(MOD) how to add more rows of tiles on surface

Search This thread

tamarasu

Dec 13, 2009
guys and gals,

I have been searching for multiple days on a way to increase the number of rows that surface supports for metro apps. see below for the reg tweak:

1. open notepad
2. post following line:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling]

"MonitorSize"="12.1"

3. save as a .reg file
4. import into regedit
5. restart surface
6. enabled will be 4 rows and 9 rows in portrait when you go: settings: tiles: show more tiles

hope you all enjoy

edit: changed to 12.1 as you still get the 4 rows but the keyboard is bigger. any input is appreciated.

Last edited:

wardo5757

Mar 29, 2010
You must do the following to get 9 tiles in portrait mode.
Hold surface in portrait mode
Swipe for charms
Select settings charm
Select tiles
Turn on option for show more tiles. This option only appears in portrait mode.

Yep, that was it! Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Works great, I like it!

dagrim1

Sep 1, 2008
This actually also works on Windows8 x64 (in my case with my asus x202e laptop... A 11.6" laptop at 1366x768 but now with 4 rows instead of 3, awesome! Cheers :)

THEBIG360

Jan 10, 2009
It will not work for me??

I just pasted the texted as shown in the OP and then imported to registry. However I only get 7 and 3 tiles. Am I doing something wrong.

Last edited:

UBNAS81

Jul 11, 2012
I have the option in portrait mode, but landscape is still 3 tiles, and no option to add tiles. Any suggestions?

Also, I opened regedit, and inported the file - where did it go, how do I find it to delete it if I wanted to.

THANKS

illidanx

Jan 3, 2013
I have the option in portrait mode, but landscape is still 3 tiles, and no option to add tiles. Any suggestions?

Also, I opened regedit, and inported the file - where did it go, how do I find it to delete it if I wanted to.

THANKS
Well, it goes to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Scaling". Just expand the tree nodes accordingly until you find it.

baritoneguy

Aug 11, 2011
guys and gals,

I have been searching for multiple days on a way to increase the number of rows that surface supports for metro apps. see below for the reg tweak:

1. open notepad
2. post following line:

"MonitorSize"="12.1"

3. save as a .reg file
4. import into regedit
5. restart surface
6. enabled will be 4 rows and 9 rows in portrait when you go: settings: tiles: show more tiles

hope you all enjoy

edit: changed to 12.1 as you still get the 4 rows but the keyboard is bigger. any input is appreciated.

Thanks very much for this. It works great. Much appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    guys and gals,

1. open notepad
    2. post following line:

"MonitorSize"="12.1"

3. save as a .reg file
    4. import into regedit
    5. restart surface

hope you all enjoy

Worked perfectly, thanks! Even made the keyboard smaller & desktop. Makes it seem like a higher resolution screen :)

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/EVF6l.png
    this is just round 1 in the tweak. researching keyboard size now....

It also shrinks the virtual keyboard down to an unusable size.
    posted a slight change that should help. tested it on mine and the keyboard is more usable
    yes to revert simply delete the entry.

Do we just delete this entry to revert?