Galaxy S4

Search This thread

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
Now that the Galaxy S4 has finally been unveiled are any of you planning to upgrade to it? It's definitely an upgrade from the S3, but not as much as I hoped it would be. Don't get me wrong, the screen is gorgeous and it obviously has more horsepower, but side by side next to an S3 you'd be hard pressed to know they're different phones by a quick glance.

My upgrade just came up and I was waiting on this phone but now I think I'm considering the Note II again due to the development it already has and it's (more than) stellar battery life. If the price drops soon due to the S4 release then I will most likely go pick it up. I was also thinking of waiting for the Note III but my patience is wearing thin...

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHqZQ7NgDSo

Last edited:

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
Now that the Galaxy S4 has finally been unveiled are any of you planning to upgrade to it? It's definitely an upgrade from the S3, but not as much as I hoped it would be. Don't get me wrong, the screen is gorgeous and it obviously has more horsepower, but side by side next to an S3 you'd be hard pressed to know they're different phones by a quick glance.

My upgrade just came up and I was waiting on this phone but now I think I'm considering the Note II again due to the development it already has and it's (more than) stellar battery life. If the price drops soon due to the S4 release then I will most likely go pick it up. I was also thinking of waiting for the Note III but my patience is wearing thin...

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHqZQ7NgDSo

honestly, I wasn't impressed with the s4. I'm more impressed with the note 2. that phone is and was kicking ass and taking names

shahkam

Jan 22, 2011
Canada
Not really impressed only some minor changes here and there I'm happy whit my s3 even tho I might buy an htc one because it is very good looking phone !

Sent From My HyperDrived S3.

Reactions: sangeev

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
Not really impressed only some minor changes here and there I'm happy whit my s3 even tho I might buy an htc one because it is very good looking phone !

The HTC One is amazing looking but has some serious drawbacks with no removable battery and no expandable storage. Also when the screen is on you will notice it actually has some pretty noticable black borders on the right and left side of the display making it look a lot smaller than it should... kind of an annoyance on an otherwise beautiful display

Last edited:
Reactions: sangeev

shahkam

Jan 22, 2011
Canada
The HTC One is amazing looking but has some serious drawbacks with no removable battery and no expandable storage. Also when the screen is on you will notice it actually has some pretty noticable black borders on the right and left side of the display making it look a lot smaller than it should... kind of an annoyance on an otherwise beautiful display

Yeah well I'm not much of an heavy user so use of sdcard is not for me battery I can deal whit it but yeah I noticed the black borders its annoying. ..

I'm very curious about that 4 ultra mega pixel to see how it performs against other smarthphones currently out !

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
Note Deuce FTMFW!!! On a side note, if the N2 is too big for some folks, I would get a S3 because its unlocked, plenty of development, and the S4 is not that huge of a upgrade imo...not to mention the S3 can be had for a reasonable price. I prefer the N2 because I have huge hands,amazing battery life, and 2gb of ram.

Last edited:

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
Note Deuce FTMFW!!! On a side note, if the N2 is too big for some folks, I would get a S3 because its unlocked, plenty of development, and the S4 is not that huge of a upgrade imo...not to mention the S3 can be had for a reasonable price. I prefer the N2 because I have huge hands,amazing battery life, and 2gb of ram.

This is the way I'm leaning (GN2) because I have pretty big hands too so the size can be dealt with, but it might take a while to get used to that monster in my pocket (Fascinate is just so easy to pull out quick to check the time, etc).

The price really needs to drop before I pick it up though, $300 is just too much so if the GS4 releases with a $200 price point and the GN2 doesn't drop in price for whatever reason I will probably end up just getting the GS4. I know it's not a huge upgrade from the GS3 as you say, but the screen is noticeably bigger, brighter, and clearer to me plus it has a bigger battery. Those small upgrades alone are enough to sway me if the price isn't more than $200 (I could care less about all the gimmicky touchwiz stuff they showed off yesterday).

edit: scratch that, it's only $150 on amazon wireless so that pretty much changes things. I'm going to have to go and play with it a bit at the store and then make my decision.

Last edited:

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
Yeah well I'm not much of an heavy user so use of sdcard is not for me battery I can deal whit it but yeah I noticed the black borders its annoying. ..

I'm very curious about that 4 ultra mega pixel to see how it performs against other smarthphones currently out !

It's very nice and probably the best looking pictures/video I've ever seen on a smartphone yet. There's some test pictures/videos that pocketnow did on youtube, just search em up

bbrad

Sep 22, 2012
Lucedale
I'm never upgrading :cool: I get no lag and I'm on the latest version of android what more could a guy ask for?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: boycott_france

bbrad

Sep 22, 2012
Lucedale
yes, but what happens if the fascinate isn't upgraded to key lime pie (or whatever the new android OS is)? the gnote2 will seriously be a long lasting phone with development going a long way.

