Tutorial: How To Protect and Restore Root (4.2.2 Pre-Camera Update Only)

Did this method help you keep root?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
This tutorial will explain how to protect and restore root for the OTA update.

Disclaimer: If you wish to keep root, DO NOT accept the OTA Update before running through these steps. PwnMyMoto will not work after updating since bug 9695860 (2nd Master Key) was patched. I am not responsible if this bricks your phone. Use at your own risk.

First I would like to thank JCase. If it wasn't for his original root method this would not be possible.

Prerequisites:
Moto X
A data cable (one that came with the phone woks fine)
Root - Grab JCase's program PwnMyMoto from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2444957
ADB & Fastboot (attached to post if anyone needs it)
RSDlite - Can find it here: http://www.4shared.com/rar/HkfWKoC5/RSD_Lite_615__MTK_Patch.html
SuperSU (in playstore, can't guarantee other Superuser programs can restore root)
SUPERCURIO's OTA RootKeeper or equivalent root keeper program (in playstore)
FXZ file for your carrier - Can be found here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/ghost_rcica/list.php

Steps to Restore Root:
1. Make sure that there are no modifications to the system files. If there are the update will fail to flash. There are two way to go about this. You can flash back to stock using the FXZ for your carrier and rsdlite or fastboot (whichever you prefer) or remove the modifications if you know what they are. If you just removed all mods then skip to step 3.

Note: If you use rsdlite to flash back to stock remember to remove the getvar command from the xml file. If you use fastboot to flash back to stock use the following post as a reference how:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45809324&postcount=3

2. Now you will need to install PwnMyMoto and then run it. After 2-3 reboots you should be rooted.

3. Make sure you install SuperSU and OTA RootKeeper.

4. Shutdown your Moto X. Then hold the power and down volume keys for about 5 seconds to boot into the bootloader. Scroll down with the down volume key to recovery and press the up volume key. You will be booted into android with write protection disabled.

5. Open up SuperSU. If it asks you to update the binary update it. You are going to want to make sure Survival mode is checked.

6. Open OTA RootKeeper. Grant it superuser rights and click Protect Root. It will save a backup of su. After that click Temp. un-root (keeps backup). This will hide root on your device.

7. Next we are going to flash the stock recovery. You will need fastboot, a command prompt and the stock recovery.img. For the recovery,img you can either grab the backup (recovery-stock.img) that is saved to the root of your device or you can grab the one from your carrier's FXZ. If you use the recovery from the FXZ you should also grab boot.img since we are going to be using it later. So unzip the fastboot files into a folder that you can easily locate. I placed it in C:\ for easy reference. Make sure your recovery and boot.img are in the same folder.

8. Now shutdown your Moto X and boot into the bootloader as we did in step 4. Open your command prompt by going to your start menu clicking run and typing cmd.exe (for windows 8 just use the search in the start screen and search for cmd under apps). This will bring up the command prompt. Now we need to change the directory to the folder you placed the fastboot and recovery files in. To do this type in
Code:
cd C:\ (example: cd C:\fastboot)
9. Make sure you connect your phone to you computer via your data cable and that all the moto drivers are installed. Windows will usually automatically detect them. Once your connected and set to got we are going to type the following command into the command prompt:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (replace recovery.img with recovery-stock.img if you pulled the backup from you device).
Don't exit the command prompt. We will be using it again shortly.

10. So now you are ready to take the OTA Update. Boot your phone up by either choosing Normal Powerup or using the following fastboot command:
Code:
fastboot reboot
Once rebooted flash the OTA Update.

11. Your phone will reboot into recovery for the flash. Once it is complete it will boot up like normal and optimize any changes made to the system. Once this is done SuperSU will try to automatically restore root, but will fail due to booting with write protection enabled. This is where boot.img comes into play

12. Shutdown your Moto X and boot into the bootloader again. Make sure to connect your phone to your computer via you data cable if you disconnected it after flashing recovery. Bring up your command prompt and type the following command:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery boot.img
This will allow you to reboot into android with write protection disabled by hijacking the recovery like JCase did with his original exploit.

13. Now boot into recovery from the bootloader. Once you are booted back up SuperSU will now be able to restore root automatically.

The next set of steps will show you how to pull the new boot.img from your phone so you can flash it to the recovery partition so there are no issues caused by using the old boot.img. These steps are completely optional. If you are uncomfortable doing this I recommend waiting for the fxz file for the update to be released to get the new boot.img.
Note: ADB is required to do this. It is now included with the fastboot files attached to this post.

