Installing a CUSTOM ROM, totally newbie!

Search This thread

HamShaw

Sep 2, 2014
Hey everyone!...

So I recently upgraded my 4x HD to Jelly Bean and now I realized that I made a mistake, my phone has been wrecked, performs like crap. I formatted the phone before upgrading to JB but that didn't do any good. At first I encountered ram issue, for no reason without having installed any apps, I was having about 200 mb of free ram compared to average of 270 mb's in ICS, however after going thru topics here at XDA forums, I was able to fix the ram issue and now I have 250 mbs+ normally free but it's still doing me no good. Those games that used to run butter smooth on ICS now lags on JB, especially after few minutes of play, phone gets hot and games start lagging and I have no idea why, I haven't installed any battery saving apps.

Here's some tests/info

Can't post external links :*(

Stability test result (Doesn't seem right)
i.imgur.com/Yd7Yogv.png?1

Android info
i.imgur.com/2Ly7fPu.png?1

Benchmark result
i.imgur.com/Thx8nHq.png?

@admins
Sorry to do that, I am not spamming so I hope this isn't a violation of rules, please excuse me.

Given how awfully my phone performs compared to ICS, I am genuinely surprised by the benchmark results, it's about 1.5k higher than it was in ICS.

Short of all that, I see no other solution than installing a custom rom, I need to know what's the best custom rom available and where do I begin. I have never done this before. Links to tutorial and rom would be highly appreciated, thanks :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:

Omario-242

Feb 18, 2011
Munich
Google Pixel 6 Pro
You may noticed that nobody answered your thread yet and there's a reason for it. If you read the rules of xda (I assume you did) there are a few problems here: First and most important, "Search before posting". The ram management and its problems on JB compared to ICS have been discussed many times and as you're a clever person you will find those related threads easily by a brief search. Second rule you didn't follow is, that "Best ROM/Kernel etc threads" aren't allowed on XDA at all, so nobody will answer that. If you ask why you didn't read the rules at all and that's you fault.

For your main question: Installing/Flashing a custom ROM isn't that hard if you (and that part is important) follow the easy accessible tutorials in the general section. If you have a specific problem in the whole unlocking, rooting and/or flashing process we are very likely able to help you but no one will provide a full tutorial in a Q&A thread just because you don't even try to follow said tutorials.

This is not meant as an insult or anything, just a hint for you to get the needed knowledge: Read, everything you don't know, google it or search on XDA as there's a good chance you'll be able to get an answer yourself.

So please follow the rules and/or read them (again) carefully before posting next time.

I wish you a successful future with the android custom ROM scene in this forum.

Sent from my Optimus4XHD using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

b886b

Jan 22, 2012
If you are more satisfied with the performance on ics, I believed that you can always downgrade using the links in this great forum. As for flashing custom rom, there are plenty of them on xda and you can browse through them and choose the one that suits you best, just remember to root and unlock before performing the flashing of custom roms.

HamShaw

Sep 2, 2014
You may noticed that nobody answered your thread yet and there's a reason for it. If you read the rules of xda (I assume you did) there are a few problems here: First and most important, "Search before posting". The ram management and its problems on JB compared to ICS have been discussed many times and as you're a clever person you will find those related threads easily by a brief search. Second rule you didn't follow is, that "Best ROM/Kernel etc threads" aren't allowed on XDA at all, so nobody will answer that. If you ask why you didn't read the rules at all and that's you fault.

For your main question: Installing/Flashing a custom ROM isn't that hard if you (and that part is important) follow the easy accessible tutorials in the general section. If you have a specific problem in the whole unlocking, rooting and/or flashing process we are very likely able to help you but no one will provide a full tutorial in a Q&A thread just because you don't even try to follow said tutorials.

This is not meant as an insult or anything, just a hint for you to get the needed knowledge: Read, everything you don't know, google it or search on XDA as there's a good chance you'll be able to get an answer yourself.

So please follow the rules and/or read them (again) carefully before posting next time.

I wish you a successful future with the android custom ROM scene in this forum.

Sent from my Optimus4XHD using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I totally get it, it's my bad but the thing is that I did search thoroughly before posting here and there were dozens of custom roms there and I couldn't decide which one to get. Firstly I thought I'd go with Cybermodgen but then I read somewhere that it isn't the best option available so that kind of made me indecisive.

I see that you've been using Optimus 4x HD as well, could you answer a few things, it'll help me decide what to do next.

Which rom are you using?
How do you rate its performance compared to JB?
Should I go back to ICS or move on to a custom ROM?

I'd highly appreciate your help!.

Last edited:

Omario-242

Feb 18, 2011
Munich
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I totally get it, it's my bad but the thing is that I did search thoroughly before posting here and there were dozens of custom roms there and I couldn't decide which one to get. Firstly I thought I'd go with Cybermodgen but then I read somewhere that it isn't the best option available so that kind of made me indecisive.

I see that you've been using Optimus 4x HD as well, could you answer a few things, it'll help me decide what to do next.

Which rom are you using?
How do you rate its performance compared to JB?
Should I go back to ICS or move on to a custom ROM?

I'd highly appreciate your help!.

I'm using the LiquidSmooth v3.2 by Mourta
with his awesome kernel based on iodaks great work.

The performance I got with this one is the best I ever had (on custom roms)
but you'll have to set up a few things but they are all stated in the dedicated thread over here:
http://www.modaco.com/forum/594-lg-optimus-4x-hd-4xhdmodacocom/

The first three threads are the interesting ones.

I would definitely move on to a custom rom instead of going back to ics
which is in my opinion way below regarding it's performance and/or the amount of it's features.