Then I will upgrade but to a galaxy s4 but I'm not worried about it for at least another year because I can almost 99% tell you the fascinate is getting key lime pie that could probably last me another 2yrs why fix something if it ain't Brocken? If this fascinate is still running like grease lightning I feel no need to upgrade.

hhp_211

May 15, 2008
I'm never upgrading :cool: I get no lag and I'm on the latest version of android what more could a guy ask for?

I know right ?... I'd have to buy something outright,,, never plan to get back into contract subsidizing again... page plus pricing and hard to beat this super portable? jb 4.2.2 beast ?

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

yes, but what happens if the fascinate isn't upgraded to key lime pie (or whatever the new android OS is)? the gnote2 will seriously be a long lasting phone with development going a long way.

My heart wants a note ii ?✨... But my wallet says g nexus i515 when prices fall to $120 or less ?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
I know right ?... I'd have to buy something outright,,, never plan to get back into contract subsidizing again... page plus pricing and hard to beat this super portable? jb 4.2.2 beast ?

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

My heart wants a note ii ?✨... But my wallet says g nexus i515 when prices fall to $120 or less ?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

yeah, I definitely want to pick up a gnex (cdma) in the future, or pick up the newer nexus phone (even if it's gsm)

shahkam

Jan 22, 2011
Canada
It's very nice and probably the best looking pictures/video I've ever seen on a smartphone yet. There's some test pictures/videos that pocketnow did on youtube, just search em up

Its hard to notice the quality via a video having it in real life is even better..

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012

For me personally I really want a bigger screen (at least 5") because I watch a lot of video on my phone (sometimes gaming too) and as nice as the Fascinate is, it's just not big enough (again, this is just me). The fact that we have the latest android is amazing and all our developers are top notch, but still I can feel the phone struggling sometimes, especially during multitasking, so it'll be nice to have a newer phone that has a bit more horsepower to run the latest and greatest. I also want a better camera, NFC, and improved call quality, which no matter what I do to the Fascinate I won't ever get those either. I also want to gift this phone to a friend of mine who doesn't really have the money to own a nice smartphone, so it'll make me feel good to give her an awesome phone that will still get updates to hold her over for some years.

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
For me personally I really want a bigger screen (at least 5") because I watch a lot of video on my phone (sometimes gaming too) and as nice as the Fascinate is, it's just not big enough (again, this is just me). The fact that we have the latest android is amazing and all our developers are top notch, but still I can feel the phone struggling sometimes, especially during multitasking, so it'll be nice to have a newer phone that has a bit more horsepower to run the latest and greatest. I also want a better camera, NFC, and improved call quality, which no matter what I do to the Fascinate I won't ever get those either. I also want to gift this phone to a friend of mine who doesn't really have the money to own a nice smartphone, so it'll make me feel good to give her an awesome phone that will still get updates to hold her over for some years.

don't forget the spen and multiwindow are very nice features on the n2 that the s4 wont have. don't get me wrong the s4 will be a solid device, but I would go with whatever you can get a better deal on. At this point the hardware is far more capable than the software on the latest devices.

bbrad, I absolutely cringe at the thought of trying to run key lime pie on the fascinate. If you ever used a device with 2gb of ram for a week you would never go back trust me. I go weeks on end without rebooting and my n2 keeps on flying. Its time to upgrade bro. The fascinate was a great device in its day, but now its just a piece of history imo. not to mention the iphone now has the same size screen lol...that there would make me run like hell!!

Reactions: Crawshayi

bbrad

Sep 22, 2012
Lucedale
don't forget the spen and multiwindow are very nice features on the n2 that the s4 wont have. don't get me wrong the s4 will be a solid device, but I would go with whatever you can get a better deal on. At this point the hardware is far more capable than the software on the latest devices.

bbrad, I absolutely cringe at the thought of trying to run key lime pie on the fascinate. If you ever used a device with 2gb of ram for a week you would never go back trust me. I go weeks on end without rebooting and my n2 keeps on flying. Its time to upgrade bro. The fascinate was a great device in its day, but now its just a piece of history imo. not to mention the iphone now has the same size screen lol...that there would make me run like hell!!

