[Root][TWRP][COTR][BOOTLOADERS]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9 (4/5/13) [1st Gen Only!]

Search This thread

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
what In should do instead?
As long as you have a bootloader and a recovery do a full wipe minus the sdcard/external storage, cache,dalvik, factory reset and system. Flash the rom of your choice and appropriate gapps for the system you choose. Then from within the rom wipe your storage, let it settle in a bit to make sure you do not end up with mounting issues so it can begin to write to the sdcard. There you go clean device just remember all the contents of your sdcard will be gone this includes roms, gapps and backups. At the end you will have clean system and sdcard while still retaining your bootloader, recovery and root.
Edit: The way you are choosing to go about it wipes out recovery, bootloader and leaves you no safety net whatsoever if perhaps you do something wrong which in fact happens more often then I care to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: evgeny9

abarax

Jan 5, 2012
I may be doing something wrong here, but I'm not sure what. I'm trying to root stock 6.3.2 using KFU 0.9.9 on a Windows 8 x64 laptop. My drivers are installed and functioning correctly (I've tested a series of ADB commands to verify this), and when I select option 2, it starts by rebooting, installs both TWRP and FFF, reboots again, sticks on TWRP, and then... nothing. I'll wait up to 15 minutes, but still nothing. I'll restart from TWRP (Reboot>System), but the command window indicates the Superuser push to root has failed as the system is Read-Only. I've tried multiple times with the exact same result.

I know that TWRP is having several issues with version 2.5.0.0, so is there any way to replace TWRP with COTR during the rooting process? Is there something I'm just missing? Any help would be appreciated.

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Also, the command window in KFU

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

shows "Waiting for device..." the whole time it's stuck in TWRP, and never changes.

ndreamstate2

Feb 26, 2008
Greenville
kindle nightmare

ok i am running windows 8 64 bit edition and i can not for the life of me get the drivers instaled. it will say either cant read this language or it will say the hash file as been corrupted.can someone please help me get past this point

Logos Ascetic

Nov 12, 2010
Moto X4
My personal Instructions

Im sure everyone has a different way of doing things,and perferences.But as of 7-28-13 this just works without any flaws

Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9 Installation Instructions

1) run "run.bat"
2) choose Option 2) install root with superuser
3) let the kindle boot to the following states
-kindle fire (orange)
-kindle fire (blue)
-TeamWIN logo (TWRP)
-Kindle fire (orange)
4) unlock the kindle inorder for it to go into USB mode to install superuser.apk

SUCESS Now rooted

Now Since TWRP Team doesnt have access to a kindle the recovery sucks, its full of bugs

As of 7-28-13 TWRP 2.6.0 cannot restore the kindle to stock state with the update.zip, and it cannot reliably install a custom rom.These are known issues that were causing problems before this version.I will not debate them.If I follow the instructions to a letter and they dont work more than once its not ready for prime time.SO I suggest installing COTR.Its not as pretty but it does the following flawlessly backups, stock restore of update.zip, and installation of custom roms

Run the kindle fire utility again and choose option #4 to install COTR over the TWRP recovery. Reboot the kindle when the kindle logo with (blue fire) pops up hold the power button till a menu pops up ppress it again to choose --recovery--. Thisstarts COTR, calibrate the touch screen this sets up a COTR folder with settings. Choose "nandroid" --> "backup" to backup your kindle rom and all its apps (optional). Then choose "boot android" since my usb driver wont work. once the stock OS booted I opened the kindle drive and copied my backup from the COTR Recovery Folder ,and I deleted the TWRP folder. I deleted it to save space. Now your ready for installing a custom rom.This is the one I used

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2103278

Installation

-reboot into COTR recovery
-Wipe data, cache, system, and dalvik cache
-choose zip flashing and choose rom.zip
-Install the latest gapps for CM10.1.x http://goo.im/gapps
-Reboot

awidawad

Since I really don't use my Kindle Fire for everyday use (I only use it to test my JellyBeer ROMs now) I'd like to know which TWRP version has worked flawlessly for you guys so I can have two links; one for latest and one for stable. Your feedback is highly appreciated and helps make this utility better.

