[Q] HELP - I have a messed Up Galaxy Note SGH-i717

Search This thread
Mar 16, 2014
Florida
LG V60 ThinQ
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently bought used i717 on Ebay. It is supposed to be unlocked but have not been able to confirm as the standard code does not work. Have not been able to root as superoneclick does not work. Finally got it to connect to Kies but Kies states latest ROM is installed.

When I go to Settings >>> About Phone - Model Number is Samsung SGH-i717, Android Version 2.3.6, Baseband Version T989UVKL1, Kernel version 2.6.35.11, Build number Gingerbread.UCLA1

When I boot up the ATT logo stuff is displayed and there was a bunch of ATT bloatware apps installed, most of which I deleted as I do not use ATT

Don't remember where I was but on one web site about upgrading stated that baseband version should be I717UCLA1, I717UCLF6, or I717UCMB4 before updatingand that It will be I717UCMD3 after the update.

I have discovered that the Baseband Version T989UVKL1 is for an SGH-T989, T-Mobile Samsung Galasy S II, which is probably the reason it won't update through Kies.

I want to upgrade to Jelly Bean 4.1.2.

Have considered Cyangenomod but afraid that with the non-ATT baseband I might brick it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am new to this and it has been very confusing so far.

Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
Look behind the battery and write down the serial number.

Put phone into download mode. Hold volume down and press power. Once you see download screen let go of volume down button.

Plug into pc

Open kies and click "tools - firmware upgrade and initialization".

Type in model number using ALL CAPS, then serial number.

Let it do it's thing.

You will be on the latest stock firmware.

Mar 16, 2014
Florida
LG V60 ThinQ

Put phone into download mode. Hold volume down and press power. Once you see download screen let go of volume down button.

Plug into pc

Let it do it's thing.

Have not had any luck with Kies. Phone connects to Kies but will not process the upgrade. Says phone is already at hightest level (not exact wording but I think you can get the picture). Why would Kies work in download mode?

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
Have not had any luck with Kies. Phone connects to Kies but will not process the upgrade. Says phone is already at hightest level (not exact wording but I think you can get the picture). Why would Kies work in download mode?

Because in download mode it just see's it as it's device name and serial number. Not what's installed on it.

Reactions: rick2210@gmail.com
Mar 16, 2014
Florida
LG V60 ThinQ
Because in download mode it just see's it as it's device name and serial number. Not what's installed on it.

The recovery worked. My phone is now at 4.1.2 and seemed to be working, at least for a while. Does doing this recovery lock evrything back up? Reason I ask is now when I boot up the phone it will only go to the Emergency Call screen. Have contacted my cell phone service to see if they are having any problems.

I am using a service called PureTalkUSA which uses the ATT network. Not sure if the phone has to be unlocked or not.

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
The recovery worked. My phone is now at 4.1.2 and seemed to be working, at least for a while. Does doing this recovery lock evrything back up? Reason I ask is now when I boot up the phone it will only go to the Emergency Call screen. Have contacted my cell phone service to see if they are having any problems.

I am using a service called PureTalkUSA which uses the ATT network. Not sure if the phone has to be unlocked or not.

Once a phone is unlocked, it will never be locked. I would think if it uses an att service it wouldn't need unlocked. Find out what the apn settings are for puretalk and verify that's what you have on the phone. You might have to input them yourself.

Mar 16, 2014
Florida
LG V60 ThinQ
NOW I AM REALLY EMBARASSED. IT SEEMS I ENTERED A LOCK CODE AND DID NOT REMEMBER THAT i HAD DONE SO. EVERYTHING SEEMS BACK TO NORMAL AND I GOT THE APN INFO ENTERED.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. THE INFO ON HOW TO DO THE EMERGENCY RECOVERY WAS VERY HELPFUL.

Last edited:

stimmyvz

Apr 1, 2014
Brilliant

Plug into pc

Let it do it's thing.

Man if this works you are the man. How long is this supposed to take, like an 10 min or 10 hours? Im currently looking at KIES that is darkend gray. Normal?
At any rate, for this simple advice you get

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
Man if this works you are the man. How long is this supposed to take, like an 10 min or 10 hours? Im currently looking at KIES that is darkend gray. Normal?
At any rate, for this simple advice you get

It depends on your computer performance, and internet connection speed. It has to download the latest firmware from the net. Then it has to install it. First time it could take up to an hour. The second time could take 20 minutes because the firmware will be downloaded from the first time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Plug into pc

Let it do it's thing.