[Video Guide] How To Unlock Bootloader & Root - USER FRIENDLY

Search This thread
Help pls

Everything has worked until I get to 9:40 of the video. Im trying to flash TWRP. My phone reboots into bootloader, I close the first cmd window and the second pops up and it just sits there saying waiting for device. Everything worked fine up to this point. Unlocked bootloader working fine. I just cannot get passed the waiting for device cmd. Second cmd window. Thanks...

mike-s

Jul 7, 2012
Hey folks, i know that for some, unlocking bootloaders and rooting for the first time can be a bit overwhelming, so i put together a video, walking you through step by step. I hope this helps at least 1 of you ;)

Cheers :)
It helped me thanks. I have rooted samsung phones before, but HTC seem to be an entirely different beast altogether. As it turns out I had forgotten one simple thing, to re-enable usb debugging from within the phone a second time :eek: . Hopefully it isn't something I'll have to screw around with again anytime in the near future, and given how I almost NEVER install custom roms, the chances of it becoming a headache a second time aren't that likely.

theorlyowl

May 14, 2013
www.google.de
Hello,

how can I check if my bootloader is unlocked? I recently bought a HTC One M7 for a good price, now I just need to know if it is with unlocked bootloader or not. I dont have any intention of unlocking it.

Thanks in advance :)

Matt

Feb 4, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Thanks for the great video, great explanations and very detailed! I've done it before on a Thunderbolt and had issues. This doesn't leave much room for error. When I sent my TB in for the Trade Up program I had some trouble returning it to stock and never got it perfect. If memory serves it said relocked so not sure if I'll get me $100.

If there was a way you could make a video of returning the One to stock it would be great! Some of us for whatever reason might have to return for warranty or insurance so a video of the process for unrooting and relocating (showing locked) would be huge.

Thanks again for a great video!!

You can't fully relock the bootloader back to normal, it will always show 're-locked':)

matt95

Aug 8, 2010
Milan
You can't fully relock the bootloader back to normal, it will always show 're-locked':)

you have just to wait for S-OFF and this problem will be solved ;)

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Hello,

how can I check if my bootloader is unlocked? I recently bought a HTC One M7 for a good price, now I just need to know if it is with unlocked bootloader or not. I dont have any intention of unlocking it.

Thanks in advance :)

power down the phone and power it up pressing vol down, the top word will say all

milesjohnson

Feb 27, 2011
ok ive been looking for a clear answer for the past hour but cant find it can someone please help lol. all i want to do is make sure my pictures and contacts are backed up i dont care about apps being backed up. whats the easiest way to backup pictures/contacts to one place

wimpynet

Nov 16, 2010
I bought this phone in Sydney, and I figured out its the developer edition.
I would like to root it, but i have a doubt. When i boot into the bootloader, i see "locked", instead of "unlocked". Shouldnt it come with the bootloader unlocked?

thanks.

Fromhell13

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks OP.

My SuperSU seems like dont get an access to /system folder. Try to install SU binary but always fail. My bootloader S-ON. Attach is my phone info.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-06-09-29-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-06-09-29-53.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 275

matt95

Aug 8, 2010
Milan
I bought this phone in Sydney, and I figured out its the developer edition.
I would like to root it, but i have a doubt. When i boot into the bootloader, i see "locked", instead of "unlocked". Shouldnt it come with the bootloader unlocked?

thanks.

yeah it should because the dev edition comes with the bootloader pre-unlocked

homer285

Jun 4, 2006
I am unable to unlock the bootloader at all through HTC website, Ive unlocked all passed HTC devices no problem, however the One simply refuses to be unlocked any one else experience this?

ankanb

Apr 9, 2011
So it seems that the revone S-OFF unlocks the bootloader as well (which means we can skip HTCDev.com unlocking and loosing all our data?)
Has someone used the toolkit flash a recovery after that and get root? I am starting from a stock HTC One (carrier unlocked) and wanted to try it this way. Any concerns I should be aware of?

Shree.bhagwat

Sep 18, 2011
pune
So it seems that the revone S-OFF unlocks the bootloader as well (which means we can skip HTCDev.com unlocking and loosing all our data?)
Has someone used the toolkit flash a recovery after that and get root? I am starting from a stock HTC One (carrier unlocked) and wanted to try it this way. Any concerns I should be aware of?

Hi
greetings using toolkit is safe and you can use it to flash recovery and root the phone if you want to have a stock ROM of htc.
But if you want to flash a custom ROM just flash recovery and then flash the desired custom Rom you want to flash as custom roms are already rooted

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

I know,but mine says locked.
Would be any problem if I try to unlock the bootloader even it's already unlocked?

