Loss of 4G?

Search This thread

snafufx

Feb 22, 2010
I've been trying to troubleshoot this problem for the past 3 days or so. In a nutshell, I'm on AllainceRom (which I have been since released) and get constant 4G signal. Wake up, head to work and notice no signal at all. I check and my mobile data was shut off, so connected it. It gets a connection...3G. Turn on/off airplane mode and still 3G. Borrow friends sim card, boot it up and it's 4G. Figuring it's the sim card, I buy a new one. Call Verizon to activate it, BAMM 4G is back. Within 2 minutes after the phone call, it loses signal, then kicks back on, 3G again. I would hit airplane mode on/off and 4G would pop out and all of a sudden it would go back to showing nothing,then revert to 3G again. Any ideas of what can cause this? I'm baffled. I even downloaded the MF1 versus ML1 and it still shows 3G. My download speeds, a blazing 2 megs. Almost feel like I've been throttled or something for some reason.

BattsNotIncld

Oct 25, 2011
Has your phone been working fine before and this just started happening over the past few days? Also do you only lose 4G in certain areas?

I know that it is recommended to flash the ML1 modem on any 4.3 based ROM because of potential 4G issues.

snafufx

Feb 22, 2010
This might sound odd, but I think somehow they are throttling me. I'm on the grandfathered unlimited plan. What's odd is that I can take an old sim card (from Thunderbolt), basically cut it to the same size as my S3, reboot and 4G is constant (this phone is part of my dummy line so limited to 2gigs per month). Take out that card, put in new one, it boots up and has like 4 bars while searching for signal, then drops to like 3 and connects to 3G again constant.
4G has been constant here for the past 2 years, Verizon tech support confirmed no outages. My wife and son have unlimited as well, but iphone 4's with 3G coverage. Thinking my unlimited 4G is getting knocked down for some reason.
I tried a new rom, Clean Rom and same results with signal quality. Just odd it happening all of a sudden with no changes.
Also, with my thunderbolt 4G sim card, mobile network type was listed as LTE. With the brand new sim card they activated, it's showing "CDMA -eHRPD", as it was showing with my old card.
Has your phone been working fine before and this just started happening over the past few days? Also do you only lose 4G in certain areas?

I know that it is recommended to flash the ML1 modem on any 4.3 based ROM because of potential 4G issues.

Last edited:

BattsNotIncld

Oct 25, 2011
This might sound odd, but I think somehow they are throttling me. I'm on the grandfathered unlimited plan. What's odd is that I can take an old sim card (from Thunderbolt), basically cut it to the same size as my S3, reboot and 4G is constant (this phone is part of my dummy line so limited to 2gigs per month). Take out that card, put in new one, it boots up and has like 4 bars while searching for signal, then drops to like 3 and connects to 3G again constant.
4G has been constant here for the past 2 years, Verizon tech support confirmed no outages. My wife and son have unlimited as well, but iphone 4's with 3G coverage. Thinking my unlimited 4G is getting knocked down for some reason.
I tried a new rom, Clean Rom and same results with signal quality. Just odd it happening all of a sudden with no changes.

I doubt you are getting throttled. Unless you are using up 100+ GB a month constantly. If that was the case you can call tech support and ask if you are. I'm pretty sure they would have to tell you if they were.

Was there something specific you did to your phone before this started happening? Have you tried different ROMs or re-flashing Alliance?

If you've exhausted all options I think something is borked and you need to reprovision. To do this you would need to ODIN to a stock 4.1.2 base and enter the reprovision code into the dialer (*2767*3855#). This will wipe your internal data so I would back up anything you need first. Once you do that you can re-root and flash a custom recovery then flash back to whatever you want.

Just make sure you don't take the 4.3 OTA if you return to stock unless you want to re-lock your bootloader.

Last edited:

snafufx

Feb 22, 2010
That's the odd thing, nothing was changed prior to this switching to 3G, like it happened all of a sudden. I checked my usage and I'm at 19 gigs this month (yeah I tether a lot).
I tried beanstalk rom (4.4.2) and something odd happened. In preferred network type, under CDMA+LTE/EVDO I would get 3G. If I switch it to LTE/GSM/WCDMA 4G would pop up, but no mobile data so unable to make phone calls. With this rom, I would insert my old thunderbolt sim card and 4G all day long again with no issues.
I guess the only option would be to revert to stock and start all over in hopes it'll switch back. I was hoping it was just the icons jacked up, but at 3G my d/l speed was 2 megs, at 4G it would hit 12-14 megs.

