[APP][2.2+]SambaDroid 2.1.0

Search This thread

gsustech

Jun 28, 2007
That was fast.. didn't even see the time passing! :)

Thanks for creating a beta version so quickly. Unfortunately it seems it still has the same problem. When trying to start the app the log is showing the error:

"ERROR: saveOptions: Cannot find a valid Wifi interface"

This error is the only one showing now in the log and it is repeated every time I try to start the sharing service using the Start option on top.

I don't know if this helps in this situation:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5980826/get-wifi-interface-name-on-android

Thanks a lot!
Jon.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

andrewilley

Mar 17, 2006
Birmingham
On the new beta, I now see the Netbios name in my Windows 7 Network.

However I still can't log on, I get a permission denied message whatever I do (with or without a password set).

Screenshots attached of what I enter, and the result.

Andre

Attachments

• Login.JPG
    Login.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 387
  • LoginError.JPG
    LoginError.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 406

erik501

Aug 12, 2010

However I still can't log on, I get a permission denied message whatever I do (with or without a password set).

Andre

Because you access to telephone and not telephone\sdcard if you access to telephone\sdcard work well ;)

andrewilley

Mar 17, 2006
Birmingham
Because you access to telephone and not telephone\sdcard if you access to telephone\sdcard work well ;)

Sorry, not sure I get you. Are you talking about the Windows device name that I'm connecting from ("DESKTOP" in this case)? If so, I was using the freeform login (i.e. the second section down of the three options in the dialogue box) which should not append any local domain details.

Or are you saying I should be trying to connect to the network address \\GALAXYTABANDRE\sdcard in the first place? (which would seem odd if the simple \\GALAXYTABANDRE format does not work, and that's the standard way to do it)

Andre

erik501

Aug 12, 2010
Sorry, not sure I get you. Are you talking about the Windows device name that I'm connecting from ("DESKTOP" in this case)? If so, I was using the freeform login (i.e. the second section down of the three options in the dialogue box) which should not append any local domain details.

Or are you saying I should be trying to connect to the network address \\GALAXYTABANDRE\sdcard in the first place? (which would seem odd if the simple \\GALAXYTABANDRE format does not work, and that's the standard way to do it)

Andre

Yes use \\GALAXYTABANDRE\sdcard for access, if you use \\GALAXYTABANDRE you don't have access

Better if use the ip address \sdcard from Windows to Android

Last edited:

swayjd

Aug 10, 2011
Dublin
Any chance you can give new versions a number? Just so people know when there is a new version! Thanks a lot for your work, much appreciated!

andrewilley

Mar 17, 2006
Birmingham
Yes use \\GALAXYTABANDRE\sdcard for access, if you use \\GALAXYTABANDRE you don't have access

Better if use the ip address \sdcard from Windows to Android

No, still does not work using netbios name or IP address, with or without \sdcard added. They all bring up a login prompt (which is requested by the android app, as I don't get a login prompt when the app is stopped) but nothing I enter gives me acccess.

Andre

erik501

Aug 12, 2010
For me work,at this time i don't know how to help you.
For username you use root in windows for autentication request?

berserker_devel

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
That was fast.. didn't even see the time passing! :)

Thanks for creating a beta version so quickly. Unfortunately it seems it still has the same problem. When trying to start the app the log is showing the error:

"ERROR: saveOptions: Cannot find a valid Wifi interface"

This error is the only one showing now in the log and it is repeated every time I try to start the sharing service using the Start option on top.

I don't know if this helps in this situation:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5980826/get-wifi-interface-name-on-android

Thanks a lot!
Jon.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Sorry for the delay!
Well now I really don't know what to do...The new beta version already make use of the code in that link (well that's 1 of my 3 methods :D), so our last options are:
  • I write a test application to (I hope) find out more informations of your problem.
  • I give you a little snippet of java code to test (with all my 3 checks, are you a developer?)
  • I force, in case of no "interface" found, the wlan0 as default one (very bad...)
  • I give the user an option to manually write one o more listening interfaces (it could be not so bad...)
I really hope to solve this problem, keep me update :)

Last edited:

berserker_devel

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011

Andre
Please try to insert <YOUR_IP>\root or <YOUR_NETBIOSNAME>\root in the username field ( es.: 192.168.1.100\root )
I see that your are testing the app in a DOMAIN (right?) and that could be the problem.