Sent from my HTC One V's nemesis the iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

tobiascuypers

Jun 9, 2012
A little town called Proctor
Since I really don't use my Kindle Fire for everyday use (I only use it to test my JellyBeer ROMs now) I'd like to know which TWRP version has worked flawlessly for you guys so I can have two links; one for latest and one for stable. Your feedback is highly appreciated and helps make this utility better.

Sent from my HTC One V's nemesis the iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
twrp 2.5 works flawlessly for me. Ive never had an issue with it

menriquez

Dec 19, 2010
Las Vegas
yes thanks for the utility after i re-installed the drivers twice i finally got your script to recognize my kindle. so in reading other forums threads i got the impression that fastboot mode was ultra necessary and went ahead and installed FireFireFire first without rooting first (which ive become painfully aware was a big mistake)...now the kindle is booting into stock fastmode and seems to be stuck at the orange and while logo and is no longer being recognized at all by windows...ugh

ive been looking for a solution for the past hour but its getting old...can anyone here help me with this issue?

thanks

Last edited:

awidawad

yes thanks for the utility after i re-installed the drivers twice i finally got your script to recognize my kindle. so in reading other forums threads i got the impression that fastboot mode was ultra necessary and went ahead and installed FireFireFire first without rooting first (which ive become painfully aware was a big mistake)...now the kindle is booting into stock fastmode and seems to be stuck at the orange and while logo and is no longer being recognized at all by windows...ugh

ive been looking for a solution for the past hour but its getting old...can anyone here help me with this issue?

thanks

So if you hold the power button for 10 seconds and turn it off and then power it back on what color is the "Kindle Fire" logo? Also, have you went into the boot menu on KFU and selected Normal Mode? Sometimes fast boot is detected by windows but it won't show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

menriquez

Dec 19, 2010
Las Vegas
So if you hold the power button for 10 seconds and turn it off and then power it back on what color is the "Kindle Fire" logo? Also, have you went into the boot menu on KFU and selected Normal Mode? Sometimes fast boot is detected by windows but it won't show.

yeah ive rebooted many times both my windows 7 and the kindle...i only get the white and orange logo. i cant even try to uninstall the drivers this time because windows TOTALLY refuses to recognize the device now...i dont even get the Kindle entry in Device Manager!

thanks so much for your prompt reply.

awidawad

yeah ive rebooted many times both my windows 7 and the kindle...i only get the white and orange logo. i cant even try to uninstall the drivers this time because windows TOTALLY refuses to recognize the device now...i dont even get the Kindle entry in Device Manager!

thanks so much for your prompt reply.

Sounds like its stuck in fastboot this can be fixed by opening Kindle Fire Utility, going to the boot menu, and selecting Normal Boot. Fastboot uses a different driver so windows won't show it in device manager as a kindle or android device

menriquez

Dec 19, 2010
Las Vegas
Sounds like its stuck in fastboot this can be fixed by opening Kindle Fire Utility, going to the boot menu, and selecting Normal Boot. Fastboot uses a different driver so windows won't show it in device manager as a kindle or android device

oh yeah its definitely stuck in fastboot but ive tried "adb devices" and there is absolutely no trace of it now...kfu cant recognize it anymore and all i get with bootmode normal mode is <waiting for device> and nothing happens.

awidawad

oh yeah its definitely stuck in fastboot but ive tried "adb devices" and there is absolutely no trace of it now...kfu cant recognize it anymore and all i get with bootmode normal mode is <waiting for device> and nothing happens.

