[GUIDE]A500/501/G100W-Installing ICS V8 UNL-BL & CWM Or back to HC BL(24-6-2012)

Search This thread

FredFFF

Apr 19, 2010
geek01.com
impossible unlock after A500 mobo's replacement

Hello
my acer iconia tab a500 has just been repaired by acer support center for a hardware problem (they've changed screen and mobo).

At First, when I bought it in january, it had an HC bootloader (I followed timmydean thread to root it and install custom recovery, and it worked very well)

Unfortunately, when it came back from acer support few days ago, it had an ICS locked bootloader, with a stock ICS rom.
I tried each method from civato's guide, but none of them worked
The CPUID and SBK is the same as before (i got it from a previous cwm backup, and dmesg actually gives me the same CPUID as before)
But the SBK is no more recognised by nvflash

v8.bat file blocked telling me:
Loading bootloader...
Nvflash started
USB device not found

(but the tablet is plugged and adb devices reports the device properly)

afterOTA, begins, but get stuck in apx mode
blackthunder, idem

etc etc.
It looks as if the cpuid reported (same with every tools and methods) is wrong, so that ths SBK is rejected in apxmode.

I wonder if the mobo's replacement did something, which prevents any unlock now...

The only "solution" i can think about, is trying downgrade with timmydean's method, but it seems risky, and I would prefer to backup the existing rom before flashing the tablet (which I could only do with an unlocked bootloader and cwm...)

Has any of you an idea?
I hope my Engllsh is understandable...:confused:

Android Build : Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1
Bootloader : 0.03.12-ICS

Last edited:

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
Hello
my acer iconia tab a500 has just been repaired by acer support center for a hardware problem (they've changed screen and mobo).

At First, when I bought it in january, it had an HC bootloader (I followed timmydean thread to root it and install custom recovery, and it worked very well)

Unfortunately, when it came back from acer support few days ago, it had an ICS locked bootloader, with a stock ICS rom.
I tried each method from civato's guide, but none of them worked
The CPUID and SBK is the same as before (i got it from a previous cwm backup, aned dmesg actually gives me the same CPUID as before)
But the SBK is no more recognised by nvflash

v8.bat file blocked telling me:
Loading bootloader...
Nvflash started
USB device not found

(but the tablet is plugged and adb devices reports the device properly)

afterOTA, begins, but get stuck in apx mode
blackthunder, idem

etc etc.
It looks as if the cpuid reported (same with every tools and methods) is wrong, so that ths SBK is rejected in apxmode.

I wonder if the mobo's replacement did something, which prevents any unlock now...

The only "solution" i can think about, is trying downgrade with timmydean's method, but it seems risky, and I would prefer to backup the existing rom before flashing the tablet (which I could only do with an unlocked bootloader and cwm...)

Has any of you an idea?
I hope my Engllsh is understandable...:confused:

If it says USB Device not found you need to check device manager once the tablet is in APX Mode. APX and adb use different drivers and are totally separate. They are installed by the same acer exe but they are different.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

FredFFF

Apr 19, 2010
geek01.com
If it says USB Device not found you need to check device manager once the tablet is in APX Mode. APX and adb use different drivers and are totally separate. They are installed by the same acer exe but they are different.

Thanks blackthund3r for helping me with this, but it still does not work:

I did it again, forcing APX mode (reset+power 3 sec)
launched v8.bat
Acer APx mode on the iconia
then v8 stuck with

Flashing bootloader: bootloader_v8.bin ...

Nvflash started
[resume mode]
Formatting partition 4 please wait.. Command Execution failed cmd 13, error 0x12
FAILED!
command failure: format partition failed (bad command)
bootloader status: unknown operation (code: 1) message: flags: 0

Nvflash started
[resume mode]

Last edited:

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
Thanks blackthund3r for helping me with this, but it still does not work:

I did it again, forcing APX mode (reset+power 3 sec)
launched v8.bat
Acer APx mode on the iconia
then v8 stuck with

Flashing bootloader: bootloader_v8.bin ...

