[Discussion] GPS Problems, Lock speed, Accuracy, Fixes - The Poll

Your GPS oppinion

• I use GPS a lot and it works great.

Votes: 238 13.5%
  • I use GPS a lot and sometimes it's Ok, other times unusable.

Votes: 405 22.9%
  • I use GPS a lot and it's really bad.

Votes: 427 24.2%
  • I don't use GPS a lot, when I try - it's OK.

Votes: 230 13.0%
  • I don't use GPS a lot, when I try - it's really bad.

Votes: 303 17.2%
  • Other/See Results.

Votes: 163 9.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

larryccf

Nov 23, 2009
don't know if this will have any bearing but i'll throw it out there as earlier you guys were commenting about other nav programs interfering

on the tmobile forum, someone posted that telenav gps is running in the background, even though it doesn't show to be, he pulled up another management app that indicated it was

he suggested an app called "startup auditor" to dis-able it

if you guys are rooted, i assume you've eliminated that program, but in case

boomerbubba

Jul 20, 2010
on the tmobile forum, someone posted that telenav gps is running in the background, even though it doesn't show to be, he pulled up another management app that indicated it was

I don't like the bloatware, but I think it is a red herring as far as the real GPS issues go. Besides, I believe that is T-Mobile's bloatware inflicted on its U.S. customers, so irrelevant here. We yanks are sort of trespassing in the I9000 forum.

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Let me clarify.

Firstly we see in the NMEA logs than sometimes it does achieve ten satellite fixes, but when reported in Android in programs like GPS Test, the accuracy only ever reaches at minimum 16.4ft and never fixes onto more then eight satellites.

This gave us some hope that maybe something else was going on so that whatever was reported to Android in terms of positioning was different to raw data and we only had to rely on Samsung to get everything sorted out.

But unfortunately, the NMEA info is out too.

For those curious, I have links to both the NMEA data track, and the MyTracks log:

NMEA
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...=52.474338,-1.799355&spn=0.0149,0.045319&z=15

MyTracks
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...2.476011,-1.793132&spn=0.014899,0.045319&z=15

I opened the two kml files in Google Earth and what is interesting to see is that the NMEA log records more points than mytrack:
Naamloos.jpg

Naamloos2.jpg

(white line is MyTrack log, blue line connected to blue squares is from the NMEA log)

The fact that you've seen 10 fixed sats in the nmea log is really interesting. It may (thus) be that we never see such rare fixes because they slip between the measurements on a higher api level or are simply not polled by the different GPS apps on Android.

For those who want to compare the tracks made by Simon, I've attached the two kml files of these trackings in a zip file. They can be opened in Google Earth.

Attachments

• tracks.zip
    757 bytes · Views: 7
Last edited:

tejajuloori

Jul 12, 2010
Guys I was thinking of getting this phone or nexus or desire,and read a few posts suggesting it could be a hardware problem with galaxy s...any news on whether it will be fixed?
Sent from my GT-I5700 using XDA App

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Guys I was thinking of getting this phone or nexus or desire,and read a few posts suggesting it could be a hardware problem with galaxy s...any news on whether it will be fixed?

I'm not convinced that there's something wrong with the GPS hardware. It could very well be that the majority of GPS apps running on android aren't as sensitive as the GPS itself :)

Kilack

Jul 2, 2010
Ok, now you're adding nothing to my comment :) My comment implies pretty much what you are saying.

Maybe we are misunderstanding you because from your comment I picked up that you think it is a problem with the apps rather than the hardware. I am not sure how you come to that conclusion given that the raw nmea data was incorrect coming from the chip also?
Perhaps a driver issue or something between the chip and the apps but i cant really see how the apps can be at fault here....

tejajuloori

Jul 12, 2010
Maybe we are misunderstanding you because from your comment I picked up that you think it is a problem with the apps rather than the hardware. I am not sure how you come to that conclusion given that the raw nmea data was incorrect coming from the chip also?
Perhaps a driver issue or something between the chip and the apps but i cant really see how the apps can be at fault here....
+1

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht

incorrect is I think not the right word. I've seen worse tracks.
Simon's tracks are for more than 90% on the road. Again, I can't imagine that a navigation program would have many trouble with it.

