Unfixable Google Loop - So frustrated

Search This thread

buelldozer

Jun 16, 2007
I bought my Nexus 7 2013 shortly after they were available and it was a good device until the release of KitKat. After the KitKat OTA it's been a piece of junk.

After the KitKat OTA it developed a problem where the tablet was on but the touchscreen was unresponsive. The only way to fix it was to shut it down by holding the power button. Eventually it started being stubborn and I'd have to power cycle it several times before it would clear the Google screen. That gradually progressed to having to do a system reset before it would come back to life.

On December 15th it finally refused to go past the Google splash. Attempting to boot into recovery also left you stuck at the Google logo. At the time I tried the WUGFresh tools to do a stock recovery and while I was successful in unlocking no amount of flashing / formatting / erasing would give you a normal boot or a recovery screen.

I sent it off to ASUS on 12/17 and got it back this past Monday (1/13). It worked fine until Tuesday night when once again the screen was unresponsive and I had to shut it down by holding the power button. It's now stuck at the Google screen and no amount of flashing / formatting / erasing using FreshWug or fastboot directly via command line has brought it back.

Here's what I've done so far:

• Spammed flash-all at least 6 times
  • fastboot format of /boot /system /userdata /cache multiple times
  • Multiple runs of WUGFresh
  • Flashed 4.4.2 and 4.3 images

What else is there I can do aside from sending it back to ASUS?

Pandae

Dec 14, 2013
As Micheal said, can you get to the bootloader? Do all of these commands go successfully?

fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

I don't use Wug's tool, preferring to do things from the command line so I know exactly what's being done and to see error messages.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
As Micheal said, can you get to the bootloader? Do all of these commands go successfully?

fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

I don't use Wug's tool, preferring to do things from the command line so I know exactly what's being done and to see error messages.

This

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Odex SinLess ROM 4.4.2 with ElementalX kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

buelldozer

Jun 16, 2007

fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

Yes to all of those, I just did them again to verify. FYI WUG opens a command shell as it runs fastboot so you can see what it's up to.

Anywhoo I reflashed kot49h (manually) and got the same result, stuck at Google. If this thing wasn't still under warranty I'd snap it in half and light the two halves on fire.:mad:

Any other ideas?

buelldozer

Jun 16, 2007
So I ran through the procedure once more last night and it worked! After about 20 minutes the tablet rebooted on it's own, displayed the working android and then booted up. I guess you just need to reflash 22 times? :confused:

cobyman7035

Oct 24, 2012
TORONTO
So I ran through the procedure once more last night and it worked! After about 20 minutes the tablet rebooted on it's own, displayed the working android and then booted up. I guess you just need to reflash 22 times? :confused:
any updates? is it working fine now? any random reboots? god i hated that on my 1st nex7fhd, im on my 2nd one, its and perfect aside from the 'low speaker volume' stock

userdelroot

Aug 7, 2010
Florida
I'm also curious.
As long as the flashes are done correctly it should boot fine.
However, I had a similar issue flashing stock.
The fix was to flash stock. Boot.
If it boot looped restart and wipe dalivik cache and cache and reboot. It should start then. just an FYI...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

buelldozer

Jun 16, 2007
So it did it again but following the previous directions I was able to unloop it immediately the big story though is WHY it was looping.

I have a minisuit BT keyboard / case ( http://www.amazon.com/Minisuit-Blue...=UTF8&qid=1390433882&sr=8-3&keywords=minisuit ). The thing is dynamite and I love it and it worked great! The keyboard has a low power battery saver state so after you don't use it for a few minutes it basically goes to sleep until you tap a few buttons and wake it up.

I went a week with no issues but I wasn't using the keyboard. When I did finally use the keyboard I would stop typing and let it go to sleep as I always do. When I tapped a few keys it would wake up and then wake up the N7 and it's screen but the screen would -not- accept touch input. I had to hold the power button down and force the N7 to shut off. When I powered it back up...BAM...LOOPED.

It didn't do this before the Kit Kat upgrade. It's obvious that something is wrong with the BT stack in 4.4.2 and when a HID goes into a low power state it hoses the touch input. Since the touch input is hosed you can't shut it down correctly and the file system corrupts, likely the /system partition.

