Guide: Remove the Screen Protector for improved clarity, brightness and color palette

Search This thread

dohanotoha

Feb 20, 2012
If you bought this new, demand that they give you a replacement . No reason to accept a damaged device.

It is complicated.I live in Saudi Arabia.I bought it from a guy on ebay.If I return it I will have to pay the shipping to Canada wich is very expensive.I sold it today for the same price I bought. I am getting a new one from our local retail.more expensive,but at least I can make sure nothing goes wrong this time

Thank you

grcd

Dec 29, 2009
I had a scratch in the protector found this page and was ecstatic thought it was scratched forever.

imgur(dot)com/dJt3C
(on theleft the screen protector is off, right still has it)

Took a pic with it half on half off to compare. I didn't really notice a huge difference in brightness and the screen protector leaves a sticky residue that needs to be cleaned off somehow. The text seems a little clearer but I'm not sure its a huge difference. On Thursday my extra screen protector comes in and I'll try and clean up one side and test the touch feedback and see if it feels better right now it's too sticky to tell. It will sit with the protector like that until Thursday as I don't want to scratch it, so if you have anything you want me to do I can try to accommodate.

The easiest way to take it off is with a thumbtack. It was nearly impossible with just a fingernail.

Thank you for your feedback. The sticky residue is easy to remove, it will go away on its own after a little bit of use. Also, you should not worry about scratches: you would really have to be trying to get scratches on your glass screen in less than a week!!!

Try using a lightly wet cloth to clean off the residue. You can also use glass cleaning solutions, but try to dilute them (not a good idea to use daily home cleaning solutions on your device!!!): I suggest 2/10th glass cleaning solution and 8/10ths water, on a piece of cloth and then carefully rubbing away the sticky residue. You can also use alcohol -- although alcohol may leave residue of its own which you will then need to clear using water-based solution afterwards.

Hello I bought my tablet s from Canada.Unfortunately it arrived with sort of scratches . I am not even sure whether they are cracks or scrathes

Sorry but since I am a new user,I am not allowed to post links yet.

The question is do you think these scratches could go away once I remove the film? and what type of screen protector do you recommend to use once I remove this one ?

Please advice me . Since I got the tablet I didn't really feel happy about it !

Thank you in advance.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Is there a video or.. A picture to help? it is so difficult to find it.

I think there is plenty of information on how to do it. It is not rocket-science and you will not have a hard time. And yes, your scratches will be removed -- most likely.

grcd

Dec 29, 2009
Just a quick update. I took the plunge and removed it myself. I will be updating the topic tomorrow with pictures of the process and my personal opinion of whether it was worth it or not!

dantheman122

Sep 20, 2011
Brisbane
I think mine has it on there two from what I can see, I put a sony screen protector on it as soon as I got it out of the box before any dirt/dust/fingerprints etc got on the screeen and I can't tell one scrap of difference sensitivity wise with my two on there and the one in the shop which presumably just had the factory one.

Kermit33

Feb 16, 2012
Hong Kong
Sony Tablets sold here are without screen protector, instead Sony Shops or retailers will give one free for us to put on.

grcd

Dec 29, 2009
Sony Tablets sold here are without screen protector, instead Sony Shops or retailers will give one free for us to put on.

my tablet s came w/o screen protector but with craddle, sony tablet cover folder, 16gb SDcard, 8gb thumbdrive figurine. :)

ALL tablets come with the protector. No exception. Post pictures of your tablet up close, if you believe otherwise. But you are most likely wrong. I will be updating this topic with pictures to show everyone what I am talking about.

You can also try the lightly tapping your device against your teeth. If it feels like plastic, then you have a screen protector on.

Notice that it is VERY hard to remove the installed screen protector. It takes a lot of time and patience. It is clearly not designed to be easy to remove.

rjsmith2007

Dec 27, 2010
I'm sorry it took so much trouble to take yours off. It is A LOT easier if you start with the rounded corner side.

SWFlyerUK

Nov 9, 2010
I'm tempted to take mine off, is there an alternative better protector that we can buy?

