any screen protectors out?

Search This thread

Gam3r 4 Life

Mar 5, 2011
Napa, California
Ok after shopping awhile on Amazon I found a new screen protector. Didnt have any reviews so I read reviews of the same one for other devices and it sounds well worth a try. Its a wet install type but not the kind that you spray. All you do is put a few drops of dish soap in some water and use that on the SP to be able to position it, and get bubbles out. For $10 shipped its the best price Ive seen for this type. Ill post a review and pics when received and installed.

Update: Canceled the order for the Xtreme, and ordered a few of these. Will update with how these work out.

orenxda

Dec 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Not 100% satisfied with my current brando antiglare sp (disturbing rainbow pixel effect on white of that kikassuperamoled display, and bad dust bubbles i must say), i'm going to remove it for that sgp ultra optics.
First, shipping to the other side of the globe usps 1st class mail intl took less than a week.
2nd i must admit the bundle is yet the best i've purchased, sure & i used many cheap ones for my gt-p1000 during 1.5 year.
The microfiber cloth is the size of the device and will be carried daily between screen and bookcase top to wipe fingerprints.
Ill share my thoughts after install

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335549737267.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335549737267.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 172

orenxda

Dec 30, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Perfect installation.
No tab 1 front tape, as mentioned in SGP online support, just the back tape to remove.
Clean hands (dishes soap), perfectly clean screen (monitor/tv meliconi spray/cloth) in steamed bathroom, i was amazed how easy it was. just position well, lead the sp with finger diagonal produced... Just no bubbles at all. And it's woth mentioning bc all other sps ive tried needed lots of annoying stick/unstick moves as small bubbles were formed laying the sp. Not there.
So i didn't need the bubble remover provided but used it to push on/finish edges even if looked no need for it.
Now the screen rendering: awesome. Sad to compare only with brando, but can it even be compared;pointing directly the screen on a light bulb is first shocking: produces a very cool kaleidoscope effect. The touch is smooth and finger slides gently on the screen. Closer an ear doing it, and listen to microparticles whisle! Really :)
Now white is white, no rainbow pixels even half an hour after intall.
The anti glare is not as bulk as and antiglare as a cheaper one. But does the job, beeing good balance between glass clear shine and antiglare, plus a nice kaleidoscope effect.

Just to share first impression & give a thank who advised that brand here.
I thought it was expensive, but now i think my previous 14$ one was, and s.amoleds worth it. Now you could aford that device, take big care & protect it soon as your unprotected screen may have micro scratches within a week as mine.
Now lets wait&see how long it lasts.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using xda premium

rainey06au

May 3, 2010
I bought an EXiM SPOC for my HTC HD2 a couple of years ago. Its been absolutely invisible, bubble-free, yet to be scratched (either very resistant or I've been ultra careful) and has the same feel as the original glass, so I'm going to get one for my wife's brand new 7.7. I managed to get it on my phone perfectly first go using the side of a credit card, wonder how I'll go with something a bit bigger!

Would I be right to assume that the anti-glare protectors will generally produce the rainbow effect (which I've seen on my wife's Desire from a phone-shop dud-brand), whereas a clear protector will be reflective, but without any side-effects?

Last edited:

eug

Jan 15, 2007
Brisbane
Would I be right to assume that the anti-glare protectors will generally produce the rainbow effect (which I've seen on my wife's Desire from a phone-shop dud-brand), whereas a clear protector will be reflective, but without any side-effects?

As mentioned previously (and in the post just above yours in fact ;), anti-glare screen protectors will generally produce the rainbow effect - EXCEPT the SGP Ultra Optics. No rainbow effect there.

There are also three types of clear protectors - wet-install, dry-install, and cheap crap.

The wet-install ones are tough but feel rubbery and not smooth. You can often see marks left behind by indents, like if you dug into it with your fingernail.

The dry-install clear ones are the ones that feel like glass. But only the good ones.

The cheap crap is just horrible. They're the $3 for 3 type deals you get on ebay, and come in both anti-glare and clear. They make the screen look bad, bubble up easily, and just don't last. Go for something like an SGP Ultra Crystal (it's a dry install type) if you want a good clear one.

Ernthelfer

Apr 12, 2012
Rheinfelden

jonamafun

Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
So I put my SGP Ultra Optics on my 7.7 today and it is very nice. The comments above are pretty accurate.