If I use the N7 without the keyboard it's perfectly fine.

userdelroot I couldn't clear dalvik on mine because I couldn't boot to recovery. All boot options lead to a Google Loop.

Last edited:

mookdawg7

I have had exactly the same experience, basically. Just got mine back from ASUS, worked for about a day, and then BAM, back to the same DAMN thing! I think you may be on to something about the BT stack. If there is any common thread to both my breakdowns, its that my Nexus got screwed not long after i paired a BT headset with it. Its late and I'm frustrated as all hell so please forgive my short rant. So what to do? Do I send it back to ASUS and hope they actually replace it this time? (The invoice I got back from them was very strange incidentally. I couldn't tell what they did, except among four parts listed, they seemed to replace a "cracked, broken screen" which was not the way it was when I sent it to them???!) Or should I just keep reflashing and hope it takes, as it seemed to do for you? But then can I risk pairing my BT headset again?! This sux.

Update: Woke up this morning, turned it on, and it booted up! WTF? Not complaining I guess. Taking it easy this time, unlocked bootloader still of course, but holding off rooting, and not going to pair any BT with it for awhile. Although its kinda BS I should have to try it this way...

Last edited:

buelldozer

Jun 16, 2007
It's at it again but this time time I wasn't using my keyboard (I quit using it thinking that was the problem).I'm attempting to unloop it again using the same procedure as before. Use of the BT may aggravate the problem (it certainly took longer to glitch out this time) but it's not the whole problem.

I didn't have these problems before the 4.4 update so I'm rolling back to 4.3 for some testing.

Last edited:

Demian87

Nov 9, 2009
Saint-Petersburg
It's at it again but this time time I wasn't using my keyboard (I quit using it thinking that was the problem).I'm attempting to unloop it again using the same procedure as before. Use of the BT may aggravate the problem (it certainly took longer to glitch out this time) but it's not the whole problem.

I didn't have these problems before the 4.4 update so I'm rolling back to 4.3 for some testing.

I have the same problem. Described it right here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2653430
Nothing helps me =( Please, write down any solution, you are able to find.

You wrote, you was able to boot it normally. What did you do for that?

Last edited:

buelldozer

Jun 16, 2007
I have the same problem. Described it right here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2653430
Nothing helps me =( Please, write down any solution, you are able to find.

You wrote, you was able to boot it normally. What did you do for that?

Perform these steps in this order:

fastboot format userdata
fastboot format cache
fastboot format system

fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

fastboot flash-all.bat

Then wait at least a full hour before deciding it didn't work. Mine takes a very long time to 'recover' and boot up after that procedure. I'm beginning to suspect that the problem is actually in the /cache partition as it's one of the things that isn't addressed in the flash-all script and it appears to retain information between reboots. The next time this happens I'm going to format and erase just cache and see what happens.

I'm serious on waiting a full hour, and it may take two. I just started it on mine and am timing it now to see what it actually takes.

Demian87

Nov 9, 2009
Saint-Petersburg
Perform these steps in this order:

fastboot format userdata
fastboot format cache
fastboot format system

fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

fastboot flash-all.bat

Then wait at least a full hour before deciding it didn't work. Mine takes a very long time to 'recover' and boot up after that procedure. I'm beginning to suspect that the problem is actually in the /cache partition as it's one of the things that isn't addressed in the flash-all script and it appears to retain information between reboots. The next time this happens I'm going to format and erase just cache and see what happens.

I'm serious on waiting a full hour, and it may take two. I just started it on mine and am timing it now to see what it actually takes.

Thank you a lot! I'll try to leave it turned on for the whole night. I left it only for 45 minutes before that. Probably, that was not enough.

buelldozer

Jun 16, 2007
My tablet is now at 3.5 hours and still hasn't left the "Google" screen. "All Night" might be the correct time frame. I'll give it another 4 hours and see what that does.

Demian87

Nov 9, 2009
Saint-Petersburg
My tablet is now at 3.5 hours and still hasn't left the "Google" screen. "All Night" might be the correct time frame. I'll give it another 4 hours and see what that does.

My tablet is now at 9:15 hours and still at Google logo. I'm guessing that the time is not the only matter for normal boot up.:(

---

Now after 11 hours I gave up. =(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Might be an hardware issue, don't get stuck with software too much, send it again until they replace it.