Nvflash started
[resume mode]
Formatting partition 4 please wait.. Command Execution failed cmd 13, error 0x12
FAILED!
command failure: format partition failed (bad command)
bootloader status: unknown operation (code: 1) message: flags: 0

Nvflash started
[resume mode]

Try booting back into Android rooted. Then use the Flash Tool but allow it to save your BCT

FredFFF

Apr 19, 2010
geek01.com
Try booting back into Android rooted. Then use the Flash Tool but allow it to save your BCT

Ok thanks, by flash tool,you mean your flash tool?
I will try again as soon as I have access to a windows pc (in 2 weeks...)
Thanks again , I'll keep you posted asap.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

X f

Blackthund3r, I am deeply thankfull for your trying to help me.
Finaly found a windows pc...
Using blackthund3r apx flash utility, dump bct, chose this bct,then flashing
But stuck on
«entering download mode bootloader...»
Green progress bar stopped at 10% or so...
Any idea???

WhatMeWorry

Jan 11, 2010
Great Guide - Thank you

Thanks for taking the time to put the guide(s) and instructions together.

Worked like a charm for me. I had previously flashed to an ASUS-based ROM which I liked a lot but it was time to upgrade to ICS. I did have to flash back to a version of an Acer A500 ROM before the APX Updater would actually recognize the device and update the Bootloader from 3.01.

But other than that the instructions were dead on and it was a piece of cake; The ROM works great.

Thanks for everyone's hard work on this.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Ok thanks, by flash tool,you mean your flash tool?
I will try again as soon as I have access to a windows pc (in 2 weeks...)
Thanks again , I'll keep you posted asap.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

X f
Blackthund3r, I am deeply thankfull for your trying to help me.
Finaly found a windows pc...
Using blackthund3r apx flash utility, dump bct, chose this bct,then flashing
But stuck on
«entering download mode bootloader...»
Green progress bar stopped at 10% or so...
Any idea???

if u previously had partition errors and now apxflash is hanging then you will need to use timmydeansv4 -
it will take u back to a HC 3.2.1 pre-rooted with cwm, reset your partitions and wipe all your data -
(theres a d/l link to tdv4 in my cpuid thread, use jazzyjames method to rollback)

For others using nvFlash
after entering yr sbk the very next window that should pop up is this one,
picture.php

it shows yr chip uid and other system info,
IF you dont see this "System Info" and it jumps straight to this one:
picture.php

STOP!!!!do not, I repeat, do not press anything on your keyboard, disconnect yr cable, power off yr tab then 'X' out of the command window - if you accidentally hit the keyboard the flash will go ahead and you'll get a 'partitioning' error and need to reset via tdv4 or worse get stuck in apx mode - black screen pwr lite on - which isnt as easily fixed...

Reactions: FredFFF

blackthund3r

Feb 27, 2012
London
if u previously had partition errors and now apxflash is hanging then you will need to use timmydeansv4 -
it will take u back to a HC 3.2.1 pre-rooted with cwm, reset your partitions and wipe all your data -
(theres a d/l link to tdv4 in my cpuid thread, use jazzyjames method to rollback)

For others using nvFlash
after entering yr sbk the very next window that should pop up is this one,
picture.php

it shows yr chip uid and other system info,
IF you dont see this "System Info" and it jumps straight to this one:
picture.php

STOP!!!!do not, I repeat, do not press anything on your keyboard, disconnect yr cable, power off yr tab then 'X' out of the command window - if you accidentally hit the keyboard the flash will go ahead and you'll get a 'partitioning' error and need to reset via tdv4 or worse get stuck in apx mode - black screen pwr lite on - which isnt as easily fixed...
If this doesn't work it is possible that his has a bad memory block which is bad news.

Reactions: FredFFF

Raptor.X

Jul 20, 2008
Paris
Hello again everyone,

I'm currently running on ICS patched bootloader V8 + Thor's CWM + Moscow Desire's Evil Alex, and I would like to return to a Honeycomb Stock ROM.

The problem is, if I follow your OP's procedure, I will flash a Honeycomb bootloader but will have my tablet with a HC bootloader and an ICS ROM, since I would not have had the time to change it.

I thought of this: what if I wipe my ROM before rolling back my bootloader? Well, the problem in this case will be that I might not have CWM upon doing so to flash a Honeycomb ROM afterwards. Am I wrong?

By the way, can I use EUUS instead of the procedure in OP? I read on tegraowners.com that it's supposed to be only used as last resort, so I'm reluctant...

Sorry if I already asked this before, I don't remember. ^^

meduza

May 27, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Samsung Galaxy S6
Hi, ReptorX,,

but when you return to the HC boot loader - for example using afterota - you have to flash the update.zip which brings you the stock ROM (HC 3.0.1). The flash procedure has to be done by pressing vol-/power button becouse there will be no CWM after downgrading.
m.

Reactions: Raptor.X

Raptor.X

Jul 20, 2008
Paris
Thanks for the reply, but it seemed to me that AfterOTA works only on Stock ROMs, and I'm currently using MD's Evil Alex so I suppose I should not use it. Am I wrong?
By the way, where can I get a valid update.zip file?

meduza

May 27, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Samsung Galaxy S6
For me AFTEROTA worked with Civato`s and with TEGRAOWNERS ROM too... . But maybe it does not always... .

In AFTEROTA in the downgrading section there are links to the update.zip. If it doesn't work I could send you a private link.

m.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Hello again everyone,

I'm currently running on ICS patched bootloader V8 + Thor's CWM + Moscow Desire's Evil Alex, and I would like to return to a Honeycomb Stock ROM.

The problem is, if I follow your OP's procedure, I will flash a Honeycomb bootloader but will have my tablet with a HC bootloader and an ICS ROM, since I would not have had the time to change it.

I thought of this: what if I wipe my ROM before rolling back my bootloader? Well, the problem in this case will be that I might not have CWM upon doing so to flash a Honeycomb ROM afterwards. Am I wrong?
running the v8 bootloader on an HC rom wont hurt - in fact JudgM3ntal has returned to stock doing just that!! and I confirm it worked for me

Get hold of a stock HC 3.1 a501 rom zip and flash it - the 3,1 BL isnt locked down like 3.2 once back at 3.1 take the OTA to 3.2 once thats done you will have stock recovery and stock rom - and you can OTA to ICS
admittedly we both have a500's but i see no reason why it wont work for the a501!!!
By the way, can I use EUUS instead of the procedure in OP? I read on tegraowners.com that it's supposed to be only used as last resort, so I'm reluctant...

Sorry if I already asked this before, I don't remember. ^^
hehehe yes it can be a bit like that m8......
THe EUU process is fairly straightforward and takes about 10 mins - shorter than what it does to download - Its a last resort cos it wipes all your data, requires yr cpuid and a pc with working adb - JudgM3NT4Ls method can be done from your tab - i would say tho the only problem that you may run into is not getting the OTA to get to stock 3.2 but all wont be lost as youll still have cwm and fastboot

the EUU and stock roms are in vaches thread if the links are down which they may be cos acer has taken some of the roms offline - im sure someone in the 501rom thread can help you out :)

EDIT: I could only find this stock rom:

Acer_A501_1.309.02_COM_GEN1 d/l link

and an EUU:

EUU_SBK_Acer_A501_0.017.01_PA_ATTd/l link here

both from blackthund3rs rom thread here

unrar the file and extract - rename to update.zip if it isnt already
if u get an error extracting then you need to decrypt the file first using the decrypter tool from herehttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1099673 You may get an alert from your av about the zip, its a false positve - my pc suffered no ill affects and no-one else has reported any either:)

As you can see, getting the info and download links is the hardest and most time consuming part of the whole thing (heck, it took me half an hour and i knew what to look for and where to look for it!!!) - but now its all done for you ..aint i nice:)

Last edited:

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Ok, so I'm on Alexandra 3 and I want to flash the latest ics version, catch is i have no pc...
So how do I do all this bootloader upgrade and flashing business from my tab itself?? Thanks :D
Sent from my A501 using XDA Premium HD app

U can flash a rom via yr tab in cwm
U can also flash a kernel this way too
U can also flash a higher version of the BL if u already have v4+
But for the first time install of the patched BL you need to do it via PC, windows or linux

YeeP

Jul 27, 2011
Quote:
WHAT IS THIS V8UNLOCKED multi ICS BOOTLOADER

You can install the ICS bootloader using cwm if you are on V4 or V5 , see in this link for the updates and cwm packages.

