SuperSU flashed but "There is no su binary installed"

Search This thread

MajorPain931

Aug 28, 2014
Hey everyone,
I know there are some topics about this error but in my case it's different.

SuperSU has always been working until now, I flashed it on my OnePlus One from the beginning on with TWRP.
But now it suddenly stopped working, I don't know why. I didn't update anything I just tried to activate ART that day, rebooted, but it didn't apply, so I just stopped trying. But it can be that it stopped working before, I dont know when exactly..

I already tried:
Reflashing it over TWRP (No errors reported, just seems to install fine but still not working)
Wiping Cache and Dalvik (It's regenerated at start so Dalvik seems to work fine)

I checked it with Root Checker, it says that the are no binaries installed.

My device:
OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black
Cyanogenmod 11S XNPH33R
TWRP Recovery

MajorPain931

Aug 28, 2014
Hm. I've always thought the supersu zip I'm flashing integrates the root binary? Otherwise I don't know a different way. That's also the way described by the official OnePlus One dev team

Sent from my OnePlus One

MajorPain931

Aug 28, 2014
Wow. Okay.

I managed to solve it, I flashed the last OTA again, then TWRP asked if I want to reroot (What I btw. did thousands of times via TWRP before) but this time it did work since the system was fresh and unrooted again.

Thanks anyway.

EDIT: NOT WORKING! I just thought it would work because I had to install superSU but after it was installed again I got same error again...

Last edited:

wilriker

Feb 26, 2008
I have the same problem on my OnePlus One (identical config as OP) - suddenly yesterday my root stopped working. I can see in the FS that
Code:
/system/xbin/su (rwsr-sr-x)
exists but SuperSU states it cannot find it.

I can also run su in Terminal Emulator but it doesn't seem to do anything special.

I also reflashed supersu.zip several times, removed everything related to SuperSU via TWRP and reflashed supersu.zip but it did not change anything.

SOLVED: I could solve it on my device by enabling CM's root-access in developer tools - when enabled SuperSU works as expected, turning it off, it does no longer find the su binary. It gives me a useless extra entry in the settings menu but who cares as long as it works again?! :D

Last edited:

Rosteox

Oct 15, 2014
I have the same problem on my OnePlus One (identical config as OP) - suddenly yesterday my root stopped working. I can see in the FS that
Code:
/system/xbin/su (rwsr-sr-x)
exists but SuperSU states it cannot find it.

I can also run su in Terminal Emulator but it doesn't seem to do anything special.

I also reflashed supersu.zip several times, removed everything related to SuperSU via TWRP and reflashed supersu.zip but it did not change anything.

SOLVED: I could solve it on my device by enabling CM's root-access in developer tools - when enabled SuperSU works as expected, turning it off, it does no longer find the su binary. It gives me a useless extra entry in the settings menu but who cares as long as it works again?! :D

I have the same problem as OP and you. Where exactly can I enable "CM's root-access in developer tools"? (I guess you mean options) I can't find it.

Edit: I forgot to disable "Update CM recovery" when I had root.

Last edited:

wilriker

Feb 26, 2008
I have the same problem as OP and you. Where exactly can I enable "CM's root-access in developer tools"? (I guess you mean options) I can't find it.

Code:
Settings
-> About phone
-> Tap "Build number" 7 times to enable Developer options (if not done already)
-> Tap Back button
-> Developer options
-> Root access (8th entry from the top on mine)
-> Swtich to whatever you like except Disabled (I chose Apps only)

BUT: This seems only be a workaround. Because I was annoyed of this "solution" I did a factory reset - and the issue persisted. I had to reflash the /system partition to get this fixed - and it is fixed since.

The issue started for me when I was playing around with quick settings. I was adding and removing LTE and network mode tile and suddenly I had two tiles showing both LTE and I was unable to readd network mode - something was broken really badly but I have no clue what.

Rosteox

Oct 15, 2014
Code:
Settings
-> About phone
-> Tap "Build number" 7 times to enable Developer options (if not done already)
-> Tap Back button
-> Developer options
-> Root access (8th entry from the top on mine)
-> Swtich to whatever you like except Disabled (I chose Apps only)

BUT: This seems only be a workaround. Because I was annoyed of this "solution" I did a factory reset - and the issue persisted. I had to reflash the /system partition to get this fixed - and it is fixed since.

The issue started for me when I was playing around with quick settings. I was adding and removing LTE and network mode tile and suddenly I had two tiles showing both LTE and I was unable to readd network mode - something was broken really badly but I have no clue what.

Thanks for this quick answer. The 8th entry in "Developer options" is "Enable QuickBoot mode" on my device. But since this method is only a workaround, I would like to reflash /system. The problem is that I don't really know what to do to accomplish that. Can I simply follow this guide: wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_bacon#Installing_CyanogenMod_from_recovery to reflash /system or what do I have to do? Sorry, but I am new to Android/CM.

wilriker

Feb 26, 2008
Thanks for this quick answer. The 8th entry in "Developer options" is "Enable QuickBoot mode" on my device. But since this method is only a workaround, I would like to reflash /system. The problem is that I don't really know what to do to accomplish that. Can I simply follow this guide: wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_bacon#Installing_CyanogenMod_from_recovery to reflash /system or what do I have to do? Sorry, but I am new to Android/CM.

I did it the following way:
  1. Get the suitable package for your device from http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-return-opo-to-100-stock-t2826541
  2. Unpack it to a location of your choice
  3. Copy cm-11.0-XNPH38R-bacon-signed-fastboot.zip to update.zip and open update.zip in e.g. 7-zip
  4. Remove everything except system.img and boot.img (it might be you also need cache.img but I am not sure - maybe you have to redo the previous and this step if the flashing below fails)
  5. Bring your phone into fastboot mode
  6. Run
    Code:
    fastboot update update.zip
    from your command line (assuming you have fastboot in your path)
  7. When finished go back into your custom recovery and re-root

Reactions: Rosteox

Rosteox

Oct 15, 2014
  1. Get the suitable package for your device from http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-return-opo-to-100-stock-t2826541
  3. Copy cm-11.0-XNPH38R-bacon-signed-fastboot.zip to update.zip and open update.zip in e.g. 7-zip
  4. Remove everything except system.img and boot.img (it might be you also need cache.img but I am not sure - maybe you have to redo the previous and this step if the flashing below fails)
  6. Run
    Code:

I zipped with:
Code:
7z a update.zip android-info.txt boot.img system.img
, using this version: cyngn.com/products/oneplusone/ (I also tried the one on xda). I get this error:
Code:
sending 'system' (774540 KB)...
FAILED (remote: data too large)
finished. total time: 0.607s

Edit: Nevermind. I was able to solve it by doing it manually:

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot reboot

One last question: How to get the Superuser by koush working? When I flash it, I don't get root access. Only SuperSU works.. which is quite sad because using a closed source app for root isn't very secure.

Last edited:

wilriker

Feb 26, 2008
I zipped with:
Code:
7z a update.zip android-info.txt boot.img system.img
, using this version: cyngn.com/products/oneplusone/ (I also tried the one on xda). I get this error:
Code:
sending 'system' (774540 KB)...
FAILED (remote: data too large)
finished. total time: 0.607s

Yeah, I had the same issue. Just get the latest fastboot version then it should work.

joacim andersson

Jun 1, 2017
it didnt work for me !!!!
i have s7 edge sm-g935f and i installed bussybox and twrp and then linux... after that the root didnt work ..!! :(
and i get the same message there is no su binary installed !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

6. Run
      Code: