[Jailbreak][Root][Recovery] Back Atcha Verizon-- update 17MAR13:Windows/Linux

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Complete noob here. Trying to get ready, so I installed Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit. Installed Oracle Java 7.11. Installed ADT bundle.

When I tried to install the ia32-libs, I get the following

xxxx@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
[sudo] password for xxxx:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

What do I do from here? Thank you.

try
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
first

randy6675

Dec 30, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
try
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
first

I had already tried that, without success. In doing a google search, it looked as though this is a common problem with the 64 bit 12.10. The solution I found, which seems to work is:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update

Then I could install ia32-libs per your original instructions.

Thanks for all your work.

Last edited:

E30Nova

Oct 31, 2010
San Bernardino
Just got my replacement Note 2 (cracked the screen on my original). I got the original a couple weeks ago and used Casual and Odin to root and unlock painlessly. This time it's giving me trouble.

It took a few tries for Casual to actually get my phone into download mode. Finally got it and used Odin to flash the baseline, it said everything went fine. So I proceeded to flash backatcha. It just gets to "NAND Write Start!!" and sits there. I saw someone else had this problem and Adam said to start over. So I did.

I reflashed the baseline and I guess it saw it was flashed because it just kind of skipped it and said "ok". Now I'm back to the backatcha part and it just won't go past "NAND Write Start!!"

I've tried hitting volume down to restart the phone and it just sits there saying "Galaxy Note II".

Help?

EDIT: Currently downloading the stock image from here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2040264

Hopefully flashing that with Odin will fix everything and I can start over. I just wish there was a faster way.

Aaaaand, it lives! I guess I'll try again. When I first got the phone it was on the VRALJB firmware and I got a notice that there was an OTA update. Should I update to VRALL4 before trying to root/unlock?

Ok, well I did the OTA update. Got everything to go semi-smoothly. Except Casual says if you saw TWRP recovery, everything went well. But I didn't. And when I just tried booting into recovery I basically had download mode. Volume up would let me install custom stuff and volume down would restart the phone.

So do I have to do it all again or what? What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

jsadler09

Jan 1, 2012
Just got my replacement Note 2 (cracked the screen on my original). I got the original a couple weeks ago and used Casual and Odin to root and unlock painlessly. This time it's giving me trouble.

It took a few tries for Casual to actually get my phone into download mode. Finally got it and used Odin to flash the baseline, it said everything went fine. So I proceeded to flash backatcha. It just gets to "NAND Write Start!!" and sits there. I saw someone else had this problem and Adam said to start over. So I did.

I reflashed the baseline and I guess it saw it was flashed because it just kind of skipped it and said "ok". Now I'm back to the backatcha part and it just won't go past "NAND Write Start!!"

I've tried hitting volume down to restart the phone and it just sits there saying "Galaxy Note II".

Help?

Hopefully flashing that with Odin will fix everything and I can start over. I just wish there was a faster way.

Aaaaand, it lives! I guess I'll try again. When I first got the phone it was on the VRALJB firmware and I got a notice that there was an OTA update. Should I update to VRALL4 before trying to root/unlock?

Ok, well I did the OTA update. Got everything to go semi-smoothly. Except Casual says if you saw TWRP recovery, everything went well. But I didn't. And when I just tried booting into recovery I basically had download mode. Volume up would let me install custom stuff and volume down would restart the phone.

It sounds like you're booting into download mode. Hold Vol Up + Menu + Power on boot to boot into Recovery.

Reactions: E30Nova

CheeseMcGee

Jul 28, 2009
Sarasota
THANK YOU, that could not have been more simple. I was psyching myself out and breaking out in cold sweats during the process... all for naught. Donation incoming! :good:

Reactions: hopesrequiem

moelov

Dec 16, 2010
Very NOOB

Guys I really need help I've root my Verizon Wireless Galaxy note 2 with Oden3 vs 307 and root66_VZW_stock_system.tar.md5 via bootloader. That workout just fine I no problems to report. However I trying to unlock the bootloader with Oden3 vs 307 with sch-i605-16gb.pit and BootloaderBaseline2.tar.md5 which failed my computer is a laptop running win 8 / when I try to use casual I keep getting the error message that i'm a Noob. I don't know what i'm doing wrong, how can I correct my errors and fully enjoy my phone with custom roms like you guy... Please Help!