Civato, I followed your link to here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1619913

Which then led me to here:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22923662&postcount=9

I am very confused at this point. I am on the
HC bootloader version 3.01
CWM rev1.3.4
FLEXREAPER-RF1_Acer_AV041_A500_1.031_033_041/00_CUS_WW_GEN1

I would like to step to this, but I cannot find the place to d/l the "Patched Bootloader V8: (07/06/2012)". I don't see the link in your post, I don't see it in the boot loader post. What am I missing here?

Eventually I would like to get to the [ROM]ICS 4.0.3 FLEXREAPER-RELIX_rev6/ 4.0.4 ICS RE-FLEXxx-STRYKER/ (13-Aug-2012)3GUSB, but damn, I can't even start on step one of your don't be a chicken guide. :( :eek:

Any help would be much appreciated.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
What am I missing here?...

but damn, I can't even start on step one of your don't be a chicken guide. :( :eek:

Any help would be much appreciated.

I know its hard not to jump in and start flashing!! but what u need to do is start from the beginning of the guide. Option 2
If u don't do the steps in the order they are listed, you will end up with a bricked tab.
Civ has done it this way so you will have all the info you need to successfully flash the patched bootloader:)

You'll need your cpuid first and from there your SBK.
You'll need the acer and android drivers installed - as well as the rom you wish to use on your micro sd card....This all has to be done before attempting the flash. These are STeps 1-4.

Then you're ready to attempt Step 6 - take your time and just work thru the steps one at a time and all will be revealed!!!

YeeP

Jul 27, 2011
I know its hard not to jump in and start flashing!! but what u need to do is start from the beginning of the guide. Option 2
If u don't do the steps in the order they are listed, you will end up with a bricked tab.
Civ has done it this way so you will have all the info you need to successfully flash the patched bootloader:)

You'll need your cpuid first and from there your SBK.
You'll need the acer and android drivers installed - as well as the rom you wish to use on your micro sd card....This all has to be done before attempting the flash. These are STeps 1-4.

Then you're ready to attempt Step 6 - take your time and just work thru the steps one at a time and all will be revealed!!!

Will do, thanks for the response. :cowboy:

yazyazoo

Oct 24, 2009
I am stuck at Step 2 of flashing the tablet.

I was on Thor Rom before for ICS with HC bootloader. I wanted to go to a stock rom by Civato so I took a nandroid first, then flashed the zip with Civato stock and deod rom. Then I flashed for HC bootloader and everything worked but felt it was sluggish.

I decided I wanted to try to get to ICS bootloader. I got the CPU ID from the nandroid I took from Thor's ICS rom with HC bootloader with uid.txt. I have a number like 0x04934048.

I enter that in the tool to get my SBK but it say to check my CPU ID. So I remove the front 0x and just enter the numbers after the 'x' and get a SBK.

Is this where my error is? Should the CPUID include the 0x before the numbers? If so how should I get my correct CPUiD Since I am now on civato stock ICS rom with flahsed for HC bootloader?

Thanks.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
I am stuck at Step 2 of flashing the tablet.

I was on Thor Rom before for ICS with HC bootloader. I wanted to go to a stock rom by Civato so I took a nandroid first, then flashed the zip with Civato stock and deod rom. Then I flashed for HC bootloader and everything worked but felt it was sluggish.

I decided I wanted to try to get to ICS bootloader. I got the CPU ID from the nandroid I took from Thor's ICS rom with HC bootloader with uid.txt. I have a number like 0x04934048.

I enter that in the tool to get my SBK but it say to check my CPU ID. So I remove the front 0x and just enter the numbers after the 'x' and get a SBK.

Is this where my error is? Should the CPUID include the 0x before the numbers? If so how should I get my correct CPUiD Since I am now on civato stock ICS rom with flahsed for HC bootloader?

Thanks.

