[Q] Syncing Pictures to Contacts

Search This thread

Kraynes71

Aug 16, 2010
Hello. Quick question about syncing facebook profile pictures to contacts: has anyone had success with this? I tried using SyncMyPix, but it didn't work. It says it retrieves the pictures, but I think there may be a problem with my contacts that won't allow the app to sync. I also tried the Facebook app, but I couldn't figure out how it works. Does anyone have any suggestions for either of these problems, or maybe another app that works well? Thanks in advance!

wuxingwarrior3

Aug 12, 2010
I've been wondering the same thing! Can't get the facebook app to work and have tried several third party programs but none seem to get the job done. I read somewhere that another android user (droid x?) was having problems but found a fix by deleting facebook app, removing all her contacts (especially gmail ones), then redownloaded the facebook app and allowed syncing, then added her contacts. Supposedly this worked for her but I have not tried it. I would love to know how to sync facebook pictures with contacts.

JerseyFF

May 1, 2010
Chattanooga
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
In the market you can find an app.called "SyncMyPix". This will do the magic for you in pulling Facebook pictures down for your contacts. Free app, give it a try and report back some results.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

jsmith8858

Nov 11, 2008
Boston
The Facebook app "androgeny" worked great for me to sync my pics to my Google contacts, had no issues at all, thought it was very straight-forward. Plus, you can manually specify mappings as needed.

Kraynes71

Aug 16, 2010
Ok, so I searched for androgeny, couldn't find it in the market (also searched it as two words and spelling genie, couldn't find either). Also, unless I'm mistaken my contacts aren't Google contacts, I don't use Gmail nor are my contacts synced to any of my email accounts.

I tried syncing pictures again using SyncMyPix, now I have a few more specific details. The results aren't listed as errors, but as not found. I tried manually linking, and it gives me this message "This contact is read-only and can not be linked". I tried copying a contact to the phone, but it still gives the same message.

The idea of deleting apps and contacts seems kind of cumbersome, any suggestions on an easy method of storing contacts somewhere to reload them in order to try the method mentioned above?

Last edited:
Reactions: NQNH

wuxingwarrior3

Aug 12, 2010
Ok, so I searched for androgeny, couldn't find it in the market (also searched it as two words and spelling genie, couldn't find either). Also, unless I'm mistaken my contacts aren't Google contacts, I don't use Gmail nor are my contacts synced to any of my email accounts.

I tried syncing pictures again using SyncMyPix, now I have a few more specific details. The results aren't listed as errors, but as not found. I tried manually linking, and it gives me this message "This contact is read-only and can not be linked". I tried copying a contact to the phone, but it still gives the same message.

The idea of deleting apps and contacts seems kind of cumbersome, any suggestions on an easy method of storing contacts somewhere to reload them in order to try the method mentioned above?

I agree, the process sounds very cumbersome which is why I haven't tried it. I'm thinking that Facebook has recently changed picture-saving permissions for mobile apps because I can't save pics (captivate) and neither can my wife (iphone) so maybe that's where the problem lies.

opiespank

Jul 30, 2010
I was able to sync all of my facebook contacts without any extra app using the jh2 build. Not sure if it is something they added in this build or if it is in the stock build, but under the sync settings when I added facebook, at the end of the wizard, it asked what contacts I wanted to sync.

I ended just syncing all contacts and displaying just ones with phone numbers. Now facebook pics and numbers are in my contacts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

wuxingwarrior3

Aug 12, 2010
I'm happy to note that I got Syncmypix to work! I was getting the read-only error as well, and in order to circumvent this problem all you have to do is the following:
1. Export all your contacts to SD card
2. Go to gmail and click contacts
3. Under more actions, click import
4. Import the vcf file with all your contacts
5. Then on your phone go to Contacts > Settings > Display Options and uncheck phone and sim. Make sure the google account that you imported all your contacts to is checked.
6. Then sync your gmail contacts (Contacts > Settings > More > Accounts > gmail account > Sync Contacts

And voila! your contacts are no longer read-only. Go back into the syncmypix app and watch as it magically syncs all your friends pictures to contacts :)

Kraynes71

Aug 16, 2010
This looks like a great idea! However, I can't quite figure out the gmail import step. Are you using the gmail app? If so, then I can't find it through the app. I tried looking on the website through my phone also, but I still couldn't figure out how to do that.

Thanks for your help so far!

wuxingwarrior3

Aug 12, 2010
This looks like a great idea! However, I can't quite figure out the gmail import step. Are you using the gmail app? If so, then I can't find it through the app. I tried looking on the website through my phone also, but I still couldn't figure out how to do that.

Thanks for your help so far!

I can't find gmail contacts through the app or the browser. I guess it must be done through the computer. The .vcf file is really tiny so you should be able to send it through email and save to your computer. Here's a pic to help you find contacts in Gmail on your pc
gmail%20contacts.jpg

Kraynes71

Aug 16, 2010
So, I've tried pretty much everything I can think of at this point. I did get all of my contacts to sync to gmail, and then linked them with my phone contacts easily enough. I tried running SyncMyPix, still no luck. Then I tried turning the sync facebook account setting under Contacts>Settings>Accounts, but that didn't do anything (not sure if it's even supposed to). Next, I uninstalled both the facebook app and SyncMyPix, restarted my phone, reinstalled both apps but still no luck. I can manually link the contacts now (Thanks for that!), but no magical syncing. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

warnow

Aug 18, 2010
So, I've tried pretty much everything I can think of at this point. I did get all of my contacts to sync to gmail, and then linked them with my phone contacts easily enough. I tried running SyncMyPix, still no luck. Then I tried turning the sync facebook account setting under Contacts>Settings>Accounts, but that didn't do anything (not sure if it's even supposed to). Next, I uninstalled both the facebook app and SyncMyPix, restarted my phone, reinstalled both apps but still no luck. I can manually link the contacts now (Thanks for that!), but no magical syncing. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having the same problem. If I manually link each profile it will check if there needs an update but it is not matching fb profiles to my contacts, even if it has their first and last name.

TexUs

Jul 1, 2010
Might give SyncBook a try.

It worked for me initially however it doesn't seem to be copying down any new photos (even though I tell it to overwrite old ones).

warnow

Aug 18, 2010
So the problem with importing the contacts with gmail and then only displaying the gmail ones is that when you text message, the auto fill in contact displays the name from the sim and the Gmail list. Any ways around this? I can't figure out a way to delete all contacts on sim

covsound1

Jun 1, 2010
facebook

i have over 2500 friends and the android facebook app with the latest build well not load my friends it tells me my list is to large but it worked fine under last build and phone unrooted! any one with the same problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.