JCKennedy

Jan 27, 2013
After I flash the BAV Baseline and wait for the phone to completly restart I hit continue on Casual. Then for some reason it takes me to the stock bootloader. This happens every time and I'm sure that this is my problem. Any suggestions?

Yep. You need to flash the Back Atcha Verizon bootloader package.

Okay so I figured it out. My problem was that I was getting stuck on the NAND write spot and my second problem was that Casual would not reboot my phone into download mode after the first flash. Here's what fixed my problems. First I had to re-flash a copy of root66. I was running Version 2 of Root66 and I saw someone mention on here to try a different version. Sweet! My next problem was Casual would not reboot into download mode after the flash of the Baseline file. It turns out I was hitting continue on Casual too early. You MUST wait until SCH-I605 shows up in your My Computer window. Running windows 7. Thank you Adam!

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012
Re: Jailbreak / Root / TWRP Recovery -- Even after update [26JAN13]

Why would you say that? This works great on 90% of the systems. The only people here are those who cant figure it out. Its designed in a way that cant damage the system either. Why would you even suggest that? its like 4 people having problems and writing a book about it. You'll notice most of the problems have been edited at one point or another with "I figured it out"

Fair enough. I just liked how you locked your s3 unlock thread, basically forcing people to read the OP :) seemed to work ok...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dja2k

Nov 16, 2008
Texas
I previously had an unlocked bootloader and rooted on I605VRALJB Rom and then flashed the Stock Rooted I605VRALL4 ROM to update. I see this new bootloader unlocker says I have to be stock, probably flash "[ODIN][VRALJB] Restore to Stock" if I need to. I barely saw this thread and I am not sure if need this update maybe not now but for future purposes.

dja2k

Last edited:

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida

Help?

You're not running CASUAL. You have to start the process with the device in ADB mode, in the normal OS. Then allow CASUAL to reboot into download mode. It will give you instructions as to what to flash and when.

Guys I really need help I've root my Verizon Wireless Galaxy note 2 with Oden3 vs 307 and root66_VZW_stock_system.tar.md5 via bootloader. That workout just fine I no problems to report. However I trying to unlock the bootloader with Oden3 vs 307 with sch-i605-16gb.pit and BootloaderBaseline2.tar.md5 which failed my computer is a laptop running win 8 / when I try to use casual I keep getting the error message that i'm a Noob. I don't know what i'm doing wrong, how can I correct my errors and fully enjoy my phone with custom roms like you guy... Please Help!
don't flash the pit. you need the specified BAVBaseline.tar.md5.gz. Please read the instructions

I previously had an unlocked bootloader and rooted on I605VRALJB Rom and then flashed the Stock Rooted I605VRALL4 ROM to update. I see this new bootloader unlocker says I have to be stock, probably flash "[ODIN][VRALJB] Restore to Stock" if I need to. I barely saw this thread and I am not sure if need this update maybe not now but for future purposes.

dja2k

Don't do this if you're already unlocked. only if you need to unlock again.

Reactions: dja2k

adlerrot

Jun 3, 2009
Bricked Verizon note 2 by stopping install in the middle (dumb). Restored to factory using odin. Installed Verizon OTA update vrall4. Used Adam's new exploit for rooting and unlocking (backatchaverizon) and I am now up and running rooted and unlocked with Verizon update. Thanks Adam and all the XDA developers.
Tegards
Adlerrot
PS. It really only works if you follow the instructions!!!!! <grin>

roblikeschocolatecake

Jul 21, 2010
Lorain, Ohio
Re: Jailbreak(bootloader unlock) / Root / TWRP Recovery -- Even after update [26JAN13

I'm a little confused, sorry. Is this method to be done before or after updating? I have yet to update and am wanting to get a custom com. Preferably Beans Rom. I was looking into rooting this phone and ended up in this thread.

gswarriorfan

Dec 3, 2009
I am trying to root my phone using Ubuntu 12.10 livecd since I am on a mac. I installed java and ran the CASUAL .jar file and it errors out. Do I need to install anything besides java to get this to work?

