Unconfirmed Froyo coming to desire 23rd of june!

Search This thread

flunkyou2

Dec 16, 2009
Got a bit peed off with the apps taking up loads of room and not being able to install them on the sd card, so i gave HTC a call and asked them if theres a round this?

I was told:

Robert: "No im sorry not at the moment"

Me: This is not on! i can only install a few apps!...

Robert: "Can i put you on hold for a couple of sec's"

Me: Yeah noprobs.....

Robert: "I have had a chat with my superviser and she said theres nothing you can do.... But you never heard this from me.... A new update is coming the 23rd of june and you will be able to put some apps on to the micro sd card."

Me: ok ill have to wait then, thanks for ya help.

Robert: "ok is there anythink else i can help you with?"

Me: nope have a good day cheers

Robert: "thank you have a good day"

If this is true im happy!

chrmrt

May 7, 2010
Lol, i sincerely hope you didn't write his actual name.. otherwise he *might* be screwed >_<

good news, though

pelotasplus

Mar 27, 2010
Warsaw
pelotaspl.us
don't get too excited. froyo's apps2sd is different than one you get with rooting your phone. with froyo it's up to app author to decide if his app may install on sd card or not.

pascanu

Jan 22, 2009
Tg. Mures
If this is true and they get Froyo on my Desire just one month after the Nexus they will have me forever. I have not rooted yet because I'm afraid and because I have faith in HTC (Hero owners probably disagree with me). I am counting on the fact that the Desire (and brothers/cousins) is their flagship and will probably be for another 5-6 months. I trully beleive no other GSM phone will beat it this year, at least not price/performance wise.
@HTC: this is one test you really have to pass. You have to build confidence, people that buy your products need to know their investment in you is seccond to nothing. The branding/ad campaign is brilliant but now we need some facts. Make us proud!

pascanu

Jan 22, 2009
Tg. Mures
don't get too excited. froyo's apps2sd is different than one you get with rooting your phone. with froyo it's up to app author to decide if his app may install on sd card or not.

This is a very good point, I'm sure not many people understand this. However I'm pretty sure once it's possible many developers will upgrade their apps to enable this, especially if users flood them with emails asking for it.

biebi

Jul 4, 2009
Some apps probably just implies "non-stock" apps; since they are locked to the internal memory in stock roms anyway.

This might be what we were waiting for =D

chrmrt

May 7, 2010
I had a USB bricked Desire, but went to the store and convinced them to give me a new one..
now i have been trying to figure out whether to try rooting and get a nexus one port of 2.2,
but with these news i dont think i will risk it just yet..

hope this date holds true, that would be awesome!

XDA mark

Dec 30, 2009
Rotterdam (NL) & Timisoara (RO)
Maybe a stupid question... but why would HTC not want everybody to know that they will bring FroYo so fast? This is good news, not bad. If I would be HTC, I would tell this good news to the whole world.

Anyway, I was and still am sure that we will have FroYo before August starts.

Phil750123

Apr 6, 2010
Birmingham, UK
They said press release 2nd half of the year, but they also said something about we will publish details when we now them ( meaning might wait til monday maybe) and also said something like not 100% guarenteed as they might hit problems etc...

Whiterin

Mar 3, 2010
Not sure I would count on this too much. Yes it is a possibility, but it may not be also. I used to work in a call center, and from experience I know some people say there will be an update soon just to get the customer off the line. I have had to deal with the backlash of customers not getting the update the previous person told them was coming out. Hopefully it is accurate information though. Would be nice nice to get 2.2 soon

-------------------------------------
Sent from my HTC Desire

Hands0n

Sep 17, 2009

In the words of John Mackenroe "You cannot be serious!" :D Although I suppose it all depends upon your definition of "... a few ..."

The Desire's available memory is possibly the largest in an Android handset to date.

But that was a good bit of leakage to post to all of those waiting eagerly for Froyo on the HTC Desire :)

craigcrawford1988

May 21, 2010
Got a bit peed off with the apps taking up loads of room and not being able to install them on the sd card, so i gave HTC a call and asked them if theres a round this?

I was told:

Robert: "No im sorry not at the moment"

Robert: "Can i put you on hold for a couple of sec's"

Me: Yeah noprobs.....

Robert: "I have had a chat with my superviser and she said theres nothing you can do.... But you never heard this from me.... A new update is coming the 23rd of june and you will be able to put some apps on to the micro sd card."

Me: ok ill have to wait then, thanks for ya help.

Robert: "ok is there anythink else i can help you with?"

Me: nope have a good day cheers

Robert: "thank you have a good day"

If this is true im happy!

DUDE! You got me fired... How could you... They log those calls, they listened into each one and found out it was me... :mad:

Last edited:

brummiesteven

Aug 29, 2008
Birmingham
This is a very good point, I'm sure not many people understand this. However I'm pretty sure once it's possible many developers will upgrade their apps to enable this, especially if users flood them with emails asking for it.

This isn't true and they even explicitly said this in the IO Presentation.

Apps2SD in Froyo can work automatically, the system will decide weather or not to install the app to the SD Card (Presumably, if your internal storage is full, apps are then installed on the SD Card)

You also have the option to manually transfer from Phone to SD and vice versa which is what they demonstrated, probably because they couldn't demonstrate an automatic process.