Last edited:

slinder154

May 8, 2011
As of now, I'm no longer sure if i have a factory applied screen protector. Could someone maybe confirm the absence or existence using the attached picture?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1334053961225.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334053961225.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 242

jayitaliano

Jun 26, 2011
I just finished removing my stock screen protector... and wow the clarity seems so much better. I simply poked the corner with a needle and slowely lifted until it seperated from the glass. Then cleaned after with diluted Windex.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

hogaburger

Mar 20, 2012
www.dvdactive.com
Just found this thread and did it to mine. Had a couple light scratches I thought I'd just have to deal with, but not anymore.

The residue is a bit ick right now but I'm working on it.

Maybe I'm just happy and convincing myself of it, but it seems quite noticeably more responsive to touch.

ssowinski

Jan 5, 2012
How is the "underscreen" for durability? Gorrila Glasslike or no? 'Cause if that gets scratched then we're really pooched.

I find that the original protector is decent for scratches from normal use (dirty hands, fingernails ect) but if you try to scratch it or have kids playing games then it marks up readily. Mine has a few very small scratches only noticeable at night watching videos and I am very careful with it.

If I remove the protector is it safe to use without or should another be applied? Kinds defeats the purpose right? Or is it just more durable but less shatter proof?

a_ballads

Nov 30, 2009
Tokyo
I can confirm that this makes a significant difference! So glad I did this!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using XDA Premium HD app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear all, thank you for reading this. I have re-written this entire first post, to provide proof and better information.

When I discovered a light scratch on my Sony Tablet S, I was particularly disappointed, because I had been taking good care of it, and I couldn't think of a reason it should have gotten a scratch in the first place. It looked irregular, as if a key like object had grinded the surface. Needless to say, a product is not supposed to get scratches so easily!

I proceeded to the 'teeth tap' trick on my device. This is basically to verify if it has a glass or a plastic coating. If you lightly tap the device's screen against your teeth, you can tell if the sensation is similar to a glass or plastic. Tablet S feels very much like plastic, which was yet another disappointment, as it means more scratches.

Then I did some research, inspired by the S-E Xperia Play, which also led many to believe that it came with a plastic screen, when that was not the case.

Turns out, S-E (and Sony?) have been releasing their recent line of phones with pre-installed screen protectors. These are not really meant to 'protect' the screen (although they do), and are more required to avoid the screen shattering into pieces (due to the quality of the glass, which is not as good as other equivalent devices'). This post explains it a little bit better.

Many users have opted to remove them (and either keep the glass screen naked, or install a 3rd party screen protector of their own choice) and have reported the following pros and cons:

CONS:
    - Residue is likely to be left behind, requiring careful cleaning
    - Screens can crack / break into pieces quite easily. Some even on first drop.
    - Some prefer the 'anti-glare' function of the pre-installed screen protector.

PROS:
    - Touch response is improved (see bartbla's post)
    - Improved clarity
    - Improved brightness
    - Glass is hard to scratch -- unlike the pre-installed screen protector which does get scratched easily
    - Glass does not attract dust, hair, oils or fingerprints as easily as the installed protective film
    - You can install a 3rd party protector of your own choosing

You can check these two posts for more information and screens of what it all looks like: (POST1, POST2)

I then thought: Maybe the Tablet S also has the same 'design'. And it does.

I can confirm that I have removed my installed screen protector. This was definitely NOT an easy thing to do. At times you feel like you are 'ruining' some kind of coating that is meant to stay on. But the brave get going when the going gets tough... so I persevered! And luckily for me, I was right. It is just a screen-protector which serves no apparent function (since you can replace it with one of your own that does a better job).

The things I can confirm are the following:

Brightness is increased
    Clarity is marginally improved
    Color palette is slightly improved (due to the above two mostly)
    The device seems to respond to my taps more accurately

I cannot find negatives, apart from the fact that the glass screen underneath is definitely not oleophobic. It gets smudged just as much as the protector. But at least it is glass, so stains go away easier (with fewer wipes) and of course, the feel is 'better' and it does not scratch easily. I still, however, encourage people to put a screen protector on, as there is reason to suspect that this is a normal glass (not an enhanced glass or a gorilla glass), thus it may scratch easier and also crack easier.

I am now including some pictures of the process, and also a 'before' after comparison for you.

