[ADV][DEV][STOCK IMAGE]Nook Color 1.01 stock dd images

Search This thread
Nov 25, 2008
Hi all.. Ive getting error of dd:cant open 'sdcard/boot.img' No such file or directory

this is my workflow

1. copied the boot.img into sdcard via pc
2. boot nookie 0.5.9
3. adb shell with dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

( earlier problem cant boot into nc after messed up with framework with internal nookie. )

Anyone please help. Thank you

sixcoronas

Nov 27, 2009
Texas
Ok, I ran the commands with ADB just fine and now when I boot, the "Nook Color by B&N" screen just flashes on and off every 5 seconds.

Any ideas?

Edit- It looks like a reboot took care of.

Last edited:

Homer_S_xda

Dec 5, 2010
I'm resetting my NC back to stock and mine came with 1.0.0. Is it these partitions I need to dd to images to have a set for 1.0.0?

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/boot.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/sdcard/system.img

Resulted in
Code:
C:\Users\blah>adb shell
# dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/boot.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/sdcard/boot.img
144522+0 records in
144522+0 records out
73995264 bytes (70.6MB) copied, 26.795044 seconds, 2.6MB/s
# dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/sdcard/system.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/sdcard/system.img
931707+0 records in
931707+0 records out
477033984 bytes (454.9MB) copied, 205.945679 seconds, 2.2MB/s

The sizes above match the sizes of your set. When compressing, they don't seem to compress very much. Did you use any other options?

Homer

Homer_S_xda

Dec 5, 2010
Hi all.. Ive getting error of dd:cant open 'sdcard/boot.img' No such file or directory

this is my workflow

1. copied the boot.img into sdcard via pc
2. boot nookie 0.5.9
3. adb shell with dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

( earlier problem cant boot into nc after messed up with framework with internal nookie. )

Anyone please help. Thank you
Nookie Froyo 0.5.9 has a borked vold. Did you fix it with the instructions in the NF thread? If you did, it should then properly mount your SDCard.

Also, if you copied the boot.img to the sdcard via pc was that in a card adapter or via adb?

Homer

pts69666

Nov 23, 2007
Thank you for these files. I haven't needed them yet, however, if I ever need to get warranty work done, these will get me to stock really quick =D

namgorf

Jul 10, 2007
Well, I was completely unable to get adb to work on any of my systems, so I did it all completely on the device itself. Here's how!

Firstly, I used nookie-froyo-0.5.8 because 5.9 has SD issues, once there I got on my network and got into my email account.

From there I emailed myself WiFi_File_Explorer.apk because I was unable to see the SD card over USB. Using the web interface I uploaded boot.img and system.img.

Then I installed Connectbot

And started a local terminal session.

From the local terminal session I typed su to get super user rights, once that was done I just typed the commands from the op:

dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5

Each command takes some time to run, and once done I shut down the nook. Removed the SD card and was pleased to see it finally boot.

Dragracekid

Sep 17, 2008
anyone have there nook actually shut down after a while with the commands in proccesse? i run the boot one and it runs for a while and shuts down any help? if it doesnt work this time im going to run it through a terminal emulator and see if that works

aztigen22

Jul 25, 2008
Makati
Just having this detailed as possible since i really messed up my system, boot, data, EVERYTHING in NC..but revived it to stock...hope this helps

Here is what happened: I have a NC with 1.0.1.
then i updated to 1.0.1 to autonooter my nook----done.
everything is OK, gmail,market,youtube,etc,no problems-----done.
then flashed NookieFroyo 6.7 to emmc-------done.(thanx)
flashed throught Rom Manager and restarted my NC-----PROBLEM BEGIN: unable to turn NC on.
installed CWR to run in SD-----done.
tried to flash again 6.7 to emmc------done.
STILL UNABLE TO TURN ON
flashed Nookie Froyo 5.9 running in SD via CWR-SD------done.
WORKED FINE but still in SD
tried to flash other Rom/Stock to internal NC------NO SUCCESS.
wiped everthing, formated SDcard,boot,system,data,cache in CWR-SD: !!!this even made it worse!!! it just ruined my boot and system

make sure you have adb in your computer

SAW THIS THREAD and ITS THE 100% SOLUTION
What I did:

