*Sigh*, I'm starting to regret buying WP7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
wow, internet tough guy!!! Don't worry, you have re-earned your spot on my ignore list.

You really should listen to the wp7 radio podcasts. They are good at explaining why things are going the way they are and the strategy for wp7. Yes it's a little disappointing that nodo isn't out yet, but I'd rather them do it right, then rush it and screw it up.
I don't think they would be showing off the mango update if they weren't serious about sticking to wp7. wp8 will only be an upgrade and our phones will get it.

Likely for a cost. You can't upgrade you PC Windows OS without a cost. You do receive updates and fixes without cost, but I doubt MS would ever give away their new OSes.

vangrieg

Jul 30, 2007
Moscow
^ nodo isn't the problem.

What is the problem then? Somebody bought a phone missing features critically important to him, hoping that it'll change in a matter of weeks? That's a problem, I agree. Microsoft isn't following rumored schedules? Well, it would be nice if they did, but I don't see a tragedy in the fact that they don't. All companies miss deadlines, especially when delivering something depends on so many parties involved. So, what is this problem everybody here is so emotional about?

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
What is the problem then? Somebody bought a phone missing features critically important to him, hoping that it'll change in a matter of weeks? That's a problem, I agree. Microsoft isn't following rumored schedules? Well, it would be nice if they did, but I don't see a tragedy in the fact that they don't. All companies miss deadlines, especially when delivering something depends on so many parties involved. So, what is this problem everybody here is so emotional about?

I keep telling myself not to bother saying the obvious but I keep getting suckered into it.

The really is nothing more foolish than an early adopter that complains about the item not being on the same level as the mature products on the market. And expect the item to close the gap quickly or immediately.

I have news for you: Expect to wait another 5 months for another update. So if this is a problem you should get rid of your windows phone now. But I suspect we will be reading a bunch of posts in May and June of this same nature.

emigrating

Jan 1, 2010
It was ready in december but had to go through carrier testing. I do think MS needs to kick the carriers in the butt and get the updates to us sooner, or stop announcing them until they are ready (aka Apple style).
It didn't have to go thru carrier testing. I'm not saying it hasn't, but it didn't have to. Lots of networks do no testing at all - some because they don't provide handsets, some because they don't provide branded ones and some because they just don't give a toss. In any case, if certain carriers demanded the update go thru testing that does not explain why MS didn't push it out to those of us with fully unbranded devices straight away. Doing this would very quickly force the controlling networks to re-think their strategy due to customer complaints.

I wonder how much a scrolling live tile would effect battery life and performance. I don't think that would be a good thing.
Why would it affect battery life at all? Animated live tiles already exist for native apps - we third party developers just can't use them. Dynamically building an animated image server-side and sending this to your phone as part of the standard live tile notification would have no effect on battery life.

Why would I care? Pretty simple: because if I put down my money to buy a smartphone in 2010, on the border of 2011, it should have ALL the features that even dumbphones have had since 2004.

There is, briefly, NO excuse why WP7 shipped without those features. None whatsoever.

Microsoft dropped the ball. WP7 was NOT ready to ship, and they shipped it anyway.
While I agree it should have all these features from the outset, it was well documented that it didn't - if you still went ahead and purchased the product after knowing this (or by not researching the purchase) you have no-one to blame but yourself.

There actually is an excuse why it shipped without certain features - time constraints. Microsoft had to get something out the door. Many of the highly requested features were on the roadmap all along but were cut, close to release, as they weren't polished enough to make it. The OS itself is a very polished product, so releasing it with broken implementations would drag down the overall UX.

If they hadn't shipped when they did, we'd not be having this discussion now. Heck, we wouldn't even have this discussion later in the year or even next year because the mobile market would be all but dead for MS.

The problem is that updates, or rather, bugfixes are not being rolled out to devices for no apparent good reason. Carrier testing is a smoke screen. OEM testing on the other hand is plausible, but only for updates/fixes that affect low level handling on the devices. As long as we are talking general OS issues/features there is no need for OEM testing either as the platform requires very similar hardware. Hell, it's even Microsoft who has provided all drivers for all hardware out there - if a certain device fails it's because the OEM has done something wrong.

