{Official thread} New lockscreen.. Questions?

Search This thread

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
So here it is, been meaning to do this for a while but I've been so busy....

First of all, the credits for the new lockscreen go to two people.

JDWME -- Came to me with the idea of building a lockscreen for a theme of his, and as a result JDWME pretty much designed the look of the lockscreen, meaning the layout. So if you like how it looks, you can thanks him for that. He is the designer, so to speak.

Stericson --- If JDWME is the designer then I am the Architect. I took the images from JDWME and the idea of what he wanted and built it. It took me well over a month to do this. I dont have alot of timke for Android with school, family, and work....so you may see why it took so long.... I also implemented features of my own such as the fade in and out animations and the settings panel.

JDWME will continue to have a large influence in this lockscreen design as I consider him to be a partner in all of this.

Others who have contributed to the lockscreen: MoonsSpoon (Text shadow, makes text stand out on lockscreen), Manup465 (suggested having two different images for the docks instead of one)

Moving on...

One of the most important things I want to point out is as follows: If you flash a theme with our lockscreen you wont be able to simply switch to another theme without the lockscreen without having to reflash a full update...

Why, do you ask?

Well, I'll tell ya....The themes that have our lockscreen have 4-5 files in theme for the lockscreen to work. These files include, Settings.apk, framework.jar, framework-res.apk, services.jar, and android.policy.jar.

Most other themes only contain, at most, framework-res.apk and services.jar. So when you flash this other theme without the lockscreen, my android.policy.jar is looking for things inside of framework-res.apk that are not there annnnnd you get a bunch of problems.

What can I do about this?

What you can do is pull these files out of the full update and flash them back to your phone is going back to a theme without our lockscreen. Then your issue will be resolved...just make sure you do this in recovery.

What else?

Until Cyan puts this in his build I cannot make this perfectly compatible with his build. Mostly because it is difficult to absolutely replicate his source. This means that the video controls not working, will remain that way until he officially releases the lockscreen in his build, which he has made announcements that he would but again it is his build and it is his choice whether or not he does so and when he will do so....

Anything Else?

If there are any other questions about the lockscreen or things you might think are occuring because of the new lockscreen, please post them here.

Also, I always, always update my twitter on things first. Its just the fastest way I can get information out to people. If you would like to know this information when it becomes available, please visit my twitter and follow me so you can be notified when these updates are made.

www.Twitter.com/Stericson

Lastly, In the next post, at a future date, I will share information on how to do some advanced tweaks/tricks to the lockscreen, mainly for theme devs who want to make it a bit more different.

Thanks for your support guys/gals,
Stericson

Source for the lockscreen can be found at: www.GitHub.com/Stericson
I support anyone building onto this project and advancing it in any way.

Last edited:

jonnybueno

Jan 26, 2009
50th
Thank you stericson, you've done so much for android theming. Can't wait to see what new features you will be adding!

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
If you are running 4.0.4 just pull services.jar, framework.jar, framework-res.apk, and android.policy.jar. All of these go into /system/framework. Also, pull settings.apk and put it into /system/app. then you should be good to go.

Also, it doesnt matter to me whos you use...Let me clarify, when I say JDWME was the designer I mean the icons being at the bottom, the clock and date being at the top, etc.

While other themers may theme it and make it look different, it will still retain JDWME's layout that he chose to use for the lockscreen.

Regards,
Stericson

prash

Feb 7, 2009
Philadelphia
This thread should be stickied since there are both themes with new lockscreens and themes without, and chances are people will flash without reading about what they're flashing. So it will be easier to point them to this thread and let them know what to do if they run into problems.

Thanks Stericson for all the awesome contributions since day 1! Great job on the lockscreen too.

imbonez9

May 18, 2009
La, Cali!!!
Question n hopefully i don't get flamed since having to do with this lock screen. Has the music been fixed or is there already a thread talking about that, that i have missed? Sorry if there was

But yes like Prash said please sticky this

ganny

Feb 10, 2009
Question n hopefully i don't get flamed since having to do with this lock screen. Has the music been fixed or is there already a thread talking about that, that i have missed? Sorry if there was

The music hasn't been fixed, it still says "Music controller, work in progress!" I can't wait for the music control to happen, I've been longing for it for a while, as someone who uses his phone regularly (~3 hours a day) to listen to music. I even dabbled with Hero for the lock-screen music controls, but Hero was just far too slow.

And thanks Stericson for your hard work and opening this thread - I've been searching for a thread like this for a while.

iCe87

Aug 15, 2009
Hello stericson!!for first,thanks you for all your great works!!!...but i have two questions:
1)the battery in the lock screen is moved to the left..what can i do for changing battery position??
2)the message icon in the lock screen is inactive..it is normal??

excuse for my english and thank you again!

SteveTilsed

May 28, 2009
Thanks Stericson! Love it! one quick question,

Do you know if this is regarding your lock screen or specific themes. When receiving calls it current stays on the lock screen so i am unable to see who is calling unless i press menu first. This is ok normally however is rather annoying when catching a call late and having to enter a call blind so to speak.

Thanks again and some more top work!

jubeh

Mar 15, 2009
good work. I do have a concern though. There's a lot of files involved, and this kind of renders the lockscreen usable only for the framework version it was designed for, since further changes (or backwards compatibility) could pose a problem. Do you think it would be possible to have the android.policy instead call on a separate program and launch a custom lockscreen, making it, thus, slightly more modular. Cyanogen's builds are a moving target and, though his framework hasn't changed much lately, i do feel it's going to be useless once he gets more work into donut and abandons cupcake for good.

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
Hello stericson!!for first,thanks you for all your great works!!!...but i have two questions:
1)the battery in the lock screen is moved to the left..what can i do for changing battery position??
2)the message icon in the lock screen is inactive..it is normal??

excuse for my english and thank you again!

I need screenshots of your battery position...In the newest updates the battery should always be centered, make sure you have the newest updates...

The last icon, undetermined yet what it will be, is inactive.

As for the problem with the lockscreen not unlocking when a call comes in, this is not a lockscreen problem, rather it is a problem with my status bar mod. I believe I may have found a bug in Googles code....Still looking into it...

Also, this will still be good for donut. Cyan is going to implement this into his source and it will be available on all builds there on. As for making a custom app for the lockscreen, calling a method in android.policy.jar... It would still require changes being made to these files which would have to be done on every rom, and it would still be rom specific...so it wouldnt solve anything...I have provided my source so this can be put into other builds....

Stericson

blacjac17

Jul 11, 2009
Do to your tough schedule do you expect another month or so for the music control and the undecided icon to be updated

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
I can't say...I'm sorry...this is why I made the source available...maybe someone could do it faster then me?

Stericson

iCe87

Aug 15, 2009
I need screenshots of your battery position...In the newest updates the battery should always be centered, make sure you have the newest updates...

screen4s.png

thanks you for the answer...in this screenshot u can see the battery position and the sms icon (that appears decentralized)

thanks again..