Considering getting rid of Quad Core One X for Nexus

Search This thread

ÜBER™

Inactive Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Yeh its just to see if its capable - I'd like the ability to output 1080p to a TV via HDMI like I can with the HOX but its not critical. I wish they didn't make the GS3 so fecking hideous because that phone with the GNEX body would have been ideal.

Yeah i hear you.. im hoping that the nexus isnt too far off. Just a few things you should know. The screen could be a possible issue. Some suffer from a Purple Tint at low brightnesses, however this is Fixable as in my case i had this at ~10% brightness and fixed it with trinity and screen contrast. Another thing will be image rentention. You will notice this as well, but its only bad if it NEVER goes away. Not to drive you away at all.. just to make you aware of a few things.

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
Yeah i hear you.. im hoping that the nexus isnt too far off. Just a few things you should know. The screen could be a possible issue. Some suffer from a Purple Tint at low brightnesses, however this is Fixable as in my case i had this at ~10% brightness and fixed it with trinity and screen contrast. Another thing will be image rentention. You will notice this as well, but its only bad if it NEVER goes away. Not to drive you away at all.. just to make you aware of a few things.

Yeh I've read up on that how do you avoid permanent screen burn?

And I know its superficial but just out of curiosity what do you get on Quadrant with Trinity? (I hear either Franco or Trinity is the best?)

ÜBER™

Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Yeh I've read up on that how do you avoid permanent screen burn?

And I know its superficial but just out of curiosity what do you get on Quadrant with Trinity? (I hear either Franco or Trinity is the best?)

Dont know how to avoid it but i havent seen it since using Trinity's Color code which is also in the Samurai Kernel. I actually normally use the Samurai Kernel by Earthbound.iap. I favor his kernel tremendously but Trinity suffices until he puts out a new kernel and his kernel app he has been working on. As for quadrant i dont ever run them.. typically but i've gotten around 4000 or so... which most is I/O however for the CPU score i get 7300 or so and GPU 2d and 3d are 200/2500 or so. I also am using the one with the GPU overclocked to 537.

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
Dont know how to avoid it but i havent seen it since using Trinity's Color code which is also in the Samurai Kernel. I actually normally use the Samurai Kernel by Earthbound.iap. I favor his kernel tremendously but Trinity suffices until he puts out a new kernel and his kernel app he has been working on. As for quadrant i dont ever run them.. typically but i've gotten around 4000 or so... which most is I/O however for the CPU score i get 7300 or so and GPU 2d and 3d are 200/2500 or so. I also am using the one with the GPU overclocked to 537.

Would it be possible for someone to go to theverge.com on desktop mode and scroll to let me know the smoothness?

rayiskon

Jan 9, 2011
Would it be possible for someone to go to theverge.com on desktop mode and scroll to let me know the smoothness?

Just tried it on desktop mode and it's smooth, no lags at all whether during scrolling or zooming in/out, took around 5sec to load the full page in desktop mode, which i think is pretty quick comparing to other browsers.
As mentioned before, the only concern u might want to have about the nexus is display related, just make sure u get a good one, i was lucky and mine came just fine, but i see people here getting second and third replacements.. trust me the browser is way better than any other out there, including HOX and S3 ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
Just tried it on desktop mode and it's smooth, no lags at all whether during scrolling or zooming in/out, took around 5sec to load the full page in desktop mode, which i think is pretty quick comparing to other browsers.
As mentioned before, the only concern u might want to have about the nexus is display related, just make sure u get a good one, i was lucky and mine came just fine, but i see people here getting second and third replacements.. trust me the browser is way better than any other out there, including HOX and S3 ;)

What should I be looking for and how do I test it?

AdrianE46

May 27, 2010
Bucharest
I love my nexus, I really do. But if i were in your place i'd keep that sweet one x (great phone in my opinion) until the next nexus comes out.
Theres nothing wrong with your phone, and is certainly worth keeping for a few months at least, after which you'll have the "latest nexus".
If you decide to go with the gnex i don't think you'll regret it, since it's a good phone, after you root and tweak it a little (color control, volume).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus.

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
I love my nexus, I really do. But if i were in your place i'd keep that sweet one x (great phone in my opinion) until the next nexus comes out.
Theres nothing wrong with your phone, and is certainly worth keeping for a few months at least, after which you'll have the "latest nexus".
If you decide to go with the gnex i don't think you'll regret it, since it's a good phone, after you root and tweak it a little (color control, volume).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus.

Thing is though, I have the option to sell the One X then buy the Nexus and have 100 quid left over as a result ... plus the current trade in value of the One X at the place I trade phones in is only 40 quid more than the Nexus, so I wouldn't be losing out much for when the new Nexus comes out?

Whoops!

Feb 2, 2012
Lancashire
Thing is though, I have the option to sell the One X then buy the Nexus and have 100 quid left over as a result ... plus the current trade in value of the One X at the place I trade phones in is only 40 quid more than the Nexus, so I wouldn't be losing out much for when the new Nexus comes out?

If you keep sitting on the fence, you'll end up with a sore backside! LOL

rayiskon

Jan 9, 2011
What should I be looking for and how do I test it?

Just put the brightness to minimum and open a web page with white background, Google.com for example, also open a few pics and see if the colors look as if they are washed out. There are a few threads with pics around here so check them out. But be sure that coming from a hox whites might seem to u as greyish at low brightness. When it comes to displays, hox is superior in that field. As for "leaving the better hardware" , hardware is nothing without a good software, that's y even the allmighty galaxy S2 has a wake lag and occasional scroll lag, u can find here many of the S2 guys who switched to gnex who will confirm this. Gnex has the best software and basically ics and jb were designed with having gnex as a reference device. U do the math.

