Eclipse DDMS keeps crashing ADB

Search This thread

PMTheQuick

Jul 22, 2010
Hello

I'm trying to continue developing Android Apps for my new HTC Desire HD. But it doesn't work - I flashed capychimp's RCMixHD v5.9.7 (Android 2.3.3) on it - And ADB just doesn't work. I even tryed to replace under the device manager the phone driver. (Normally it is My HTC, now it is ADB Composite Interface) - But no success at all. I can call "adb devices" in a prompt, i can push & pull files, and i can shell into it without any problems. But when i'm starting Eclipse, this appears:

Code:
[2011-04-26 17:13:26 - DeviceMonitor]Adb connection Error:Eine vorhandene Verbindung wurde vom Remotehost geschlossen
[2011-04-26 17:13:27 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 1
[2011-04-26 17:13:29 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 2
[2011-04-26 17:13:31 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 3
[2011-04-26 17:13:33 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 4
[2011-04-26 17:13:35 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 5
[2011-04-26 17:13:37 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 6
[2011-04-26 17:13:39 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 7
[2011-04-26 17:13:41 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 8
[2011-04-26 17:13:43 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 9
[2011-04-26 17:13:45 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 10
[2011-04-26 17:13:47 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 11
[2011-04-26 17:13:53 - adb]
[2011-04-26 17:13:53 - adb]This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
[2011-04-26 17:13:53 - adb]Please contact the application's support team for more information.
[2011-04-26 17:13:56 - DeviceMonitor]Adb connection Error:Eine vorhandene Verbindung wurde vom Remotehost geschlossen
[2011-04-26 17:13:57 - DeviceMonitor]Connection attempts: 1

Little notice: "Eine vorhandene Verbindung wurde vom Remotehost geschlossen" means "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host"

And so on. I tried reboots, i tried "adb kill-server", i tried to kill adb.exe - But nothing works. Now i searched around in this community and i found a few threads, one from LeeDroid. (Not my Kernel but still the same problem) He said, you should disable persistence in default.prop. But i've got almost no knowledge about these things. Can anybody help me here?

Greetings
PMTheQuick

Btw: Sorry for my not so good english ;)

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hi,

To disable persistence in default.prop is quite simple.

Easiest method, using Root Explorer or similar root file manager open and edit default.prop in the root of your handset - /

This file should contain something similar to this.

Code:
#
# ADDITIONAL_DEFAULT_PROPERTIES
#
ro.secure=0
ro.allow.mock.locations=1
ro.debuggable=1
[B]persist.service.adb.enable=1[/B]

Simply change the 1 to 0

Less easy method

Use adb to pull the file, modify on your computer and adb push the modified default.prop back.

Whichever method you choose, just reboot once your done.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMTheQuick

PMTheQuick

Jul 22, 2010
Hi

Wow. It works now perfectly. That file wasn't even here, so i just created it and pushed it over ADB. And tada - Now eclipse works. capychimps's ROM should include this at default i think, or are there any disadvantages when you've enabled persistent ADB? And what does this option exactly?

Greetings
PMTheQuick

EDIT: Okay... It worked for about 5 minutes, now it doesn't work again... Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
To be honest, I'm not sure what persistent adb does. It's always been enabled on my handset and I've not noticed any adverse effects.

Glad you got it sorted.

EDIT: Try changing the setting from
Code:
to
Code:
[B]persist.service.adb.enable=0[/B]

PMTheQuick

Jul 22, 2010
To be honest, I'm not sure what persistent adb does. It's always been enabled on my handset and I've not noticed any adverse effects.

Glad you got it sorted.

EDIT: Try changing the setting from
Code:
to
Code:
[B]persist.service.adb.enable=0[/B]

Tried also, but didn't work. Bad thing :( I tried to do it on my Mac right now, and there it works perfectly with Eclipse... Seems to be something with the Windows version of eclipse, its occuring since Gingerbread. With 2.2 it worked without any problems... Maybe someone other got some hint, how i can fix that. But thanks for your help!

Greetings
PMTheQuick

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Is your Android SDK on your windows machine upto date?

EDIT: If you still can't get it working send a PM to jkoljo. He's a wizard and will most likely know the answer.

Last edited:

PMTheQuick

Jul 22, 2010
Is your Android SDK on your windows machine upto date?

Yes. Newest ADT, newest Eclipse, newest SDK. Target 2.3.3, like on my mobile phone. How i said, i can do "adb devices", "adb shell", "adb push", "adb pull" in a command prompt. But when i start Eclipse, the Device view of Eclipse shows for 1 second my device. After that second, adb crashes. (Even no processs in taskmanager...) Then there are 11 unsuccessfull connection attempts, and after that ADB gets started again. Then i see my device for around 1 second. After...

Greetings
PMTheQuick

Andy

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 21, 2008
UK
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Are you able to run logcat via terminal emulator while opening Eclipse, maybe that will highlight the issue.

Run this from terminal emulator

Code:
su
logcat > /sdcard/logcat.txt

Once adb has crashed, stop the terminal and check your log.

PMTheQuick

Jul 22, 2010
Are you able to run logcat via terminal emulator while opening Eclipse, maybe that will highlight the issue.

Run this from terminal emulator

Code:
su
logcat > /sdcard/logcat.txt

Once adb has crashed, stop the terminal and check your log.

Did it. Heres the logcat output: http://pastebin.com/ECJvHLDg ( Sorry it was too long that post ;) )
I can't get any useful data out of that, but maybe someone else.

Greetings
PMTheQuick

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

To disable persistence in default.prop is quite simple.

Easiest method, using Root Explorer or similar root file manager open and edit default.prop in the root of your handset - /

This file should contain something similar to this.

Code:
    #
    # ADDITIONAL_DEFAULT_PROPERTIES
    #
    ro.secure=0
    ro.allow.mock.locations=1
    ro.debuggable=1

Simply change the 1 to 0

Less easy method

Use adb to pull the file, modify on your computer and adb push the modified default.prop back.

Whichever method you choose, just reboot once your done.