Dentabyte

Sep 13, 2010
verizon note 2 ota update fails

I previously followed your bootloader unlock instructions and got my phone rooted and the bootloader unlocked. I saw in the forum that you can now unlock the bootloader even with the update. However when I try to run the Verizon update it says update failed. Please advise. Thanks

princehtml

Jan 20, 2013
HA! The irony

Thank you XDA for the posts. I avoided that Verizon updates for almost a month. Somehow it went through. Right after downloading ClockworkMod Recovery, BAM! Bricked! And, then I see this article a hour or two later. The irony! HA!

larry_thagr81

Dec 30, 2012
I previously followed your bootloader unlock instructions and got my phone rooted and the bootloader unlocked. I saw in the forum that you can now unlock the bootloader even with the update. However when I try to run the Verizon update it says update failed. Please advise. Thanks

After the update, the old method of rooting and unlocking the boot loader was no longer valid. So all the OP is saying is that if you've accepted and installed the update, the new method for rooting and unlocking the boot loader will work with the most recent firmware update.

Why would you want to accept the update? It will unroot and relock you boot loader.

E30Nova

Oct 31, 2010
San Bernardino
You're not running CASUAL. You have to start the process with the device in ADB mode, in the normal OS. Then allow CASUAL to reboot into download mode. It will give you instructions as to what to flash and when.

I think I was just rushing through it. With the old version of CASUAL and the VRALJB firmware, it pretty much told you when to use Odin. With this latest CASUAL, there's always a little error/notification window that pops up, covering the main window. So I basically went slow as molasses and every time that little notification popped up, I dragged it out of the way to see what the main CASUAL window said. Then I was able to see that it wanted me to go to Odin and flash the baseline, so I did that and waited for Odin to say it passed, then went back to CASUAL and hit continue. Did the same thing for backatcha and it worked this time.

Thanks!!

I'm a little confused, sorry. Is this method to be done before or after updating? I have yet to update and am wanting to get a custom com. Preferably Beans Rom. I was looking into rooting this phone and ended up in this thread.

After. I had problems trying to do it before accepting the OTA. Go ahead and do the update and then do this. Do what I said above and take it slow. If you go too fast, I think CASUAL doesn't register that you're doing the steps in the right order or something. I'm currently on Beans 7. :laugh:

Dentabyte

Sep 13, 2010
verizon note 2 ota update fails

After the update, the old method of rooting and unlocking the boot loader was no longer valid. So all the OP is saying is that if you've accepted and installed the update, the new method for rooting and unlocking the boot loader will work with the most recent firmware update.

Why would you want to accept the update? It will unroot and relock you boot loader.

I thought if a new bootloader unlock was available I would take the update. The reason is that Verizon may write the new Jelly Bean update to look for this update. Just thought I'd cover my bases.

Acery

Jan 28, 2013
I thought if a new bootloader unlock was available I would take the update. The reason is that Verizon may write the new Jelly Bean update to look for this update. Just thought I'd cover my bases.
If a new JB update hits, I'm sure we'll have access to it before Verizon actually pushes it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: new version available here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2272066.

FIRST!!! First jailbreak under the new 2012 DMCA Excemption that is. First "Android Jailbreak" ever... Gah that name erks me... Anyway, You’re here to legally Jailbreak your Verizon Galaxy Note 2.

Introduction
    CASUAL will guide you through the process. Put your device into “Developer Mode>USB Debugging”. Click the do it button. This is not only the first release of this new Exploit, but it’s also a beta-test of CASUAL. I expect problems... however this will be addressed with updates. See the About CASUAL section below.

We decided to start a new thread becasue the old unlock method is tried and true on Windows with VRALJB. This method is based on a totally new exploit.

Overview
    You are expected to be STOCK.... Stock anything, but stock. This will install a stock kernel and that may affect non-stock roms. You will need to download and execute the CASUAL application below. Then click the Do It! button. You need Java. Do you have Java?.

Windows 32/64 Users: CASUAL will put your device into Download Mode. It will automatically flash everything. If drivers are required, jrloper's CADI (CASUAL Automated Driver installer) will handle it. If Microsoft VC Redistributable is required, click next, next, next. Make sure you're connected to the internet.

Linux 32/64/raspberry pi Users There may be a permission escalation in order to install heimdall, either way sit back and relax. CASUAL automates the entire process.
    Please run the following in a terminal first:

Mac Users: Mac works easierr than any other system at the time of this release on 32bit systems. Please report problems.

Download
    CASUAL(R465b) Back Atcha Verizon CASUAL is used to automate the process. The exploit was developed by Elite Recognized Developer Ralekdev and packaged by AdamOutler. To run CASUAL you need Java. Do you have Java?

Jailbreak video for Windows users only!
    This video desmonstrates CASUAL used with Odin to flash the Galaxy Note 2 firmware Thanks to DroidModderX.

