[Q] "Test device" forcing Tell HTC on

Search This thread

buggaby

Feb 5, 2012
Hi all,

I have an HTC One m7. It is unlocked and S-Off but with the stock ROM reflashed. When I go through the setup routine, it shows the screen I attached below. Basically, it says it's a "test device" and that it automatically shares my personal info with HTC. Is this because of S-Off? Or is it because the phone is somehow different? I got it from a friend who used to work at Telus (Canadian carrier) and it was a demo device, but I never saw it stock. He had already flashed it with the Google Play edition ROM, which I didn't like, so I switched it around a couple times.

So, is S-Off causing this message? And is it actually sending my data to HTC? If so, what can I do to stop it?

Thanks!

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
Hi all,

I have an HTC One m7. It is unlocked and S-Off but with the stock ROM reflashed. When I go through the setup routine, it shows the screen I attached below. Basically, it says it's a "test device" and that it automatically shares my personal info with HTC. Is this because of S-Off? Or is it because the phone is somehow different? I got it from a friend who used to work at Telus (Canadian carrier) and it was a demo device, but I never saw it stock. He had already flashed it with the Google Play edition ROM, which I didn't like, so I switched it around a couple times.

So, is S-Off causing this message? And is it actually sending my data to HTC? If so, what can I do to stop it?

Thanks!

Yes this is because s-off and yes its probably sending some data to HTC, those same kind of data your send everyday to Google using Android, Microsoft using your PC, facebook when updating your profile, to your ISP when surfing on the internet and to your carrier when making calls and using mobile data....... so nothing to be afraid of. Just ignore this warning and you'll be fine.

btw, dont go back s-on.

buggaby

Feb 5, 2012
Yes this is because s-off and yes its probably sending some data to HTC, those same kind of data your send everyday to Google using Android, Microsoft using your PC, facebook when updating your profile, to your ISP when surfing on the internet and to your carrier when making calls and using mobile data....... so nothing to be afraid of. Just ignore this warning and you'll be fine.

btw, dont go back s-on.

I wasn't planning on going back s-on. Thanks for the extra confirmation! :)

My concern with this message was that it said the data is personally identifiable. I'd don't mind giving data, but it usually says it's anonymized.

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
I wasn't planning on going back s-on. Thanks for the extra confirmation! :)

My concern with this message was that it said the data is personally identifiable. I'd don't mind giving data, but it usually says it's anonymized.

well ''personal data'' like

1. your name: Facebook, Goolgle, Microsft, Your ISP, and you carrier have acces to it,
  2. phone number: Google (android), your ISP and your carrier know it (even facebook, you can login to facebook using your phone #)
  3. location: Google, your carrier and even facebook have acces to this info
  4. e-mail adress: lol :rolleyes:
  5. Device ID: I personally don't care if HTC know that I use an HTC phone... and what model....
  6. IMEI: HTC is providing the IMEI and your carrier also have this info everytime your phone is connected to the network.

Not very different from any other company that are collecting data from their users/products

Last edited: