. Glad about this thread too.

People in this community should be considering what goes into our phones and how. The meaning of added value gets forgotten easily, with price substituting value too fast. Global market and supply tend to overwhelm and numb individual consumers. FairPhone is an intelligent way to start balancing that a bit.

It seems the project can use all extra hands and support. For instance, their site could perhaps present important facts and additional selling points better. For me, the adapted UI by Kwame is attractive, as is the basic possibility to install other roms of choice.

Unfortunately, not having contributed 10 useful posts yet, I may not offer 'outside' links here. I can only suggest you check out the Fairphone website yourself, especially the blog page, and follow some of the links provided there.

>> Among other things, you'll find a link to the recent presentation the developers of Kwame gave on their UI proposals on Android 4.2.2. Looking good and smart!

>> To find an interview (in English) with initiator Bas van Abel visit the site of blip.tv/openSUSEtv. Search and you will find :)

BTW - I'll try and see if I can upload some pdf docs I made of what I found, managing to keep the documents (many slides and pictures) small in size... If it works out, I'll post the docs here.

Let's hope the spark comes across :good:

_Variable

Jun 10, 2012
Manila
This project is really cool, since most giant companies as of late dont release sources (Samsung with Exynos, Apple with...everything, etc...)

I have full support for this, although I cant afford it :( I hope the open source revolution continues :D

Reactions: MicroDroidXDA

MicroDroidXDA

Dec 4, 2012
microdroid.wordpress.com
I have ordered one too... But I definitely want to leave Android (after about 4,5 years, since the T-Mobile G1), and I see in FirefoxOS a great potential. So I love to see this really open operating system (sup)ported on the Fairphone

CLICK HERE!

Well the first FairPhone will run Android, that's for sure. I also think that FirefoxOS has a great potential, but I think Android's potential is still growing every day as more and more people become hobby Android developers, and it will take a few years until FirefoxOS will get more popular. So for now I'ma stick with Android.... also because I just love it. Every version is getting better than the one before.

Well the first FairPhone will run Android, that's for sure. I also think that FirefoxOS has a great potential, but I think Android's potential is still growing every day as more and more people become hobby Android developers, and it will take a few years until FirefoxOS will get more popular. So for now I'ma stick with Android.... also because I just love it. Every version is getting better than the one before.

I think that Android will become every day more invasive and closed... I admire open developer communities that create a lot of alternative roms, but I think that at this point we need a really open alternative to the giant; and I see in Firefox OS the best in terms of potential to open the mobile world. The system is very unripe (I am testing it on a Geeksphone Keon), but I can see a huge potential in it, and every update it improve a bit. I will follow his evolution with interest, and I hope that in future there will be the chance to put this system on the Fairphone hardware.
Perhaps it will be possible to install Android OR Firefox OS...

nattoleon

Apr 23, 2013
If you use Firefox brower in your PC, you will find you never have enough ram to run it, so I thing Firefox is will needs more powerful hardware than Htc one to run it:eek:

If you use Firefox brower in your PC, you will find you never have enough ram to run it, so I thing Firefox is will needs more powerful hardware than Htc one to run it:eek:

Keon works better than a lot of mid range Android that I have tried (remember that it's a developer preview unit)... and the specific of this phone are most like low range phone than mid range.
And, I use Firefox on every PC I use and rarely I experience lack of memory, even if I navigate with a lot of tabs opened!

DozerD

Mar 2, 2013
Keon works better than a lot of mid range Android that I have tried (remember that it's a developer preview unit)... and the specific of this phone are most like low range phone than mid range.
And, I use Firefox on every PC I use and rarely I experience lack of memory, even if I navigate with a lot of tabs opened!

What can cause RAM shortages while using Firefox are mainly too many extensions added. I suppose any Firefox installation can cause - or rather allow for - memory problems, either on PC or phone, if users do not limit themselves in dressing their browser up with all that may seem fancy.

The extra freedom a browser like Firefox offers us users, comes with the inevitable burden of common sense restraint :) If that is understood, there's no reason in my opinion why Firefox could not aptly fulfill our needs...

- Tapatalked from Platform I9000, JB 4.2.2, on Mackay Rom & kernel, baseband I9000XXJVT, powered by PolarCell at 1800 mAh

Last edited:

DozerD

Mar 2, 2013
Specs keep improving :)

BTW - I'll try and see if I can upload some pdf docs I made of what I found, managing to keep the documents (many slides and pictures) small in size... If it works out, I'll post the docs here.

Let's hope the spark comes across :good:

Alas, slimming pdf files based on presentations full of sheets down to the maximum allowed upload size has failed. The same goes even for the pdf of today's updated, ever improving spec sheet. But an old-fashioned copy-paste abstract might do just as well.

Here are the specs as per today, 28-05-2013, including the Change Log of improvements (italic and bold accents are mine):

Details

SIM Card - Dual SIM, Dual Active (!!)
Memory Card Type - microSD
Keypad Backlight No
Data Port Micro B
USB Version USB2.0
Charge Port MicroUSB Port, Type B
Earphone Jack ¢3.5
HDMI No
GPS Yes
WIFI Yes (more details to come)
BT Yes (more details to come)
FM Yes (!!)
Light Sensor Yes
G-Sensor Yes
E-Compass Yes (!!)
Proximity Sensor Yes
Gyroscope Yes (!!)
Antenna Type IFA
Mic SMD Switch
Speaker 1420*1
Receiver 1208
Motor 1020
Camera Pixel 8 megapixels +1.3 megapixels
Flashlight Yes!
Embedded System Memory 16GB ROM +1G RAM
Memory Card Type microSD
Memory Card Support Capacity 32Gb
Model GSM/WCDMA
Frequency GSM850/900/1800/1900MHZ, WCDMA 900/2100MHz
GPRS Class GPRS Class 12
EDGE Class Multi-Slot Class 12
UMTS Rate HSPA uplink cat7 up to 11.5Mbps (!!!!!) & downlink cat24 up to 42.2Mbps (!!!!!)
Video Decode Format MPEG4/H.264:1080p@30fps (!!)
Video Encode Format MPEG4/H.263:1080P@30fps
H.264:720P@30fps
Audio Decode Format WAV,MP3,MP2,AAC,AMR-NB,AMR-WB,MIDI,Vorbis,APE,AAC-plus v1,Aac-plus v2,FLAC,WMA (!!!!!)
Audio Encode Format AMR-NB,AMR-WB,AAC,OGG
Photo Format JPEG
Streaming Media Yes
Primary Screen Size 4.3"
Primary Screen Type TFT
Primary Screen Resolution qHD (960x540 pixels)
Primary Screen Color 16M
Primary Backlight Quantity 8
Touchpanel Type Capacitive
Primary Camera Pixel 8 megapixels
Primary Camera Sensor Type CMOS
Primary Camera Sensor to be determined
Primary Camera Focus AF
Primary Camera Data Zoom Level 8
Secondary Camera Pixel 1.3 megapixels
Secondary Camera Sensor Type CMOS
Secondary Camera Sensor to be determined
Secondary Camera Focus FF
Multi-Shot Yes
Camera Scene Normal/Night
Photo Effect Normal/Monochrome/Negative
Video Recording Yes

Logbook of changes:

15 May: Good news! We added e-compass and gyroscope!

24/May: Sim capability has changed to Dual Stand-by. That basically means that you cannot have two calls active at the same time in both of the SIM cards. Though when in stand-by you can get a call on any of the 2 numbers and manage easily your data on one or the other SIM. It is one click to change from one to the other, while you are available on both. Internet works on one of the two (the one you choose), while you can receive calls on both simcards any time.