Jailbreak video for LINUX only!
    This video demonstrates the one-click CASUAL Linux Unlock method... at 2AM.. so don't expect me to be cheerful.

About CASUAL
    CASUAL stands for Cross-platform ADB Scripting, Univeral Android Loader. CASUAL jar files are a wrapper for the CASUAL scripting language. CASUAL allows rapid and accurate deployment of hacks and exploits. At any time, if a serious problem is detected with any script, the kill-switch will be flipped and you will be brought to a support page (most likely here) so you can download the latest version. Otherwise for minor corrections, new CASUAL scripts can be deployed remotely.

Updates
    CASUAL provides updates WAAAAY quicker than Verizon. As soon as I push an update to the Subversion repo it appears automatically in EVERY casual. See below for the change log.
    25JAN13: Initial release.
    25JAN13: put your device into download mode automatically on Windows. Windows users, let me know if this is annoying. -auto CASUAL update
    26JAN13: Instruct Windows users to install the proper bootloader -- auto CASUAL update
    26JAN13: more concise directions --auto CASUAL update
    7MAR13: Initiated beta test of one-click operation on all platforms!
    17MAR13: Cross-platform Heimdall is now in effect with CASUAL R311b
    20MAR13: Removed mac blocker from script --auto CASUAL update.
    6APR13: kill-switch activated as most of repository has been restructured and drivers/dependencies will not be deployed. This will be resolved soon with a new version.
    7APR13: New version includes better driver support via jrloper's CADI and on-the-fly updates for drivers and more. 32/64bit Heimdall for Mac is now supported. Several irrelevant command line features were added as well.
    18APR13: CASUAL R417 Several fixes with improved logging and pastebin support thanks to jrloper
    2May13: killswitch for old versions implemented.
    Ironically I probably wouldn't have noticed the hole used this time had they not added the blacklisting of the old versions. Looking at the code for that gave me a push in the right direction
    Troubleshooting
    70% of problems with CASUAL involve USB cables and USB ports. All other problems can be tracked back to Windows XP.

CASUAL Stops and my phone is in Odin Mode/Download Mode
    Use a different USB cable and a different USB port. Personally, I have two USB cables which work for everything and anything but they fail when it comes to Odin/Download Mode.

CASUAL displays Disconnected and won't let me press the button
    Put your device into ADB mode. Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging

CASUAL is not working and it's not something above
    Did you install drivers? If you installed drivers, you need to uninstall and delete them. You don't need them because Windows installs them. Actually, they're poisonous, and some drivers install themselves with a future date which causes them to be un-upgradable. This means, you've shot yourself in the foot. You can run Samsung Kies and do the troubleshoot connection wizard, or you can go to device manager and uninstall the driver + delete driver.

CASUAL is not working and I'm absolutely sure it's not a driver issue
    1. Let everything sit for a bit. CASUAL will generally pop up a troubleshooting message.
    2. If you're sure nothing has happened for the last 3 minutes, disconnect the USB and restart the device normally.
    3. Restart your computer
    4. Try again using a new stock USB cable, on a different USB port, preferably located in the back of the computer.

I just want to annoy you
    First grab a hammer and go outside into the back yard and hit yourself repeatedly in the head. If you do not have a hammer, borrow one from your neighbor. If you don't have a yard, borrow one from your neighbor. If you don't have a head, mission accomplished.
    You probly caught it in the middle of a commit. try this: http://d-h.st/6c6

This is CASUAL Revision 311. This includes quicker startup, a full Open Source stack of software, no Odin, auto-downloads, auto-executes, and it works on Windows and Linux. For Windows you have Drivers and MSRedist (both installed by CASUAL), this is a one-click procedure. We are working on making it easier by the day and expect the next release to be even easier. For now, the driver requires you to select "Gadget Serial" and hit install.

I will bump this up to the first thread now because I've already tested on Window and Linux. Droid Modder X said he would have a video out soon.
    there no way to unlock boot loader on odin another way ?
    Please stand by. I expect to have everything working again today. The purpose of the down-time is to ensure there will be no Downtime in the future. I'm working on it now...

Basically, its down because jrloper and myself are reworking and upgrading. the CASUAL repository system. It will soon be infinitely expandable and able to pull resources from anywhere.

An unfortunate side-effect of this is Quality Control takes a bit of time.. as we test, its getting better, faster, accommodating for more errors, performing more troubleshooting, becoming safer and even accounting for errors in data transfer across the internet.

Its almost ready.