[Q] Do I need a SIM unlock on DInc2 with CM flashed?

Search This thread

PMDPhD

Nov 18, 2013
Moto G7
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
I flashed Chillybeans unofficial CM 10.2 and it works great so far. I was wondering if I would still need to SIM "unlock" this phone to use it overseas or on a GSM carrier.

I have been using this old phone as a backup/media player on WiFi and currently is not active on any cellular carrier. I may want to use it when I travel since it a global phone.

Thanks

121tech

Oct 28, 2012
Northern Thailand
The phone comes with a pre-installed VZW/Vodaphone SIM Card that, with a current VZW account, allows the phone to roam with additional charges on foreign cdma and gsm networks when abroad.

It needs to be unlocked to use other carrier SIM cards.

The unlock code is stored in hardware memory and is unaffected by rom or modem/radio firmware flashing.

jam0688

Jun 27, 2012
Arkansas
Unless you plan on going global a sim isn't necessary. It works on CDMA. As for unlocking it to another carrier I believe it would have to be flashed to that company unlike the galaxy s4 the sim port on the dinc2 is strictly for global use. I believe there's a forum floating around on here about it. Hope this was helpful and be sure to click thanks if it was.

jam0688

Jun 27, 2012
Arkansas
I mean u can use it on local gsm if its unlocked or ur s-off but u will only get Edge support. But if u just wanna use it on cdma using a cm rom has nothing to do with the sim just need an unlocked bootloader or to be s-off.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Now if u used htcdev bootloader unlock then ur phone will only work on global and not local gsm u need to be s-off to use on other gsm networks whether the sim is unlocked or not bec its locked through htc not verizon. Sorry bout so many posts i get carried away sometimes lol hope this helps

PMDPhD

Nov 18, 2013
Moto G7
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
Thanks for the responses, but I am still a bit confused. OK so for more background, I am rooted, fully S-OFF, and have flashed an unofficial CM 10.2 ROM from this forum link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2049902.

I am pretty new to rooting and modding and I am still a bit confused about the carrier lock. I get that if I buy a Verizon phone they lock it to their network until it's paid for and I should be able to unlock it now that I am no longer a Verizon customer, I have not actually called them to ask for this. Is this "lock" embedded in the actual SIM card, or some sort of partition in the phones memory that rooting/flashing ROMs does not touch? I assumed flashing a ROM deletes almost all the carrier software except for the recovery partition.

I have the manual to this phone, and I cannot find a spec sheet that lists the radios present inside this device. I assumed because it was "global" it had some GSM radios, am I wrong?

Here is the scenario I want to use this: I'd like to visit a friend in the UK, and instead of bringing my current phone, I'd bring the DInc2 toss the Verizon SIM card in the trash, buy a local carrier SIM card, pop it in and pay my charges and use it for the week. I know you can do that with Nexus phones because they are fully unlocked, would I be able to do this with my DInc2 if I got the Verizon unlock code since flashing a ROM does not unlock it?

Thanks.