[GUIDE] I9000 Screen Replacement

Search This thread

Luiz.

Nov 20, 2008
Congratulations that you repaired it well.
What did you use for heating the front panel? And about that old display, were both components (SAMOLED panel and glass digitezer) glued to each other? My point is that I got there little dust i would like to remove it, so is it possible or it's demountable unit.

yrizan

Sep 25, 2007
For heating a hairdryer will do :). Be careful so the device dont get to hot. Im sorry to say about the digitizer and samoled screen. The comes glued together from the factory and almost impossible to take apart without breaking anything.

For the heating of the glass part just consentrate on top on bottom of the glas, thats where most of the are placed.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

yrizan

Sep 25, 2007
Here is the old screen after i got it off the phone. Its impossible to remove without breaking it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 2,665

yrizan

Sep 25, 2007
For those who have problems melting the glue, a sharp knife or a flat screwdriver around the edge will do. Just force the old screen off. Be carefull with the metallic ring around the screen so it dont take to much damage. There is nothing under the screens edges that can take damage, only a wire from the center of the glas down to the home button. And from earlier posts, be carefull with the back and option butto, as there is censors glued to the screen.

eRajesh

Jul 15, 2010
Kolkata
My phone has dropped like 10-12 times from my hand on the marble floor from a pretty good height. Nothing until now!

Luiz.

Nov 20, 2008
Which reseller did you pick up on ebay? and pls would you look at ruins of old display and tell me if there is some space between digitizer and display itself. I'm just try find out some method how remove that dust under digitizer (got there glistening sawdust at the right left edge it's not metal - doesn't react with magnet). I thought that i use needle to puncture glue which links display and digitizer and then I'll be able to move that dust by spike of needle. So i hope that glue is plastic and nedlee will go through.
and one more question is are there any 'void' stickers inside? Thx for tips

Apr 5, 2008
Calgary
I got the screen off.
No need to loosen the metaling ring around. The screen in dropped in the chassis from the front.
On the mainboard, just pop off the screen cable, long and flat next to the SD card slot.

The next step is very strange, just use brute force and crack the screen off the chassis, start from the top

When you get around the home button, be careful. Samsung has clued 2 sensors to the screen and chassis for back and option button. Best thing to do here is bend the screen back a little and cut loos the sensors from the digitizer with a sharp knife/scalpel. Samsung has used insane amount of clue on this phone.

Both the digitizer and amoled screen was clued to the chassis.

The next step is to clean off all the clue, buy loads of glue. Fill the chassis with glue and press the new screen on.

Wish me luck.

Ill keep you posted.
Hello,

I also dropped my Glaxy S (admittedly from 5+ feet onto concrete with no case - my fault, don't ask) and was looking to replace the screen / digitizer. Thank you soooo much for posting; yours is the first I was able to find with any sort of detailed instructions / hope for success.

I was wondering if you could post a link to where you purchased your parts from? If you are unable to post links yet (I know that I'm not able) a PM would be wondeful.

Thanks so much again!

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
I'm propably going to use some soft glue like silicone. I think that it could work as a bumper between screen and chassis so it could maybe withstand drops better.

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
Removed my screen today, now waiting for new arriving from Hong Kong. I took couple of photos after the screen was removed. You can see the two sensors at the bottom where I had to be very careful when removing screen. It felt like they would rip apart anytime. My luck was that the glue used was very soft and by prying very slowly the screen removed easily. Took about 30min to remove but would have gone faster if my screen wouldn't been shattered near home button. Little glass and amoled pieces are everywhere. I recommend to keep safety glasses on when removing screen because it shatters easily and pieces fly long way. My hand is now like a disco ball. Tools used are seen on the photos. I also used a little kitchen knife but not much so I didn't include it in the photo. There are still little pieces of glass which I have to remove before applying new screen. Gotta figure out how to remove those.

Attachments

• 100815_192636.jpg
    100815_192636.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 8,004
  • 100815_192655.jpg
    100815_192655.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 6,436
  • 100815_192747.jpg
    100815_192747.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 5,512
  • 100815_192847.jpg
    100815_192847.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 5,748
  • 100815_192925.jpg
    100815_192925.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 5,795
  • 100815_192948.jpg
    100815_192948.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 4,438
  • 100815_193000.jpg
    100815_193000.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 4,209
Last edited:

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
New screen arrived. Now to install it. I will post some photos before install and after. Btw. New screen has newer component than old one. New screens rev. is 7.7 and old one is 7.6. Maybe not a big difference in use but we'll see.