Any chance you can give new versions a number? Just so people know when there is a new version! Thanks a lot for your work, much appreciated!
Fixed (in the topic title), sry!

What exactly is the problem with transferring large files?
Did you try to copy a file larger than 4gb to/from your device? Please report your results :)

unable to start :( didn't work for me. Jelly bean, CM10,Galaxy tab
Please can you attach:I'll do my best to find what's not working :good:

Last edited:

erik501

Aug 12, 2010
Please try to insert <YOUR_IP>\root or <YOUR_NETBIOSNAME>\root in the username field ( es.: 192.168.1.100\root )
I see that your are testing the app in a DOMAIN (right?) and that could be the problem.

Fixed (in the topic title), sry!

Did you try to copy a file larger than 4gb to/from your device? Please report your results :)

Please can you attach:I'll do my best to find what's not working :good:

for the sd card that uses the filesystem fat there 'limit of 2 GB?

Last edited:

chippyuk

Mar 30, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
I cannot help you with "Tasker" but you can test this functionality by running:
adb shell am broadcast -a berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.START
adb shell am broadcast -a berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.STOP

Can any of you clever chaps out there let me know if there is a way or how I can get Tasker to send the start stop broadcasts as I just cannot get it to work.

Thanks! :)

andrewilley

Mar 17, 2006
Birmingham

Still no joy. Whatever I try, I seem to get a login prompt but nothing I try will authenticate. DESKTOP is my PC's computer name on the network (it's also in a workgroup called NEVERLAND, which I have set in SambaDroid). I've tried usernames with and without domain details, using netbios names and IP addresses for both the tablet and for the PC.

Is there any more info I can provide to help sort this out?

Andre

chippyuk

Mar 30, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Still no joy. Whatever I try, I seem to get a login prompt but nothing I try will authenticate. DESKTOP is my PC's computer name on the network (it's also in a workgroup called NEVERLAND, which I have set in SambaDroid). I've tried usernames with and without domain details, using netbios names and IP addresses for both the tablet and for the PC.

Is there any more info I can provide to help sort this out?

Andre

Could not help but notice you said "usernames" I am sure you know the username is just "root" right? :)

Also, try to disable your firewall and check your antivirus logs to see if that is blocking it.

wavrunrx

Jul 14, 2011
any chance you can do something about the xfer speed ? im getting ~ 1.4 MB/s !

SFTP gives me about 4 O__o

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    25uktoo.jpg

SambaDroid is a native port for Android of the popular Samba for Linux.
    This application allows you to share/manage files on your device easily from any PC of your network.

Once started, just type \\SAMBADROID in your computer, use 'android' as user and enjoy.

Please note that this application requires root

2.1.0 changelog:
    • Optimized layout for tablets
    • Fixed a problem with in-app purchase restore
    • Google Play Services updated
    • Minor UI changes
    2.0.0 changelog:
    • complete UI rewrite!
    • sperimental x86/mips support
    • Samba updated to version 3.6.22
    • android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER permission added
    • fixed the root popup issue
    • Explicit ethernet support
    • new option "Boot autostart"
    • improved users/shares management
    • extended notification support (pro)
    • Widget support (pro)
    1.0.6 changelog:
    • new translations: Chinese, German, Hungarian, Italian, Russian and Spanish
    • new share option "read only" (pro)
    • added WiFi whitelist (pro)
    • fixed the "read only" bug with multiple shares
    • fixed su popup issue
    FAQs:
    • q: Where can I find the modified Samba source code?
      a: Here it is.
    • q: Why my transfer speed decrease when I turn off the screen?
      a: Enable the option 'Lock Wifi'. If your device is running at least Android 2.3.x, you should get full speed transfer even when the screen is off, otherwise enable the option 'Lock screen' too.
    • q: How can I automate the application start/stop?
      a: Use the following broadcast intents:
      • START: berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.START
      • STOP: berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.STOP
      • If you are a Tasker user, please follow these steps (thanks to bcrook)
        1. Create a new Task (eg. Start SambaDroid) in Tasker
        2. Add a new action > Misc > Send Intent
        3. Set the action to berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.START , Cat = None, the rest you can leave as defaults
        4. Save the action and task
        5. Repeat for berserker.android.apps.sambadroid.command.STOP intent
        6. Create a profile to trigger the tasks (or launch w/ NFC or whatever you want)
        You can test the Task by clicking on the Task and clicking the Play icon in the lower right of the popup.

Download from Google Play

Support this project

If you want to translate SambaDroid into a new language:
    • download the attached file translate.zip
    • edit the xml inside the zip (strings.xml) in this way:

Original line:
      <string name="ftp_user_invalid_password">Invalid password</string>
      Translated line:
      <string name="ftp_user_invalid_password">My translation of Invalid password</string>
      Please do not translate anything inside the "name" attribute:
      <string name="do not translate this">
      But only:
      <string name="my_key">Please translate only this part</string>
    • Attach in this topic a modified version of the file or send me a pm with the download link (please remember to indicate the new language!)

I'll be glad for every contribution :)

Available translations:
    Like the good old samba filesharing:)
    I'm on 10-20121106 -NIGHTLY-i9100

speeds creeped from few hunders KB/sec to almost 2MB/sec, tried with 700MB file.
    Missing the second sd card though

If anyone is interested, just to make life easier (ie lazier) added sdcard network location to right click - send to , sending files with 2 clicks to your phone
    Just add the sdcard network location shortcut (or whatever folder shortcut on your sdcard) to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
    shortcut address should be something like \\SAMBADROID\sdcard\whateverfolder
    New beta available!

Changelog 1.0.2:
    • share path is now configurable
    • guests users are now configurable
    • new command to report log files
    • new options "require wifi" (useful if you need to configure the services on other interfaces than wlan)
    • new option "bind interfaces"
    • new option "autostart service"
    • fixed missing codepages in the package dir
    • fixed a possibile bug when the application is restored (thanks to TheMorpheus and Osprey00)
    • reduced package size
    • lots of other stuffs I don't remember

In the first post I attached the code used by SambaDroid to detected the WiFi listening interface (that actually doesn't work on the Galaxy Note 2).
    I need someone that help me in debugging the code :)
    unclesamweneedyou.png

P.S.: please note that the default username has changed in this version to 'android'

You figured out a solution on your own by re-installing it, but if I pointed you in the right direction, you're welcome. Another solution, if Berserker's hunch is right, would've been to change the owner of the "nmbd" folder to "root" via Solid Explorer (on the same page as the "Change" button that I mentioned earlier) or other file manager. Anyways, the problem was even simpler than realized. I take it that you had Android 4.1 (CM10) with SambaDroid installed, backed everything up with Titanium Backup, flashed Android 4.2 (CM10.1), then restored your backup. Like you said, it could be an issue with Titanium Backup not restoring ownership rights or permissions correctly for SambaDroid's folders and files. If so, it doesn't sound like a huge, huge problem, but, maybe, as a workaround for users' sakes, SambaDroid could check for and fix incorrect permissions (or, at least, somehow detect a problem and recommend a re-installation).
    I already implemented a fix for this situation in the 1.0.2 beta :)
    It works if selinux is set to permissive. Tested on CM13 klteduos
    Version 2.0.0 just published on Google Play!

Changelog:
    • complete UI rewrite!
    • sperimental x86/mips support
    • Samba updated to version 3.6.22
    • android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER permission added
    • fixed the root popup issue
    • Explicit ethernet support
    • new option "Boot autostart"
    • improved users/shares management
    • extended notification support (pro)
    • Widget support (pro)