[GUIDE] Install CM7 or CM10 + Recovery to EMMC - ALL NOOK COLORS! (Updated:11/19/12)

Search This thread

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
***Nook Colors manufactured after May 2011 shipped with a different partition scheme, see post 2 for information about it, or just go ahead with the guide since it doesn't affect much! You can identify these nooks as they have a blue dot sticker on the box***

A gentle reminder, this thread should only be for discussion related to the guide itself. Any CM7/10 related issues should be discussed in the appropriate threads either in General or the Development forum. Thanks!

On with the good stuff:

Prologue
This guide is intended to take you through the (mostly windows-based) steps needed to replace your internal nook color rom with CM7/CM9, gapps and clockworkmod or TWRP recovery all on EMMC. This will work coming from any previous rom, including the latest stock software (excluding dual boot set ups, not supporting that here), no previous rooting is needed for a new nook, however don't forget to boot stock and register the device before flashing to CM7/10.

At this point in CM7 development I am recommending installing a CM7.2 build by mrg666 from this thread or an official nightly/stable 7.2 directly from CyanogenMod: http://get.cm/?device=encore

CM10 is based on Android 4.1 (Jellybean) and builds can be found here: http://get.cm/?device=encore or mirrored here: http://techerrata.com/browse/cm/encore/nightly

If you want to run CM7/10 from the sdcard.. you're in the wrong place! Go check out verygreen's thread here for CM7 or here for CM10.

ALWAYS check the md5 hash for the files you are downloading to make sure you don't have corrupted files. This is a great windows utility to do that: http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/

On with the guide:
  1. Download 1gb TWRP image from here OR 1gb CWM 3.2.0.1 sdcard image from here. MD5 of .zip: 1319739d33642ed860e8044c3d55aa56. (I made this based on work in this thread. credit: to cmstlist and DizzyDen, and kevank for hosting). You really only need the 1gb image for this guide, no matter what the size of your card is. A smaller image will burn faster, and when you're done with the guide you can reformat the card anyway.
  2. Extract the twrp or clockworkmod .img (if you can't open the file use 7zip)and burn to sdcard using win32diskimager (free). These apps will need to be "run as administrator." If you're not sure how to do this see step 3 here. ***Some internal laptop/desktop readers will not work to do this, you may need an external USB reader if you run into problems.***
    While that's burning:
  3. Download CM7 or CM10 from the links above.
  4. Download either CWM 3.2.0.1 flashable .zip from here or TWRP 2.x flashable zip from here.
  5. For CM7 -Download the latest gapps gingerbread needed for market/google services) from http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip
  6. For CM10 download gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip from here or here
  7. Once your sdcard is done, copy all those files to the sdcard - DO NOT unzip them
  8. Power off your nook. Put the sdcard in, and power on, the nook will boot from sdcard into TWRP or clockworkmod depeding on which you used. TWRP is touch based and easy to use. Navigate in CWM using the vol up/down keys, N button to accept, power button to go back.
  9. Optional: At this point if you want to make a backup of your current EMMC rom (stock or whatever else you're running) you can. Just go to backup.
  10. Go back and navigate to Install .zip from sdcard/Choose .zip
  11. Flash the files in this order:
    1. cm .zip
    2. gapps
    3. Clockworkmod or TWRP .zip
  12. Once you've flashed the files; in the clockworkmod main menu select "wipe data/factory reset" or in TWRP choose factory reset from the wipe menu.
  13. Go back to the main menu, remove the sdcard
  14. Format the sdcard in your computer as fat32 (or use another sdcard) and put it back in the nook and then press reboot system. (CM7 requires the use of an sdcard for storage - thanks pmilford for the tip)
  15. Once you boot into CM7/10, you'll be presented with a welcome screen and you can add your google acct. You need to have wifi access here (obviously..) so hit menu on the status bar and you can set up wifi.

DONE!

Epilogue:
  1. Now you can format the sdcard to use as a storage card in your nook.
  2. To boot into recovery in the future (in order to update to a newer cm7 build/new kernel or make backups) simply hold down power and then choose reboot - recovery from the menu.
  3. If you want to *gasp* restore to stock 1.2.0 flash nemith's stock image (update-nc-stock-1.2-signed.zip) from here using a recovery sdcard.
  4. In CM7: For those looking to get a honeycomb feel to their Nook, I'd recommend this theme. Download the .apk and install it with file manager (or another of your choice), then go to the Theme Chooser app and scroll all the way left and select the theme (name/picture is broken but theme works). Once you've applied it, reboot. (Credits mad-murdock, Bawb3, haxzamatic and joenathane)
  5. In CM7: To set your CPU/Overclock options go to Menu-Settings-CyanogenMod Settings-Performance.
  6. CM7 for the nook color includes mad-murdock's tablet tweaks, so be sure to set up your preferences in the tablet tweak settings also found in the CM settings menu. Some apps, or you, will hide the status bar (eg watching a full screen video) so I like to set "unhide key" to home so that the N button will show the status bar again.
  7. If you're having market problems see this thread for fixes. (Thanks jalexishg)
  8. Want to say thanks? Hit the thanks button below :)

For more information on CM7 and latest issues/fixes/workarounds please check out the Nightly discussion thread here.