The January update has been sitting completed on Microsoft's servers since ... wait for it ... January. Just look at the build numbers of current retail devices coming pre-loaded with NoDo and compare those with the build numbers released with the dev-tools update in early February or updates being sent out to developer handsets in December/January. There is, IMNSHO, no good reason why this hasn't yet been pushed out to customers.

One can only hope development has continued internally since January and they are close to RTMing a second update with actual bugfixes in place (such as the marketplace trial update bug for example - which is rumored to come after NoDo).

vangrieg

Jul 30, 2007
Moscow
Perhaps the simple answer is that WP7 has been misnamed, and really isn't a smart phone as such.

Who cares what it's called? It won't change a bit if you call it dumb.

@emigrating, no apparent reason doesn't equal no reason at all. That carriers do influence the process is pretty clear as some don't let the "pre-update" get through untill you unbrand your phone.

I have no idea what they might be "testing". But they do.

emigrating

Jan 1, 2010
@emigrating, no apparent reason doesn't equal no reason at all. That carriers do influence the process is pretty clear as some don't let the "pre-update" get through untill you unbrand your phone.

I have no idea what they might be "testing". But they do.

I did say that some networks perform no testing what so ever. My point is still valid though; there is no reason the update was not pushed to unbranded customers (as well as customers of non-testing carriers) as early as January.

Let's take any pharmaceutical drug as an example, this would go thru rigorous testing by lots of local health agencies - that doesn't mean however that the drug in question is held back in region A just because region B or C has not yet completed testing or found possible side effects.

Their [Microsoft] statement that this is something the whole industry has to deal with is quite simply wrong - or worse, a straight out lie in order to blow smoke up our asses.

jeffgeno

May 4, 2009
The problem is that updates, or rather, bugfixes are not being rolled out to devices for no apparent good reason. Carrier testing is a smoke screen. OEM testing on the other hand is plausible, but only for updates/fixes that affect low level handling on the devices. As long as we are talking general OS issues/features there is no need for OEM testing either as the platform requires very similar hardware. Hell, it's even Microsoft who has provided all drivers for all hardware out there - if a certain device fails it's because the OEM has done something wrong.

So your position is Microsoft is holding back the update because they know you want it and feel like screwing with you? You've done a lot of whining and hinting around at what you think the problem is, why don't you come out and post it? According to emigrating the update has been delayed because.....

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
Perhaps the simple answer is that WP7 has been misnamed, and really isn't a smart phone as such.

Okay, Mr. Antagonist, I will bite. Why is WP7 not a smart phone as such? Is Symbian smart? WebOS? WinMo? BB OS?

It is one thing to not like something, but that is why no one takes you seriously. But I am sure you know that and do not care. Maybe you were picked on in high school and take pleasure in attempting to irritate people? The time we waste instead of making the world a better place. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

emigrating

Jan 1, 2010
So your position is Microsoft is holding back the update because they know you want it and feel like screwing with you?
Where did I say that? There is obviously a good* reason it's being held. What I question is their contractual obligations that have made it so.

The update is ready, it has been ready since January, this is a fact. Now roll it out to consumers.

*) good doesn't necessarily mean you or I will see it as a valid reason - it is however a good reason from a business perspective.

You've done a lot of whining and hinting around at what you think the problem is, why don't you come out and post it?

Please show me where I've whined about anything? If you take a few minutes to go thru my post history you'll find that I really haven't - in fact I'm not even bothered about the NoDo update as it does not include any new features I need (Copy'n'Paste) and the bugfixes are few and far between.

As for coming out with what the problem is - I've done that several times already.

What I am bothered by is the fact it's taken them five months (three of which the update has been sitting on MSFT servers waiting for deployment) to bring out any update (not counting the pre-update as it did nothing in terms of UX) - in the same time Apple has provided five updates.

It doesn't matter if the reason is carrier testing or not - why is the update not being deployed to non-branded users or for carriers who have completed their testing? This update does not include any breaking changes that will cause fragmentation.

rhory

Feb 11, 2011
Larkhall
MS are not holding anything off, the NoGo update like the rest of the phone just isn't ready, like I keep saying, much to the chagrin of the microites, an out and out Beta OS being tested on the plebs, us, who are paying handsomely for the dubious privelege.

z33dev33l

Oct 17, 2008
Austin, TX
MS are not holding anything off, the NoGo update like the rest of the phone just isn't ready, like I keep saying, much to the chagrin of the microites, an out and out Beta OS being tested on the plebs, us, who are paying handsomely for the dubious privelege.

