[RECOVERY][ENCORE] TWRP 2.3.1.0 with on-screen keyboard! [2012-10-15]

Search This thread

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Team Win Recovery Project 2.3, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.3.1.0:
-Unmount system after boot to prevent some status 7 symlink failed errors on zip install
-USB Mass Storage code improvements
-Better handling of mounting storage during boot for some devices
-Fixed a problem with sizes of images (boot & recovery) after resetting defaults
-Fixed size errors during backup for some devices on recovery, etc.
-Fixed a problem with restoring backups when multiple archives were present

CHANGELOG for 2.3.0.0:
-Rebased onto AOSP Jelly Bean source code
-Rewrote backup, restore, wipe, and mount code in C++ classes for easier maintenance going forward
NOTE: backups from prior versions of TWRP are still compatible with 2.3
-ADB sideload functionality from AOSP is included in 2.3, see this link for more info
-Re-wrote fix permissions entirely in C++ and runs in a few seconds instead of a few minutes (thanks to bigbiff)
-Improvements to zip finding in OpenRecoveryScript (should be a lot fewer GooManager automation issues)
-Faster boot times
-Added charging indicator while in recovery (only updates once every 60 seconds)

While this update may not bring a host of new must-have features, this update is a significant re-write of much of the core TWRP code. AOSP Jelly Bean recovery source moved to mostly C++ code and now all of the "TWRP" code is fully rewritten into C++ as well. Now that we've laid this groundwork, we're in a much better position to pull in future AOSP recovery updates as well as implementing more great new features.

Since TWRP 2.3 is based on AOSP jelly bean sources, TWRP now uses recovery API 3 instead of 2. Some zips may no longer work if the developer is using an out-of-date update-binary. This API change should not be a problem on newer devices, but older devices will probably encounter several zips that need to be updated. If needed, you can try using this update-binary that was compiled with current sources. It goes in your zip file in the META-INF/com/google/android folder.

DOWNLOAD:
The fastest and easiest way to install TWRP is to use the GooManager app
For downloads and instructions please visit our TWRP website and choose your device in the dropdown menu

BUGS:
If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 30 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.

Last edited:

RileyGrant

Jan 17, 2011
Seattle
eyeballer one of the install steps is to push "kernel" to uRecImg but there is none? Am I missing something obvious?

Nburnes

Sep 4, 2010
Google Pixel 5a
hm, anyway to install this on an existing install? :eek:

Right from their page? Though idk what kernel they are talking about.

Download the above file. Connect your Nook Color to the PC via the USB cable. This assumes you have working ADB.

Execute the following:

adb shell busybox remount / -o rw,remount
adb shell busbbox mkdir /boot
adb shell busybox mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /boot
adb push twrp-encore-2.0.0RC0.ub /boot/uRecRam <--- You can change uRecRam to uAltRam for alternate boot.
adb push kernel /boot/uRecImg
adb shell busybox umount /boot

Reactions: Midnitte

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in

bobtidey

Jul 5, 2011
I was not having success installing this on emmc with the adb instructions probably because busybox was not set up the same way.

So I tried an different approach which was to use the NookColor UMS app to mount the boot partition so it shows up as a USB drive on PC called boot. I then just renamed uRecRam to uRecRamOld and copied in twrp-encore-2.0.0RC0.ub and renamed that to uRecRam. I didn't bother copying the kernel as per the previous posts.

Rebooting into recovery then brought up the TWRP recovery which looks very nice to use. Also works off the power up N after emmc recovery selected as expected.

Clockwork has given me good service but I think I'll be using this going forward.

Reactions: andrewddickey

andrewddickey

Jan 23, 2011
I was not having success installing this on emmc with the adb instructions probably because busybox was not set up the same way.

So I tried an different approach which was to use the NookColor UMS app to mount the boot partition so it shows up as a USB drive on PC called boot. I then just renamed uRecRam to uRecRamOld and copied in twrp-encore-2.0.0RC0.ub and renamed that to uRecRam. I didn't bother copying the kernel as per the previous posts.

Rebooting into recovery then brought up the TWRP recovery which looks very nice to use. Also works off the power up N after emmc recovery selected as expected.

Clockwork has given me good service but I think I'll be using this going forward.
I had to do the same thing. Kept getting an error that "applet not found" for busybox in adb.

Thanks for the alternate method.

This is a much better implementation of our hardware in backup.

Thanks TeamWin.

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
The only thing I don't really care for is... and I know I am doing things in a unique way....

I have SASD with CM7 on it... verygreen's recovery as alt-boot and replaced CWM with TWRP as recovery mode on the uSD... when in TWRP and reboot... it boots stock on eMMC instead of a normal boot... it should do a normal boot (uSD first)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 2.3, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Phone look:

Tablet look:

CHANGELOG for 2.3.1.0:
    -Unmount system after boot to prevent some status 7 symlink failed errors on zip install
    -USB Mass Storage code improvements
    -Better handling of mounting storage during boot for some devices
    -Fixed a problem with sizes of images (boot & recovery) after resetting defaults
    -Fixed size errors during backup for some devices on recovery, etc.
    -Fixed a problem with restoring backups when multiple archives were present

CHANGELOG for 2.3.0.0:
    -Rebased onto AOSP Jelly Bean source code
    -Rewrote backup, restore, wipe, and mount code in C++ classes for easier maintenance going forward
    NOTE: backups from prior versions of TWRP are still compatible with 2.3
    -ADB sideload functionality from AOSP is included in 2.3, see this link for more info
    -Re-wrote fix permissions entirely in C++ and runs in a few seconds instead of a few minutes (thanks to bigbiff)
    -Improvements to zip finding in OpenRecoveryScript (should be a lot fewer GooManager automation issues)
    -Faster boot times
    -Added charging indicator while in recovery (only updates once every 60 seconds)

While this update may not bring a host of new must-have features, this update is a significant re-write of much of the core TWRP code. AOSP Jelly Bean recovery source moved to mostly C++ code and now all of the "TWRP" code is fully rewritten into C++ as well. Now that we've laid this groundwork, we're in a much better position to pull in future AOSP recovery updates as well as implementing more great new features.

Since TWRP 2.3 is based on AOSP jelly bean sources, TWRP now uses recovery API 3 instead of 2. Some zips may no longer work if the developer is using an out-of-date update-binary. This API change should not be a problem on newer devices, but older devices will probably encounter several zips that need to be updated. If needed, you can try using this update-binary that was compiled with current sources. It goes in your zip file in the META-INF/com/google/android folder.

DOWNLOAD:
    The fastest and easiest way to install TWRP is to use the GooManager app
    For downloads and instructions please visit our TWRP website and choose your device in the dropdown menu

BUGS:
    If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 30 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
    Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.
    TWRP 2.2.0 is now live! See OP for the new features! Install via goo manager
    Well, after a long hiatus, the stirring of CM11 has piqued my interest over here again...

TWRP 2.6.3.0

Please test and report back!

EMMC Recovery install: http://techerrata.com/file/eyeballer/twrp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-encore-signed.zip
    EMMC AltBoot install: http://techerrata.com/file/eyeballer/twrp/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-encore-ALT-signed.zip
    Updated OP to 2.3.0.0
    ReverendJKR posted a great video on TWRP and Goo Manager working together.. Much more to come with this relationship :)

http://youtu.be/OA0S275XO3U