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
Just put the brightness to minimum and open a web page with white background, Google.com for example, also open a few pics and see if the colors look as if they are washed out. There are a few threads with pics around here so check them out. But be sure that coming from a hox whites might seem to u as greyish at low brightness. When it comes to displays, hox is superior in that field. As for "leaving the better hardware" , hardware is nothing without a good software, that's y even the allmighty galaxy S2 has a wake lag and occasional scroll lag, u can find here many of the S2 guys who switched to gnex who will confirm this. Gnex has the best software and basically ics and jb were designed with having gnex as a reference device. U do the math.

Is there any way to test this on a "new" device in a shop - can you bypass setup with ICS?

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
I bought it! I couldn't be happier its chuffing brilliant. Not noticeably slower anywhere than the One X and I'm just stock unrooted.

Where's best to go now for battery life and performance? Which ROM and kernel? Which tweaks?

ÜBER™

Nov 9, 2011
Texas
I bought it! I couldn't be happier its chuffing brilliant. Not noticeably slower anywhere than the One X and I'm just stock unrooted.

Where's best to go now for battery life and performance? Which ROM and kernel? Which tweaks?

Lol there is no one size fits all kernel ROM and tweaks. You have to choose one which fits you.

Sent From My Toro+ via SkyBlue Tapatalk

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
Will do! Think I'll try JellyBro and im yet to decide on a kernel... thanks by the way for fulfilling all my tedious requests last night you swayed me and I'm so glad you did. Really don't know what you'd get a quad core genuinely no advantage in current real world performance and to be honest I don't know what else will be realised in future that will require more than heavy flash usage tbh. Bar heavy gaming.

ÜBER™

Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Will do! Think I'll try JellyBro and im yet to decide on a kernel... thanks by the way for fulfilling all my tedious requests last night you swayed me and I'm so glad you did. Really don't know what you'd get a quad core genuinely no advantage in current real world performance and to be honest I don't know what else will be realised in future that will require more than heavy flash usage tbh. Bar heavy gaming.

Good choice.. i love Skankwich kangs. They are the best! As for a kernel each have their own little app to go along with it.. but most co-operate with each other. So until you find a happy medium i wouldnt purchase an app until thats the kernel you're going to use constantly. :D Glad i could be of assistence if you have any more questions i dont mind answering Private Messages.

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
I think I will give Franco a go firstly. His kernels on the One were rock solid and good on battery life.

rayiskon

Jan 9, 2011
Glad to see u made the transition to gnex. So, how's the browser performance?? :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It will not be a regret! I was a fan of the build quality of the one x and its speed but the nexus with jb on it ownes the one x (in my opinion). Plus there is a port of HTC sense 4.0 if you are a fan of sense!

sent from my GNexus rocking Jelly Bean!
    You'll get comparable screen on times. Most people get in the three to four hour range. Some less though, and I have seen upwards of five plus hours. A lot will depend on your setup and kernel of choice.
    The One X is a nice phone, one that would be tempting to me, as I do like Htc's build quality.
    The Nexus doesn't feel overly cheap to me or like to much plastic. I think that may be due to the Glass front and I run a cover so that kinds of changes the feel of the textured back to me.
    I do really like the dev community and support that the Nexus receives. One of the reasons that it would be hard for me to leave the Nexus.
    Good luck in your choice.
    Thanks for the reply mate. How does the battery life compare (screen on times)? And does the Nexus feel "cheap" this is one criticism i see levelled at it a lot. I have the option of the S3 but that does look ugly and cheap (too much chrome and too much shine as well as too much plastic.)

I will miss the One X's looks but I love the look of the Nexus, particularly on the front.

Could you give me a test of browser/flash performance? How is it on the Youtube website scrolling when the video is playing? Are button presses on the flash object (like pressing play/mute/pause) instant? I'm a heavy flash user (cricket/football/Sky Sports streaming) so this is important to me.

Extremely smooth. Flash hasn't been updated for jb. However you can still use the one for ICS. I haven't used flash but everything else works great. The battery life does fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Could someone test out http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ website on desktop mode and let me know scrolling performance/scrolling lag on the Nexus?

Tried the page u posted, no lag or stutters whatsoever. The galaxy nexus stock browser is one of the smoothest and quickest browsers out there, even back on ics days, no need to mention JB, everything just flies ;)

Brilliant. Just trying to think of things I could throw at you lot here - I know what works smooth on the One X and what doesn't. For one thing CVG on desktop mode would have lag from when you put your finger on the screen to the actual scroll taking place.

PCgamer.com was also similarly troublesome on the One X.

What "Screen On" times can I expect with a Nexus? I get 3/4 hours on the One X

Trust me, i owned htc and samsung phones, and since my htc desire days i stopped using stock browsers and dolphin was the main one on all phones that followed. after getting the gnex i was still skeptical about stock browsers, but it's really the best browser i've tried so far, adding to it's speed all the cool stuff like guick controls and inverted screen rendering, u just can't go wrong with it. Furthermore the jelly bean experience is far away from anything available on any other android device out there. I posted a youtube link a while ago about a review for JB on gnex , a part of the review concentrates on browser performance, i'll post the link here as soon as i get to my pc (don't feel like searching over my phone) :p

Edit: as for screen on times, it depends if u're planing to get the gsm or cdma (verizon/sprint) version. I have a gsm one and on ics i used to get continuosly over 5hrs screen on. On jb it dropped to ~ 4-4.5 hrs , i think Google Now is eating the battery, (giving me navigation and calculating traffic to home) even though i don't need it, and actually i'm still enjoying all these JB features so i guess i'll turn some of those uneeded gnow cards OFF soon, pretty sure it'll improve my battery life more :)