I've always preferred matt screen protectors but detested the rainbow effect that many of them produce.

The Ultra Optics has none of the rainbow effect. But having said that, it is obviously not as clear as the Ultra Crystal - or any clear screen protector for that matter. On the flip side it is perhaps not as 'smooth' as say a PowerSupport matte protector for an iPhone. But still quite good none the less.

It is pretty much a hybrid clear/matte protector.

But for the added convenience of much less glare and reflections it's definitely worth it imo.

Maverick777

May 16, 2008
Anyone get the SGP Ultra Crystal? I have the Ultra Nano installed on my Galaxy S III and love it. It's much better than my Skinomi protector on the Tab 7.7. I want to check if anyone has the Ultra Crystal on the Tab 7.7 before I purchase it.

Even though the Skinomi protector is supposed to be self-healing, it has a bunch of pot marks that won't disappear and ripples from the original installation using the squeegee to remove the application solution. It doesn't have any scratches, but it looks pretty terrible with the screen off and it doesn't feel nearly as good as the Ultra Nano.

XDSaint

Apr 18, 2012
Anyone get the SGP Ultra Crystal? I have the Ultra Nano installed on my Galaxy S III and love it. It's much better than my Skinomi protector on the Tab 7.7. I want to check if anyone has the Ultra Crystal on the Tab 7.7 before I purchase it.

Even though the Skinomi protector is supposed to be self-healing, it has a bunch of pot marks that won't disappear and ripples from the original installation using the squeegee to remove the application solution. It doesn't have any scratches, but it looks pretty terrible with the screen off and it doesn't feel nearly as good as the Ultra Nano.

I've been using SGP ultra crystal line on all of my devices for a long time. I got it on my 7.7 since release and it's still going strong. It's really like not having anything on. The camera and speaker cutouts are perfect as well. Since it's a clear protector and not matte, it does require a wipe down more often but still worth it.

nephridium

Jul 31, 2012
SGP Ultra Optics

Got the Ultra Optics yesterday.

Pros:
Fingerprints virtually invisible (only under bright light when screen is off), no smudges visible while in use
Reflectivity half way between traditional clear and matte (can still see a slightly blurred lower contrast reflection of my face when screen is off)
No negative impact on screen resolution

Cons:
Taps with dry finger tips are sometimes registered a few millimeters off, very annoying when editing text
Screen brightness reduced noticeably, had my screen brightness pegged to 30% indoors, now it's 38%
Weird sound and feel, as if running over low Denier nylon (less "tacky" than clear protectors though)

I also got the Ultra Nano Clear for my SGS3 yesterday, fingerprint buildup doesn't seem too bad, with none of aforementioned cons.

Last edited:

666Shadow

Sep 24, 2012
i would recomend you a complete hull for better protection.

i use my tab for 3 month now and dont have any scratch on the display without a screen protection foil.

i use a hull from tinxi for 12 € (very cheap but does its work)

mukenukem

Jan 29, 2011
i would recomend you a complete hull for better protection.

i use my tab for 3 month now and dont have any scratch on the display without a screen protection foil.

i use a hull from tinxi for 12 € (very cheap but does its work)

The pro for a screen-protector: If it is antireflective, you can use it way better in a car for navigation or outdoors. That is the reason why I have one on my Note.

allan0102

Sep 20, 2010
Ebay screen protectors

I use an Ebay glossy screen protector I bought for around $1.
Works alright, pretty clear when the screen is on, but when its off you can see like this rainbow shade on the screen. Not noticeable though when the screens on, and works great!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just ordered a Brando. Ive been using the wet install for awhile now with mixed results. So Im looking forward to an easy install. And I love the fact that if you mess up, or get something under the screen you can take it off, wash it, and try again!! Wasted a lot of money on wet install mistakes.
    Just ordered a Brando. Ive been using the wet install for awhile now with mixed results. So Im looking forward to an easy install. And I love the fact that if you mess up, or get something under the screen you can take it off, wash it, and try again!! Wasted a lot of money on wet install mistakes.

I have a Brando and its awesome. Crystal Clear and the install was very simple and no bubbles at all during install.
    I just found that zagg actually does make one for the 7.7. Here it is. Just ordered 2, and used discount code. Total with priority shipping was $32.31, less than getting 2 skinomi's from Amazon.
    I will definitely write a review once I get it. I ordered 2 based on A LOT of wet install experience with Zagg, Skinomi, and Armor Shields. I am a over the top perfectionist when it comes to screen protectors, so if there is ANY flaw it irritates me. And I know how hard it can be to get it to what I consider perfect. And if I had to order these based on best to worst it would be 1) Zagg 2) Skinomi 3) Armor Shield. Anyway like I said Ill write a review with my install experience and final outcome once I get them. And the discount code I used was a 25% off coupon that I looked up on google. I cant remember what it was. Something like OZ*****, but anyway I know that "FBFANS25" gets the same discount of 25%. And if you want to look up other discounts and see if they work here and here are the pages I used to find one. Hope this helps.
    UPDATE: Ok I received my Zaggs and installed them, so heres my review. Like the poster above I also received them in a generic cardboard tube, with Zagg, liquid spray, and squeegee, no lint free cloth or instructions. Dont need the instructions, and have several lint free cloths from other kits.

Like I said in my previous post I ordered 2, and I am SO glad I did. The first install was a disaster. The first thing I noticed was that when I peeled the Zagg away from the backing that the cutout for the earpiece and camera lens wasnt properly cut so it stayed on the Zagg. This made aligning it, and getting it to go on right difficult. So I had to pull those out during the critical part of the install where the Zagg is pulled off the backing. So I learned the hard way what to do on the next attempt. After I was finally done there were lots of bubbles that would not go away, and trust me I waited several days. I think it was defective because the 2nd one went on perfect.

For the 2nd install I did the shower trick which really does help. I took the kit, lint free cloths, several paper towels, and obviously the tablet into the bathroom. Ran the shower until it was steamed up good, then turned off the hot water. Waited for the steam to settle (which weighs down dust and particles and reduces general floaties that seem to love the these type of screens), ;) then started the install.

I had left the 1st Zagg on even though it looked terrible just to keep the screen clean. Learning from the first install I remembered to remove the cutouts this time before pulling of the Zagg. I then removed the old Zagg, cleaned the screen lint free cloth and plain water that I had in one of the old spray bottles. Then sprayed my hands well, and the screen lightly. This time to try to avoid a lot of bubbles and fluid I pulled just the top of the backing off, placed it on the screen, and lined up the holes. This was the most tricky part. Because of the fluid it was easy to align, but also because of the fluid it kept sliding around. So what I did was use one finger to hold it in place, then with the other hand use the squeegee to push it down, getting air, and fluid out as I went, and just kept peeling a little more off the backing as I went until it was all the way on.

After it was on I tried to get as many bubbles and fluid out as possible. I dont know if this was just the Zaggs that I received, or if others noticed this too, but on mine the cut of the Zagg itself seems just a little off. What I mean is that if you align the Zagg up perfectly with the cutouts at the top, then it sits further to the left than it does to the right. Theres more of a gap on the right side, and the left goes all the way to the edge, coming very close to overlapping which would not be good because then it wouldnt set properly. I noticed this on both that I did. Its not a big deal, just something I noticed.

Ive taken pictures to document that if you install it right that the bubbles and fluid do go away. And this is why I knew that the first install was bad because the bubbles I had didnt change, and still looked terrible the next few days. Anyway the first pic is about a 1/2 hour after install, and the 2nd is about 19 hours later. You will see a drastic improvement between the 2. Ill add the final picture tomorrow.

If your reading this and thinking that it seems difficult it definitely can be. And this is why I dont hate on the poster above that had Best Buy do it. It can be difficult, especially the first time. Ive installed at least 10 of these type, using Zaggs, Skinomi, and Armor Shields, and I still find it hard to do. Mainly because I am a perfectionist and if I see any dust or defects it really bothers me, this is why I do the shower trick. It really does help. Anyway hope this helps and/ or informs someone what to expect if they go with a wet install type. And if you do I recommend Zagg first, then Skinomi, and I dont recommend Armor Shield.

UPDATE: Final Pic added. No bubbles, no fluid, I was even very lucky and was able to get 2 small pieces of fuzz out the day after it was installed. Not easy, but worth it. Now I dont have to keep looking at those spots and wish I would have fixed it.