People cringed at 4.2 on the fascinate remember when everyone said it would be horrible and laggy? Look at us now I haven't rebooted my fascinate for a week still no lag I've used many big ram devices like the n4 let's put it this way my phone on AOKP is faster than most of these newer devices on stock lol and I can't upgrade anyway I'm 14 and I. Can't exactly start a new contract due to I won't be able to pay for it so I would have to outright buy a phone and I don't have the money to do that

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z13ryf4jbtjyxhdlc221hl44tznvd3hhv04

Best bet: disregard android central as a "news" site, and completely block sites from your browser that repost android central information as "news".
    Okay guys, I've decided to return the S4 tomorrow. As much as I love this thing, I also hate it and a big reason for that is how my Fascinate has NO compromises where as this thing has a long way to go. If anyone is on the fence about this phone let me break down how I've felt over the past week of owning it:

What I love:

1) The screen. Holy crap, the screen. This thing is drop dead gorgeous and EVERYTHING you do on it looks stunning. 5" is also a perfect display size for me, not too big (Note 2) and not too small (HTC One).

2) The camera. Using the camera was an absolute breeze. Not only was it fast and full of features, but it did the main thing it was supposed to do right- and that is take beautiful pictures. Pretty much every single thing I've taken a picture of has been incredibly detailed and has very accurate colors. I don't feel like I'd ever need any other camera after owning this phone honestly. It's that good.

3) How light it is. This phone is, believe it or not, LIGHTER THAN THE FASCINATE. I don't know how the engineers pulled it off, but they somehow packed all that tech into a featherweight frame. Some people might not like how light it is, but I love it.

4) Battery life. No, it's not as good as the Note 2, but it's way better than what you would expect. I can get a full day of heavy use out of it easily. Pulled it off the charger at 6:30am and got home at 4:30pm with moderate use and still had 75% left. Boss.

5) Charging time. This thing can go from nearly empty to fully charged in less than 2 hours. No seriously, this thing charges quick as hell. It's really nice.

Okay, so now, here's some of the reasons why I finally decided to return it. All of the above was just not enough to justify keeping it unfortunately.

What I hate about this phone:

1) LAG. Yes, LAG. There are other phones on the market right now that have bloatware and don't lag (HTC One), so don't tell me it's just a fact of life. A phone with these monster specs should not ever lag, and yet it constantly stutters during day-to-day use, from simple things like switching apps to pressing the home button. I was using Nova too, so it would have probably been worse on stock launcher. They will probably release an update to address this issue, but until then, it's not acceptable. Shame on you, Samsung.

2) Touchwiz. This sorta relates to the lag issue seeing as it makes a ton of processes run in the background, but still deserves a separate remark. I realize some people may like how Touchwiz looks and feels, but I'm not one of them and I despise not having a choice but to have it running. Installing Nova is not enough to distract me, either.

3) Development not mature. It's obviously a new phone, so it'll take some time to get good stable roms going, but as many of you can understand once you go with a custom rom, you can't go back to stock. With the S4 'Nexus' around the corner, it pretty much guarantees some killer AOSP roms will be hitting for this phone... in the future. For right now, the user experience is complete garbage in my eyes.

4) Build quality issues. The first 2 phones I got handed had faulty volume rockers, and the 3rd one (that I have now) has a sticky home button. Let this be a lesson to you, never buy anything from the first shipment. They most likely have problems that need to get addressed.

And that's that. I'm going to go back to loving my Fascinate again, and wait out the storm and give time for developers to make this phone into a true flagship, and not the rushed crap Samsung delivered (talking software here, not hardware). I plan to re-purchase the phone in hopefully 3-4 months if I decide that enough development has happened to warrant it. Oh, and if the Note 3 looks too good to pass up... well, I guess we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Hopefully this was somewhat insightful to anyone on the fence about this phone, and I'll update it if I decide to re-purchase it later on. In the meantime, the Fascinate lives on :victory:
    They make more money that way? It's the same price to preorder as it is to buy it after, I thought the point was just to make sure you get one. I know that Sprint already ran out of them haha.

Actually there's almost no difference in the 8-core vs Snapdragon, and in fact the Snapdragon beat the 8-core in certain things! Check here for more info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5im3WAZYc Also, the Snapdragon will most certainly have better development than the 8-core anyway...

True been waiting since dec when I herd of the release so guess I am being a lil picky lol. Came across the s4's launcher, ported for all devices, if anyone interested :silly:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2236937
    I'm probably going to get a t-mobile s4 in June when my Verizon upgrade is up. By then the whole cm-yes-or-no question should be answered. I honestly believe that, considering the sheer number of people buying this phone, there should be at least one or two decent devs in the mix. Worst comes to worst, I can fall back on the s3.

Posted from my Fascinate using XDA Premium

Droidstyle had already proven that to be a hoax. Of course there's going to be Cyanogenmod for the S4, there's no reason they would just ignore (arguably) the best android on the market right now. I'll probably just keep mine stock for a while while the roms start to mature a bit, just to minimize running into a crapload of bugs.
    Boy that is one ugly phone

Sent from my EVO using xda premium