U have the wrong cpuid
use a500 manager / apxFlash or afterOTA to get the correct one
Read the guides in my sig how to flash and follow the steps to the letter
U r on shaky ground with what u have done already it may pay to rollback properly with timmydeans v4 its all in my cpuid thread...:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First thanks to Skrilax_CZ (unlocked bootloader) , jm77 (for his guide), strra(tools and bat file) Zatta for modded script , blackthund3r for APX flashing tool & gersma (for otatool)

You need to understand that this can brick your tablet and going back to HC roms is not possible or you need to reflash your tablet again with this
    WHAT IS THIS V8UNLOCKED multi ICS BOOTLOADER

You can install the ICS bootloader using cwm if you are on V4 or V5 , see in this link for the updates and cwm packages.

PLEASE FOLLOW TO THE LETTER AND READ TWICE , don't be drunk , don't watch sports (we are men and can only do one thing at a time), don't take advice from your wife , girlfriend or whatever you need to feel loved , this is not like shopping for a bike or car!!! This is probably the most boring thing you are going to do in your life!
    Option 1 use Afterota for A500/G100W IF YOU ARE ON OTA ICS and follow this thread
    Option 2 , keep reading.... don't be a chicken , just do it !!.​

-STEP 1=Install the USB drivers from Acer on PC ( Acer's). NOTE: If you got stuck or can't get into APX mode please make sure you reinstall the usb drivers first and you got the latest ones.
    STEP2=First before you do anything else make sure you got your "cpuid". How see Q&A , bottom of this thread.
    Or you use the Blackthun3er V0.4 APX flasher (see in the section "automated flashing tool") , this tool will give and fill in your SBK automaticly if you used it before.

-STEP 3=Now go
    to get your SBK or use this tool you find here
    -STEP 4=Make sure you got a ICS rom on your tablet to flash after you installed the ICS bootloader the first time .
    -FLEXREAPER

-LIGHTSPEED

-TABOONAY
    (with this make sure you flash the Kernel for ICS bootloader after you installed the rom , you find it in the Taboonay thread)

-ezterry ICS 1.031.00stock- full root with busybox, and more tweaks

-
    A501 Alexandra IV ICS ver 4.0.3. (for A501 users)

-FULL-STOCK-FULL-ROOT

-Or you can flash the full leaked version of 1.031.00 405MB but then you need to get root so you can delete "recovery-from-boot.p" from /system before you flash the unlocked booloader and custom recovery.
    Good time to check your SBK number , see Q&A section
    STEP 5= Going into APX mode see Q&A or use A500 manager
    STEP 6 INSTALLING ICS BOOTLOADER
    Automated flashing tool

USING blackthund3r ATX flash tool , It makes it all a little easier !

You need help on this ! Here is a walk thru!

-download the APX-FLASH-Tool & Manager

-Download one of the V8 unlocked bootloader apx flash packages combined with a recovery of your choise

V8-pubA50._public_recovery.a500apx
    V8-Thor_1.7.3_recovery.a500apx
    V8-TWRP_2.1.3_ICS_recovery.a500apx
    - Firts you do the Steps 1-2-3- 4 of the main guide !!

-1-Reboot your tablet and make sure on your tablet: "Settings" -> "Applications" -> "Development" -> "USB debugging" switch on.

-2-Now start the "A500APXFlash.exe" , the tool will start .

-3-When it askes for your SBK you need to type it in , the v0.4 APX flash tool will give your SBK automaticly !!

-4-Now you select "Use an A500 APX Flash Tool Package.(.a500apx)

-5-Select the package that you want,(you click on the right arrow to continue)

-6-Now you can select "Manual Method" or "Automatic Method". (I always pick Automatic)

-7-Click on "Enter APX Mode" (now it will do his thing)

-8-When it says "Done! press to run again" (even if it says on the bottom of the app "no apx mode devices are connected") you click on the right arrow to continue.

-It will ask if you are ready (click yes if you are)

-Let the app do his thing and wait !!!!!!
    Until it says "Done! Press and hold power to switch off then power back on!"