It may not be as polished as iOS though aesthetically it's 1000 times better but it certainly feels much more like a complete OS than android despite android having all the customization in the world.

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
What I am bothered by is the fact it's taken them five months (three of which the update has been sitting on MSFT servers waiting for deployment) to bring out any update (not counting the pre-update as it did nothing in terms of UX) - in the same time Apple has provided five updates.

It must be groundhog day.

Apple update history

One could always counter all the updates Apple pushed out by saying there was more work to be done. I do not want to get into that whole debate, but let me just show how people can be very convenient when pick role models.

So since Apple is the role model of updates let us compare Apples to Apples.
Apple OS 1.0 released in June 29th 2007
Apple OS 3.0 released in June 17th 2009. This brought cut & paste and MMS.

So it took Apple approx 2 years to get cut and paste and MMS. It took WP7 5 months to get cut & paste and it had MMS from launch.

And you know, that is life. Yes you got a wave of updates initially in the Apple world but it took forever to get something like copy and paste. So where are we at? People need to get real. There are no perfect technologies, companies, and people.

These threads just start to sound like a bunch of petty whiners who forgot the struggles the other OSes had along the way.

Last edited:

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
It may not be as polished as iOS though aesthetically it's 1000 times better but it certainly feels much more like a complete OS than android despite android having all the customization in the world.

Forget rhory. He is clearly mad. On one hand it is a dumbphone, on the other it is a beta OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's thinner than the iPhone 4! And is a gorgeous piece of art. I can't wait to get mine. :)

It's a sheep magnet that's for damn sure!
    It is odd how the OP says so much good for the phone. Reasons upon reasons why the phone was purchased and how great it was.

Then... because of no recent updates it must be a trash phone.

Get over it or buy a new phone. Stop complaining.
    As a rule I am not an early adopter anymore, in large part thanks to experiences in the gaming tech area. In that area, it's never, EVER a good idea to buy anything at launch because early adopters get screwed, 100% of the time. By the time the platform has matured to a level where there is a nice library of games and the hardware bugs have been worked out, there's usually a price drop or addition of features--or both. Whatever else is true, adopting later is more satisfying than adopting sooner, because you get more and better quality stuff for a lower price.

When I went to go buy a new iPhone, I fell head over heels for WP7 on the Samsung Focus. The UI is brilliant and I don't give a **** what anybody says to the contrary, Super AMOLED makes Retina display look like ****. It's not even a contest, and whenever I've shown my Focus to someone, side by side, with their iPhone 4--they've agreed unilaterally that the Focus has a better screen.

But the fact is, Microsoft launched WP7 too soon. It's missing basic, OBVIOUS features that should have been there from the outset. Custom ringtones, copy & paste, multitasking, sending SMS videos--all I can say about those features is "****ing DUH." Of COURSE those are obvious and should have been there from the outset. Any moron realizes that, and the fact that Microsoft dropped the ball on them is just ridiculous. That we're now almost FIVE MONTHS past launch and are still waiting for what amounts to a MINOR update is simply pathetic, and as a consumer I am starting to feel a little ripped off. Microsoft should not have launched WP7 in 2010. They should have waited until they at least got the obvious, ground level features that every dumb-phone for the last half a decade has had standard, out of the box, to say nothing of what Smartphones have had since at least iPhone 3GS hit.

I've been an ardent supporter of WP7 from the outset. I love the UI--it's head and shoulders above the rest. I'm patient with the small marketplace because it's growing fast and I enjoy the excitement of seeing what new goodie comes out next.

But I'm losing patience with how Microsoft has been handling the updates, and the absurd length of their release cycles. If this idiotically named NoDo update, which evidently should have been called "NoGo" instead, doesn't hit in March--then I'm done with the platform and Microsoft can suck it.
    You have 2 years to regret your decision unless you bought it unsubsidized.

That or you can learn to deal with the decisions you made as an adult.
    You have 2 years to regret your decision unless you bought it unsubsidized.

That or you can learn to deal with the decisions you made as an adult.

Here is how adults deal with products that fail to deliver what they promised: They sell them to some idiot on eBay and buy something else.

Android and iPhone are both strong contenders (though I'd really rather not give Apple any money, facts are facts, and at least they finally got the basic OBVIOUS features).