14. After root access is restored you are going to go back to your command prompt. Type the following commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=dev/block/mmcblk0p33 of=/mnt/sdcard/boot.img
exit
exit
adb pull mnt/sdcard/boot.img
This will save a copy of the boot.img to the root of your phone and then save it to the directory that your fastboot and adb is in.

15. Now we are going to boot back into the booloader. Refer to step 4 for a reference how. Once booted into the bootloader type the following commands into the command prompt:
Code:
Now whenever you boot into recovery your phone will load with the new kernel and you should not have any more issues.

These next set of steps will allow you to fix the issue of the baseband failing to update during the OTA update.

16. If your baseband didn't update with the OTA then you will need to grab the FXZ of the update. Unzip the file NON-HLOS.bin and place it in the folder that contains fastboot.

17. Bring up your command prompt and and type the following commands
Code:
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
Now your baseband will be up to date.

Attachments

• ADB_fastboot.rar
    666.8 KB · Views: 5,699
Last edited:

capathy21

Jul 10, 2011
Pineville,La
Thanks so much for this! Quick question. If I am completely stock (never rooted this device before) I can start on step 2 correct?

Sent from my White Moto X

mmad81

Nov 1, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm receiving my Verizon moto x tomorrow so if I read this right I don't except the update, root the moto x continue with these steps, and we will continue to receive updates and maintain root?

capathy21

Jul 10, 2011
Pineville,La
Yup. Step 1 is only for those that have already rooted and have modded the system files.

Thanks! One last question I promise. Can I go ahead and go through the process up to step 10 that way I'll be ready when the ota comes, or should I wait till the ota comes then begin the process?

I've always rooted and flashed updates on past devices so I'm not real familiar with ota's and don't want to take it before I'm able to run this process.

Thanks in advance!

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
Thanks! One last question I promise. Can I go ahead and go through the process up to step 10 that way I'll be ready when the ota comes, or should I wait till the ota comes then begin the process?

I've always rooted and flashed updates on past devices so I'm not real familiar with ota's and don't want to take it before I'm able to run this process.

Thanks in advance!

Yup. You could do that.

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
I'm receiving my Verizon moto x tomorrow so if I read this right I don't except the update, root the moto x continue with these steps, and we will continue to receive updates and maintain root?

It should work on Verizon when they release an update. I can't say this will work for future updates or even for 4.3 when it comes around, but for this round of updates it will work to keep root.

mj0528

Feb 10, 2011
Austin, Tx
It should work on Verizon when they release an update. I can't say this will work for future updates or even for 4.3 when it comes around, but for this round of updates it will work to keep root.

what has been the success rate of this? I'm surprised more haven't jumped on this! Why are so many trying to unroot to get the camera update?

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
what has been the success rate of this? I'm surprised more haven't jumped on this! Why are so many trying to unroot to get the camera update?

I thought this method would work when I saw the T-Mobile update come out, but couldn't test it myself until 2 days ago. That's why I released a tutorial last night. For those unroofing to get the update, they were told prior to the release of the tutorial that they will lose root and have to return to stock to run the update. As for success rate I'm not sure how many have successfully done this and kept root. I'll add a poll to get an idea.

Sent from My Moto X

rmead01

Sep 6, 2012
I thought this method would work when I saw the T-Mobile update come out, but couldn't test it myself until 2 days ago. That's why I released a tutorial last night. For those unroofing to get the update, they were told prior to the release of the tutorial that they will lose root and have to return to stock to run the update. As for success rate I'm not sure how many have successfully done this and kept root. I'll add a poll to get an idea.

Sent from My Moto X

I'm ready to go. Un froze all my apps and just waiting for ATT to push my update. Anything special I have to do to get the OTA or is it just a slow roll out? Also, do I need the default recovery to see the OTA, or will I see the OTA before I change anything to prepare for it?

Last edited:

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
I'm ready to go. Un froze all my apps and just waiting for ATT to push my update. Anything special I have to do to get the OTA or is it just a slow roll out?

Right now the AT&T version is still in a soak test. A soak test can usually go for 3-7 day. After that there will be an official release. Just need to hang tight until the release. As of right now the saok has been going for about 2 1/2 days.

rmead01

Sep 6, 2012
Right now the AT&T version is still in a soak test. A soak test can usually go for 3-7 day. After that there will be an official release. Just need to hang tight until the release. As of right now the saok has been going for about 2 1/2 days.