Sent from my HTC ONE m7 using Tapatalk 4

Hi
greetings ,
i suggest you must try to s-off the phone
s-off will not have data loss but unlocking the phone, you will have to face data loss

Kinoal

Jun 15, 2012
Do we loose warranty if we unlock bootloader and flash with another rom?

Thanks!

Shree.bhagwat

Sep 18, 2011
pune
Thanks for your answer! but what's the risk really cause I've buy it and I don't want to be stuck with a brick phone :)

Hi
greetings,
their is no risk in unlocking the phone and rooting it as long as you read the guide carefully and understand whats written in their.
and as long as you can boot your phone into bootloader your phone is mostly recoverable

many people have unlocked,rooted and S-OFFed their phone (including me) and still with no prob.

you can keep the phone stock as their is no prob in stock Rom
and if you s-off the phone you might get warrenty by locking the phone back

basically decision is on you weather to root or not

Kinoal

Jun 15, 2012
Hi
greetings,
their is no risk in unlocking the phone and rooting it as long as you read the guide carefully and understand whats written in their.
and as long as you can boot your phone into bootloader your phone is mostly recoverable

many people have unlocked,rooted and S-OFFed their phone (including me) and still with no prob.

you can keep the phone stock as their is no prob in stock Rom
and if you s-off the phone you might get warrenty by locking the phone back

basically decision is on you weather to root or not

and Witch SF OFF do you recommand? And with that there is no way that HTC refuse my device in warranty?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey folks, i know that for some, unlocking bootloaders and rooting for the first time can be a bit overwhelming, so i put together a video, walking you through step by step. I hope this helps at least 1 of you ;)

The toolkit in this video guide was developed by hasson2000, so big props and thanks go out to him! You can find his toolkit here

To the moderators. hasson2000 has asked that folks request his permission to use his work in posts ect.. So i did ask, but he never responded... So since this is doing no harm and only helping people, i assume you won't mind this posted here ;) If you do want to take it down, i won't fight you on it.

If you folks have any questions, i strongly recommend you go to hasson2000s toolkit thread, linked above, and ask there.

Cheers :)
    can i use HTC one Tool kit to root and unlock htc one on android 5.0.2?

1. Install latest android sdk or minimal adb and fastboot (<--- preferred if you are a beginner)
    2. Install latest HTC drivers
    3. Unlock your bootloader via htcdev.com/bootloader:
      • Create an account at htcdev.com
      • Reboot your phone in bootloader mode/fastboot usb
      • Open a command prompt from your adb/fastboot folder and get your identifier token:
        Code:
        fastboot oem get_identifier_token
      • Copy/paste the token to htcdev.com and then submit it, you'll then receive your Unlock_code.bin in your e-mail.
      • Save the Unlock_code.bin in the same folder where you have adb and fastboot on your computer. Then in the command prompt:
        Code:
        fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
        ^^case sensitive, don't forget the capital U for "Unlock_code.bin".
    4. Once unlocked, download twrp recovery 2.8.5.0. Save it the same folder where you have adb and fastboot.
    5. Reboot your phone in bootloader/fastboot usb and flash the recovery.
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.8.5.0-m7.img
      fastboot erase cache
      fastboot reboot-bootloader
    6. Download latest SuperSU (2.46), save it on your phone storage, reboot phone in twrp recovery, select "install" and install SuperSu 2.46 zip file
    7. reboot and you are done.
    So, there is no way to root this device without unlocking it first? I've also read that after you unlock, you loose some apps & obviously OTA updates......4.2.2 is rumored to be out for this device any time now. Is there anyway to preserve those apps, possibly update phone (even manually) or just root without unlocking?

you won't loose any apps if you unlock, you will lose all of your files though... and you can still receive OTAs is you are unlocked, you just need to have the stock rom and a stock recovery...
    To the moderators. hasson2000 has asked that folks request his permission to use his work in posts ect.. So i did ask, but he never responded... So since this is doing no harm and only helping people, i assume you won't mind this posted here ;) If you do want to take it down, i won't fight you on it.

I receive tons of PMs and can forget who I responded to, since I am on my phone majority of the time. Anyone is allowed to make a video using my toolkit. I just do not permit people to repost my work on another site. All official toolkit threads will be on XDA and all the toolkits will be uploaded to ONLY my Dev-Host account. I do not authorize mirrors of my toolkits (since anyone can just repack it with a virus and blame me for it). However, my apologies if I did not get back to you. I usually wake up with 10 - 15 PMs, plus more throughout the day!
    So you won't loose torch and some of the other apps I've read you may lose after unlocking?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

no, you won't