Method: Downgrade from Gingerbread (XXJVK) to Froyo (XXJPY)

Search This thread

cookm75

Dec 26, 2010
Brighton
Like many I installed the leaked version of Gingerbread on my Galaxy S when it first came out, but now Samsung have finally released Gingerbread in the UK, I would like to install the official release. But need to reinstall the official version of Froyo in order to do this via Kies.

I have had to spend quite a large amount of time looking for the process of doing this, as there seems to be conflicting information/methods out there. Also I understand Gingerbread has a new boot loader (the installed the version including the secondary boot loader) which also needs taking back to original, and I have also found that most of the guides out there always seem to leave a few questions unanswered :confused:

So after finding what appears to be the best and I believe the safest method, I thought I would post it on here for others.

Before I go into the steps on how i did this, I need to make a few points:

1) Any firmware installation carries risks. This is not approved by Samsung, and you do it entirely at your own risk....i’m no expert, I simply found a method that works for me. So if it all goes wrong, don’t come crying to me (however, after trying a different method previously, my phone would not boot, but I was able to re-flash with the leaked Gingerbread successfully).

2) Do not try this procedure if you are unable to get your Galaxy S into Recovery mode (Vol Up + Home + Power) and Download mode (Vol Down + Home + Power). A number of these phones have this issue, mine was one of them, there are guides online to fix this issue.

3) There seems to be a number of people who have issues with upgrades on Kies even when they haven’t messed with the firmware, so even if you cannot upgrade thru Kies, it doesn’t mean there has been a problem with Flashing the phone.

4) Backup your phone before flashing, as the phone will be wiped.

5) As far as I understand, this is only for the I9000 model and not for any of the other variants of this phone out there.

6) NEVER try to flash the phone without putting it into Download mode first, you will brick your phone.

------------------------------------------

First of all you will need a Windows PC, USB Cable, 2 Downloads (below)....oh and ideally a Samsung Galaxy S ;)

Download 1 (JPU)
http://hotfile.com/dl/99955459/dea6962/I9000XXJPU.rar.html
Password: samfirmware.com

Contents when extracted:
GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJPU.tar.md5
I9000XXJPU-REV03-PDA-low-CL747761.tar.md5
MODEM_I9000XXJPU.tar.md5
s1_odin_20100512.pit
Odin3v1.3

Download 2 (JPY)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EWTHLRU6
No Password

Contents when extracted:
JPY_JPY_JPY.tar

The idea is to flash with XXJPU first to get the base version of Froyo which includes the SBL, then to Flash with JPY, this will allow you to use Kies for firmware updates (ensure Kies is completely closed before starting this).

1. Download and extract the above files.

2. Power off phone, remove sim and memory card, then start up in Download Mode and plug USB cable into phone (not PC).

3. Open Odin and select the following Files:

PIT: s1_odin_20100512.pit
PDA: I9000XXJPU-REV03-PDA-low-CL747761.tar.md5
PHONE: MODEM_I9000XXJPU.tar.md5
CSC: GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJPU.tar.md5

Ensure the following options are ticked: Re-Partition, Auto Reboot & F.Reset Time

4. Plug the USB into the PC, after a few seconds it should displayan “Added” message in Odin, then click on the ‘Start’ button.

The JPU firmware will then be installed onto the phone, it will take a few minutes and the phone will reboot.

***Under no circumstances unplug the usb cable, press any buttons on the phone or generally do anything that could interrupt the process, until it has complete and the phone is full restarted***

Once this is complete, you are ready to flash the phone with the JPY version, very similar process, but please read as not all of Odin settings are the same.

5. With USB unplugged from PC, power off the phone and restart in Download mode.

6. Re-open Odin and select the following files:

PDA: JPY_JPY_JPY.tar

Ensure the following options are Ticked: Auto Reboot & F.Reset Time (NEVER tick ‘Re-Partition’ when using a single firmware file for flashing as this could Brick your phone)

7. Plug the USB into the PC, after a few seconds it should displayan “Added” message in Odin, then click on the ‘Start’ button.

The Firmware will then be installed onto the phone, it will take a few minutes and the phone will reboot.

And thats it, you should now be able to upgrade the firmware via Kies....that’s assuming Kies is working correctly, and your carrier has released it, i’m with T-Mobile UK, but bought my phone through the Carphone warehouse, and was able to update immediately.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this has been helpful, if you have any queries, I will try to answer, but as I said I am no expert, i've simply spent alot of time looking for the best method :)

Last edited:

Sparksltd

Mar 11, 2007
Just thought I should point out that xxjpy is a european version and is not carrier specific. So it shouldn't matter if your carrier has released gingerbread yet.

This method will allow kies to update your phone to the lastest european firmware.

mossy1963

Nov 28, 2010
Cardiff
Why the pain?

No need to go through all this downgrading palava any more. Just use *spooffw and upgrade via kies as normal...easy peasy and no flashing required.

Search for "kies spoof"

*it fools kies into thinking you're on older firmware and offers you the upgrade to current fw

cookm75

Dec 26, 2010
Brighton
No, only tick the options stated in the guide.

Also be aware that you do not tick "Re-partition" on the second flash (JPY)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

TotallydubbedHD

Dec 7, 2010
London
www.youtube.com
I never realized there was a written guide for this.
I just posted a video yesterday on how to debrand, unroot, and then update via kies.

Thus going from any custom kernel/rom theme etc.. to:
JPU, JPY then updating your version via KIES to JVO - good for warranty purposes.

Landorin

Mar 8, 2009
Thanks for this guide. :) I was on JVO (samfirmware) and wanted to downgrade to get the official latest version installed later.

It didn't fully work for me but eventually got it working.

After having flashed from JPU to JPY Kies detected the phone (did not on JPU). However, it said there is no newer firmware version available.

So I flashed I9000XXJQ3_XXJPY_DBTJS2\PDA_JQ3.tar.md5 as PDA and I9000XXJQ3_XXJPY_DBTJS2\CSC_DBT_JS2.tar.md5 as CSC which I got from samfirmware (these were the versions I used to have on my SGS originally from Kies when I was still on 2.2.1).

*edit April 2012:*
had to downgrade again and went same procedure. However, couldn't remember whether I also flashed "phone". So this time I also added I9000XXJQ3_XXJPY_DBTJS2\PHONE_JPY.tar.md5 as PHONE in addition to the files I listed above as well as I ticked re-partition and added the same pit file I used on the first two flashes.
Afterwards, Kies detected the phone and offered the upgrade. Did that and now it has PDA: JVI, PHONE: JVO, CSC: JV2 (DBT)
*edit end*

Attachments

• odin3.png
    odin3.png
    151 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

LynzSGS

Jul 9, 2011
The JPU firmware will then be installed onto the phone, it will take a few minutes and the phone will reboot.

How long is a "few minutes"? Odin has been at the following stage for just over half an hour now...

<ID:0/011> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/011> Initialzation..
<ID:0/011> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/011> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!

My phone doesn't appear to be doing anything and just has the yellow/luminous green android figure digging with "Downloading..." beneath it and "Do not turn off Target!!!" showing on the screen.

Should it be taking this long?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S I9000 that was on GB 2.3.4, but due to excessive battery draining, and the phone locking up on a black screen with the only way to recover being to remove battery, it was suggested to me at Carphone Warehouse to try flashing it back to Froyo.

gfacer

Jan 24, 2011
Vancouver and area
No I had the same issue. From what I understand if there are no file names under the do not turn off target line and no blue progress bar on the phone then you waited too long from connection to flashing. Get everything ready and then connect the phone and start.

Nothing has been done yet at the stage you mention.

G

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: LynzSGS

Lunchbox115

Jan 12, 2011
Salzburg, Austria
Just pull out the battery, boot into download mode again and try flashing once more, it will pass successfully this time. ;)

Sent from hell to take your soul

Last edited:
Reactions: LynzSGS

LynzSGS

Jul 9, 2011
Thank you both gfacer & Lunchbox115.
I have now successfully flashed my phone with Froyo and then re-upgraded to Gingerbread through Kies.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the problems my phone was having have now been solved.

Flixrin

Aug 22, 2011
This may be a dumb question, but anyway... Does this whole thing works for samsung galaxy mini? If yes, do you need to unroot it if you already have it rooted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Like many I installed the leaked version of Gingerbread on my Galaxy S when it first came out, but now Samsung have finally released Gingerbread in the UK, I would like to install the official release. But need to reinstall the official version of Froyo in order to do this via Kies.

