[ROOT, CWM] JXD S18-03-xxxx RK2926 mini pad [Guide]

Search This thread

NiTrOwow

Jul 20, 2010
I wait a new S18, just it's very long to receive it with the cheap post chipping.

I want root it because I hate not have the control :)

This tablet without root is useless in my opnoin. This is meant for modding/hacking and such. Who the heck would buy this device for browsing the internet? I guess people who don't understand that those specs and the price never will be what they think they get :p

Stef20

Oct 7, 2013
Montréal
libre-city.tk
This tablet without root is useless in my opnoin. This is meant for modding/hacking and such. Who the heck would buy this device for browsing the internet? I guess people who don't understand that those specs and the price never will be what they think they get :p
Me I purchased this more for be a very small books reader when I not want have my 7" tablet with me because is to much big for have this always on me. The S18 it's very easy for have it always on the pant's belt. Just for the people have a smartphone I don't understand why purchase a S18, me I don't have one.

NiTrOwow

Jul 20, 2010
Me I purchased this more for be a very small books reader when I not want have my 7" tablet with me because is to much big for have this always on me. The S18 it's very easy for have it always on the pant's belt. Just for the people have a smartphone I don't understand why purchase a S18, me I don't have one.

I have a smartphone, i use it for my outlook&owa, gmail, camera, and to call with it, and sometimes use the browser that's really it.

I purchased my s18 just for fun. More as a small gadget or as MP3 player or for YouTube. But i did not use it for this so i wanted to mod it and make a small shell server from it.
My tablet is Nexus 7 16gb(2012) got it from a friend for 100 euro. But don't use it, i might just sell soon or later.

mechmouse

Dec 30, 2013
Thanks to the OP, While the S18 is suppose to have root as standard, it wasn't working properly.

In spite being a techie I prefer my phones dumb. Mind you our phones are rarely used. £15 top up lasts 3 months.

What I wanted was a PDA, and this little thing fitted the bill.

Tweaked to offer best battery life £30 was a bargin.

Frank Blah

Jan 5, 2014
Otg works with external power

I registered just to tell you that otg works perfectly with power injecting cable. Tested 2 TB NTFS drive and apple usb - Ethernet dongle. Both work well. Also you can use this device as WiFi ap with Ethernet dongle. I am planning to use this as portable server. I just hope somebody gets interested making updated firmware.

NiTrOwow

Jul 20, 2010
Thanks to the OP, While the S18 is suppose to have root as standard, it wasn't working properly.

In spite being a techie I prefer my phones dumb. Mind you our phones are rarely used. £15 top up lasts 3 months.

What I wanted was a PDA, and this little thing fitted the bill.

Tweaked to offer best battery life £30 was a bargin.
Battery is indeed poor. But for the price surly not bad. I was thinking about taking an normal/good htx one x g23 battery take of the protection ic and price the protection ic from the original battery on it because they have the same voltage rating. And this might just make this thing get a amazing battery life. Idk have to test it.

I registered just to tell you that otg works perfectly with power injecting cable. Tested 2 TB NTFS drive and apple usb - Ethernet dongle. Both work well. Also you can use this device as WiFi ap with Ethernet dongle. I am planning to use this as portable server. I just hope somebody gets interested making updated firmware.
Thanks for letting me know. I had no otg cable so i could not test it. But strange because the vendor says it does not support it. What a fail of jxd.

themainc

Jan 31, 2014
404 Error

Hey OP, the link to the root files goes to mega.co.nz and it is just giving a "The file you are trying to download is no longer available" Are you able to fix that?

themainc

Jan 31, 2014
With much excitement.

Ha HAAA!!!!!! SUCCESS! Very much appreciated my good man. I've finally broken Elsa out of her chains. Onward, to FREEDOM!!

(Also, in case the context wasn't clear enough, and because if any of you are like me it'd drive you mad, Elsa is my S18 Tablet)

philenotfound

Feb 11, 2014
Thanks, worked great for my model:

Model: S18-03-201302-4gb-00905
Android version: 4.1.1
Kernel: 3.0.36+ (2 feb. 2013)
Build: S18-02-RKV1.8-20130202

Reactions: NiTrOwow

jon cash

Feb 4, 2014
Hello, I was wondering where I can find a custom rom for a JXD S18-01-xxxx. It is dissapointing that the firmware provided by JXD is just bad. I just tried Skelrom ICS for JXD S601 (which has the same hardware as the S18), it did boot up but unfortunately the touchscreen doesnt recognize any input. Any way to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: NiTrOwow

NiTrOwow

Jul 20, 2010
Hello, I was wondering where I can find a custom rom for a JXD S18-01-xxxx. It is dissapointing that the firmware provided by JXD is just bad. I just tried Skelrom ICS for JXD S601 (which has the same hardware as the S18), it did boot up but unfortunately the touchscreen doesnt recognize any input. Any way to fix this? Thanks in advance.

