Are in-app purchases effective?

Search This thread

Magissia

May 9, 2012
From an user side, i think what ZenStudio did with ZenPinball is the best way to do.

You pay for the first level when buying the .apk, and you have in app buy for other level.

Same for Windup knight.

Theses are the games where i spent most money on Android.

Regards

fyska

Dec 23, 2010
I totally see that IAB is the best way to make money at the minute, but as a user I don't really like it. It's really been ruined by ****ty companies like EA who have popups everywhere trying to get you to buy stuff

tom.mleko

Jul 22, 2013
dataspin.io
I totally see that IAB is the best way to make money at the minute, but as a user I don't really like it. It's really been ruined by ****ty companies like EA who have popups everywhere trying to get you to buy stuff

It is all about balance, there are many examples of games which are balanced in the right way, ie. a player is perfectly capable to finish it without paying a single cent. EA is an extreme example from the opposite side of the spectrum :)

I don't have too much experience (I've just released my first game), but it looks like it depends on the approach - is IAP used to unlock some more levels, or all the levels are free and you use IAP to buy additional stuff (boosts, coins, etc.) I'm trying the former approach, and the stats show that <3% users do IAPs.

Paulie Pham

Aug 12, 2015
Ha Noi
In-app purchases are effective for games and in fact, most successful mobile games now are in-app purchase. You can look at Temple Run or Clash of Clans.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As the title says, are in-app purchases as effective as I'd like to think they are?

As we're all fully aware, there are a lot of people around the internet who will do whatever they can to get a game or app that they shouldn't be able to.
    Obviously developers have to make money when they choose to because otherwise they could be making a loss and not want to continue to develop any more. What is their best option to make money?

1) They could have a price on their app/game but once paid for, no more money will need to be spent in the app/game.
    2) They could use the popular method of creating a free version and a paid version.
    3) Have the app/game free of charge but have in-app purchases to make some money from it.

There are of course downsides to each of the options above but in my mind, the best option is 3) because it's not as easy to be able to get around the paying system. The only way around, that I can currently think of, would be by using cheat systems such as GameCih.
    Whereas with the other 2 options, it's fairly easy to be able to bypass the required payment.

A perfect example of in-app purchases working is with Shadowgun Deadzone.
    If the app had not been free, chances are I wouldn't have been interested in it because I couldn't test it before buying.
    As the game is free, I tested the game out and because I thoroughly enjoy the game, I've since bought in game gold numerous times and will continue to do so.

I know that not everyone will have the same mentality as me but it proves, in my case, that in-app purchases work.

What are your thoughts on in-app purchases or what do you feel are the benefits of simply putting a price on the app/game?