-Flashed a 2GB SD with NookieFroyo 5.9 SD running (thank you Brianf21)
-completed the makepart.sh and formatpart.sh, reboot

-Download the system and boot found in the first post of Shad0wf0x
-unzipped and moved to where my android SDK is: C:/android-sdk/tools/--- in Windows PC
-connected my NC running NookieFroyo 5.9 to PC
-opened terminal or in PC--- Command prompt
-adb push the boot.img and system.img to /sdcard/
-dd the files..
turned off NC
removed SD
hold ''n'' button while turning NC on
and booted to BN 1.0.1

hope i was of help....thanks so much Shadowfox

rawfish

Aug 21, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Hi aztigen22,

Good to hear it works for you - it doesn't work for me though. Similar to CWR where it blanks after LOADING displays (despite holding various key combos for approx. 60+ secs, the same thing happened when I tried to run both Brianf21 and Sam's Froyo SD.

samuelhalff

Oct 5, 2010
You also could have used monsters CWR SD image and my boot repair zip file. Then do the two resets...

Sam

Just having this detailed as possible since i really messed up my system, boot, data, EVERYTHING in NC..but revived it to stock...hope this helps

Here is what happened: I have a NC with 1.0.1.
then i updated to 1.0.1 to autonooter my nook----done.
everything is OK, gmail,market,youtube,etc,no problems-----done.
then flashed NookieFroyo 6.7 to emmc-------done.(thanx)
flashed throught Rom Manager and restarted my NC-----PROBLEM BEGIN: unable to turn NC on.
installed CWR to run in SD-----done.
tried to flash again 6.7 to emmc------done.
STILL UNABLE TO TURN ON
flashed Nookie Froyo 5.9 running in SD via CWR-SD------done.
WORKED FINE but still in SD
tried to flash other Rom/Stock to internal NC------NO SUCCESS.
wiped everthing, formated SDcard,boot,system,data,cache in CWR-SD: !!!this even made it worse!!! it just ruined my boot and system

make sure you have adb in your computer

SAW THIS THREAD and ITS THE 100% SOLUTION
What I did:

-Flashed a 2GB SD with NookieFroyo 5.9 SD running (thank you Brianf21)
-completed the makepart.sh and formatpart.sh, reboot

-Download the system and boot found in the first post of Shad0wf0x
-unzipped and moved to where my android SDK is: C:/android-sdk/tools/--- in Windows PC
-connected my NC running NookieFroyo 5.9 to PC
-opened terminal or in PC--- Command prompt
-adb push the boot.img and system.img to /sdcard/
-dd the files..
turned off NC
removed SD
hold ''n'' button while turning NC on
and booted to BN 1.0.1

hope i was of help....thanks so much Shadowfox

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

rawfish

Aug 21, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
You also could have used monsters CWR SD image and my boot repair zip file. Then do the two resets...

Sam

Hi Sam, I am attempting all the methods I could find to restore to stock, none are working. shad0wf0x's method will not work for me as it did for you, as I do not have access to ADB (tried to get the NC detected under both Win7 and Ubuntu).

Simply put, how it happened was:
OOBE -> BN 1.01 -> Autonooter -> block OTA -> Root + gApps > Rom Mgr'd CWR into eMMC -> HC v4 SD -> gApps -> manual su -> dalingrin's 1.1ghz oc kernel -> reboot success > checked on symlinks -> auto-reboot to stock -> reboot -> HC loads -> blacks out, unable to reboot anymore.

Issue: Suspected corrupt boot on eMMC, maybe internal CWR involved? Loading CWR-SD always fails (with various button combos & durations), as with any form of HC/Froyo SD - they do not go past the loading screens. Tried on 4 different uSD sizes/brands, 2 card readers, 2 OSes, various recommended .img writers & formatters - no progress.

Anyway, I appreciate the threads you've created here - they are very helpful indeed. I am still positive my device has not hard-bricked, nor had its CPU fried (else, the bootloader would not work in the first place, right?). Hoping others will help :)

aztigen22

Jul 25, 2008
Makati
Hi aztigen22,

Good to hear it works for you - it doesn't work for me though. Similar to CWR where it blanks after LOADING displays (despite holding various key combos for approx. 60+ secs, the same thing happened when I tried to run both Brianf21 and Sam's Froyo SD.

maybe you had a bad burn? if you got CWR-SD running,then i think this process will work on any NC.. in the CWR-SD,before i booted Brianf21's nookiefroyo, i even formated everything i saw in the CWR-SD...the cache,data,system,boot,SDcard, and SD-ext... that's why i thought i destroyed my emmc/internal storage...since i cant get any flashable zip in my emmc..

So i burned ''.img'' of brianf21's nookiefroyo ver 5.9..its the one you can download in his thread with the number ''5''.. then burn it with win32imager..u can download it in the link he gave in the same thread.. then run froyo5.9(YOU SHOULD run brianf21's ''makepart.sh and formatpart.sh'' please read)...assuming u have downloaded shadowfox's files, connect you NC (running froyo-SD) you will not be able to access your storage through USB but u can ADB it.. just adb push the boot and system images(copy the images first into the Adroid SDK/tools/)then abd push it into adb push to ''/sdcard/''...you will see in your terminal if it succesfully copied...then use shadowfox's DD commands to DD the image INTO you NC's INTERNAL STORAGE/emmc...shutdown,remove SD and boot..

aztigen22

Jul 25, 2008
Makati

Sam

THANKS for advising another way...
u mean the 8 failed and factory reset?Will it flash to my emmc?i tried flashing few versions of flashable zip unto my emmc and it didnt succeeded. thats why i thought i ruined the partitions, thus, booted a froyo in SD and dd the stuffs,etc.. BUT, i havent tried your boot repair zip..ill try it for then post what happened..could you link your boot repair file?or maybe ill just search for it?;)

Last edited:

rawfish

Aug 21, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
maybe you had a bad burn? if you got CWR-SD running,then i think this process will work on any NC.. in the CWR-SD,before i booted Brianf21's nookiefroyo, i even formated everything i saw in the CWR-SD...the cache,data,system,boot,SDcard, and SD-ext... that's why i thought i destroyed my emmc/internal storage...since i cant get any flashable zip in my emmc..

So i burned ''.img'' of brianf21's nookiefroyo ver 5.9..its the one you can download in his thread with the number ''5''.. then burn it with win32imager..u can download it in the link he gave in the same thread.. then run froyo5.9(YOU SHOULD run brianf21's ''makepart.sh and formatpart.sh'' please read)...assuming u have downloaded shadowfox's files, connect you NC (running froyo-SD) you will not be able to access your storage through USB but u can ADB it.. just adb push the boot and system images(copy the images first into the Adroid SDK/tools/)then abd push it into adb push to ''/sdcard/''...you will see in your terminal if it succesfully copied...then use shadowfox's DD commands to DD the image INTO you NC's INTERNAL STORAGE/emmc...shutdown,remove SD and boot..

Hi aztigen22, thanks. Both CWR and even Brianf21's Froyo 5.9 SD does not boot up on my device. I don't think it's a bad burn, as I've tried it too many times already on a variety of uSDs (x4 to be exact).

Anyone has any ideas too? Thanks.

faceman66

Feb 3, 2011
I am trying to create something similar to the OP, but running into some errors. I want to create my own images of my internal partitions and I have been trying to use the directions from over at nookDevs to 'Dump NookColor Partitions' but I am receiving the following errors:

Trying to output to the root of the Sd card:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/bk_p8media.img
/sdcard/bk_p8media.img: cannot open for write: Read-only file system

Trying to output to a folder on the Sd card that I made sure had RW privledges:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/backups/bk_media.img
/sdcard/backups/bk_media.img: cannot open for write: No such file or directory

What gives? I'm obviously doing something stupidly wrong. I've tried finding more info about how to dump internal partitions and all I can get is how to install over them, but not the other way around.

UPDATE:
Yup, I was being stupid... I forgot to unmount the NC and the SD from Windows so that it was writable from within ADB. All happy with this step now. Thanks ShadowFox

Last edited:

aztigen22

Jul 25, 2008
Makati
Hi aztigen22, thanks. Both CWR and even Brianf21's Froyo 5.9 SD does not boot up on my device. I don't think it's a bad burn, as I've tried it too many times already on a variety of uSDs (x4 to be exact).