To be honest i have no idea how to fix this. Have you tried to play around with build.prop? Maybe this can solve the issue. I'm not sure but you can give it a try. Btw modifying the current rom isn't that hard since you can extract the rom(firmware update) by JXD and update(flash) it on your S18.
I actually don't think that it will get any better since the firmware is already stripped to the bare minimum. And the hardware is the minimal to run 4.1 on.

Good luck through.

Last edited:

jon cash

Feb 4, 2014
[ROOT, CWM] JXD S18-03- xxxx RK2926 mini pad [Guide]

Hi NitrOwow,
Thanks for the feedback. Ive been learning the ropes of building my own custom rom just recently. Ive also gotten Build Prop Editor to try and mess around abit. I notice that the JXD firmware provided has apps that I probably wont use like Email, Google Latitude, etc. My goal is to get a working rom as lean as possible with the least amount of resources, while cutting down on the battery drain. Any ideas how to do it?

NiTrOwow

Jul 20, 2010
Hi NitrOwow,
Thanks for the feedback. Ive been learning the ropes of building my own custom rom just recently. Ive also gotten Build Prop Editor to try and mess around abit. I notice that the JXD firmware provided has apps that I probably wont use like Email, Google Latitude, etc. My goal is to get a working rom as lean as possible with the least amount of resources, while cutting down on the battery drain. Any ideas how to do it?

How i did this was simple, change the settings of the play store so it wont update/download anything again. Then remove all gaps(google apps) and other trash, reboot and it should work much smoother. However this will not solve the fast battery draining. The battery in this device is just as poor as a dead one that had lasted over 2 years with over 500 charges(end of life, cells are dead). It has a battery life of maybe two and an half hour. The only options would be to replace it with a higher quality lithium ion battery. It's just 3.7vdc with protection ic. So you can replace it with nearly any battery not sure if you have to watch out for the Whr not sure if this plays a role in releasing the magic smoke or not to be honest. Maybe ask someone else this question, i personally don't have enough experience with phone batteries to answer this question correctly..

Last edited:
Reactions: jon cash

jon cash

Feb 4, 2014
Update: I have seen the sysctl mod to help increase batter life, but unfortunately, the is no sysctl.conf and init.d folder, so I had to make my own. However this doesn't work as the values seem to be set via init.rc. I have an ampe a78 and zenithink n6, and these two can clock over two days of battery with conservative usage without any mods. And the e3 (or 3e) bootloader seems to be locked, thwarting any attempt to flash a new rom. Should I try editing the boot.img? Though I'm not sure if jxd allows that. Thanks in advance.

NiTrOwow

Jul 20, 2010
Could you tell me, where to buy
http://www.dx.com/p/jxd-s18-4-3-res...ad-tablet-pc-w-tf-wi-fi-g-sensor-black-161536

Update: I have seen the sysctl mod to help increase batter life, but unfortunately, the is no sysctl.conf and init.d folder, so I had to make my own. However this doesn't work as the values seem to be set via init.rc. I have an ampe a78 and zenithink n6, and these two can clock over two days of battery with conservative usage without any mods. And the e3 (or 3e) bootloader seems to be locked, thwarting any attempt to flash a new rom. Should I try editing the boot.img? Though I'm not sure if jxd allows that. Thanks in advance.
Don't know man if its possible it is indeed locked but didn't go any further then rooting it as i only needed root to run some apps on it and have some fun.

May 20, 2020
So sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I've unearthed my near fossilized Audiosonic 7 T17B POS which seems to be running sluggish and in need of a battery replacement, but otherwise in surprisingly decent quality condition.

Im completely new to all this, and am just throwing myself at as much research as possible, and am hoping to do quite a bit to this little relic to give it new life & purpose, but its clear a new OS is absolutely in order. (The apps setup dont even offer option to change permission settings) However, there is very little info out there regarding teardowns, OS, etc for me to go by, so Im kinda stuck just figuring out general device parts and requirements and going from there.

I have a few Qs:

1. Does this all still work? And if so, do the same steps apply for, and supported by, Windows 10?
2. Is there a newer version of android that I can load, or can you recommend a custom rom for my device specs?
3. Does this custom recovery work for any kind of OS like Linux, or just Android and Kernel supported OS?
4. Do you know where I can find more info regarding any of this? As I mentioned, this seems to have been a rather limited and undocumented device and is now obsolete... and short of jacking up the battery and installing it in the car, I cant think of anything else to do with it without a system overhaul.