I have had to spend quite a large amount of time looking for the process of doing this, as there seems to be conflicting information/methods out there. Also I understand Gingerbread has a new boot loader (the installed the version including the secondary boot loader) which also needs taking back to original, and I have also found that most of the guides out there always seem to leave a few questions unanswered :confused:

So after finding what appears to be the best and I believe the safest method, I thought I would post it on here for others.

Before I go into the steps on how i did this, I need to make a few points:

1) Any firmware installation carries risks. This is not approved by Samsung, and you do it entirely at your own risk....i’m no expert, I simply found a method that works for me. So if it all goes wrong, don’t come crying to me (however, after trying a different method previously, my phone would not boot, but I was able to re-flash with the leaked Gingerbread successfully).

2) Do not try this procedure if you are unable to get your Galaxy S into Recovery mode (Vol Up + Home + Power) and Download mode (Vol Down + Home + Power). A number of these phones have this issue, mine was one of them, there are guides online to fix this issue.

3) There seems to be a number of people who have issues with upgrades on Kies even when they haven’t messed with the firmware, so even if you cannot upgrade thru Kies, it doesn’t mean there has been a problem with Flashing the phone.

4) Backup your phone before flashing, as the phone will be wiped.

5) As far as I understand, this is only for the I9000 model and not for any of the other variants of this phone out there.

6) NEVER try to flash the phone without putting it into Download mode first, you will brick your phone.

------------------------------------------

First of all you will need a Windows PC, USB Cable, 2 Downloads (below)....oh and ideally a Samsung Galaxy S ;)

Download 1 (JPU)
    http://hotfile.com/dl/99955459/dea6962/I9000XXJPU.rar.html
    Password: samfirmware.com

Contents when extracted:
    GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJPU.tar.md5
    I9000XXJPU-REV03-PDA-low-CL747761.tar.md5
    MODEM_I9000XXJPU.tar.md5
    s1_odin_20100512.pit
    Odin3v1.3

Download 2 (JPY)
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EWTHLRU6
    No Password

Contents when extracted:
    JPY_JPY_JPY.tar

The idea is to flash with XXJPU first to get the base version of Froyo which includes the SBL, then to Flash with JPY, this will allow you to use Kies for firmware updates (ensure Kies is completely closed before starting this).

1. Download and extract the above files.

2. Power off phone, remove sim and memory card, then start up in Download Mode and plug USB cable into phone (not PC).

3. Open Odin and select the following Files:

PDA: I9000XXJPU-REV03-PDA-low-CL747761.tar.md5
    PHONE: MODEM_I9000XXJPU.tar.md5
    CSC: GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJPU.tar.md5

Ensure the following options are ticked: Re-Partition, Auto Reboot & F.Reset Time

4. Plug the USB into the PC, after a few seconds it should displayan “Added” message in Odin, then click on the ‘Start’ button.

***Under no circumstances unplug the usb cable, press any buttons on the phone or generally do anything that could interrupt the process, until it has complete and the phone is full restarted***

Once this is complete, you are ready to flash the phone with the JPY version, very similar process, but please read as not all of Odin settings are the same.

5. With USB unplugged from PC, power off the phone and restart in Download mode.

6. Re-open Odin and select the following files:

PDA: JPY_JPY_JPY.tar

Ensure the following options are Ticked: Auto Reboot & F.Reset Time (NEVER tick ‘Re-Partition’ when using a single firmware file for flashing as this could Brick your phone)

7. Plug the USB into the PC, after a few seconds it should displayan “Added” message in Odin, then click on the ‘Start’ button.

The Firmware will then be installed onto the phone, it will take a few minutes and the phone will reboot.

And thats it, you should now be able to upgrade the firmware via Kies....that’s assuming Kies is working correctly, and your carrier has released it, i’m with T-Mobile UK, but bought my phone through the Carphone warehouse, and was able to update immediately.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this has been helpful, if you have any queries, I will try to answer, but as I said I am no expert, i've simply spent alot of time looking for the best method :)
    No I had the same issue. From what I understand if there are no file names under the do not turn off target line and no blue progress bar on the phone then you waited too long from connection to flashing. Get everything ready and then connect the phone and start.

Nothing has been done yet at the stage you mention.

G

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App
    Just pull out the battery, boot into download mode again and try flashing once more, it will pass successfully this time. ;)

Sent from hell to take your soul