Stupid Questions Thread- No Question too stupid! I promise!

Do you think this thread is helping with unneeded threads from popping up?

• Yes! less threads asking common or stupid stuff

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No. but Like the idea

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • NO! Hate everything about this thread!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

unknownusername

Apr 26, 2011
Didn't want to start a new thread and this thread looks appropriate for my questions

Currently on Telus SGH-i747M. Recently updated from 4.1.2 Stock to 4.4.2 I747MVLUFNE6 Stock OTA. Rooted with towelroot and TWRP 2.8.0.1 installed

Just wanted to confirm that
1.) Enewmans S3Rx 4.0 TouchWiz 4.4.2 UCUFNE4 will work with my device. or other roms like task650/cm11/dirtyunicorn 7.8?

2.)Are there any limitations to the ROMs I can install? From what I've read I can't use ROMs older than 4.3

3.)I'm confused on the bootloader/modem limitations. Am I unable to change from my current NE6 to others?
And do the roms that are titled with NE4 (which seem to be quite the majority) change/come packaged with a bootloader/modem? Will modified touchwiz roms be any different? I'm pretty sure they don't include them and are ROM only right?

4.)If I wanted to restore/backup my current stock NE6 a nandroid of boot/system/data will restore everything from before?

Some of these questions have been answered in Enewmans ROM page but I just wanted to double check. Thanks in advance and for reading all that.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
1. Yes. S3Rx will work.
2. You can flash any and all roms available here. On 4.3 roms you may need the MJ2 or kt747 kernel if WiFi doesn't work. Older roms will work, but no guarantee they'll be bug free on the newer firmware.
3. You cannot downgrade your base firmware/bootloader. Only flash the same or newer than your current build.
Roms should never include bootloaders, modems or any other part of the base firmware. I've never run into one so you are pretty safe from this happening. NE4 roms are simply built from the NE4 system.
4. Correct

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Reactions: unknownusername

unknownusername

Apr 26, 2011
Thanks for the help. S3RX flash went super smooth. Can't post in the dev thread with sub 10 so I'm going to leave this here.

After some research, seems like bugs from from previous versions s3rx 3.0 have surfaced again with my NE6 bootloader/modem. I'm assuming NE6 is either newer or a Canadian only thing?

1.) Wifi only works with ktoonsez kernel.

2.) It's stuck at WCDMA preferred. No amount of changing through the list of preferred network modes changes anything. LTE popped up when i first booted the phone and put in the Telus apn settings but once it switched to wcdma it loses lte permanently.

I know NE6 isn't supported but I felt like I should share this info for others who might have the same issues as me.

Edit: And there's a really really annoying semi-permanent carrier label in my status bar now that's almost always present if nothing is in notification bar. Got no clue how to remove it

Last edited:
Reactions: DocHoliday77

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Can you post a screen shot if that carrier label you're talking about?
Not sure about the WCDMA and LTE issue, I'll post a link to your post in the thread and we can see if anyone else is having similar problems. One person mentioned something similar in the t-mobile thread though. I'm thinking it may be kernel related, but I can't be sure right now.
As for WiFi, I'll try to remember to make a flashable NE6 kernel you can try. PM me a reminder if it looks like I forget.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Oh, and NE6 is basically just the I747M version of NE4.

Reactions: mrrocketdog
Aug 23, 2012
Anyone losing data connection using the latest Beanstalk 4.4.4.065 (dtle)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
I've heard several having this issue. Apparently the latest base they are built from has something wrong that doesn't allow it to work with the modem. Something to that effect...

Reactions: mrrocketdog

skleper

Jan 15, 2009
boston
att s3 on tmobile - slow data

Recently bought AT&T SIII (unlocked) for my girlfriend. She is on tmobile and she started complaining about very slow internet. I confirmed it via speedtest, we were getting way less than 1mbps, so definitely not a 3G speed.

it is not a coverage issue
it is not a bad sim card issue

We went to tmobile office and tried another sim card, no luck. It couldn't even find the network at all. With the original sim card it could take 10min to get the network. Then we put at&t sim card, got the network but it was just as slow as tmobile's.

So, I am assuming the phone has dead/damaged/disabled antenna. Any other thoughts? Is it fixable? (i'm pretty good at soldering)

Everything stock. 4.3. APN settings are OK. (slow internet was from the very first time she started using the phone, it took her 2 weeks to realize that something is not right.)

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Recently bought AT&T SIII (unlocked) for my girlfriend. She is on tmobile and she started complaining about very slow internet. I confirmed it via speedtest, we were getting way less than 1mbps, so definitely not a 3G speed.

We went to tmobile office and tried another sim card, no luck. It couldn't even find the network at all. With the original sim card it could take 10min to get the network. Then we put at&t sim card, got the network but it was just as slow as tmobile's.

So, I am assuming the phone has dead/damaged/disabled antenna. Any other thoughts? Is it fixable? (i'm pretty good at soldering)

Everything stock. 4.3. APN settings are OK. (slow internet was from the very first time she started using the phone, it took her 2 weeks to realize that something is not right.)