Fastboot isn't recognized by adb instead try fastboot devices. And when it says <waiting for device> hold the power button for 10 seconds and turn it back on while it's waiting it should do the trick. There's like a 30 second window the stock boot loader has in fastboot before it locks up in my experiences

menriquez

Dec 19, 2010
Las Vegas
Fastboot isn't recognized by adb instead try fastboot devices. And when it says <waiting for device> hold the power button for 10 seconds and turn it back on while it's waiting it should do the trick. There's like a 30 second window the stock boot loader has in fastboot before it locks up in my experiences

i was really hoping this was gonna work but it didnt....fastboot devices shows nada...i tried changing usb ports just in case. nope. rebooting while <waiting for devices> no go. im really angry at myself for not being more careful about the directions i flash and root all sorts of devices so i should have known better.

im doing this as a favor to a friend and now im looking at a brick...no really where i want to be...

awidawad

i was really hoping this was gonna work but it didnt....fastboot devices shows nada...i tried changing usb ports just in case. nope. rebooting while <waiting for devices> no go. im really angry at myself for not being more careful about the directions i flash and root all sorts of devices so i should have known better.

im doing this as a favor to a friend and now im looking at a brick...no really where i want to be...

Have you tried using a different computer? Some computers are funky with the device

Logos Ascetic

Nov 12, 2010
Moto X4
For one thing I really don`t get what you are trying to accomplish by flashing stock except a brick and another disable zip signature verification in settings. Make sure you do a full wipe before flashing update.zip.

flashing my kindle to stock is just as risky as flashing to a custom rom,installing recovery,or dual boot

As Long as you take proper precautions ,practice patience, and do things in the proper order you can greatly reduce the chance of a brick.Ive flashed dozen of different devices to custom Operating systems without a single brick in my 5 years of soft modding

Logos Ascetic

Nov 12, 2010
Moto X4
Where are some 100% working windows drivers?

The install_drivers.bat, and all drivers included with this utility do not work no matter how many times i uninstall or reinstall.Ive read numerous tutorials,and threads with this same issue

Kindle fire 1st gen 6.3.2 running
the smooth rom 1.7 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2103278

when I connect to the computer with the Stock Amazon OS it shows up fine in windows.So I was able to use the kindle fire utility only before I install any custom roms. But once I have installed a custom ROM, I cant mount the device in COTR , TWRP, or in the ROM OS

Theres plenty of people with this issue.And plenty who say they solve it.Does anyone have a working set of drivers?If you do please upload them.I still get a google failed dialog from the drivers packaged with this utility.Ive uploaded some drivers that give me a successful install dialog, yet they still dont let me see my kindle in windows

Attachments

• screenshot.11.png
    screenshot.11.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 99
  • amazon-usb-drivers.zip
    9.8 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

menriquez

Dec 19, 2010
Las Vegas

Theres plenty of people with this issue.And plenty who say they solve it.Does anyone have a working set of drivers?If you do please upload them.I still get a google failed dialog from the drivers packaged with this utility.Ive uploaded some drivers that give me a successful install dialog, yet they still dont let me see my kindle in windows

I spent two hours yesterday fighting this and other issues...I eventually got the drivers to work so I can confirm 100% that install_drivers.bat DOES work...have you checked your antivirus and/or firewall to make sure they aren't blocking installation or something? just an idea...

redbean25

Jan 4, 2012
Seattle
The install_drivers.bat, and all drivers included with this utility do not work no matter how many times i uninstall or reinstall.Ive read numerous tutorials,and threads with this same issue

Kindle fire 1st gen 6.3.2 running
the smooth rom 1.7 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2103278

when I connect to the computer with the Stock Amazon OS it shows up fine in windows.So I was able to use the kindle fire utility only before I install any custom roms. But once I have installed a custom ROM, I cant mount the device in COTR , TWRP, or in the ROM OS

They do work. That error you are seeing about the install failing is because you have not disabled Windows Driver Signing. Once you disable that, then install them. They will work.

Logos Ascetic

Nov 12, 2010
Moto X4
finally made some headway

I updated the Android SDK Tools to the latest version with some updated API's and Google usb drivers.

ACTION = RESULT
1) booted to COTR = mount usb storage which came up as "kindle" with access to folders
2) unmounted and tried to mount the system folder = showed up as android composite device in the "safe to remove hardware" dialog
3) rebooted my rom (android debugging enabled) = showed up as android composite device in the "safe to remove hardware" dialog
4) connected device (android debugging disabled) = didnt show up anywhere

I spent two hours yesterday fighting this and other issues...I eventually got the drivers to work so I can confirm 100% that install_drivers.bat DOES work...have you checked your antivirus and/or firewall to make sure they aren't blocking installation or something? just an idea...

Just because it works for you doesnt mean they work 100% for everyone, in every environment.While yes theres a very small chance a antivirus and/or firewall could block them. Neither are blocking any driver install. Do you have any suggestions for a more localized search closer to the actual drivers, driver installation .ini's .dlls or device ids? Seems like it would be better to check those than to just randomly start rooting around in other computer processes that arent directly related to the actual device

They do work. That error you are seeing about the install failing is because you have not disabled Windows Driver Signing. Once you disable that, then install them. They will work.

No they do not work once you disable it.I know about "Windows Driver Signing" Ive enabled and even re-enabled it.same problem.Im not the only one, there are dozens of other people in other forums and threads here that have the same issue.So then that means these drivers / or the .bat file is not universal enough to be used on a wide range of systems

Last edited:

awidawad

No they do not work once you disable it.I know about "Windows Driver Signing" Ive enabled and even re-enabled it.same problem.Im not the only one, theres dozens of other people in other forums and threads here that have the same issue.So then that means these drivers / or the .bat file is not universal enough to be used on a wide range of systems

It is programmed to be run on windows thus is "Universal" on all Windows PCs running Windows XP SP3-Windows 8 32 or 64 bit systems. I've shown people in denial that it won't work through a team viewer session I got their drivers installed within 5 minutes and have done this to numerous users until I didn't have any more time for that. It'll work, you just have to follow the correct steps as obviously you're missing something or your drivers would be installed right now.

One thing I can say though is that some PCs are different in terms of USB if so try a different machine that may do the trick.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: The following files ONLY work for the Original KF. Running this on a 2nd Generation KF will brick the device.

From Original thread:

Hi all, some of you may have seen my utility over in the de-bricking thread. My goal at this point is to try and make lives easier for everyone I can.

So what I have done is created a script that can be used to handle a lot of common things people may want, and I will continue to add things people request that I think would be easy, and beneficial. I just wanted to make this situation easier for the average person.

You will see how the tool detects you at the default screen, and can refresh it by hitting 0 at any menu to have it refresh ADB/Fastboot and see what mode the kindle is in.

Currently the tool comes packaged with the drivers required to operate ADB and Fastboot.

Please note: If your device can't be seen in fastboot mode, please make sure to install the drivers packaged with this, as it will show up afterwards. You can use the install_drivers.bat with the device plugged in for this.

Usage should be straight forward for the tool. If you are having issues with something, this tool has a good chance of getting you back on track.

Rooting has been tested with the latest update (6.3.2) and it works 100%. Be sure to have your device booted up in normal mode before running the root.

Features:
    • Automatic elevation to root for tool operations.
    • Full root install.
    • Auto detect current bootmode.
    • Auto Detect ADB/Fastboot Online/Offline.
    • Auto download update.zip from Amazon.
    • Auto download and install TWRP Recovery.
    • Auto download and install COTR Recovery.
    • Auto download and install FFF Bootloader.
    • Manage current bootmodes.
    • Manage Read/Write.
    • Install GoogleApps/Market/GoLauncherEX.
    • Lock/Unlock the Wallpaper from being changed.
      As of 3/16/2013:
    • Doesn't support CWM for now bad DL link and seems there is no updated, stable version.
    • Automated Dual-Boot installation and Un-Dual Boot
    • Choose Amazon Firmware to update to
    • More to come... This needs a bit of a code re-write from the things I added. Expect it to be updated soon.
    Please feel free to contact me if I should add even more features to this :)

Here are some screen-shots:

More to come...

Please leave a message if this tool does not help you, malfunctions, or just to say thank you, or request more features!

Don't forget to donate to teamwin for their awesome recovery system over at: Team Win Website

Current Downloads:

v0.9.9 Download

Older Downloads:

v0.9.8 Download

Changelog:
    Code:
    4/5/13: v0.9.9 now has an option to install COTR recovery. 
    Squashed a few bugs including the superuser.apk not 
    installing bug.

3/17/13: v0.9.8+ includes even more bug fixes from v0.9.8 
    and now implements the dual boot feature. 
    Please read the README.txt inside the zip.

3/16/13: A few major code bugs fixed. Removed DL link for v0.9.7 
    because of these bugs. 100% tested and working with everything.

3/15/13: Initial upload... v0.9.7

Credits: VashyPooh for script and permission to maintain.

Initial work by ubeezee & yareally on there forum thread.
    Full revert based off method from Clavin, "tweaked" by Vashypooh.
    Full credit of TWRP goes to Team Win for releasing an awesome tool! Good job guys.
    I checked with Dees_Troy prior to integrating TWRP install into the tool, and he was alright with it. If this changes, it will be changed or completely removed per their request.
    rooobbbbb on XDA for the Wallpaper Lock trick.
    Jolleyboy/Bandage on XDA for Android Market guide/ Android Apps.
    Sync settings found by Abramel @ XDA.
    Zeb for testing 0.9.4!

If you are asking for help and can't post here, please post in Q&A forums here.
    If you CAN post and are asking for help please provide some required information listed below to receive best solutions right away.

Provide:
    • Windows Verson
    • 32-bit or 64-bit
    • What steps you have taken
    • What device manager says about your device
    • Version of KFU you are using
    • Exact error you recieve
    Awesome! Will this work with Linux too?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD

Not yet but I do have plans ;)
    so i lost my root due to the update. tried rooting with the new kfu. well when i slected that option, i selected normal boot. the kindle rebooted. well after it reboot i acidently selected fastboot. the kindle rebooted and i cant get it past the kindle fire screen. now what do i do? please help.

UPDATE: i got it fix. i select the wrong command. it rebooted in to twrp after installing fff, twrp, and setting the recovery bootmode. rebooted and stil didnot achive root. what did i do wrong?

Don't know what you did... Try the root option again. Maybe it will work. Be sure to have run the install_drivers.bat and to double check what option you're selecting and have your kindle powered up and booted into normal mode before running the root option.

I tried to install permanent superuser to get my root back (that it had for 6.3.1) using the 2nd selection but I just have dual boot and no root!
    what happened?

What option did you select? Again, be sure to double check what you select and if you don't want dual boot run the un-dual boot option, then re-run the root option.

To all users:
    This utility has been tested thoroughly. There is no reason to have such major issues if you: A. Follow directions properly and read the onscreen instructions. and B. Run the install_drivers.bat executable and install your drivers. then finally C. Have your device booted up into Normal mode before proceeding with installations unless you are bricked you can have your device in any mode to install TWRP and FFF... :p
    Just puttin that out there so there can be less questions here :)

Good luck to all of you.
    @soupmagnet

Im well aware of my own post in another section.This post is in regards to the kindle fire utility and the bundled drivers and installer. While that post is a more broad post looking for an outside solution to my issue.Since the kindle connects as a adb device, MTP device, and mass storage device there is a more complex setup than most devices
    Okay first off, arguing with another developer about how well their "works" work will get you nowhere on this site and you put yourself at risk of getting a Moderator involved...but that's just some friendly advice from one user to another, so you can take it for what it's worth.

The point of directing you to your original post, where I had posted another link, was so you can educate yourself and have a better foundation that can empower you to make a more educated suggestion/bug report/whatever.

Having said that, if you used the information that you learned from that post, compared it to the way KFU's driver install package works, and respectfully offered a suggestion to the developer that can help to make the KFU work better in more situations, I'm absolutely positive you would get a better response from him and possibly even lead to an updated version that will work in yours and possibly other situations.
    Just picked up the my kindle fire 6.3.2- sorry for the neewb question, however I want to make sure I have the process correct.

download and extract utility to my pc
    run.bat
    install root and SU
    install TWRP
    install FFF
    install custom rom

Thank you for taking the time sorry for the questions

You got it right, except install drivers first before run.bat :p
    Then you just hit the root option and it will install FFF and TWRP on its own ;)

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app