[Q] Need EVO 4G rooting help, issue with Hboot 6.16

Search This thread

emsdoc911

Mar 4, 2012
I have reas for hours on these forum post, nothing I have tried has worked. I have tried all the ways I could follow on here. I have an issue with the device showing an HBoot of 6.16 but the device is not rooted. The Last way I tried was with , but it gives me an error that the firmware is too new. The software is version 2.3.5. What are my options and can someone please give this elementary minded person a step by step guide how to fix this.
THANKS in advance!

imheroldman

Apr 10, 2011
Chico
hboot 6.16 is the modified hboot from revolutionary. Meaning you ate rooted, you may need to do a couple more steps... Make sure you have the newest version of su binaries and superuser.

Sent from my Evo using xda premium

Reactions: emsdoc911

Notorious

Aug 23, 2011
Sydney
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 9
hboot 6.16 is the modified hboot from revolutionary. Meaning you ate rooted, you may need to do a couple more steps... Make sure you have the newest version of su binaries and superuser.

The hboot 6.16 means he might have been nand unlocked at one point. But in the process to s-on you have to flash the hex edited hboot to turn s back on then run the ruu to get 2.16 hboot back. Sometimes people are to lazy and just turn the s back on and leave the 6.16 hboot from revolutionary

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
The s-on hboot is v6.17 so he should still be s-off which means he just needs to flash an Amon RA PC36IMG.zip and then flash su and su bin or a rooted ROM

We are legion, for we are many

emsdoc911

Mar 4, 2012
more info for my problem

Here is what my phone shows
Revolutionary
Supersonic E V T 3 ship S-OFF
H-Boot 6.16.1002
Micro P-041F
Touch Panel ATMEL 224_16a b
Radio 2.15.00.12.19
March 8,2011

Thanks for the replies, and can one of you kind folks give me a step by step of what to do here as I am new at this.
Thanks again

kimber45

Apr 9, 2011
Mizzery
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=7226 Here is a link to the recovery Evil suggested and I would check out the stickys in development thread. Lots of helpful links. Biggest thing is read,read,read and search (i use google instead of xda search). Your bootloader is unlocked so your options are endless.

Mezmerized TSM EI20 LeanKernel ADW Launcher Antique CM theme

gd6noob

Apr 29, 2011
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=7226 Here is a link to the recovery Evil suggested and I would check out the stickys in development thread. Lots of helpful links. Biggest thing is read,read,read and search (i use google instead of xda search). Your bootloader is unlocked so your options are endless.

Mezmerized TSM EI20 LeanKernel ADW Launcher Antique CM theme

link doesnt work...

this is what shows up in my bootloader... is the hboot 6.16 not good to use or something?

Last edited:

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
You need a recovery, your hboot is fine recovery will be renamed PC36IMG.zip placed on sd card without being in a folder then when u boot into hboot it will ask you to update volume up to accept the update this will install recovery. Next you will go to androidsu.com and download the zips for superuser-efghi and the matching su-binary-efghi, then boot into recovery make a backup just the preselected options plus wimax to start when the backup is complete back out to the menu and select wipe, in wipe clear cache and then dalvik cache, back to main menu, now select install zip from sd card, might be flash zip from sd depending on your recovery version then locate the superuser zip and install it, back out to main menu go to wipe repeat cache and dalvik wipe the back to main menu then install again now select the binary zip and install, now reboot your phone you are now rooted

Sent from my Anonymous DeathStar in the depths of GalaXy S2

emsdoc911

Mar 4, 2012
Another question, sorry

On the backup, do I choose Nandroid backup or do I choose baxck Google Proprietary system files??
Thanks for helping this newbie

emsdoc911

Mar 4, 2012
I think I am rooted??

Thanks for the help, got through the backup and all the steps you guys and evil gave me. I think I am rooted. I have this new icon that says Superuser, I guess I am lost from here, whats next??