Device:
Audiosonic 7" T17B
Android: Jellybean 4.1.1
Kernel Version:
3.0.36+
"ricks@server2 #142" (whatever that means)
Build Number:
RK292X_ANDROID4.1.1-SDK-v1.01.00
Rk2926sdk-eng.4.1.1_20130918
(Can provide more info if needed)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In this guide i will show you how to root a JXD S18 03-xxxx device.

This method was tested on the following device:
    Kernel: 3.0.36+ Feb 2
    Soc: Rk2926
    Model: S18-03-201304-4GB-00727

Root:

0. Download files.zip(from here) extract it and open it in explorer.
    1. Connect your device to your computer (micro-usb)
    2. Unmount all storage devices (TF/SD card, onboard TF/SD, etc..)
    3. Enable USB Debugging (Under settings > Options for developers > Enable USB Debugging)
    4. Open ''AdbDriverInstaller.exe'' and install the universal ADB driver
    5. Automated process for rooting the device ''ROOT ME.bat'' Press any key and just wait and let the tablet reboot.
    6. Manual root:
    Code:
    adb shell
    mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system
    exit
    adb push busybox /system/bin
    adb push su /system/bin
    adb shell
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system
    exit
    adb reboot
    And now you have root.
    attachment.php

Make sure to update su(super user) after rooting. Because it is outdated.
    You can either use adb push for this or you can use the Google Play store to download the latest bin.

CWM-recovery
    Download: http://files.androtab.info/rockchip/rk2928/20130425/S18-03_CWM.zip

From adb root shell
    1. extract flash_image and recovery.img from CWM.zip
    2. put flash_image and recovery.img into device, e.g.
    adb push flash_image /dev/
    adb push recovery.img /dev/
    3. enter root shell (adb shell)
    4. flash recovery.img into recovery partition with flash_image, e.g.
    chmod 755 /dev/flash_image
    /dev/flash_image recovery /dev/recovery.img

Read this when you have any issues
    CWM installation problems, please try another method if this doesn't work for you.
    Link: http://androtab.info/clockworkmod/rockchip/install/

If you have any issues while rooting please try:
    adb kill-server
    adb devices

And see if the devices is listed after killing the server.

If it is not than u may have another soc (older version does have other rockchip and the adb driver wont work properly).
    This guide is for the latest version as if 1st May 2013: S18-03-XXXX (4.9.2013)

If you still have no output from adb devices you can try one more thing!
    By editing android_winusb.inf in C:\Windows\System23\Drivestore\Filerepository\android_winusb.inf_amd64_neutral_<random_chars>
    You will see two of those folders.

Open it with a text editor like notepad++ or notepad make sure you have nt authority rights

android_winusb.inf:
    Code:
    ;------------------------------------NTx86------------------------------------
    [Google.NTx86];
    For loopback testing
    And add this after the first space of declaring hardware ids;
    Code:
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&MI_01
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_2207&PID_0010&MI_01

Tested and working on the following devices:

Audiosonic T-17B 7" tablet (Kmart webshop version) ✓
    S18-03-XXXX (4.9.2013) ✓
    S18-03-201302 (4gb-00905) ✓

S18-02-XXXX (x.x.2012) ?

Credits: me, icood70pro, fun_ for modding CWM for rockchip, all credit goes to original CWM author koush and all its contributors.
    Seems like a bug.. in the forum software handling the bbcode.. :eek:

Just remove the <br /> at the end of the url and it works.

FYI. PROBLEM IS SENT TO FORUM ADMIN.

Thanks. This problem is now fixed. it will not ask for a password now.

Mike
    Just wanted to confirm I have successfully rooted my Audiosonic T-17B &" tablet (AUS KMart version) using your guide!

Although I'll note that the BAT file didn't succeed for some reason. Manually following the commands worked fine though, but I didn't bother with CWM as yet.

EDIT: Figured it out. It's the 'exit' commands you've stuck in there, it terminates the whole batch command instead of just restarting ADB. Can you edit that and re-upload the zipfile?
    I not success download the zip file because ask me for a password. It's possible obtain this password please?

Seems like a bug.. in the forum software handling the bbcode.. :eek:

Just remove the <br /> at the end of the url and it works.
    5449.png

And my content does not even include <br /> == space/enter ...

4XwS5.png

FYI. PROBLEM IS SENT TO FORUM ADMIN.
    If I receive a S03 and I hope is this, I will try your tutorial, if is a S02 I will try other thing because I suppose is not the same CPU and this risk not work?

About the OTG, I have read a guy success use it on the S18 with a external power on the OTG. He say it's a power problem only. Just I lost the link where is this message.

I hope my english is OK because is not my language.

No i understand you if you get your S03 or 02 you will have to open it up and have a look at it yourself i made some close up images of the board.
    They can be found right here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2253706

So you can look at your device and mine from the inside and look what is diffrent :)
    :good: