[Q] want to install recovery with s-off

Search This thread

rajat836

Jan 17, 2013
Gorakhpur
i want to install this recovery i have untouched(locked) ZARA_UL(unlocked to all carrier) phone but S-OFF'd when i bought it...so can i simply install this recovery???????? without unlocking bootloader ....and plz guide me how to do it..........

Child's Play

Apr 27, 2014
i want to install this recovery i have untouched(locked) ZARA_UL(unlocked to all carrier) phone but S-OFF'd when i bought it...so can i simply install this recovery???????? without unlocking bootloader ....and plz guide me how to do it..........

u need to unlock the bootloader then install recovery

Orizence

Feb 25, 2013
Thunder Bay
that means i have to firstly s-on and then unlock bootloader through htcdev .......??????

NOOOOO! Just install Towelroot, and in adb obtain a shell session using the commands "adb devices" then "adb shell". then after obtain root privileges by typing "su" in the shell, after that run this command in the shell "echo -ne "HTCU" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=33796" (you should probably copy and paste that). After type "exit" and reboot into your bootloader. You are now bootloader unlocked and rooted no recovery needed. Now you should install SuperSU from the playstore for safety

You can get TowelRoot here https://towelroot.com/ just install it and run it and click "make it rain", the xda thread says it doesnt work on newer htc phones but since youre s-off it doesn't matter. I used this method to unlock my S-Off phone and everthing worked fine

Last edited:
Reactions: rajat836

rajat836

Jan 17, 2013
Gorakhpur
NOOOOO! Just install Towelroot, and in adb obtain a shell session using the commands "adb devices" then "adb shell". then after obtain root privileges by typing "su" in the shell, after that run this command in the shell "echo -ne "HTCU" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 bs=1 seek=33796" (you should probably copy and paste that). After type "exit" and reboot into your bootloader. You are now bootloader unlocked and rooted no recovery needed. Now you should install SuperSU from the playstore for safety

You can get TowelRoot here https://towelroot.com/ just install it and run it and click "make it rain", the xda thread says it doesnt work on newer htc phones but since youre s-off it doesn't matter. I used this method to unlock my S-Off phone and everthing worked fine

i think through this method i will loss my data and probably my phone will bootloop cause of "hcheck" file ....cause i read somewhere that because of hcheck file in bin\system.... phone can only obtain one state at a time unlock and s-on or locked and s-off........correct me if i m wrong

rajat836

Jan 17, 2013
Gorakhpur
i m so confused after installing towelroot and after clicking make it rain ........after sometime it says u should have root access and i checked with rootchecker app it says congratulation u have root access...........how??????

adb means i have to give the commands in fastboot mode ........

Child's Play

Apr 27, 2014
that means i have to firstly s-on and then unlock bootloader through htcdev .......??????
No u dont have to. Just unlock the bootloader thru htcdev. Make a backup bec unlocking the bootloader will erase everything on ur phone

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Towelroot is for rooting ur phone

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

i think through this method i will loss my data and probably my phone will bootloop cause of "hcheck" file ....cause i read somewhere that because of hcheck file in bin\system.... phone can only obtain one state at a time unlock and s-on or locked and s-off........correct me if i m wrong
To avoid bootloop, i sugguest that u delete the hcheck file or rename it first then unlock the bootloader

Last edited:

Orizence

Feb 25, 2013
Thunder Bay
No u dont have to. Just unlock the bootloader thru htcdev. Make a backup bec unlocking the bootloader will erase everything on ur phone

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Towelroot is for rooting ur phone

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

To avoid bootloop, i sugguest that u delete the hcheck file or rename it first then unlock the bootloader

If you are S-OFF you can run those commands in adb after running Towelroot with your phone rooted to unlock your bootloader with out having to wipe your phone

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

i m so confused after installing towelroot and after clicking make it rain ........after sometime it says u should have root access and i checked with rootchecker app it says congratulation u have root access...........how??????

adb means i have to give the commands in fastboot mode ........

To use that command you must enable USB Debugging in developers options. No need to go into fastboot

Child's Play

Apr 27, 2014
If you are S-OFF you can run those commands in adb after running Towelroot with your phone rooted to unlock your bootloader with out having to wipe your phone

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

To use that command you must enable USB Debugging in developers options. No need to go into fastboot
Didnt know abt that. I thought it was only for rooting ur phone

Orizence

Feb 25, 2013
Thunder Bay
cause if my phone is s-on'd it would never be hard brick .......

Unless you do something really stupid, it is quite hard to brick your phone while S-Off, flashing roms, kernels, and recoverys wont brick your device. With S-Off you can use most root apps on the PlayStore without having a custom kernel, also with s-off it allows you to flash roms in recovery with out having to flash the kernel manually.

rajat836

Jan 17, 2013
Gorakhpur
Unless you do something really stupid, it is quite hard to brick your phone while S-Off, flashing roms, kernels, and recoverys wont brick your device. With S-Off you can use most root apps on the PlayStore without having a custom kernel, also with s-off it allows you to flash roms in recovery with out having to flash the kernel manually.

thnxx mate for opening my eyes :cyclops:hahahaha

can u tell me how to run the adb i forgot the steps ..........i enabled usb debugging .....can i have to copy the SDK's platform-tool folder to c:\ .......and after this i dont remember ??????sorry:confused:

Child's Play

Apr 27, 2014
hey man can u give me the instruction for s-on my device ..........i want to unlock through htcdev(proper way)......if u dont mind
Dont do it. If u update the kk and it goes wrong with s-on, u cant downgrade hboot. U get stuck and theres no way to fix ur device. I notice that people have trouble updating the kk bec it fails. with s-off u can always fix issues. Its more safe than s-on

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Plz give me the steps how to do it

Sent from my HTC Desire 601 using XDA Free mobile app

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Install that, it will install the ADB and fastboot, and their respective drivers. After I can help you further