[Q] Dev Edition Maxx - how to get root access / possible Stock Recovery problem?

Search This thread

TerrorTodd

Jan 2, 2012
I know this should be really simple, but I can't seem to figure it out. I have unlocked my bootloader and tried to just download Superuser from the Play Store which of course did not work. So I figured I needed to boot into recovery and flash the zip possibly to do this. Thing is when I try to go into the Stock Recovery it gives me the Dead Droid with the red exclamation point. Not sure how do proceed. Can someone help walk me through this??

Thanks!
--Todd

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
I know this should be really simple, but I can't seem to figure it out. I have unlocked my bootloader and tried to just download Superuser from the Play Store which of course did not work. So I figured I needed to boot into recovery and flash the zip possibly to do this. Thing is when I try to go into the Stock Recovery it gives me the Dead Droid with the red exclamation point. Not sure how do proceed. Can someone help walk me through this??

Thanks!
--Todd

You need to flash TWRP in fastboot and when you reboot it will ask you if you want to root

TerrorTodd

Jan 2, 2012
You need to flash TWRP in fastboot and when you reboot it will ask you if you want to root

Great thanks. I used the one that worked with Razr MAXX HD as I haven't been able to find one specifically for the Droid MAXX. I used the .img file from here http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/olympus and loaded it in Fastboot. Never asked me to root and didn't seem to work. However I was able to get into the stock Recovery after fiddling with the power and volume up keys. I loaded the Superuser zip as an update and that didn't work either.

Suggestions on how to obtain root / did I use the wrong file possibly?

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
Great thanks. I used the one that worked with Razr MAXX HD as I haven't been able to find one specifically for the Droid MAXX. I used the .img file from here http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/olympus and loaded it in Fastboot. Never asked me to root and didn't seem to work. However I was able to get into the stock Recovery after fiddling with the power and volume up keys. I loaded the Superuser zip as an update and that didn't work either.

Suggestions on how to obtain root / did I use the wrong file possibly?

use the one in post #67 here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2458449&page=7

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
That was the problem. The reboot was not loading it for some reason. I ended up loading this file:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2534850

Did the fastboot and then went right into recovery instead of rebooting. It worked! Thanks!!!

Sir..Friend..if you ever have time..would/could you work up a document (in detail) what it took to Root your XT1080M DE..I will most likely purchase the DE soon..I have two XT1080M Public..but SO much desire the DE also..

I'm no dev, or expert..and have worked with adb some..but I'd probably be lost without a step by step instructions..from start to finish..

If you do not have the time..do you know someone that will.?
This document would help so many..If I knew the procedure, I would work up a .docx ..

I do have instruction and zip ( a kit ) that I worked up for "RockMyMoto" that I have shared with many, and seems to be very effective..and saves alot of time of explanation in the threads..I just post a link..and lots less time keyboard instructions to everyone interested..Thought It'd be great to do something like that for the issue at hand here..

Thanks..

sent by my 4.2.2_12.15.15
RockMyMoto Root..SafeStrap v3.65
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(device #1)

Please donate to: jcase & Hashcode (if you can)

Last edited:

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
Sir..Friend..if you ever have time..would/could you work up a document (in detail) what it took to Root your XT1080M DE..I will most likely purchase the DE soon..I have two XT1080M Public..but SO much desire the DE also..

I'm no dev, or expert..and have worked with adb some..but I'd probably be lost without a step by step instructions..from start to finish..

This document would help so many..If I knew the procedure, I would work up a .docx ..

I do have instruction and zip ( a kit ) that I worked up for "RockMyMoto" that I have shared with many, and seems to be very effective..and saves alot of time of explanation in the threads..I just post a link..and lots less time keyboard instructions to everyone interested..Thought It'd be great to do something like that for the issue at hand here..

Thanks..

XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(device #1)

Not much to write up about rooting the Dev Edition. Find the TWRP recovery image in the moto X forums. Fastboot flash it (Fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img) reboot to the bootloader (Fastboot reboot-bootloader) choose recovery, reboot system, swipe to install root, AND.... you're done

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks..

XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
    (device #1)

Not much to write up about rooting the Dev Edition. Find the TWRP recovery image in the moto X forums. Fastboot flash it (Fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img) reboot to the bootloader (Fastboot reboot-bootloader) choose recovery, reboot system, swipe to install root, AND.... you're done
    Yes using fastboot.

fastboot flash recovery "recoveryfilename.img"

fastboot reboot

Instead of fastboot reboot try fastboot reboot-bootloader
    Then go into recovery

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2