Kilack said:

My speculations are driven by some observations I made before with a program called OzuxMaps. (quote from a post in this thread:)

myself somewhere in this thread said:
I once made a very significant observation.
During a walk in the forest I just couldn't get a fix with my favorite off-road map program OruxMaps. For 20 minutes or so I walked without getting any fix. Then, really tired of this, I decided to do some ad hoc experiments to see if I could get a fix after all. I went into the settings menu of OruxMaps and without any clue I changed the time between two GPS measurements from 2 (default value in OruxMaps) to 1 seconds. I left the settings menu, back to the map display and *bam* immediately I got a fix. I just couldn't believe my eyes! The fix was really stable and for at least 2 minutes I was testing the fix the satellites stayed fix. I thought I just had a lucky hit so I decided to go back in the settings menu and changed the time between the measurement back from 1 to 2 sec. and again I couldn't get a fix. I changed it back again to 1 sec. and during a 1,5 hour walk I constantly had a fix.

If the gps gives a lot of changing data and a program takes just one datum so now and then from this pool without a statistical analysis it is not suprising that it can hit on a sequence of wrong data.

Also the fact that Simon observed that the NMEA data stream have shown some fixes on 9 or 10 sats, and we never seen such a fix in programs like GPS Test and GPS Status can also point to the fact that some relevant data is missed.

What I want to do is to write a GPS app that will infer all relevant GPS data from a NMEA stream and compare that to the data it will get from other interfaces.

tejajuloori

Jul 12, 2010
@appelflap - a part of your statement may be true,but the known fact is this device has a malfunctioning gps,it may be the software drivers or the hardware that is faulty..and many apps which run on the desire and othrs- google navigation for example don't get proper fix on galaxy s..

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
@appelflap - a part of your statement may be true,but the known fact is this device has a malfunctioning gps,it may be the software drivers or the hardware that is faulty..and many apps which run on the desire and othrs- google navigation for example don't get proper fix on galaxy s..

Here is a little track of 6km I did with OruxMaps with a setting of 1s between two measurements. I don't think my GPS is malfunctioning. In fact, I think it is very accurate!

Track on google maps

Beowulf_pt

Jul 29, 2010
Lisbon
Guys I was thinking of getting this phone or nexus or desire,and read a few posts suggesting it could be a hardware problem with galaxy s...

I am also waiting to buy/or not and hoped that by now we'd have at least some good information on if the problem is hardware-dependent and can never be really fully fixed.

Well, I guess that even it its just drivers/firmware there are no guarantees that Samsung/Broadcom will ever bother to fine-tune it much.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the SGS with one of those cheap external 1.5 GHz GPS antennas just to see how it performs when getting a bit better SnRs.

Case_

Aug 12, 2009
Brno
www.edgeoftheworld.cz
I've done a little comparison myself as well today - once again, the cheapo Vodafone 845 (about 100€) vs. Galaxy S (about 500€). I've had the VF in my pants front pocket and Galaxy in my shirt's breast pocket, so I'd say the signal conditions for both were pretty even. Red path is Galaxy, blue is VF845 and green is the real path taken as accurately as I was able to reproduce it.

GPS Comparison - VF845 vs Galaxy S

The thing I find interesting is how consistent the GPS in VF845 is (it fluctuates a lot, but otherwise the tracking is pretty solid) in comparison with Galaxy's GPS, which is sometimes actually more precise than the VF's, produces much "neater" tracks...and then all of a sudden something happens and the track is all over the place (see the end). I've been desperately trying to find that "something" and one thing occured to me - 20 or so meters before the railroad crossing I've heard a text message notification on the Galaxy, but didn't bother to read it. And strangely enough, GPS accuracy seems to be degrading from then on. Could that be a factor as well? And one more thing - that last third of the track is located very near our local strongest BTS - could that perhaps have some effect as well? Though I really might be grasping at straws here. You could say that the last part is so bad because of the trees, but then again I went through the park as well, where the trees are quite dense and you can't actually see the sky at all there, unlike the last part by the river, but in the park the GPS performed flawlessly.

TravUK

Aug 20, 2008
UK
Well, I guess that even it its just drivers/firmware there are no guarantees that Samsung/Broadcom will ever bother to fine-tune it much.

Both companies are working on getting the fix out asap. The amount of testing that goes into ensuring they make things better and not worse shouldn't be underestimated.

Last edited:

sjdean

Jul 3, 2010
If the gps gives a lot of changing data and a program takes just one datum so now and then from this pool without a statistical analysis it is not suprising that it can hit on a sequence of wrong data.

Also the fact that Simon observed that the NMEA data stream have shown some fixes on 9 or 10 sats, and we never seen such a fix in programs like GPS Test and GPS Status can also point to the fact that some relevant data is missed.

This is not a reason to suggest that the Apps are in anyway at fault, or are not as sensitive in reading in NMEA data.