First, how the tablet should look normally. Notice at the edge a very small gap. This indicates where the screen protector is:
    20at45k.jpg

Next, this is after a bit of it has been peeled. This is a long and arduous process. Took me about 5 minutes just to get it to this state!
    14kw45t.jpg

About 5 minutes later of carefully breaking my nails trying to remove a little bit more:
    2mi8ba.jpg

Finally, after a good portion of it was removed (it seems glued to the device!!!) you can carefully use a tongues tool or equivalent to grab the edge and finally start peeling it off. It seems that it is only glued at the edges, as it starts coming off much easier after a while:
    33ubo8n.jpg

After you have removed it, the screen may be 'sticky'. This is to be expected. You can use a mild alcohol solution with a little bit of water, and carefully clean any residue. Soon enough you will have a perfect glass screen!

For your convenience, here are my results, before and after, up close:
    11m82gn.jpg

This picture was taken at exact same brightness. In fact, it was while still removing it. You can see it is brighter and clearer on the side I have removed.

So, there you have it! I hope this has been useful to some of you! If it has been, I would appreciate if you clicked the 'Thanks!' button!

Some extra notes:

bartbla tried this and has reported that the protective film can be removed to improve clarity, touch sensitivity, display angles -- and of course no more scratches!

Thanks to Zardif, we now have a visual confirmation of the differences -- although the quality of the picture is not that good and might be hard to tell them apart just by looking at it. So I took the liberty to edit the picture, keeping the leftmost (film protector removed) and the rightmost (film protect still on). Hope you can tell the differences!

PS: Although this topic is unimportant compared to the truly important works by other posters, if it has helped you in any kind of way I would appreciate if you clicked the thanks button. It's just a nice way to be... nice. :D
    I can already confirm for you that it has a factory applied screen protector. We removed the one from my friends tablet about a month ago.

We both had the Sony matte screen protector on our tablets and a while back he managed to drop his tablet screen first onto the corner of a cinderblock. That incident put a hole straight through the matte screen protector and chipped what we thought was the screen underneath. About a month ago while inspecting my own tablet I noticed what appeared to be a second screen protector under the one I had applied and so we tried removing it on his tablet. Wonderfully enough we got it off and his screen was perfectly intact underneath. The actual tablet screen is quite wonderful in terms of dealing with fingerprints. It picks up virtually no fingerprints at all while swiping your fingers, but will pick up fingerprints if you just jab a finger at the screen. The brightness levels are no different than with the factory applied protector, if you were wondering. We tried testing to see if there was any noticable difference in touch sensitivity, but we couldn't notice any major difference.
    I took mine off.
    Just like on my SE Arc I think the screen looks a little bit better without the factory installed screen-protector.
    The viewing angle is also a bit better and the touch responsiveness is better, I noticed the difference with fruit ninja, I have to touch the screen with less force to get a reaction.
    The plastic screen-protector also attracts more dust and (in my case) cat hairs.
    All in all I like the touch off the glass surface better then the plastic surface.

Removing the factory installed screen-protector took me some time, the first time I could only damage the protector when I started in a corner, I could not get it off and thought this was a layer witch was not to be removed (maybe a sort of color adjustment coating).
    But after reading that someone else removed it, I tried again and this time it worked. :D
    My wife didn't have the patience to wait for an answer on the stylus question, so she removed it to find out for herself. Here's what we found out:

1.) The needle trick.. brilliant! The whole process took a couple of minutes. Use the needle to slowly peel back the plastic. Start at the corner (obviously).

2.) That screen protector is VERY thick and strong. No wonder the stylus input wasn't being picked up properly.

3.) Screen: MUCH BETTER. There is no question. Shouldn't even be up for debate. Right before we took this off, we were looking at photos. More clear, brighter.

4.) Touch input: Dramatically better. I have two stylus (styli?), a cheapo and an expensive one, both work great on it now. Even light strokes with the pen register now. If you need to apply a ton of pressure to draw straight lines, then you need to remove the plastic. Try with Draw Something and SBMX. So. Much. Better.

I'm sure there was a reason Sony put this piece of plastic on, but I feel I'm finally using the tablet to its potential. Pro far outweighs con.
    Maybe I was lucky, mine came off within 20 seconds!

Didn't seem to be stuck down much, no sticky residue left behind!