Headset remote problem

Search This thread

brianbrain

Sep 1, 2010
Chicago, IL
Am I the only one who's noticed that the headset controls don't work for pausing/playing or really doing anything with music at all? No matter what headset I try, the remote control just jumps straight to the recent calls list and attempts to call the last person I dialed..what gives? Is this unique to me or is anyone else experiencing this? Does anyone know of an in-ear canal headset that has working music remote controls?

ravizzle

Dec 16, 2009
Sacramento
try using a different music player from market such as cubed ^3 or mixzing, then go into the setting for that music player and make sure use headphone controls is activated

brianbrain

Sep 1, 2010
Chicago, IL
I just tried both of those music apps, and while I HAVE to thank you for showing me mixzing (nice improvement over the stock android app), the headset controls STILL do the same thing! I unchecked and rechecked the settings and no matter what, the phone always defaults to opening the recent calls list instead of pausing/playing/skipping..

Is there anyone else out there having this issue with their Epic? Perhaps I got a defective unit?

ravizzle

Dec 16, 2009
Sacramento
glad u liked mixzing, cubed in my opinion is even sicker. I get my epic tomorrow so ill check and let u know how it goes

brianbrain

Sep 1, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks for your help Ravizzle - I'm anxiously awaiting your results! I tried cubed, but I found the cube interface a little too flashy and unintuitive - I did only give it a single glance over and headset check, so perhaps I need to give it a bit more time next time ;)

ravizzle

Dec 16, 2009
Sacramento
Got my epic today, sadly it didnt work for me either with the included wired headset. My stereo bluetooth is charging so ill try that out and see, but so far its disappointing that headphone controls dont work, perhaps the email the devs for mixzing and cubed and maybe they need to add support for epic still cuz its new.

brianbrain

Sep 1, 2010
Chicago, IL
Well I guess it's good news mine's not defective..but still pretty freking annoying. I'm surprised I don't hear many people complaining about this..I've tried a bluetooth headset and the controls do appear to work, but I hate the look of wearing a BT headset - I feel sort of..well I wont go in to that. Regardless, I realize there are devices like the the Jabra Clipper which would make me feel slightly less..you know. Anyone have any preferences on devices like these?

lleinado

Jul 3, 2010
I use the Motorola Rokkers Bluetooth. They don't look silly cause it's on both ears unlike those Jawbreaker things. They look very sporty and I use them for walking and bicycle riding. The sound is HD and the controls all work. I am using 3 cube music.

I noticed that I can't answer a call (unlike my Evo and Moment) when using with the Epic. That sucks, but all the music controls work fine and the sound is incredible. My Rokkers are a year or so old - maybe I'll try the newer ones to see if I get the phone controls back.

mrj76

Oct 8, 2007
Well I guess it's good news mine's not defective..but still pretty freking annoying. I'm surprised I don't hear many people complaining about this..I've tried a bluetooth headset and the controls do appear to work, but I hate the look of wearing a BT headset - I feel sort of..well I wont go in to that. Regardless, I realize there are devices like the the Jabra Clipper which would make me feel slightly less..you know. Anyone have any preferences on devices like these?

I too am surprised at the lack of post about the BT problems. I have no handsfree control on the epic. For one that paid full retail for the phone I pretty POed:mad: about it. (Plus no spell checker in email, can't download attachments via exchange) I smell a 30day return coming if things don't improve.

brianbrain

Sep 1, 2010
Chicago, IL
Well, I just ended up getting a Jabra Clipper. Amazon and Verizon stores both sell them, and it serves my needs well. You can use the headphones of your choice (though it comes with an OK pair), and all remote functions work. I like it so far (especially since I don't look like a tool with a big flashing blue light around my neck).

Highly suggested!

ldrn

Apr 23, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Well, I just ended up getting a Jabra Clipper. Amazon and Verizon stores both sell them, and it serves my needs well. You can use the headphones of your choice (though it comes with an OK pair), and all remote functions work. I like it so far (especially since I don't look like a tool with a big flashing blue light around my neck).

Highly suggested!
I bought this, too; I had the older dogtag mini-usb model, but the audio out had broken... Verizon has it with free overnight shipping for ~$5 cheaper than Amazon right now.

I ran into a problem, though -- I couldn't get it working with my music player. :( No play/pause, no next/prev. Someone else suggested TuneWiki, so I installed that and it actually works great, but it's something to be aware of if you're considering this.

(Also, in place of dedicated next and prev buttons, you have to hold the vol-up and vol-down for a second or so, but but it works pretty okay. I wish the volume buttons on the phone worked like that, too. :))

chococrazy

Sep 3, 2007
Houston
For those of you wondering why- It's because samsung puts there polarity in different order than most companies do. When people make headphones they generally make them to the polarity of apple's.
This is also why bluetooth ones work fine, and wired don't.

Do you guys hear buzzing when you use headphones with a mic?