I have seen the same GPS Test App run on a HTC Desire showing a 10 satellite fix with some below 20 SnR.

The problem is therefore not the Aps, but in how the information is reported from the GPS chip to Android. This will either be Samsung and their libgps.so interface, perhaps Broadcoms GLL library or GPS driver. Or perhaps there's a problem with how the raw data itself is generated, some kind of Rf issue on the chip, or other programming error.

What I want to do is to write a GPS app that will infer all relevant GPS data from a NMEA stream and compare that to the data it will get from other interfaces.

Whatever program you write, you will see the location and NMEA information in one place, and the satellite status information in another. The position will be off in both.

Here's another map, walking. Im yet to dig out the NMEA data... but...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...52.498655,-1.705413&spn=0.005173,0.01929&z=16

sjdean

Jul 3, 2010
Both companies are working on getting the fix out asap. The amount of testing that goes into ensuring they make things better and not worse shouldn't be underestimated.

Just wish Samsung would actually come out and say something, not hide behind giving out instructions on how to use Google Maps when you phone up to find out if the phone you have is faulty or whether its a firmware bug.

If Samsung would just say yes, there's a bug, we're working on it, then we can leave them alone and say, ok, fair enough, anything we can do to help? Any chance of a pre-release so we can see the progress and provide feedback?

andrewluecke

Jul 11, 2010
Just wish Samsung would actually come out and say something, not hide behind giving out instructions on how to use Google Maps when you phone up to find out if the phone you have is faulty or whether its a firmware bug.

If Samsung would just say yes, there's a bug, we're working on it, then we can leave them alone and say, ok, fair enough, anything we can do to help? Any chance of a pre-release so we can see the progress and provide feedback?

Is there any reason to assume they aren't though?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Which modem are you using with Darky's rom ?

JL2

10 chars...
    [video] Bluetooth GPS and SGS GPS compared

Yeah but who cares if signal is low indoors? Maybe it's always high outdoor? And maybe that with a good signal the SGS behave better than the Bluetooth GPS who knows?

Tests should be made under normal usage scenarios. And I see two main ones:

-Mounted in the windshield of a car
    -in a pocket while running/cycling/trekking/kayaking/skiing/parachuting/etc.
    I've had plenty of GPS problems so I trust you. However, I think you should record tracks while in your car if you want to proove someone that your GPS is wrong.
    OK, I've made a video: the SGS is mounted in my car (real condition - normal usage scenario) ;)

At the beginning I'm parked and then I drive in town.
    As I'm in town, there are some buildings and the car has an athermal windscreen so the satellite signal reception is not very good. However the GPS is still usable (you can see that sometime the accuracy of the bluetooth GPS drops briefly...).
    In this test the red mark is the current position reported by an old bluetooth SIRF III GPS and the green mark corresponds to the signal of my Galaxy S (I9000) internal GPS.
    The blue circles represent the accuracy reported for each GPS. The mark size is approximately 5 to 10 meters and the map is centred on the bluetooth GPS.
    As I was in the car I can say that the bluetooth GPS position was quite accurate...
    Sorry, I didnt pay attention before, but now I see your "video" is very interesting!
    Which softwares are you using in order to:

Use both ( a internal and a external) gps receivers at the SAME TIME and allowing MOCK location??
    For the bluetooth GPS, I'm using BlueGPS4Droid which works pretty well with my BT-338. I have configured it to redirect the bluetooth GPS on its own GPS provider. So the internal GPS and the bluetooth GPS are both available at the same time :cool:
    Which software you use to capture video on screen?
    I'm using ShootMe (Screen Grabber) developed by Johan Cloetens.
    Did you ever run a offboard gps program like iGo or Navigon, which are much more reliable than Google navigation?
    How can I compare both GPS, if I use a app that tempers the GPS data ?
    No misunderstanding, that's fine... but not for this particular purpose.
    On the other hand, I prefer also to use open data (OpenStreetMap) and open source software when I can...
    Just back from a long car trip to Germany and my sgs ran iGo MyWay (8.4), flawlessly not only on the highway but also inside the busy city of Hamburg, without any assist of an external bluetooth or a-gps ..

Anyway I am interesting on that software (video screen capture)..
    My video cam is on a strike
    Since Samsung's last official Froyo update, the GPS of my SGS (July version) doesn't last more than 5 minutes after the first fix. So it's barely usable even with a very good navigation app (another of the many problems I have with my SGS GPS...).
    Except that (and the lack of notification led) it's a great phone.