For more information on CM10 and latest issues/fixes/workarounds please check out the Nightly user discussion thread here and the development thread here.

Updating to a newer nightly build

1. Download latest nightly from CM and put it on the sdcard that's in the nook. Easiest way is to either download it directly on the nook itself, or download on pc and use usb drive mode to copy it to the nook sdcard.
  2. Reboot to recovery (from power menu)
  3. Wipe cache
  4. Install zip from sdcard, flash the new nightly .zip
  5. Reboot

I will try to maintain this guide with new information when needed. If anyone has any comments/suggestions feel free to suggest them below or PM me.

For additional help or just Nook Color related chat join us in #nookcolor on Freenode IRC. (if you have no idea what IRC is click here)

Last edited:

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Information for new nook partitions

B+N have made a change as to how they partition the internal storage space on the nook. New nooks are now shipping with new partitions and you can identify these as they have a blue sticker on the box.

Old partitions: 1GB for data (i.e. apps), 5GB for media (books/music/whatever else)
New partitions: 5GB for data, 1GB for media (if you need more media space you use your sdcard)

Clockworkmod 3.2.0.1 (released 6/5/11) is now able to flash roms on the new partition scheme, however you may prefer to restore the old partition method if you like more onboard space for your own files and don't need 5GB for data (apps)

Current options for installing CM7 on the newer partitioned nook are:
1) Just follow the guide above with cwm 3.2.0.1, keep 5GB /data and 1GB /media
2) Follow this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1094371 to repartition your nook into the older 1GB data/5GB media, and then go back to the top and follow my guide. If you want to repartition using the .zips in DeanGibson's thread, you can flash them using the CWM SD you make in steps 1+2 of my guide above, then go on and flash CM7.

Last edited:

swapdotavi

Dec 16, 2010
Awesome! I was *just* starting to look for a guide for getting up to 3.0 now that school is done :) You rock! Perfect timing.

detonate

Apr 16, 2007
This needs to get pinned if it isn't! Thank you so much!

Can you include instructions how to revert to stock for those "just in case" moments?

Also, maybe include a step if a person wants to install tweaks?

luciferii

Feb 26, 2011
goodwork.. and with the bot too.. now we dont have to search for links everytime a noob needs help!

Sent via Cyanogenmod7 Encore RC4 n37/Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: eyeballer

KitF

Dec 14, 2010
Philadelphia
kit.im
Mind if I post this guide over on Android Central forums? The one I have posted over there has gotten kind of unwieldy and I was wanting to start from scratch, but these are good!

robot8

Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for the clear and concise step by steps. Running off SD right now but tagging just for the day when I decide to go eMMC.

swapdotavi

Dec 16, 2010
So this updates to 2.3? I thought this CM7 image was for 3.0? Is there another one I can use to get the 3.0 features?

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
So this updates to 2.3? I thought this CM7 image was for 3.0? Is there another one I can use to get the 3.0 features?

CM7 has always been 2.3, not sure where you read otherwise. There's some honeycomb ports available built from the sdk as source isn't out, feel free to try them, although IMO CM7 is the most stable rom for the nook.

ikryptic

Apr 12, 2011
I tried to install CM7 on my nook color and i didnt follow the proper method and instead saved the CM7 file to the root of my sd card and installed the zip through clockworkrecovery without wiping or cache and now im stuck at the android boot screen. It isnt the CM7 skateboard android boot but rather the plain android root boot screen. If anyone could help it would be helpful thank you! IM crying right now about it :(

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
I tried to install CM7 on my nook color and i didnt follow the proper method and instead saved the CM7 file to the root of my sd card and installed the zip through clockworkrecovery without wiping or cache and now im stuck at the android boot screen. It isnt the CM7 skateboard android boot but rather the plain android root boot screen. If anyone could help it would be helpful thank you! IM crying right now about it :(

This isn't really the place for this post, but if you go back to the first post and look under Epilogue no.4, there's a link to the restore thread.

ottoman1384

Feb 13, 2011
I've been trying to make a backup of my froyo system in recovery and it keeps on saying that the /system cannot be mounted. Any help would be appreciated.