[FONT=&quot]Optional A500MANAGER
    What does it do : [/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]One-click APX Mode entry[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]One-click Recovery Mode entry[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]One-click fastboot entry for patched bootloaders[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Instant logcat viewer[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Instant dmesg Viewer[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Function which dumps the dmesg to a text file on the desktop[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Serial number extraction to make SBK calculation exponentially easier[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Links to ICS Root, A500 APX Flash Tool and two download links (Acer and my mirror) for USB Drivers[/FONT]
    · [FONT=&quot]Shows what mode the tablet is in at the bottom[/FONT]

BIG THANKS TO blackthund3r

Manual flashing

Open cmd (command prompt) on the extracted folder "V8-UNL-ICS-HC-bootloader-MULTI-cwm".
    (Tip how to open cmd on any folder you want
    Windows Vista/7 : Simply hold down the Shift key and right-click a folder. The context menu will contain an entry, ‘Open command window here.” )
    Or you if you extracted the folder in c:\nvflash you type in cmd "cd c:\nvflash"

-FOR A500/A501/G100W:

For the ICS bootloader and multi custom recovery's you type in cmd : v8 (enter) (or you open the folder and click on this "v8.bat")
    Now you get 4 choises of V8 with a different recovery , select one.

-TWRP recovery
    -PubA500 recovery
    -Thor1.7
    -Thor1.7.3

If for any reason you want to go back to HC bootloader:
    For the HC bootloader and recovery you type in cmd : a500-hc (enter) if you have a A500 or a G100W (or open the folder and click on this "a500-hc.bat")
    For the HC bootloader and recovery you type in cmd : a501-hc (enter) if you have a A501 (or open the folder and click on this "a501-hc.bat")

-Your SBK is asked : you put that in and press enter. (right click on cmd titlebar gives option to copy/paste it)

-The process should begin. If you recieve a USB write error, your SBK is incorrect. (Lot of stuff going on in the cmd and then it stops)

-Windows command prompt will read "Press any key when your A500/501/G100W is in APX mode". Do not continue until the tablet is in "Acer Iconia A500/501 APX Mode" (look at the screen of your tablet).

-Once the tablet reads "Acer Iconia A500/501 APX Mode", you are in bootloader mode. You can proceed and it will begin formatting the various partitions and installing the recovery.

-Once the process completes, it should say PASS (on the screen of your tablet) in big letters and in small red letters "Reboot the device" (Top left corner still says "Acer Iconia A500/501 APX Mode" that is normal) . You can then power off the tablet and power it back on again.

If you get the message = secure boot : image LNX checksum fail ! , No problem just reboot the tablet.

-Make sure your tablet boots.
    Power the tablet down and attempt to launch CWM via Power+VolDown.
    You Are on the ICS Unlocked bootloader and want to install a different CWM the easy way !
    Put it on your tablet and install with CWM

-Ezterry's BareBones Recovery :CWM-install-A500PubRecovery_v0.2.zip

-TWRP 2.1.3-ICS (touch recovery) :CWM-install-TWRP-2.1.3-ICS.zip
    (modded by civato for ICS only , no more messed up screen on booting into recovery)

-Thor 1.7 touch recovery (repacked to work on ICS) :CWM-install-recovery_thor1.7.zip

-Thor 1.7.2 Multi bootloader (HC , ICS) touch recovery :CWM-install-recovery_thor1.7.2.zip
    (But for some this doesn't work)

Q&A:
    How to get my CPUID ?

On HC Rom or HC bootloader (3.01) or you got a old nandroid backup do this to get your cpuid
    -You can find your "cpuid" in one of your "nandroidbackups" that you made with cwm (look on your external SD/clockworkmod/backup=uid.txt ). It's the uid text you are looking for.
    -Or when you connect your tablet and type in adb devices in cmd you get your cpuid
    -Or usbdeview see more info here , thanks to dibb_nz

ON ICS ROM or ICS booloader (0.3.11 or 0.3.12) do this to get your cpuid:
    Or you Install and launch Android terminal app on tablet. Run the following command: dmesg>/mnt/external_sd/dmesg.txt
    Open up dmesg.txt (will be stored on your external SD) and look for androidboot.serialno. That is your CPUID.