Anyone has any ideas too? Thanks.

have u tried booting with ''n'' pressed? or maybe plug your NC into your computer's USB and with a bootable CWD-SD or Froyo-SD then turn it on. last week i had trouble with my NC not turning on even with boot SD, that worked. Hope this will do.

trusteelfan

May 5, 2009
Sacramento
Help my nook just has a black screen. I was trying to install honeycomb when I was formatting it just frooze and the screen went black. Im not sure if this will help me. I cant even tell if the nook is on or off. What can I do.

faceman66

Feb 3, 2011
Help my nook just has a black screen. I was trying to install honeycomb when I was formatting it just frooze and the screen went black. Im not sure if this will help me. I cant even tell if the nook is on or off. What can I do.

Read the forums here and burn a Froyo bootable SD. Pop it in and make sure you can boot to SD. If you can, follow this threads first post to repair your Nook. If you can't boot for some reason, then you need to repair your boot partition first, in which case you might want to start with this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=914690

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought my own nook color on saturday, there doesn't appear to be a factory image that can be restored. My new nook color came with version 1.01 preinstalled. Before turning it on the first time I put in nookie froyo and did a dd of all 8 of the stock partitions. Below is the zipped up .img files of mmcblk0p1/mmcblk0p5 (boot/system) from a stock untouched 1.01 nook color. I am also including the factory.zip. This should be enough to restore a bricked nook color with a corrupted boot or system partition. Many people have been able to restore to stock by just using the boot.img because after 8 failed boots it will do a factory reset.
    To make this work you must have ADB working first. You may be able to get this to work on ADB Wireless, but I don't recommend it. For instructions on getting adb to work with the nook color go here:
    http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

To use these files unzip them to the sdcard portion of a nookie froyo sdcard, or just about any other rom that runs from the sdcard and run the following commands in an adb shell:

Boot
    System
    factory.zip
    @vigeh

First you need to unzip those files you just downloaded. Second, you need to copy the "boot.img" and "system.img" (not the *.zip) to the "/SDCARD" folder on your SDCARD. I had to use WIFI FILE Explorer in Nookie Froyo cuz I messed up my nook so bad, i couldn't copy these files by turning on the USB Storage through the regular method. It took me days to figure this out cuz i'm kinda slow.

I hope you installed the Android-SDK on your computer already. If so, then go to the folder named "\platform-tools" on your PC - this is where ADB.EXE is located. Connect your nook and type "ADB DEVICES" just to make sure your nook is connected to the computer. It'll show up and tell you it is or not. If it is connected then do the following:

1. Type "ADB SHELL" then you'll see a "#" symbol after you hit enter.
    2. Type "dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1" just the way it is written by the original poster (minus the "" marks)

at this point, it usually wont say anything. Just wait a few minutes and something will pop up. In my case, it says:

"477033984 bytes <454.9MB> copied, 138.757660 seconds, 3.3MB/s"
    "#"

3. Type the second command next to the "#" sign "dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5"

wait another few minutes til the next confirmation pops up.

4. turn off nook, remove SD card
    5. Hold the N button and the Power button at the same time and it'll ask you to reset the nook to factory settings.

I hope this helps you ....
    vigeh4,

First download the first 2 files, system and boot, and then unzip them. Then you need to copy those 2 files (system.img and boot.img) to the sdcard, either while booted up in nookie froyo or by putting the sdcard in your computer. Then you must have adb working on your computer. open a command prompt or terminal(windows or mac/linux) and go to the location where your working adb is and copy and paste those commands into the window to run them.

Code:
    I am at my wits end. I probably have a weird Froyo on my SDcard. I messed up the boot directory on the NC and I just want my NC back. Overclocking was fun until I blew the /boot directory. Doh!

I downloaded the boot.img and extracted to my sdcard that has Froyo. adb can't see that file. My computer (Ubuntu 10.04) can't see the /sdcard directory. Any pointers on how to dd the boot.img in my situation? Google is usually my friend but not today or yesterday.

Thanks much.

download the older version of nookie froyo and use that, 0.5.9 has problems with the sdcard mounting. Or you could use the clockworkmod sd card image that is posted in this forum.