Why one should never unlock the Motorola Razr HD bootloader (xt925) !

Search This thread

saloums7

Jul 19, 2012
Montreal
Skrilax_CZ
Every Every line in my OP is a fact ! (you don't like what it imply)
What is debatable: The suggestion whether to unlock BL, YES or NO !

Facts can be wrong. You can get OTA after a BL unlock. Heck you can even get it after root.
Everything else Skrilax_CZ said were also facts but were actually correct. You're not enjoying being wrong stop trying to bash his corrections.
Unless you can back up your facts with actual sources, they're not valid facts.

Sent from my RAZR HD XT925

Reactions: Skrilax_CZ
T

Tquetski

If your phone accidentally falls into the microwave at a ratio of 1 second for every 5 it will retain no visable electrical damage and since it won't turn on factor warranty will still cover it.

Last edited:

itzik_man

Nov 13, 2010
Saint-Laurent, Quebec
Facts can be wrong. You can get OTA after a BL unlock. Heck you can even get it after root.
Everything else Skrilax_CZ said were also facts but were actually correct. You're not enjoying being wrong stop trying to bash his corrections.
Unless you can back up your facts with actual sources, they're not valid facts.
I have decided many time to give up on answering users on this topic, but really nonsense that borderline with verbal deficiency drove me to respond:
Do you have a job as a side line lawyer ? Skiliax_CZ is capable effectively to defend himself !
- Facts can not be wrong, they are just facts (from Motorola & Rogers) !
- Have you seen a xt925 that was upgraded to JB after bootloader unlocked..?
- Have I mentioned that a phone can not be upgrade after root..?

saloums7

Jul 19, 2012
Montreal
I have decided many time to give up on answering users on this topic, but really nonsense that borderline with verbal deficiency drove me to respond:
Do you have a job as a side line lawyer ? Skiliax_CZ is capable effectively to defend himself !
- Facts can not be wrong, they are just facts (from Motorola & Rogers) !
- Have you seen a xt925 that was upgraded to JB after bootloader unlocked..?
- Have I mentioned that a phone can not be upgrade after root..?

I upgraded my own phone after BL unlock. Moto & Rogers are obviously going to tell you it won't work since they don't want you unlocking the BL

What will prevent you from upgrading when your BL is unlocked is if you have a custom recovery installed

Sent from my RAZR HD XT925

Last edited:

danifunker

Sep 12, 2011
Toronto
www.funkervogt.com
Last question on this topic and then I will let is to rest indefinitely (promise).
Have you upgraded OTA your JB..? (all I said; OTA wont work anymore on your phone)
OTA will work regardless of bootloader unlock or not, as long as you are on stock firmware. Your problem was that the Rogers stock 49003 was not the officially released ROM, it was like flashing a leaked version.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2

itzik_man

Nov 13, 2010
Saint-Laurent, Quebec
danifunker - Now that I am back on official stock Rogers 122002 JB (using the 6 files and fastboot.bat method), it means on next OTA update I should get update automatically..?

zilian28

Apr 23, 2012
Goiânia
Ppl, you can flash ICS Retail again after and OTA upgrade to Jelly Bean, and you DON´T NEED TO UNLOCK your booloader to downgrade. I have done that 5 times yet (using RSD) with no problems. My phone is a xt925.

Reactions: chgrbt

itzik_man

Nov 13, 2010
Saint-Laurent, Quebec
btw. it's a little OT but it was "spoken about": Anybody (who's unlocked and somehow customized) tried updating the firmware through Motorola Device Manager
Yes, I have tried for 2 weeks to get an OTA through the MDM installed on my PC without any luck, then I realized (after using a customized ROM & kernel) that the ICS Rogers version I have reinstalled, is not the original one that came with my XT925. (Since then I got the original upgrade of the JB with the help of daifunker).

Reading this Thread and motorola site information:

HOW UNLOCKING YOUR BOOTLOADER COULD IMPACT YOUR DEVICE
1. You will lose all media and content on your device and will need to reinstall all applications downloaded from Google Play.
2. You will not be able to watch any movies you downloaded.
3. Applications may not work anymore.
4. You may lose encryption support.
5. You may lose some key functions like telephone, radio, and audio playback.
6. You could cause permanent/physical damage to your device.
7. Unlocking your bootloader will not change your device subsidy lock status

Im confused about number 2, 3 and 4.