Gotcha. Thought a bunch of people were saying they had the ATT OTA rolling out. Maybe I just misread and it was tmobile or something. I've never actually done an OTA update on any of my android phones. Always running a custom software, so I'm not 100% sure what needs to be setup correctly on the phone to receive it.

As of now, all system files are stock except for the hosts file which is modified from adfree. All apps on the phone are unfrozen and in their default from the store state. I still have the writable system recovery installed because I wasn't going to install the default recovery until I was absolutely ready to flash the OTA. I may still need root until then.

jayboyyyy

Oct 26, 2012

do you have to wait on the official release for this too work? I know some people are putting the soak test build which is most likely the official release on their phone and upgrading from the stock recovery. Basically manually taking the OTA in case I explained that weird. Can you still use your method of keeping root by manually taking the OTA? I am on verizon so I will most likely be manually upgrading when the soak test comes out assuming I can still keep root.

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
do you have to wait on the official release for this too work? I know some people are putting the soak test build which is most likely the official release on their phone and upgrading from the stock recovery. Basically manually taking the OTA in case I explained that weird. Can you still use your method of keeping root by manually taking the OTA? I am on verizon so I will most likely be manually upgrading when the soak test comes out assuming I can still keep root.

The soak test versions usually end up as the official version. It is rare for a soak test version to not make it to official unless there are detrimental problems discovered during the soak. You can flash the OTA manually and use this method to keep root.

Reactions: jayboyyyy

docslate

Nov 3, 2010

Just to confirm. Will this work on Droid Maxx? I haven't purchased yet, but root and tethering ability are very important to me. Also, does anybody know where Verizon is on the OTA schedule for the Maxx?

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
Just to confirm. Will this work on Droid Maxx? I haven't purchased yet, but root and tethering ability are very important to me. Also, does anybody know where Verizon is on the OTA schedule for the Maxx?

I would think it should work for the Maxx too, but I can't be sure until someone with a Maxx tests it. My sister just got the Ultra while she was on vacation. She'll be home this weekend. I'll see if she would let me play with her phone.

mj0528

Feb 10, 2011
Austin, Tx
ready for the OTA and I'll give it a go

so what would the rsdlite to default look like if we took the OTA but then wanted to go back to complete stock one day. Would the rsdlite work since the OTA is installed?

Last edited:

jayboyyyy

Oct 26, 2012
ready for the OTA and I'll give it a go

so what would the rsdlite to default look like if we took the OTA but then wanted to go back to complete stock one day. Would the rsdlite work since the OTA is installed?

as long as the file packages are available you will always be able to go back to stock.

Reactions: mj0528

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This tutorial will explain how to protect and restore root for the OTA update.

Disclaimer: If you wish to keep root, DO NOT accept the OTA Update before running through these steps. PwnMyMoto will not work after updating since bug 9695860 (2nd Master Key) was patched. I am not responsible if this bricks your phone. Use at your own risk.

First I would like to thank JCase. If it wasn't for his original root method this would not be possible.

Prerequisites:
    Moto X
    A data cable (one that came with the phone woks fine)
    Root - Grab JCase's program PwnMyMoto from this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2444957
    ADB & Fastboot (attached to post if anyone needs it)
    RSDlite - Can find it here: http://www.4shared.com/rar/HkfWKoC5/RSD_Lite_615__MTK_Patch.html
    SuperSU (in playstore, can't guarantee other Superuser programs can restore root)
    SUPERCURIO's OTA RootKeeper or equivalent root keeper program (in playstore)
    FXZ file for your carrier - Can be found here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/ghost_rcica/list.php

Steps to Restore Root:
    1. Make sure that there are no modifications to the system files. If there are the update will fail to flash. There are two way to go about this. You can flash back to stock using the FXZ for your carrier and rsdlite or fastboot (whichever you prefer) or remove the modifications if you know what they are. If you just removed all mods then skip to step 3.

Note: If you use rsdlite to flash back to stock remember to remove the getvar command from the xml file. If you use fastboot to flash back to stock use the following post as a reference how:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45809324&postcount=3

2. Now you will need to install PwnMyMoto and then run it. After 2-3 reboots you should be rooted.

3. Make sure you install SuperSU and OTA RootKeeper.

4. Shutdown your Moto X. Then hold the power and down volume keys for about 5 seconds to boot into the bootloader. Scroll down with the down volume key to recovery and press the up volume key. You will be booted into android with write protection disabled.

5. Open up SuperSU. If it asks you to update the binary update it. You are going to want to make sure Survival mode is checked.

6. Open OTA RootKeeper. Grant it superuser rights and click Protect Root. It will save a backup of su. After that click Temp. un-root (keeps backup). This will hide root on your device.

7. Next we are going to flash the stock recovery. You will need fastboot, a command prompt and the stock recovery.img. For the recovery,img you can either grab the backup (recovery-stock.img) that is saved to the root of your device or you can grab the one from your carrier's FXZ. If you use the recovery from the FXZ you should also grab boot.img since we are going to be using it later. So unzip the fastboot files into a folder that you can easily locate. I placed it in C:\ for easy reference. Make sure your recovery and boot.img are in the same folder.

8. Now shutdown your Moto X and boot into the bootloader as we did in step 4. Open your command prompt by going to your start menu clicking run and typing cmd.exe (for windows 8 just use the search in the start screen and search for cmd under apps). This will bring up the command prompt. Now we need to change the directory to the folder you placed the fastboot and recovery files in. To do this type in
    Code:
    cd C:\ (example: cd C:\fastboot)
    9. Make sure you connect your phone to you computer via your data cable and that all the moto drivers are installed. Windows will usually automatically detect them. Once your connected and set to got we are going to type the following command into the command prompt:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (replace recovery.img with recovery-stock.img if you pulled the backup from you device).
    Don't exit the command prompt. We will be using it again shortly.

10. So now you are ready to take the OTA Update. Boot your phone up by either choosing Normal Powerup or using the following fastboot command:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    Once rebooted flash the OTA Update.

11. Your phone will reboot into recovery for the flash. Once it is complete it will boot up like normal and optimize any changes made to the system. Once this is done SuperSU will try to automatically restore root, but will fail due to booting with write protection enabled. This is where boot.img comes into play

12. Shutdown your Moto X and boot into the bootloader again. Make sure to connect your phone to your computer via you data cable if you disconnected it after flashing recovery. Bring up your command prompt and type the following command:
    Code:
    This will allow you to reboot into android with write protection disabled by hijacking the recovery like JCase did with his original exploit.

13. Now boot into recovery from the bootloader. Once you are booted back up SuperSU will now be able to restore root automatically.

The next set of steps will show you how to pull the new boot.img from your phone so you can flash it to the recovery partition so there are no issues caused by using the old boot.img. These steps are completely optional. If you are uncomfortable doing this I recommend waiting for the fxz file for the update to be released to get the new boot.img.
    Note: ADB is required to do this. It is now included with the fastboot files attached to this post.

14. After root access is restored you are going to go back to your command prompt. Type the following commands:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=dev/block/mmcblk0p33 of=/mnt/sdcard/boot.img
    exit
    exit
    adb pull mnt/sdcard/boot.img
    This will save a copy of the boot.img to the root of your phone and then save it to the directory that your fastboot and adb is in.

15. Now we are going to boot back into the booloader. Refer to step 4 for a reference how. Once booted into the bootloader type the following commands into the command prompt:
    Code:
    Now whenever you boot into recovery your phone will load with the new kernel and you should not have any more issues.

These next set of steps will allow you to fix the issue of the baseband failing to update during the OTA update.

16. If your baseband didn't update with the OTA then you will need to grab the FXZ of the update. Unzip the file NON-HLOS.bin and place it in the folder that contains fastboot.

17. Bring up your command prompt and and type the following commands
    Code:
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    Now your baseband will be up to date.
    now time to do my girlfriend's X. =P

This could be taken so many different ways! Sorry I couldn't resist:)
    I thought the same thing when reading the title. It should say something like Keeping Root When Taking the OTA. or Maintaining Root Through the OTA. But didn't want to be "that guy"

Changed the title of the thread to something less confusing.

Sent from My Moto X
    Just an update for those using this method to keep root. The AT&T update has been released as a FXZ. I tested flashing the NON-HLOS.bin to fix the baseband not updating problem and was successful. See attached screenshot. I will amend the tutorial tonight after work to include this.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    2) In the last step you are flashing the boot.img from an FXZ. Boot.img is the kernel, right? So on this method, you are flashing an OLD kernel to the new OTA update, correct?

Isn't that generally a bad idea?

Since we are not flashing the old kernel over the new one there isn't an issue. We are simply using it to write over the recovery partition so we can boot up with write protection disabled. The only problem I've noticed is that you can't use WiFi when in recovery mode due to the old kernel. I wouldn't recommend running in recovery mode on a daily basis. Just use it to write what you need to the system and boot back into normal mode. Once an FXZ with the new boot.img is released we should be able to flash it to recovery instead.

Sent from My Moto X