Illusive Man

Oct 14, 2010
Champaign
I'm currently auto-nooted, which leaves the default Nook reader software intact. Will installing CM7 also leave the default Nook reader intact?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***Nook Colors manufactured after May 2011 shipped with a different partition scheme, see post 2 for information about it, or just go ahead with the guide since it doesn't affect much! You can identify these nooks as they have a blue dot sticker on the box***

A gentle reminder, this thread should only be for discussion related to the guide itself. Any CM7/10 related issues should be discussed in the appropriate threads either in General or the Development forum. Thanks!

On with the good stuff:

Prologue
    This guide is intended to take you through the (mostly windows-based) steps needed to replace your internal nook color rom with CM7/CM9, gapps and clockworkmod or TWRP recovery all on EMMC. This will work coming from any previous rom, including the latest stock software (excluding dual boot set ups, not supporting that here), no previous rooting is needed for a new nook, however don't forget to boot stock and register the device before flashing to CM7/10.

At this point in CM7 development I am recommending installing a CM7.2 build by mrg666 from this thread or an official nightly/stable 7.2 directly from CyanogenMod: http://get.cm/?device=encore

CM10 is based on Android 4.1 (Jellybean) and builds can be found here: http://get.cm/?device=encore or mirrored here: http://techerrata.com/browse/cm/encore/nightly

If you want to run CM7/10 from the sdcard.. you're in the wrong place! Go check out verygreen's thread here for CM7 or here for CM10.

ALWAYS check the md5 hash for the files you are downloading to make sure you don't have corrupted files. This is a great windows utility to do that: http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/

On with the guide:
    1. Download 1gb TWRP image from here OR 1gb CWM 3.2.0.1 sdcard image from here. MD5 of .zip: 1319739d33642ed860e8044c3d55aa56. (I made this based on work in this thread. credit: to cmstlist and DizzyDen, and kevank for hosting). You really only need the 1gb image for this guide, no matter what the size of your card is. A smaller image will burn faster, and when you're done with the guide you can reformat the card anyway.
    2. Extract the twrp or clockworkmod .img (if you can't open the file use 7zip)and burn to sdcard using win32diskimager (free). These apps will need to be "run as administrator." If you're not sure how to do this see step 3 here. ***Some internal laptop/desktop readers will not work to do this, you may need an external USB reader if you run into problems.***
      While that's burning:
    3. Download CM7 or CM10 from the links above.
    4. Download either CWM 3.2.0.1 flashable .zip from here or TWRP 2.x flashable zip from here.
    5. For CM7 -Download the latest gapps gingerbread needed for market/google services) from http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip
    6. For CM10 download gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip from here or here
    7. Once your sdcard is done, copy all those files to the sdcard - DO NOT unzip them
    8. Power off your nook. Put the sdcard in, and power on, the nook will boot from sdcard into TWRP or clockworkmod depeding on which you used. TWRP is touch based and easy to use. Navigate in CWM using the vol up/down keys, N button to accept, power button to go back.
    9. Optional: At this point if you want to make a backup of your current EMMC rom (stock or whatever else you're running) you can. Just go to backup.
    10. Go back and navigate to Install .zip from sdcard/Choose .zip
    11. Flash the files in this order:
      1. cm .zip
      2. gapps
      3. Clockworkmod or TWRP .zip
    12. Once you've flashed the files; in the clockworkmod main menu select "wipe data/factory reset" or in TWRP choose factory reset from the wipe menu.
    13. Go back to the main menu, remove the sdcard
    14. Format the sdcard in your computer as fat32 (or use another sdcard) and put it back in the nook and then press reboot system. (CM7 requires the use of an sdcard for storage - thanks pmilford for the tip)
    15. Once you boot into CM7/10, you'll be presented with a welcome screen and you can add your google acct. You need to have wifi access here (obviously..) so hit menu on the status bar and you can set up wifi.

DONE!

Epilogue:
    1. Now you can format the sdcard to use as a storage card in your nook.
    2. To boot into recovery in the future (in order to update to a newer cm7 build/new kernel or make backups) simply hold down power and then choose reboot - recovery from the menu.
    3. If you want to *gasp* restore to stock 1.2.0 flash nemith's stock image (update-nc-stock-1.2-signed.zip) from here using a recovery sdcard.
    4. In CM7: For those looking to get a honeycomb feel to their Nook, I'd recommend this theme. Download the .apk and install it with file manager (or another of your choice), then go to the Theme Chooser app and scroll all the way left and select the theme (name/picture is broken but theme works). Once you've applied it, reboot. (Credits mad-murdock, Bawb3, haxzamatic and joenathane)
    5. In CM7: To set your CPU/Overclock options go to Menu-Settings-CyanogenMod Settings-Performance.
    6. CM7 for the nook color includes mad-murdock's tablet tweaks, so be sure to set up your preferences in the tablet tweak settings also found in the CM settings menu. Some apps, or you, will hide the status bar (eg watching a full screen video) so I like to set "unhide key" to home so that the N button will show the status bar again.
    7. If you're having market problems see this thread for fixes. (Thanks jalexishg)
    8. Want to say thanks? Hit the thanks button below :)

For more information on CM7 and latest issues/fixes/workarounds please check out the Nightly discussion thread here.