I doubt you are getting throttled. Unless you are using up 100+ GB a month constantly. If that was the case you can call tech support and ask if you are. I'm pretty sure they would have to tell you if they were.

Was there something specific you did to your phone before this started happening? Have you tried different ROMs or re-flashing Alliance?

If you've exhausted all options I think something is borked and you need to reprovision. To do this you would need to ODIN to a stock 4.1.2 base and enter the reprovision code into the dialer (*2767*3855#). This will wipe your internal data so I would back up anything you need first. Once you do that you can re-root and flash a custom recovery then flash back to whatever you want.

Just make sure you don't take the 4.3 OTA if you return to stock unless you want to re-lock your bootloader.

BattsNotIncld

Oct 25, 2011
If other SIM cards are working correctly, it can't be anything wrong with the phone. I would either go to Verizon and keep asking for new SIM cards until you get one that works, or try to reprovision like I explained earlier.

snafufx

Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm rocking stock 4.0.4. now and still only have 3G service. Guess I'll just keep it like this and hit up the Verizon store and have them figure it out since it's stocked back out.
If other SIM cards are working correctly, it can't be anything wrong with the phone. I would either go to Verizon and keep asking for new SIM cards until you get one that works, or try to reprovision like I explained earlier.

Samutd45

Apr 4, 2014
Austin
I was experiencing similar issues as you this morning. After an hour of the nice lady at tier 1 tech support telling me to erase everything on my phone and that it was probably bc I was talking to her on the phone while trying to fix it I reached a resolution upon calling back. I was sent to a higher tier tech support and they told me that my data was being throttled and it was directly related to my high data usage.

Confused I asked her how that was possible bc they aren't suppose to throttle LTE. She said there is a problem with their system and instead of only throttling 3G, it was now throttling LTE data. She explained this is a nationwide issue and that some people she has talked to have been experiencing trouble with this issue since March 23rd!!

Similar to you I tried another phone, my nexus galaxy only to experience the same problem. The only thing that worked for me was switching my network mode from LTE/CDMA to Global. I could then tether Netflix and use the data connection without being impeded. However, certain functions like my email (gmail and yahoo) and verizon cloud services would say network error or network communication error.

Strangely tonight my phone seems to be back in working order, I'm not sure if its just because there is no network congestion so I'm not being throttled and it will return or if the issue has been actually fixed.

Now that I think about it, it's possible the tech was wrong and it's a CDMA to lte handshake issue they are having which would explain why global mode would work? It maybe that they upgraded the towers to lte advanced in my area causing these types of issues but hard to confirm any of this with verizon being so tight lipped about what areas have lte advanced.

Last edited:

snafufx

Feb 22, 2010
Replied to your post, I'll update once I get back from Verizon.
I was experiencing similar issues as you this morning. After an hour of the nice lady at tier 1 tech support telling me to erase everything on my phone and that it was probably bc I was talking to her on the phone while trying to fix it I reached a resolution upon calling back. I was sent to a higher tier tech support and they told me that my data was being throttled and it was directly related to my high data usage.

Confused I asked her how that was possible bc they aren't suppose to throttle LTE. She said there is a problem with their system and instead of only throttling 3G, it was now throttling LTE data. She explained this is a nationwide issue and that some people she has talked to have been experiencing trouble with this issue since March 23rd!!

Similar to you I tried another phone, my nexus galaxy only to experience the same problem. The only thing that worked for me was switching my network mode from LTE/CDMA to Global. I could then tether Netflix and use the data connection without being impeded. However, certain functions like my email (gmail and yahoo) and verizon cloud services would say network error or network communication error.

Strangely tonight my phone seems to be back in working order, I'm not sure if its just because there is no network congestion so I'm not being throttled and it will return or if the issue has been actually fixed.

Now that I think about it, it's possible the tech was wrong and it's a CDMA to lte handshake issue they are having which would explain why global mode would work? It maybe that they upgraded the towers to lte advanced in my area causing these types of issues but hard to confirm any of this with verizon being so tight lipped about what areas have lte advanced.