Notorious

Aug 23, 2011
Sydney
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 9
Thanks for the help, got through the backup and all the steps you guys and evil gave me. I think I am rooted. I have this new icon that says Superuser, I guess I am lost from here, whats next??

if you have superuser download a app that needs superuser permissions like wireless tether for root users or you can explorer and start flashing roms

emsdoc911

Mar 4, 2012
a little more info

When you say to start flashing roms?? tell me more. The Superuser kind of directs me to buy the elite version, but I am sure that I am just new and green to this. I saw a rooted device that allows more rows of icons on the screen, processor management, take off unwanted programs that are preinstalled. Any suggestions on these??
I guess I just need more direction, You all have been a great help.
Thank you, thank you!!

kimber45

Apr 9, 2011
Mizzery

If you have superuser access i would download app Titanium Backup Root and under settings choose Batch and backup all user apps before flashing anything new. Then after u flash (a new rom) u can re-download titanium (tb) and restore your apps. A few other apps i would suggest are ES File Explorer or Root Explorer, AdFree, and my fav. Boot Manager.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

When you say to start flashing roms?? tell me more. The Superuser kind of directs me to buy the elite version, but I am sure that I am just new and green to this. I saw a rooted device that allows more rows of icons on the screen, processor management, take off unwanted programs that are preinstalled. Any suggestions on these??
I guess I just need more direction, You all have been a great help.
Thank you, thank you!!

I could write a book on ur questions. You should go over to the EVO 4G Development Thread and start reading. Start at the Stickies!
There is no need to buy the elite version of superuser, as far as i'm concerned. With being rooted(superuser) u can uninstall any app(program) on ur phone, but u need to be careful cause un-installing some apps will cause ur main phone functions not to work properly. Do some reading first.

I spent 2 months reading threads before i even rooted for the first time, let alone flashed a new rom.

csrohena

Jan 12, 2011
You need a recovery, your hboot is fine recovery will be renamed PC36IMG.zip placed on sd card without being in a folder then when u boot into hboot it will ask you to update volume up to accept the update this will install recovery. Next you will go to androidsu.com and download the zips for superuser-efghi and the matching su-binary-efghi, then boot into recovery make a backup just the preselected options plus wimax to start when the backup is complete back out to the menu and select wipe, in wipe clear cache and then dalvik cache, back to main menu, now select install zip from sd card, might be flash zip from sd depending on your recovery version then locate the superuser zip and install it, back out to main menu go to wipe repeat cache and dalvik wipe the back to main menu then install again now select the binary zip and install, now reboot your phone you are now rooted

It works perfect for me...Thanks alot...

toron813

Jun 13, 2012
FLA. TAMPA BAY AREA
roms

ok i had the same problem and followed all the stepps. i was rooted untill i updated my phone and was getting the hang of flashing roms and trying them out but i kinf of forgot how to do so. what are the steps i take when flashing roms. i did the nandroid back up but kind of forgot what to do when installing roms. do i clear catche and just install from sd card?

dreign

Dec 29, 2010
same issue

I had the same issue. hboot 6.16 revolutionary s-off but i was not rooted and on the stock recovery. i thought i was a goner because no pc36img i downloaded would flash in bootloader and ruu's wouldn't flash. I just recently started revolutionary and when i plugged my phone in revolutionary said 'you are already s-off, do you want to flash revolutionary clockwork recovery?' Once I hit Y (yes) it flashed the recovery and i was rooted again. this took a whole lot of guessing and checking so hopefully this helps someone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Pull battery out reinsert battery then press power button +volume down. Does it say s-off and revolutionary at the top or just hboot 6.16 s-on?

The hboot 6.16 means he might have been nand unlocked at one point. But in the process to s-on you have to flash the hex edited hboot to turn s back on then run the ruu to get 2.16 hboot back. Sometimes people are to lazy and just turn the s back on and leave the 6.16 hboot from revolutionary

Sorry apparently didnt work from my phone. Ill give it another shot from the pc. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=705026