Or try the following to get your cpuid (thanks to japinder)
    -Reboot the Tab & just use the command 'dmesg | grep androidboot.serialno' (without quotes).
    It displays the cpuid there & then. No extra lines, no need to save to file & then search. If the Tab hasn't been rebooted in a while, then the line containing 'androidboot.serialno' entry is lost/overwritten, so it won't even be there in the 'dmesg' output. Running the above command after a fresh reboot will always yield the result in an easier way.

OR SEE GUIDE HERE , WHERE IS MY CPUID AT

Checking your SBK

Go into APK mode (step 5 or use A500 manager) and open cmd on SBK-test (download this first) folder and type in something like this:
    nvflash --bl bootloader.img --sbk (your SBK) --sync]

In my case = nvflash --bl bootloader.img --sbk 0x3DA61E00 0x7899AA01 0x97D04E03 0x1E092103 --sync (enter)

If your SBK is good you get your system information and you will see your chip uid with some more stuff.

If your SBK is wrong, you'll get this:
    rcm version 0X4
    Command send failed (usb write failed)

STOP HERE AND DON'T PROCEED if your SBK is not correct!!!!!!!!!

(Tip how to open cmd on any folder you want
    Windows Vista/7 : Simply hold down the Shift key and right-click a folder. The context menu will contain an entry, ‘Open command window here.” )

Going into APX MODE manualy

You enter APX mode by holding down the Reset button(with paper clip). Do not release it. Hold down power for 3 secs and then release it. After another second, release the reset button.
    Your Windows PC should then detect your device and install the APX driver. You should then have an APX USB device installed. If you do not have an APX USB device listed in your system tray, you cannot proceed.
    The screen of your tablet is black.

Linux users see here
    If you provide me the write up I will add it , I know nothing of linux so it is up to you.
    Finally had some time to write up on the Linux guide. It's not so much of a guide, but more pointers to the correct working linux nvflash binary and some common sense.

1. There is no need for special APX drivers! Everything works like it is.
    2. These additions to /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules might help:
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0502",ATTR{idProduct}=="3325",  MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="a500"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0955",ATTR{idProduct}=="7820",  MODE="0666"
    You need to restart udev if you added this.
    3. The working nvflash tool can be downloaded from nvidia via this link:
    http://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/mobile/files/tegra-linux-12.alpha.1.0.tar.gz
    4. If for whatever reason the above link becomes outdated, the official Linux 4 Tegra page, pointing to the latest Linux 4 Tegra tools is here:
    http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra-250-tango-development-kits
    5. Drop the nvflash binary beside the windows nvflash.exe (they won't bite) and create your own a500.sh file something like this (inspect the original a500.bat for the actual bin and image file names) depending on your needs and wishes:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    ./nvflash --bct bct.bct --setbct --bl bootloader.bin --configfile flash.cfg --odmdata 0x300d8011 --sbk 0xXXXXX 0xXXXXX 0xXXXXX 0xXXXXXX --sync
    ./nvflash -r --format_partition 4
    ./nvflash -r --download 4 ics_boot_unlk_V3.bin
    ./nvflash -r --format_partition 6
    ./nvflash -r --download 6 recovery_thor17_403.img
    ./nvflash -r --go

In APX mode, the screen is black but you should see a new usb device with the following id's with lsusb:
    Code:
    $ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0955:7820 NVidia Corp.

Hope this helps.
    Remember this line of the guide
    You can also flash the full leaked version of 1.031.00 but then you need to get root so you can delete "recovery-from-boot.p" from /system before you flash the unlocked booloader and custom recovery.

If you flashed the full leak version you need to delete
    "recovery-from-boot.p" from /system if you don't do that recovery will be replaced everytime you reboot your tablet.
    Will the cpuid ever change? I only found it on a really old Nandroid. It was blank in a more current one

Sent from my A500 using XDA
    Always test your SBK to be sure , see guide.
    Was what I was thinking , I used the uid from my first nandroid backup when it was still a PackardBell HC 3.0.1 rom from the G100W.
    But still want them to test there SBK before they complain it got stuck.