For more information on CM10 and latest issues/fixes/workarounds please check out the Nightly user discussion thread here and the development thread here.

Updating to a newer nightly build

1. Download latest nightly from CM and put it on the sdcard that's in the nook. Easiest way is to either download it directly on the nook itself, or download on pc and use usb drive mode to copy it to the nook sdcard.
    2. Reboot to recovery (from power menu)
    3. Wipe cache
    4. Install zip from sdcard, flash the new nightly .zip
    5. Reboot

I will try to maintain this guide with new information when needed. If anyone has any comments/suggestions feel free to suggest them below or PM me.

For additional help or just Nook Color related chat join us in #nookcolor on Freenode IRC. (if you have no idea what IRC is click here)
    Information for new nook partitions

B+N have made a change as to how they partition the internal storage space on the nook. New nooks are now shipping with new partitions and you can identify these as they have a blue sticker on the box.

Old partitions: 1GB for data (i.e. apps), 5GB for media (books/music/whatever else)
    New partitions: 5GB for data, 1GB for media (if you need more media space you use your sdcard)

Clockworkmod 3.2.0.1 (released 6/5/11) is now able to flash roms on the new partition scheme, however you may prefer to restore the old partition method if you like more onboard space for your own files and don't need 5GB for data (apps)

Current options for installing CM7 on the newer partitioned nook are:
    1) Just follow the guide above with cwm 3.2.0.1, keep 5GB /data and 1GB /media
    2) Follow this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1094371 to repartition your nook into the older 1GB data/5GB media, and then go back to the top and follow my guide. If you want to repartition using the .zips in DeanGibson's thread, you can flash them using the CWM SD you make in steps 1+2 of my guide above, then go on and flash CM7.
    Hey guys.. since we're still waiting on Koush to update RM, I put together a flashable zip that will install CWM to emmc. You can download it here http://tinyw.in/8m2c

Just flash with a bootable cwm card.

If you want to try TWRP recovery see this thread for all the flashable zips.
    Updated the guide to reflect use of nightly 102 (or onwards). At this point the new nightlies are very stable and have way so many improvements and fixes over 7.0.3 stable that it's not worth using anything else.

CM 7.1 RC1 is around the corner, possibly this weekend.

Also, there's a new gapps 6/13, so if updating to newer nightlies I suggest flashing that too since they're meant for android 2.3.4 (some background market changes).
    I installed cm7 per the instructions in the first post. It went really well.

Now, I would like to root. If I have implemented the steps in this guide, what is the best approach to rooting without bricking my blue dot nook? Just follow the instructions for manualnooter or something else?

Done this at once. Great description, works smooth and nice. But... I can't get root. May be it's stupid, but all apps, requiring root are not working. 'su' in Terminal tells me 'permission denied'.
    This is my first time CyanogenMod try, I used Froyo before. Did I do smth wrong?

Ooops, there is another happy user just 2 seconds ahead of me :)

First thanks everyone for putting this dummies guide. It's SUPER easy to follow.

I has Phiremod 6.1 previously. It used to work well, with not so great battery obviously.

Recently hopped on to the Cm7 nightly bandwagon. Wiped everything for a clean install. Formatted system, data, cache, Dalvic Cache.

Then installed Nightly 107 + 6/13 Gapps. Did NOT flash overclock kernel, since I don't want to overclock the nook.

I have the CPU at 925 MAX and 300 min.

Everything is SUPER except Youtube video playback. Almost all videos are choppy with frames slower than normal. (running youtube desktop site on miren browser).

I've tried EVERYTHING. Fixed permissions twice using ROM manager. Uninstalled, and reinstalled - browser, flash etc.

Then I went back to Nightly 102. No luck!

Can anyone please help? Is the choppy youtube video playback a known issue in CM7?
    This NEVER happened to me in Phiremod 6.1, because I used to watch tons of tennis highlights on youtube and the playback was smooth..

Can I flash something else and make this problem go away?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, superuser is broken in the last couple of nightlies, just flash this in recovery after flashing the rom and you'll be all set.
    http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip