[tutorial] How to Unlock Bootloader and Root your Htc One V

Search This thread

steventan85

Dec 29, 2010
What is the official RUU for For Htc One V 1.58.707.4 ? i would like to get it in case i need to flash it back to claim warranty ... thanks ya

shubhamchamaria

Jan 28, 2011
Mumbai
What is the official RUU for For Htc One V 1.58.707.4 ? i would like to get it in case i need to flash it back to claim warranty ... thanks ya

You cannot claim warranty unless for hardware reasons and that too it is determined that it wasn't caused by the software. Didn't you read the **** while unlocking ...

Sent from my HTC One V using XDA

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
1.58.707.4 is not an RUU but an 8.78MB update to 1.58.707.3. So the only RUU you can download and install is 7.3, but 7.4 is easily obtainable if you check for updates after installing 7.3. Check Footballs thread to download 1.58.707.3.

Didn't you read the **** while unlocking ...
This attitude is totally unnecessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: steventan85

eysem

Dec 4, 2007
I could not superuser root device is a kind of friends, but says there is no root cause Asia have slashed the device, please use the alternative

ckpv5

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 11, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
soryy bad english my device unlocked but not s-off hboot 1.16 ı am not root help me pls thanks

There is no s-off capability yet. You unlock the bootloader only to have a root access. Please explain your problem, it is you unable to root your device after bootloader unlocked ?

eysem

Dec 4, 2007
this build development purposes only do not distribute outside of htc without htc's written permission failure to comply may lead to legal action
my device not root

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
I think his situation is that he can boot normally to an unrooted ROM. He has flashed CWM Recovery, but when he tries to boot recovery it won't load, therefore he can't root and is thus "stuck" with the normal OS. Per his post above, he has already tried re-flashing CWM Recovery.

So now what?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a simple tutorial on how to unlock bootloader and root your Htc One V.
    Do this AT YOUR OWN RISK and I don't guarantee it will work on all Htc One V (but successfully done on my Htc One V (PrimoU)).

First: Credits go to:

1) paulobrien for his tools & guide
    2) bagofcrap24 for the stolen unlocking bootloader tutorial..:)

Second: It is good to have official RUU for your Htc One V version. You can find the official RUU HERE(credit : JMZ) & HTCSync in case you something goes wrong and you need to revive your One V.

Or make a nandroid backup after you successfully unlock the bootloader. How ? Read further below. So read fully before you attempt to unlock bootloader and rooting.

Third: the tutorial

Unlocking Your Bootloader

Note: After doing unlocking bootloader, all your data/apps are gone so make a backup to your PC first.
    You will need to run the initial setup again.

1. Go Here "http://www.htcdev.com/" and create yourself an account on HTCDEV.
    2. Download These Fastboot Files
    3. Make a new folder on your C: drive called fastboot.
    4. Extract The Zip downloaded in step 2 to the new folder
    5. Go Here http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ and select "All Other Supported Models" and "then begin unlock bootloader"
    6. Yes, Tick both Boxes, Proceed
    7. Skip up to step 8 as we have all we need for the first 7 steps
    8. Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 5-7 seconds (the three keys will flash a few times then it will power off)
    9. Hold volume down button, the device will boot to HBOOT
    10. Select Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power once (you'll be in fastboot mode)
    11. plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
    (windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
    (Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)
    12. cd to your folder where we put fastboot files cd c:\fastboot
    13. type this into your command prompt window fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    14. select & copy the text as per step 9 on the HTCDev website
    15. paste your identifier token into the box at the bottom and submit
    You Will Very Shortly Receive an email from HTCDev with a link to the second part of the instructions and your "Unlock_code.bin" attached
    16. download the "Unlock_code.bin" from the email and save it to the same folder that we extracted fastboot files to in step 2
    17. type this into your command prompt window fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
    18. The Display Will change on your phone, press Vol + to accept and power to confirm.

Congratulations You Have Successfully Unlocked Your Bootloader

UPDATE: Read the IMPORTANT note added below

Rooting with Superboot for GSM Device (Primo U)

1. Download r1-primo-superboot.zip to your computer and extract in any directory.
    2. Download the modded boot.superboot.img
    3. Replace the boot.superboot.img in the folder that you extracted just now (r1-primo-superboot).

Or download one of the Superboot that relevant to your device HERE

4. Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 5-7 seconds (the three keys will flash a few times then it will power off)
    5. Hold volume down button, the device will boot to HBOOT
    6. Select Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power once (you'll be in fastboot mode)
    7. Connect your phone to PC
    8. Double click ‘install-superboot-windows.bat’

Rooting with Superboot for CDMA Device (Primo C)

1. Download r1-primo-cdma-superboot.zip to your computer and extract in any directory.
    2. Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 5-7 seconds (the three keys will flash a few times then it will power off)
    3. Hold volume down button, the device will boot to HBOOT
    4. Select Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power once (you'll be in fastboot mode)
    5. Connect your phone to PC
    6. Double click ‘install-superboot-windows.bat’

Once it complete, the phone will reboot on its own. In app drawer you will see a SuperSU icon, click on it and update SU binary then you are done with rooting your Htc One V.

You can try any app with root access to confirm it is working.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

IMPORTANT

As some people forget to make a nandroid backup for their stock ROM, after they successfully unlocked their device,
    when a soft brick happens, it will be a big problem to be back on stock when they are unable to find the official RUU for their device.
    So make sure, after successfully unlocked your device, don't do anything else yet, flash the CWM recovery and make a nandroid, make nandroid and nandroid of your stock ROM.

Download the Recovery for GSM Device:

CWM 5 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28153112
    Direct download link : http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.8.4.5-primou.img

CWM 6 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1871243 (the latest version as at 05 Sep 2012)

Download the Recovery for CDMA Device:

CWM - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1749798

How to make a nandroid backup ?

Once the CWM recovery installed:
    Press power once (to go to hboot)
    press volume down/up to navigate the menu to RECOVERY, press POWER once

Once in the RECOVERY menu:
    click backup and restore
    click backup
    the backup process is running. It will be a few minutes to complete.
    once complete, check whether the backup is successful
    click backup and restore
    click restore
    you will see your backup files, e.g: 2012-06-12.0.13.04
    click Go Back or use the back button
    click reboot system now to boot your device
    once fully booted, mount your sdcard to PC, browse to \clockworkmod\backup and copy the 2012-06-12.0.13.04 folder to your PC as a second backup in case something is wrong with your sdcard.
    2012-06-12.0.13.04 is an example only, you will get a different no.

Alternatively, you also can use TWRP recovery:

GSM version - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1721749
    CDMA version - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1764183

Now you are ready to do the rooting process.

Once your device is rooted, you are free to do whatever you want to do with your device, to flash a custom ROM, a custom kernel... whatever.
    If soft brick happens and there is no official RUU, a stock nandroid backup may helps you :)
    I am planning on buying this phone.
    I just have a few questions.

What is S-off and S-on?

Also, what is RUU?

I just give a basic explanation:

S-Off - security off - you can change everything including hboot partition layout, radio, system, data & recovery

S-On - opposite of the above, all cannot be change (which normally with a locked bootloader)

S-On + unlocked bootloader - you can change only system, data & recovery

RUU - ROM Update Utility - and exe file which consist all the OS files to be installed to the phone.
    It works perfectly when s off and root. But why cant i gain root access when i already have SU app?
    I tried to update the SU but it failed on gaining root access and busybox list.

When i used root uninstaller app, it asked me for adb access which i dunno. What do i have to do?

Which boot.superboot.img inside the r1-primo-superboot folder that you have ?
    The original one is 4126 kb (SU not working)
    The modded one is 4106 kb (SU should work)
    1.58.707.4 is not an RUU but an 8.78MB update to 1.58.707.3. So the only RUU you can download and install is 7.3, but 7.4 is easily obtainable if you check for updates after installing 7.3. Check Footballs thread to download 1.58.707.3.

This attitude is totally unnecessary.

Thanks..very appreciate it
    So the problem here is you don't know how to use terminal. Maybe this guide can help you: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1592922

It says that you need to do the following to flash the recovery
    Code:
    sudo -s (then type your password and press enter)
    cd /volumes/"your OSX drive name"/Users/your-username/Desktop/fastboot
    ./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery.img
    The only different is the recovery, don't download from that thread but use this one : http://www.mediafire.com/?08xa6a9a414adeu or http://androidhacks.justforlulz.fr/OneV-Primo/CWM/

Once you're successful with this, then you can flash SuperSU to have root access.

Even I had to use a Mac and it was pretty easy to do so..
    Download SDK and extract to desktop of mac..(ofc)
    Go to tools folder and run android..
    Download platform-tools..
    Start Terminal window and type "cd<space>" and then drag the platform-tools folder onto it..
    Press enter..
    Put recovery.img in the platform-tools folder..
    Then do "./fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"..without quotes...