The ATT s3 does not natively support AWS which may be the problem.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2344627

Right2Bear

Jun 3, 2013
Getting all the crap off my phone during a flash

So, I have been flashing roms trying to get something that has working bluetooth for my headset. I have flashed three or four roms in the process. I have been doing a wipe data, a wipe cache partition and wiping the davlik cache. Using ClockworkMod recovery v6.0.4.7 how can I clear out all the wasted space? I have like 1 gb of space available now and I keep most of my important stuff on the external sd card along with my backups etc... I tapped on the mounts and storage button just now but which of the options would flush out the phone of all the wasted space on it and allow me to go back into cwm and re-flash the rom if needed?
Hope it's not too dumb of a question.
Thanks in advance.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Are you talking about doing a TRUE Factory Reset? Do you want to wipe all apps and data, including the internal SD card? If so, choose format data. If you factory reset from a custom recovery it will wipe everything but internal SD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Right2Bear

Jun 3, 2013
I have been doing the factory reset to flash. I guess its the internal sd I need to wipe. I think I asked somewhere before how to do this but its lost in a thread somewhere.

Lt1streconbn

Nov 10, 2013
St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
Don't upgrade that far all at once! There's already a few threads on this on every device I believe lol all have similar answers.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

**I got a quick question** I havent flashed a new rom since like mid 2013, I was running Intergalactic rom 4.1.2 with ...MG2? (i think) modem. I wanted to update to a newer rom, the s5 rom or tasks rom, so I need to flash the newest modem then flash? Or do I have to do something with Odin?

Maybe not... An AT&T device on TMO can only hit 2g I believe, but even with the AT&T compatible Sim card you're still only receiving the 2g bands they share. TMO, ATT, VZW all use different bands. If TMO is the predominate company there get a TMO device or you're stuck I believe. The same is true in reverse because I had ATT device with TMO card in an ATT area... All 2g :( Get NET10 and get an ATT compatible Sim from them... You'll hit 4g LTE :) I do it here with ATT devices and NET10 Sims that are ATT compatible.

GMCsw

Sep 30, 2014
Quito
First Stupid Query..

Hello, I am new to this site and here is my first question for you all.

1. How do I get rid of all the boxes that appear on the left of my screen blocking the text so I can't read it?!!
I looked through the settings etc. and no joy.

2. I have an ATT SGH-I747 S3 I bought in the US last year. I am currently in South America working and recently bought a Tab4 for work. I have come to find out that the wifi-tethering will not work. The device is bone stock.
My carrier says the phone is broken!! A tech service said that my carrier does not in fact have a 4G network and that is why it will not work and a root would be required. I have toyed with the idea of checking out some new and better Roms but on the fence about the whole Root thing. My main goal if possible is to enable Tethering between my S3 and Tab4. I have tried several apps that claim to resolve this issue to no avail.

So it's time to appeal to the Guru's. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :good::good:

Thanks.

burndog 1213

Sep 9, 2014
I have a Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 that I recently switched over to Page Plus Cellular. I can no longer send mms messages, but I can send text messages with no smileys in them. I deleted the crap messages app they included. I keep getting the pop up message that "No APN is specified on this device. " I have downloaded a APN Changer from Google Play Store. However, I have no idea what to put in the fields required.
I'm starting to think going back to Boost Mobile or rooting to get their garbage off my phone? Page Plus doesn't seem much better either!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

This phone doesn't have a SIM card input or I would have already fixed it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

gfinockio

Aug 23, 2008
Stupid question time!

I've been running a custom ROM at 4.1.2 for the past year, and have found it meets most of my needs. But lately I've been thinking it's time to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Problem is - I have that "free" carrier unlock on my phone, which I think I'd lose if I upgrade to 4.4.2...

Advice? Is it worth moving up to KitKat if it means I lose my carrier unlock? I need to be unlocked at least once a year, but I'm wondering what features I'm missing out on by staying at 4.1.2...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is for those who have what they may feel is a stupid or simple question. Please read through the thread and use the search first. I know Google doesn't always like to make it easy to find answers, so lets work together to give answers where we can. And please remember you will be reported for flaming others.

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Thanks goes to lumin30 for coming up with this idea. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494423
    Hi.

What do batteries run on?

Also, if I melt some dry ice, can I liquid cool my phone without it getting wet?
    have to answ
    Theres a little pink bunny beating on a big bass drum. The faster he beats the more electricity your battery puts out. When he gets tired you plug your phone up so he can rest. You know he's well rested when you see 100%. Then he does it all over again. Amazing. Someone else will have to answer your dry ice question. dry ice floats
    have to answ
    Theres a little pink bunny beating on a big bass drum. The faster he beats the more electricity your battery puts out. When he gets tired you plug your phone up so he can rest. You know he's well rested when you see 100%. Then he does it all over again. Amazing.

Amazing times we live in with miniature pink robot bunnies keeping our phones running! Wish my eyes were smaller so I could see inside of the battery and say "HI BUNNAY! THANKYOU!" :)

Someone else will have to answer your dry ice question. dry ice floats

It floats?! Are you thinking what I'm thinking? If we strap some ice to our phone and hold on tight we can float up to the cottoncandy clouds and eat all we want! Yum
    Is there a way to mute/remove the freaking annoying chime/bell sound that the dialer makes when connecting the the line when dialing a number ?
    open dialer, hit menu, settings/call alert/call status tones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Hi.

What do batteries run on?

Also, if I melt some dry ice, can I liquid cool my phone without it getting wet?