Recomendations????

mojimmy

Jan 2, 2013
Agree

The pro & cons of unlocking the bootloader:
Pro: Install customs ROMS with custom kernels (basically that's it)
Cons: - Loosing warranty from Motorola & your carrier
- No more firmware upgrades (your IMEI is dropped out of Motorola databank)
- Little verity of quality custom ROMs or development (close to none) exist for the Razr HD
- Future upgrade to JB & KLP will never happened (this phone is listed as a potential candidate for KLP update)
- Keeping your xt925 beyond your 1 year warranty will still guaranty, a steady upgrades of firmware
- Can root a phone with bootloader locked (without loosing warranty - root is reversible)
- Legally (Motorola binding Bootloader unlock contract), you can't sell a BL unlock Motorola Razr HD phone !

If someone can add some Pro's to an unlock bootloader please do it..
Coming from a Rezound which had a ton of ROMS to choose from and having now a Razor that was purchased with JB installed; I see no reason to un-lock at the current time. The only thing I would really like to upgrade is the camera..

xdracco

Nov 1, 2012
The pro & cons of unlocking the bootloader:
Pro: Install customs ROMS with custom kernels (basically that's it)
Cons: - Loosing warranty from Motorola & your carrier
- Little verity of quality custom ROMs or development (close to none) exist for the Razr HD
- Future upgrade to JB & KLP will never happened (this phone is listed as a potential candidate for KLP update)
- Keeping your xt925 beyond your 1 year warranty will still guaranty, a steady upgrades of firmware
- Can root a phone with bootloader locked (without loosing warranty - root is reversible)
- Legally (Motorola binding Bootloader unlock contract), you can't sell a BL unlock Motorola Razr HD phone !

If someone can add some Pro's to an unlock bootloader please do it..

Are you sure it's illegal to sell a phone with unlocked boot loader? Can you provide citation or link to back up that claim? Thanks.

itzik_man

Nov 13, 2010
Saint-Laurent, Quebec
(4) User is unlocking the Device and/or altering the Device's software or operating system for his/her own personal use; User agrees not to transfer (i.e. sell, lease, or otherwise receive compensation from any third party for the right to use, possess, or operate such Device) such Device to any third party;
Read more on Motorola's site: Click on > legal terms
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzY0MTI1MTA1L3NpZC9UNm9KQ1lsbA%3D%3D

slickfing

Mar 14, 2012
IF ONLY U KNEW WHAT AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER COULD DO FOR U..YOU'D UNLOCK AND NOT ASK.
I HAVE AND IT'S THE BEST THING I EVER DID TO MY PHONE. I was wondering why I could flash easily on my s3 and note 2..till I read that those already shipped with UNLOCKED BOOTLOADERS..If samsung ships its phones with unlocked bootloaders (aside verizon), how could that be bad?
Know what I have done with my phone sizes?
1. I have flashed a recovery
2. backed up my rom
3. debloated my rom
4. removed my soft keys (u should see my screen)
5. phone runs excellently..no lag
6. installed LMT launcher
7. replaced my boot animation

List will continue and I've only had the phone for 4 days.
That's how awesome an unlocked bootloader has made my phone.
I dont use my s3 or note 2 anymore...actually sold them both.

Know i need to figure out how to overclock the phone.
Open to suggestions.

Reactions: Fekajo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cons one by one:
    - Loosing warranty from Motorola & your carrier
    True, but obvious.

Nope. Even if you were not to receive OTA, which by the way is not true as I've observed on my Photon Q, you can still freely flash the new firmwares yourself ^^

Depends on ones point of view. Usually a CM port means you get newer Android sooner.

Why it wouldn't? Unlocking BLs has no impact on upgrade schedule.

No. That's solely on Moto / Google decision. They don't have to update it at all. (See Droid 3, Milestone 3, Motorola XT720 etc.)

Yes, although you have to be careful, because there are scirpts checking if you're rooted.

You can sue Moto for breaking laws. They can't forbid you doing that (don't know honestly how is that in US / Canada, but I doubt that seeing how it works with computer games).

So please, while for normal user not willing to flash custom ROMs it's true that they should not unlock the bootloader, don't spill nonsenses around that. It's just that when you unlock your bootloader, you're on your own when playing with the firmware. But when you have stock firmware back on it, nothing prevents you from getting the OTA.
    btw. it's a little OT but it was "spoken about": Anybody (who's unlocked and somehow customized) tried updating the firmware through Motorola Device Manager (https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/91999/p/1449,8620)?
    Oh boy, this thread again.
    At least on my O2 Germany xt925 I got the update OTA from ICS to JB after unlocking. Had to return to the stock bootloader because the OTA relies on it after rebooting though.
    I disagree from the op.
    Every change to device firmware compromises the warranty, not just bootloader, read the agreements ... If you exploit a bug to have root access, you will have to fool everyone who will have contact with your phone so they don't see what you have done. Even if you try to "reverse" the root, you(or the program you use) will always leave a trace.