27/May:

Good news! Our UMTS rate is now better, so faster internet!! It was: "HSPA DL/UL, 7.2 Mbps/5.76Mbps" and it changed to Uplink: cat.7 up to 11.5Mbps & Downlink cat. 24 up to 42.2Mbps

Good news! Our Video Decode Format is better with 1080p! (MPEG4/H.264:1080p@30fps). That means you can record full HD. Better when you enjoy your videos on your TV for example.

Good news! Our audio encode/decode supports more formats!

===

Furthermore: sales keep rising. With 16 days to the go until the deadline, the set target of 5000 sold FairPhones has been reached by 59% (or 2975 phones). It would seem that the buzz still very much goes on :victory:

To be continued, I think :highfive:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What about the FairPhone project? Anyone interested? I like to see Firefox OS on this device in future, does anyone have my same idea?

Link: Fairphone - Technical Details And Links
    Great goal for Fairphone.. I hope now to semptember/october they can achieve the next goal of 20.000 unit sell. I am waiting for my Fairphone (nr. #1203) now.

Hi Deedend, I know about that project and I am very happy about the try to get a "fair phone". It's a first step which all manufacturer should follow. The device is not high end, but as I believe after seeing the ability of the built in SoC (not all facts are out there) in some benchmarks, I think it can beat our beloved Galaxy Nexus.

However, this projects aims another goal than winning speed tests. I like it, my brother ordered one as well. Maybe we should ask for a separate forum when it is sent to its customers.

In the end i've made my choice and ordered a fairphone :)
    mine is number 7359 and I've placed my order yesterday.. now the counter is at 8241
    but the best thing is that it was 8235 a sew secs ago!!

are we going to hit 10k before tomorrow night?
    not really shure about it, but ehi it's already near the double needed to start this :cool:

Currently, we are at 9440 ordered Fairphones. I hope this project, located in Netherland, home of some wonderful people like @Chainfire, will be a success and can go on with further products teaching the big ones like Asus, HTC, LG, Samsung, Sony... and others.
    All I'm seeing is a run-of-the-mill qHD phone which would cost $100 in Aliexpress, but it's being sold for 4 times that because it has a couple of "conflict-free"minerals (take our word for it!) while the rest of the phone contains the same internals done in the same labor conditions as any other phone.

Fair trade has mostly been an excuse to charge terrific markups abusing the good faith of people, and this thing is no different at all.

I'll assume you're not just trolling here. However, your cynicism gives offense. Perhaps because it is the cheapest thing around.

Fairphone are going to great lengths to inform the public in detail, including you. You seem to have overlooked most of that information.

Regarding your estimate of what "a couple of conflict-free minerals" should cost, it seems you're taking for granted all costs paid conveniently out of sight and by others than yourself.

I wish you a conflict-free day and happy phoning, at any price you can afford.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
    Hi there,

Let me introduce myself. I am Kim Hansen, CTO of Kwamecorp. We are building the FairPhone OS and helping FairPhone as much as we can to create a more fair phone.

I was overwhelmed to read all the positive comments about the FairPhone project and the fact that XDA-developers have been following it, ordered FairPhones and discussing forth and back about the concept.

I think the chipset argument is very good, since the MediaTek is not very open. However, this version of the FairPhone is the first step in the FairPhone story that we believe will go far. The choice was made to be able to get a product out that was more fair than what you can find on the market currently in a very short time.

I know the main guys behind the project (Miquel Ballester and Bas van Abel) and they are as far as I know doing everything they can to build a fairer phone.

We are very interested in hearing how we can make the FairPhone more fair for the next version.

Currently we have entered our Quality Assurance period and are planning to provide the release candidate code in one month.
    I already ordered a FairPhone. But I'm not so interested in Firefox OS, rather in porting the FairPhone OS (which will be based on Android but with some modifications) to other devices and porting some Custom ROMs (I'm thinking of RootBox and SuperNexus cause they're my favorites) to FairPhone. And I'll make lots of videos about it on YouTube (Unboxing, tests, comparisons with other phones and so on...)