Nexus 10 vs Nexus 7(or any other tablet/phone) comparison/discussion

Search This thread

calden74

Sep 24, 2011
Thanks for that. Its a good comparison.

Keeping on-topic for the thread, I've got a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (SGH-T869), a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 10. My wife has a Galaxy Tab 7 2.0, a Nexus 7, and a Galaxy Note 2. I don't regret any of the purchases at all, especially not my Nexus 10.

I use the 7" tablet for different things than the 10". I don't really like reading on any of the tablets, they're all too heavy to hold comfortably for an extended period of time, thats what my Kindle Paperwhite is for. I really like having the right tool for the job in my day-to-day life.

The Nexus 10 is great for looking things up. The larger display fits most web sites much better, especially when paired with Dolphin browser or similar. Its also fantastic for watching movies or other videos on. I've also used it to work on spreadsheets, edit documents and play a few games. When we visit family, the large screen is much better for sharing pictures on. With a TPU case and a basic stand, its still heavy but manageable.

The 7" tablets are great for sharing with the kids and use when on the go. Much easier to read the screen than a phone when looking things up online. They're much more portable and can easily fit in my wife's purse or dropped in the diaper bag when we're going out. The same can't be said about the 10" tablets.

The only thing I don't like about the 10" tablets, is that they still cost more than a decent laptop, but then again, they have different purposes.

The battery life on my Nexus 10 blows away the battery life on all the other devices. I can easily get 5-6 hours of use on the Nexus 10 without even thinking about plugging it in. I don't use it every day, but it also seems to hibernate better than the others. I can leave it idle for 3-4 days from a full charge and still have an 80% charge when I pick it up again. Its the only device I've ever had that I can say that about.

I really don't think I could live with the Tab's 7 Plus 1024 x 600 resolution. Anyway if you ever decide to replace your Tab may I suggest you look at the Kindle 7 HDX. Its an absolute brilliant tablet, just install a different launcher like, "Smart Launcher Pro" and an app store, "Mobogenie" and you'll have one of the nicest looking, fastest(Qualcomm 800), great sounding (seriously I don't think I have ever heard better), unbreakable (thing is built like a tank especially when paired with an Otter case), best spec'd(2GB RAM and Miracast), reasonably priced(200 for the base model, LTE costs an additional 80), 7 inch tablet around.

If you don't want to goof around with installing additional packages to make the Kindle into the ultimate tablet, both my kids have a EVGA Note 7 and I have to say their pretty incredible. Like the Nexus 7 the EVGA is updated frequently but what makes this a killer product is the insanely fast Tegra 4 CPU, HDMI out, an active digitizer pen for fantastic note taking, SD card and even though it only has 1GB of memory do to the low memory foot print of the OS it shouldn't be a problem. My kids use their PlayStation Controllers with them and our 55" inch Samsung TV connected via built in HDMI at 1080P, making it one heck of a great portable gaming system.

Just a thought, this thread is about comparing different products. On a side note I would defiantly stay away from Samsungs Tab 7 Plus replacement like the Tab 3 7 or Tab 4 7, their just absolute junk that will be outdated the second you open the box to take them out. Especially when the competition blows them out of the water spec wise for the same money. I'm not saying you made a bad choice with your Tab 7 plus as at the time their wasn't much competition in the 7" range, but now it would be an utterly retarded decision to buy a Tab 3 or Tab 4, that includes the 8" and 10.1" models as well. Did you know the Tab 3 8 has the exact same CPU as your Tab 7 Plus, Samsung actually stuck a 3 1/2 year old CPU in a 2013, 300 dollar tablet, insane. They are now trying to sell their new Tab 4 10.1 with a resolution of 1280 x 800 for 400 dollars. Absolutely ridiculous when a 2 year old Nexus 10 is not only cheaper but is still faster, has an incredible resolution that wipes the floor with the Tab 4's crappy 720P, 2GB of RAM and a much better build quality. Yeah, I guess you can say I have issues with Samsung's Tab line.

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston
I got myself a good working condition used Nexus 7 2013 last week, it follows in the refurbished Nexus 10 I got in November, and I'll probably sell my Nexus 7 2012 given how good and cheap are the external USB batteries, I got a 60% charge from a $20 external battery which recharges as fast as the Nexus 7 draws power, I complained and got another free external battery so I'm not really feeling I'll be caught out with a flat battery.

The Nexus 7 2012 vs Nexus 7 vs 2013 vs Nexus 10....

The Nexus 10 blows away everything else on its big bright crisp display and its front stereo speakers combined with the battery life the alternatives of a large-screen netbook alternative.

The Nexus 7 2012 is actually up there in maximum single-handed size, the Nexus 7 2013 is actually "too small" in that it is narrower and way too much bezel. I was thinking if you took the Nexus 7 2012 size, slightly bigger, and made very little bezel, gave it front speakers, so it is primarily to put on a kick-stand type case, it is getting nearer to the Nexus 10.

My Nexus 10 with whatever internal hardware issues it has, suffers when given too much work to do, so it lends itself to doing just one or two things are once like watching a video and keeping on top of emails, but not significantly more as if I try to open more than couple of Chrome tabs it does a reset. So I've been using other Nexus alongside the nexus 10 to in effect give the multi-tasking capability.

If I take the N7 2012 and stretch it's size a little to the maximum a single-hand can operate and have little bezel you get 8"-8.5" which then erodes from underneath the N10.

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston
Nexus 10 slow

I got a N7 2013 refurbished a few weeks ago with 30 day warranty so I used it and not my N10 to ensure any faults with the N7 arose in warranty. I had no isues so then resumed using my N10. Boy, the N10 is SLOW. I see now the lag if I'm scrolling up/down the page bends in that the left is slightly ahead of the right.

The N10's total pixels is too much for the poor ickle cpu+gpu.

Also, same old problem, I can only really do 1 thing at once on it.

I also got a N5 recently and same experience, the N10 then seems really slow.

I love my N10 for consuming media but as a regular-use device its just too unreliable and slow compared to products even just a few months after. Glad I got used $278 and not new. The $170 N7 refurbished but the N5 expensive at $385 (delivered).

bluetooth_decay

Jul 19, 2009
Texas, baby!
I shunned tablets for a long time because I couldn't rationalize paying as much as a laptop for something that didn't do as much as a laptop (I know, different use case and all that, but still). The ones that were cheaper had 1024x600 displays, which I didn't think I could live with. But then the N7 came out in 2012, with decent specs and a decent price, so I got one.

I enjoyed it, fortunately didn't have the build problems some others did. The browsers had a few issues (still do), but it was great for reading, even 1-handed.

When the N10 came out, I bought one because I just had to see that monster display. As it turns out, though, for surfing I used it more than the N7 as I'm getting to an age where my close-up vision isn't what it used to be. My girlfriend's N7 met a tragic fate, so I gave mine to her (she's an avid reader and loves the portable library aspect of it).

The N10 is considerably heavier, no longer a 1-handed affair with the case I have on it (I'd say it's close to 2 lbs). And I agree with some other comments that the CPU/GPU may not always be up to the task of driving that screen. Swiping in the launcher is OK, but scrolling in some apps stutters. Using Chrome or Firefox is frustrating, with the wait for pages to load, touch lag, scrolling stuttering, and delayed page reflow. The N7 just felt faster (and my 8-year-old PC is a LOT faster). I'm trying some alternative browsers now to see if I can get around that.

My worst gripe about the N10, though, is that web sites and many apps treat it as a phone. It's lovely going to some site and getting the typical giant block text and 3 or 4 buttons, which on the N10 have dimensions larger than the physical size of my phone. I've forced all the browsers to desktop mode, but that makes interacting with sites difficult as the designers expect abilities like mouse hover and clicking-and-dragging, which the N10 obviously can't do without a mouse (which I don't carry all the time with my tablet).

Many apps are just as bad. The house-shopping apps I have, for instance, all rotate the display into landscape for picture viewing, then back to portrait for the text. I guess I'll have to sue their companies over the RSI I'm getting picking this 2-lb tablet up and rotating it every time.

But neither of those is technically the N10's fault, and if I had to choose between the N7 and N10, I'd choose the N10. I probably won't buy another Android tablet anytime soon unless this one breaks, or I find a good deal on a 7" I can use for my car nav system. (I looked at the Galaxy Note tablets, as I was intrigued by the pen digitizer, but it's too slow to keep up with my handwriting. On a $600 device. What a disappointment.)

ronald_loulan

Apr 14, 2010
Im looking for a 10" tab recently...
Im eyeing on Ipad 3 or Nexus 10 at the moment as the price for used unit were almost the same...
Im looking to use for browsing,media and presentation....
Mind to share that is there any known problem on N10 like bleeding display??
Im looking to use it for 2 or 3 more years...
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I own both so here is my 2 cents...

The N10, for me, is better all around tablet. The screen is far better, it's thinner, faster and smoother than the N7, and the front facing speakers are great. The N10 also has a micro HDMI port for connecting to projector for work presentations. Battery life is great.

The N7 is of course more portable and can be palmed in one hand. the battery life is also good, but not as good as the N10.

Anyway, I basically gave my N7 to my 5 year old daughter.
    It's not shopped. This was my best ever result hence the screenshot. That cycle included a lot of reading on low brightness, but I generally average about 16 hours screen time. I don't game or do anything particularly intensive however. That said, my Xoom would top out at about 8.5 hours with the same usage. Anyway, I know I won't get the same usage with a N10 and I'm happy to charge nightly. I'm more interested in the overall experience of the device after coming from a jailbroken iPad.

Regards.

Seeing as nobody actually answered your question in any kind of literate manner, I'll help you out. So really the ipad vs nexus debate comes down to what you use your tablet for.

Personally, the like of access to the filesystem, ability to download stuff (via samba, SSH, http... whatever), play anything other than mp4/mp3 and being forced to use itunes is what drove me to android from my ipad 3. I get similar battery life on my nexus to what I used to get on my ipad, maybe 10-20% worse but it's fine in general - who actually has more than 6.5 consecutive hours/day (which is roughly what I get with screen brightness @ 75%) to play with their tablet anyway? I wish I did! Also, you can use usb OTG on the N10 which is brill. Google's cloud services beat the **** out of icloud too.

Downsides over the ipad are that the Android "ecosystem" (eugh) is still less mature, particularly where tablets are concerned. It is slowly catching up but ultimately any company will firstly focus on their IOS experience before they even make an Android app, let alone having feature parity between the platforms. This will change as Android tablets become dominant in the marketplace, the same was it already did for phones. Saying that though, a fairly significant chunk of the apps I use on my Android devices aren't even allowed on i-devices: tubemate, flash, andftp and terminal emulator for instance. Also it's not as quite as polished in general as the iOS UI, though it's not too far away in my experience when using the latest stock 4.2.2 release, rooted with AOSP browser installed.

Speakers are a hand-down win for the Nexus. Screen on both are excellent. Screen is a tricky one though... personally I saw my N10's screen for the first time (coming from an ipad) and thought "wow" because of the resolution, but others are disappointed with colours and contrast. I think it's fine personally. Also, I really like the plastic back for a simple reason: I don't need any kind of case! I wish they made a phone with the same materials, my N4 is stupidly fragile by comparison.

Browsing is a funny one. In some ways the ipad is better: Slightly quicker, slightly better compatibility with **** webpages. In other ways its considerably worse: No adobe flash (which, as a frequent pron-watcher, is unforgivable) and no bookmark sync as Safari is a POS on anything other than Apple hardware. Yes, you can use Chrome on iOS to get the bookmark sync but then you loose the speed advantage.
    Anyone thinking of changing their Nexus 10 for the new 7?

My main reason is that it's easier to use and smaller. The 10 in portrait is uncomfortable to use and in landscape surfing the web also.

It will have the same 2GB RAM, less battery, good screen, notification LED, good processor, etc.

I just sold my n10 and got the new n7 today. While the large screen and great resolution was nice, the new N7 has a better screen (IMO) and equal or better performance.

Plus, my n10 never felt 'zippy' or very responsive. I tried every variety of ROM, kernal, O/C, interface (tablet, phablet, phone). My preference is to use a laptop, small (under 8 inch or smaller) tablet, and a phone. Each is great, without trying to be in the adjacent category.
    I currently have a 1st-generation iPad, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013), and Nexus 10. I also owned the 1st-generation Nexus 7 prior to getting my Nexus 10.

Among all of these devices, I prefer using the Nexus 7 for almost everything. It's very comfortable to hold compared to the N10, and very easy to read on compared to the N4, i.e. it's the best of both worlds. When using the N7, I don't find myself wishing for a bigger screen. I love that the N7 fits in most of my pant pockets. Also, the N7 seems to get the best battery life of the three Nexus devices.

I require two tablets in my household - they are so great as media-consumption devices for our two children while taking car trips. I'm thinking I should sell my iPad and N10, and just buy another new Nexus 7.

Lastly, I should mention that I have never liked the iPad, due mainly to my various gripes about the iOS ecosystem.

- DDB
    Sell your TF300. Do it!

Came from TF101 > TF300 > Nexus 7 > Nexus 10.

Like you I loved my TF300. But it was slow & stuttery for me especially when multitasking. Asus used cheap memory that's why it has poor I/O speeds. It felt just a tad bit faster than the TF101.

Then went for the Nexus 7. I thought this tablet was fast! But it chokes when downloading stuff and browsing at the same time. I figured Asus may have used some cheap memory again on this tablet :(

Then came my Nexus 10. You can multi task properly with minimal lag. (Yes there is still lag when multitasking but it will not make you want to pull your hair out). Choking was gone and my tablet responds smoothly. Very happy with the N10's performance!