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
Okay so screen install was a success, kind of... I used some double sided carpet tape to glue screen on chassis. There was some glue already on the new screen so I used tape only on corners. Hence there is no photo where you could see where I placed tape bits. I should have looked the new screen better because it didn't have the speaker shield with it. Now my phone does not have that shield :S There's a photo about that. Second weird thing is that it looks like the screen is misaligned to the digitizer. You can see this copper colored edge on the top edge of screen. There's photo about that also. Takes some time to be used to that :S Installed the screen and packed all up. Then I was afraid that my install was not successfull because phone wouldn't boot. My luck was that battery was dead so plugged phone to wall and screen came alive with battery loading logo. Don't know yet that is the screen misaligned. Have to wait it charge full and boot up. Then look some photos in gallery and compare them to photos on computer. I hope that there's no problem. I would hate send it back to hong kong. So here are the photos I mentioned about.

PS. Maybe the rev. difference mentioned earlier is that copper edge :p

Attachments

• 100817_114727.jpg
    100817_114727.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 3,426
  • 100817_121759.jpg
    100817_121759.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 4,977
  • 100817_115315.jpg
    100817_115315.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 4,720
  • 100817_115206.jpg
    100817_115206.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 4,777
  • 100817_125444.jpg
    100817_125444.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 4,726
  • 100817_125524.jpg
    100817_125524.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 4,777
Last edited:
Reactions: Samsara69

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
Had to remove new screen because it was faulty. I was missing like ~10 or more pixel lines on bottom. I'm sending package back to Hong Kong tomorrow. About two weeks and I should have new screen again. I also have to come up with a different way to attach screen to chassis. Tape did not hold screen well. It was too easy to remove screen this time :p

ronalgps

Mar 27, 2009
aalst
glass is broken

hey
see my photos and let me know what i have to change but my amoled screen is ok but my glass is damaged

Attachments

• P1020529.jpg
    P1020529.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,232
  • P1020531.jpg
    P1020531.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,644

Taifuuni89

Nov 16, 2008
I think that it's pretty much impossible to change only the glass. Display is glued rock hard to the glass. Removing glass would tear the super thin amoled display. Sorry m8

yrizan

Sep 25, 2007
I had the same problem. Broken glas and ok amoled. Impossible to change only the glas. The other problem. Glas and amoled is not sold separatly, you have to buy both for 99$.

yrizan

Sep 25, 2007
The perfect glue for the jobb is this one. (see picture)
It melt around 120 celsius. Have a rubbery feeling and fill out if its uneven under the screen. I used the backend of a matchstick to apply it. After about 14 days, my screen stil sitt perfectly in place.

Attachments

• ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,365

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This topic has clues for replacing the screen. I have not concluded an manual for chancing it yet but reading this whole topic gives you the big picture how it is done. Questions are always welcome and I try to answer them with my knowledge. This 1st post gives you 2 links to follow for pics about changing screen and my own starting point for chancing my own screen.

Has anyone bought and installed a digitizer+screen set which is on sale at ebay? I could not post direct link to ebay because I'm a newbie on these forums. You can find the product searching ebay with these keywords "I9000 digitizer". My galaxy's screen cracked and I need an replacement. Both screen and glass broke. I think that this set includes them both. There is also told in the questions that the set infact includes amoled display and not LCD as the title says.

Second question is that does someone have an service manual somewhere. Would be nice to know how to break apart my phone when replacing screen.

Third question is that doesn't samsung vibrant and galaxy s share the same chassis but different screen with more capacitive buttons. Could it be possible to install vibrant's screen to galaxy s?

PS. The way my galaxy brokedown is very funny. I lay down my phone on the kitchen table and the screen cracked. I was like OMFG when I heard the cracking noise. Phone was like 13 days old. Samsung does not repair it with warranty because they think that it wasn't an manufacturing defect. They said that I have dropped my phone and that's the way it broke. That could not be the case because I handled it like a baby. I would have to pay 255€ for new screen and digitizer. Hell no!! I'm a student so that sum does not fit with my wallet.

New screen installed, see posts http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7683527&postcount=37 and http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7710572&postcount=40

Edit: Ebay's prices have rised noticeable in the last couple of months. At the moment the price for these screens is around 100$. I found this site which sells them for 60£. http://www.shineyourmobile.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=8128
    I haven't read of anybody just replacing only the glass yet. But I have managed to replace only the glass and it works!

I fell skiing at Heavenly on December 27th. The Gorilla Glass did not survive.

I bought the glass from eBay that same night http://www.ebay.com/itm/25095815361...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1340wt_958 for $4.99 + $4.99 ship from an Australian distributor. I arrived today and I started working on it at 1pm. I searched YouTube and found a bunch of videos on how to remove everything up to the digitizer and glass assembly, but nothing after that!

At this point I cracked open the phone and followed the video thinking there was more. The logical think to do would have been to watch the video all the way through at first. And I guess since my SGS works, I'm fortunate that I didn't!

The glass on the phone was completely shattered with no pieces larger than dime left whole. So I started around the top edge first. Once I gain confidence on separating the glass from the thick layer of glue using an Olfa L-2 knife, I started in on the capacitive buttons. Here the glass had shattered to pieces about 1/16 - 1/8th of an inch, relatively easy to remove using the knife to at first wedge, then pry upwards. Both buttons work fine, but I was really careful and it took a bit of time to do. Thinking that was the hardest part was foolish thinking in hindsight...

Clearing the rest of the digitizer is a chore I care not to do again. But it is possible! It took about 3 hours to remove every sliver of glass. As it is like safety glass, it shatters into fragments easily. And once that's done you need to clean up the glue, laced with fine glass dust that can potentially scratch the digitizer. I did it with 50% alcohol and polishing compound. It took the better part of an hour, but it was the only thing I had around the house. Somebody mentioned ethanol on this thread, I'd go with that instead.

You will see a few nicks and scratches on the digitizer. I was will to accept this since I am eyeing a Galaxy Note and this phone is going to to be permanently stationed in the car (the Torque OBDII app works like a dream, it has GPS, is a web browser and plays music though my bluetooth car audio, and can share the 3G data plan. Name a head unit that does all that?). And in all honesty, with the glass installed it looks better than I expected.

To install the glass I used double-sided tape. I heated up the tape with a blow dryer when I sealed everything up, and pressed firmly on all sides to insure a good bond. I was disheartened to find that the digitizer did not respond to every touch. Turns out this was the effect of the warmed glass. As it cooled the touch response time got back to normal. Also be careful of over heating the glass and pressing too hard on the corners of the digitizer. I have a red spot in the edge of a corner I pressed. If I were to do it again, gluing (the type discussed earlier in the thread.) would be the way to go. Finally finished around 6pm. And everything works!

Good luck!
    Removed my screen today, now waiting for new arriving from Hong Kong. I took couple of photos after the screen was removed. You can see the two sensors at the bottom where I had to be very careful when removing screen. It felt like they would rip apart anytime. My luck was that the glue used was very soft and by prying very slowly the screen removed easily. Took about 30min to remove but would have gone faster if my screen wouldn't been shattered near home button. Little glass and amoled pieces are everywhere. I recommend to keep safety glasses on when removing screen because it shatters easily and pieces fly long way. My hand is now like a disco ball. Tools used are seen on the photos. I also used a little kitchen knife but not much so I didn't include it in the photo. There are still little pieces of glass which I have to remove before applying new screen. Gotta figure out how to remove those.
    SOLVED with 6€ (only glass ) !!!

Tks "devonblue4u" : D

you were the only one with courage like me, and I read your post carefully before you venture into the place of "GLASS ONLY OUTSIDE".

I purchased the glass only by E-Bay about 6 € (arrived in about 10 days) :)

I wanted to say that with my method you put about 2 hours without disassembling the phone!

get yourself a micro optical screwdriver, something hard and plastic is not very sharp, knife and .... the REMOVE SILICONE [/ B] spray ( 3€ ).

spray the spray along the edge of the glass of the phone until it starts to become unstuck from the edge of the glass and try to separate the edge, taking care to contacts of the lower part.

Once separated the plastic lip (helping with screwdrivers and plastic tool and cutter always being careful to touch the glass) to try to divide the 2 glass with the cutter and the spray (always doing dissolve the glue of the adhesive).

after removing all the broken glass, clean the glue touch the glass with alcohol and then remount the board appoggiateci pasting over the glass again with very little glue (I used bostik) being careful not to smudge the glass.
    If you made ​​a mistake of gluing always use the "remove silicone" to remove the bostik (or silicon) clean and put the glue.

: D

Good luck.

Umby
    It took me 3 hours for first time since I didn't know procedure.

I've followed youtube video for disassembly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9XNnjAcBc).

You have to be very careful and use non-metal tools so you don't damage case.

It's not so scary with keypad sensors on bottom (just at the 85% of disassembly be very careful).

I had bad luck and bought faulty display with bad touch (left side of display was always active, numbers are being dialed by self). I just return back and got a new one.

Don't glue anything or take off screen protect until you try if everything is OK.

*See image if you want to know where you need to use glue.